OTA update after rooting

Search This thread

Mohamed_Aly

Feb 26, 2014
Alexandria
So.. I was on 14.2.A.1.136 (4.3) stock firmware.. I wanted to root and I had to downgrade to 4.2.2 then root then flashing 14.2.A.0.290 (4.3) firmware.. Thanks to @shem2409 and @[NUT] for this method.
Anyway.. After rooting and flashing and all of that.. I received an OTA update for the stock 14.2.A.1.136 firmware.. And I was really surprised because what I know is that you lose the OTA updates and pc companion updates capabilities after you root your phone.
So my Question is.. If I updated the firmware OTA will I lose thr root? I can't afford to root it again for at least 3 weeks because my laptop is on the maintenance right now ..and I need the root privileges.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

rossvatsan

Mar 13, 2014
So.. I was on 14.2.A.1.136 (4.3) stock firmware.. I wanted to root and I had to downgrade to 4.2.2 then root then flashing 14.2.A.0.290 (4.3) firmware.. Thanks to @Nut for this method.
Anyway.. After rooting and flashing and all of that.. I received an OTA update for the stock 14.2.A.1.136 firmware.. And I was really surprised because what I know is that you lose the OTA updates and pc companion updates capabilities after you root your phone.
So my Question is.. If I updated the firmware OTA will I lose thr root? I can't afford to root it again for at least 3 weeks because my laptop is on the maintenance right now ..and I need the root privileges.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hi

Did the same thing for my phone....however I did not update back to 4.3 via ota but instead downloaded the pre-rooted firmware version for 14.2.A.1.136 pointed out bh someone to me on xda. I'd suggest you do the same as I havent lost root access after finishing this.

Mohamed_Aly

Feb 26, 2014
Alexandria
Hi

Did the same thing for my phone....however I did not update back to 4.3 via ota but instead downloaded the pre-rooted firmware version for 14.2.A.1.136 pointed out bh someone to me on xda. I'd suggest you do the same as I havent lost root access after finishing this.

is it the same firmware ?? I mean .. is there any differences between the pre-rooted version and the original ?
and I read about that there is a chance of hard brick the phone after doing this .. did you face any similar problem ?