Omni Rom For MTK Devices

Should Omni rom be released for MTK phones?

• Yes

Votes: 524 98.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Mr.Ak

Jan 14, 2015
*RESTRICTED AREA*
Ok,guys i got KK Mt6592 source for my Micromax A350 from clone Wiko highway And i believe that I can make a custom kernel from that source with Many features that i would love to see like "Double tap Whilst Screen is Off To Wake Up" And more good stuff like that......And for that i read a guide by MasterAwesome but there are few things i Cant able to understand [Nope actually many things]...
So please Is there anybody help me start with this?
Please Any Help Would be Very much appreciated..
Regards
Mr.Ak

a1smkshp

Mar 2, 2016
I have a Samsung galaxy rush with 4.1 installed. I just found it in the drawer and would love to update it to the best possible. If omnirom works then that would be fine

BlueFlame4

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 10, 2011
Dresden, Germany
Since ZOPO has released MT6753 ROM and Kernel sources I think this thread is relevant again. I'll try to get Omni 5.1.1 running with it - already got CM 12.1 up, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. What do you think of pushing ZOPO sources into upstream @Entropy512. Wouldn't be a license violation I think since they're published anyways I guess?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
OK, THAT is interesting.

It will probably require quite a bit of effort to properly integrate it into an AOSP-derivative tree such as Omni's so that it can coexist with all of our other devices in a single tree and be maintainable long-term.

As a bit of history - a rather nice OEM gave some of us a complete drop of their entire MTK tree that they used for a particular device.

The tree had numerous issues:
1) Serious licensing conflict problems with some of the files in the tree
2) The tree itself was designed to only build within an ancient version of Ubuntu - something like 10.04 LTS for a device released in 2014??? - Getting it to work with any recent build host was a massive headache/nightmare
3) A number of components were closed-source - not even the OEM had source
3b) Quite a few of these closed-source components would function fairly well when used with the same Android version they were designed for, but were designed in such a way that they failed quite badly when used with any other Android version. IIRC, we had 4.2 or 4.3 sources, xplodwild was able to get the device sort-of running with 4.3, and 4.4 was a complete and total failure that he gave up on

I'll try to take a look at that source drop in the next week or two.

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
OK, THAT is interesting.

It will probably require quite a bit of effort to properly integrate it into an AOSP-derivative tree such as Omni's so that it can coexist with all of our other devices in a single tree and be maintainable long-term.

As a bit of history - a rather nice OEM gave some of us a complete drop of their entire MTK tree that they used for a particular device.

The tree had numerous issues:
1) Serious licensing conflict problems with some of the files in the tree
2) The tree itself was designed to only build within an ancient version of Ubuntu - something like 10.04 LTS for a device released in 2014??? - Getting it to work with any recent build host was a massive headache/nightmare
3) A number of components were closed-source - not even the OEM had source
3b) Quite a few of these closed-source components would function fairly well when used with the same Android version they were designed for, but were designed in such a way that they failed quite badly when used with any other Android version. IIRC, we had 4.2 or 4.3 sources, xplodwild was able to get the device sort-of running with 4.3, and 4.4 was a complete and total failure that he gave up on

I'll try to take a look at that source drop in the next week or two.

I know this thread is somewhat old now and I am unsure if you are still involved with Omni or not. :confused:
It seems no Android OS's officially supports Mediatek devices.
I realise that sources were a real issue way back when but there is now plenty of Mediatek source leaked or official and I am talking about Full source not just Kernel Source.
OrangePi released Full Android 6.0 and Android 8.1 for their 4G-IOT board which is has a MT6737 CPU.
Given this full source can Omni add or assist officially with development of devices that use CPU's supported by that Source Code MT6737, MT6755, MT6750, MT6763 etc etc.
I mostly use Sony Devices so have access to fully working Kernel Sources for all their MediaTek devices.
Some big advances have been made on the Sony XA (MT6755) and the Sony L1 (MT6737) but we are struggling to get them across the finishing line.
https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xa/development/tuba-lineageos-14-1-t3878212 Virtually abandoned now :crying:
https://xdaforums.com/xperia-l1/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-sony-xperia-l1-aka-t4053193 Still active but running out of ideas now.

Any help, ideas, support or any official Omni Dev's willing to help?
Pretty sure we could fund a dev device if anyone is will to take on the challenge.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I know this thread is somewhat old now and I am unsure if you are still involved with Omni or not. :confused:
Just popped in to XDA after a very long break.

I'm basically retired from Android platform development and have been for many years (2015-2016 or so at least). I think I may technically have rights on Omni gerrit, it's just symbolic and I haven't done anything in many years.

I still avoid Mediatek products like the plague that they are. Except I think the FireHD 10 is MTK-based now? Other than sideloading Play Store, I bought it because it was dirt cheap and I was happy with what was already known to be available. I haven't even rooted a device in 2+ years.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many rom projects like Cyanogen mod, Paranoid droid rom and many others were released only for renowned company phones like Galaxy Series, Nexus series etc etc, where as millions & billions of MTK soc phones that contribute alot to the daily millions of Android activations are left out. Many MTK phones developers started request threads for cyanogen mod and other rom communities to build/release a rom for MTK phones but those request were neglected till date.

Now with the start of new rom project "Omni", MTK phone devs are hoping that this rom will also be compiled & released for MTK phones. We want Omni pioneers to release this rom for millions & billions of MTK phones.

We are willing to help you guys making Omni rom project better & grow.

Regards
    This will happen. When you're able to watch the presentation video (which will be up in the next few days) you'll notice that @XpLoDWilD shows Omni running on the Oppo R819, a quad-core MTK device.
    Not large enough to be the full source. I too have an A1000 now. I think most of the MediaTek savvy devs are looking at just building any ROM, not the grand plan of Kitkat quite yet. But there is hope in the air -- and leaked sources.

I will hack the stock A1000 ROM shortly... I've only had it for 1 day. ;)

So far, complete platform sources are known to exist for Oppo R819 (we have access to them but they are not public), and I think there's leaked source for an 8577 device.

Those R819 sources have a bunch of hardcoded stuff so they'll only build on something like Ubuntu 10.10 with a bunch of tools installed in hardcoded paths... xplodwild, rayman and a few others have been working on getting things integrated with omni, and so far:

1) On 4.3, the device boots only if you completely remove hwcomposer. Many things still didn't work - pretty much it booted and not much else
    2) On 4.4, I believe the GPU drivers are still crashing on boot
    This will happen. When you're able to watch the presentation video (which will be up in the next few days) you'll notice that @XpLoDWilD shows Omni running on the Oppo R819, a quad-core MTK device.

There are a lot of things in the way. Also, any MTK devices that ship without kernel sources (there are a lot of them) are still out of luck.

The R819 is a game changer here - Oppo really wants it to receive community firmware support and has been EXTREMELY cooperative with us in terms of getting us documentation.
    Yo tengo un M4 ss4040 con MTK6582, seria perfecto ver una rom de Omni Rom para este dispositivo, ya que trae Android 4.2.2 y no tiene actualización.

ee81f50e-11f7-4327-9062-f057a256b93b.png