[TUT]Extract kernel "zimage" From boot.img and Convert to .tar and Flash using Odin

Was This Thread Helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

exceptionalkhan

Apr 24, 2013
Swat
[TUT]Extract kernel "zimage" From boot.img and Convert to .tar and Flash using Odin

[Extremely Noob GUIDE]Since there is no explained and easy Guide to Extract Kernel [zimage] and Ramdisk [Ramdisk] from Boot.img, Then Convert it to zimage.tar and Flash it using Odin
Well here it is step by step:

Note: This Method is used to Extract Kernels form Stock Rom's Boot.img
First you need to install Python, which is round about 17MBs software freely available on python website.
Step 1:Download the attached Python script named "split_boot_img" from attachments down Below, Extract it and copy to the folder created in Step 2.

Step 2:Create a folder with any name you like. I recommend "boot.img extraction".

Step 3: Copy the boot.img, you want to extract, to the folder you created in Step 2.

Step 4: Run the script named "split_boot_img"by double-clicking and see the magic.

Congratulations!!! Here you go. the "zimage" and "ramdisk" files are extracted.

Now the Conversion Part:

Step 1: Download this IZARC software and install it from Here:http://www.izarc.org/download.html

Step 2: Open the folder created in First-Step 2.

Step 3: Right Click the ziamge File Extracted from boot.img. as in Image 1 in attachments.

Step 4: Select add to archive file from IzArc right click options as in Image 1 in attachments.

Step 5: Now scroll the Archiving type to ".tar" as in Image 2 in attachments.

Step 6: Click the Add button as in Image 3 in attachments.

Last Step: Now flash the "zimage" file created in Step 6 Using Odin.

View attachment split_boot_img.zip

Image 1: 1.jpg

Image 2: 2.jpg

Image 3:3.jpg

Last edited:

dotuletz

Jan 9, 2012
OnePlus 9
Python script of yours is not working.Its giving error which flashes for microsecond and i am unable to see it

Maybe he should have put in that you need to use Python 2.7.9 not 3.x ... Had the same problem.
All steps worked after, but didn't flash it yet, I'll do it today or tomorrow.
Also you should mention IZArc is full of crapware, it open one install and even if I chose to not install stuff, it installed iStart and Search Enginer extensions to my browsers. After, surprise, another install showed up to actually install IZArc ... not I need to de-crap my system

Last edited:

Chillyz12

Jan 27, 2013
Maybe he should have put in that you need to use Python 2.7.9 not 3.x ... Had the same problem.
All steps worked after, but didn't flash it yet, I'll do it today or tomorrow.
Also you should mention IZArc is full of crapware, it open one install and even if I chose to not install stuff, it installed iStart and Search Enginer extensions to my browsers. After, surprise, another install showed up to actually install IZArc ... not I need to de-crap my system

Did the kernel.img actually work for you? I tried this same process as well. It took me 4 hours to clean all the maleware from my laptop. I mad the .Tar file and tried to flash it. it failed completely. I think this OP needs to be removed. More than likely the OP is getting paid for all the downloads he is tricking people into.

dotuletz

Jan 9, 2012
OnePlus 9
Did the kernel.img actually work for you? I tried this same process as well. It took me 4 hours to clean all the maleware from my laptop. I mad the .Tar file and tried to flash it. it failed completely. I think this OP needs to be removed. More than likely the OP is getting paid for all the downloads he is tricking people into.

No, it failed also. Yes, it should be removed.
Ended up using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446269 but for a strage reason Odin would not like it when I moved the .tar archive from a folder to an other from that method (I keep my pc organized), had to create the tar, flash it from that folder, then... deleted it because after I couldn't use it anymore.

Reactions: Chillyz12

Joker87

Jun 24, 2011
Perugia

dotuletz

Jan 9, 2012
OnePlus 9
It won't trip knox, right?

Flashing any modified boot / kernel / recovery trips Knox, doesn't matter what method you use. Sometimes even stock trips Knox as some users said.
What i did was take a stock rom from SamMobile that was 'hackable' through TowelRoot, extracted the kernel with WinRar, made the kernel flashable in Odin using that tool, flashed it via Odin, rooted device with TR, then used same steps to download,extract,make kernel bootable to restore my original kernel. Knox stayed 0x0 on i9195.
You can try reading about Heimdall. Supose you can flash without Odin and without converting. It would make your life easier, but for me it didn't work (didn't start on Win 64bit, i think i needed another MS visual c++ , a dependency of Heimdall).

ps.: the tool to create flashable archives would't work for me just by double-clicking, so I had to open an command prompt - CMD with admin rights, go to the directory where i had the tool and type ImgToTar.MD5.bat . Just put everything in C:\tool including recovery.img / boot.img or kernel.img then go start-> type in search box CMD -> right-click on the result and Run as admin -> in the black box type the next text followed by Enter key:
cd /
cd tool
ImgToTar.MD5.bat

Last edited:

Joker87

Jun 24, 2011
Perugia
I hope it works, i need it for the same reason of you, flashing an older kernel to root with towelroot keeping knox 0x0 at the end of this process

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[Extremely Noob GUIDE]Since there is no explained and easy Guide to Extract Kernel [zimage] and Ramdisk [Ramdisk] from Boot.img, Then Convert it to zimage.tar and Flash it using Odin
    Well here it is step by step:

Note: This Method is used to Extract Kernels form Stock Rom's Boot.img
    First you need to install Python, which is round about 17MBs software freely available on python website.
    Step 1:Download the attached Python script named "split_boot_img" from attachments down Below, Extract it and copy to the folder created in Step 2.

Step 2:Create a folder with any name you like. I recommend "boot.img extraction".

Step 3: Copy the boot.img, you want to extract, to the folder you created in Step 2.

Step 4: Run the script named "split_boot_img"by double-clicking and see the magic.

Congratulations!!! Here you go. the "zimage" and "ramdisk" files are extracted.

Now the Conversion Part:

Step 1: Download this IZARC software and install it from Here:http://www.izarc.org/download.html

Step 2: Open the folder created in First-Step 2.

Step 3: Right Click the ziamge File Extracted from boot.img. as in Image 1 in attachments.

Step 4: Select add to archive file from IzArc right click options as in Image 1 in attachments.

Step 5: Now scroll the Archiving type to ".tar" as in Image 2 in attachments.

Step 6: Click the Add button as in Image 3 in attachments.

Last Step: Now flash the "zimage" file created in Step 6 Using Odin.

View attachment split_boot_img.zip

Image 1: 1.jpg

Image 2: 2.jpg

Image 3:3.jpg

No, it failed also. Yes, it should be removed.
    Ended up using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446269 but for a strage reason Odin would not like it when I moved the .tar archive from a folder to an other from that method (I keep my pc organized), had to create the tar, flash it from that folder, then... deleted it because after I couldn't use it anymore.