What is your experience with SanDisk 64gb cards and the Note 2?

Search This thread

Joebroni

Dec 15, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Google Pixel 6 Pro
i have a sandisk 64 gb UHS-1 silver and red Class 10 formatted in exfat. i have had issues with this 64 gb card but none with the 32 gb. issues ive had with the 64gb include:

not working for recovery. it can read the card but not write to or install from.
Card disapearing at random - including in recovery and in the OS
Phone rebooting at random during use of the Card.
Running perseus kernel and i tried Exfat of different block sizes and fat32 of different block sizes. in fat32 i cant even access the card in some of my apps which is really weird. like they will see the card and the files but not necessarily be able to access them....

anyone else with similar experiences? and this odd stuff only happens during heavy load on the card. if i dont use it too much my note 2 can go on for days without problems.

Just started having problems the last few days myself. Running a Sandisk 32gb Class 10 that I bought from Amazon back in February. Now I've got a phone that reboots every 5 minutes, my file explorer showing my SDCard as empty, reported size as 10gb, files that I can't delete, and once got a SDCard Damaged error. I formatted it, and it was stable...for about 6 hours. Finally just removed it from the phone and haven't had anymore problems.

I've got the same problem as the guy above though, where I bought it from Amazon, who's return policy expired at the end of March, and Sandisk isnt going to warranty the POS. Gonna have to break the news to the wife and shell out another $30 for a new one...this time from a manufacturer so I can have a warranty. Thanks Amazon.

evilkokonut

Jun 15, 2010
I had a Sandisk ultra 32gb that worked great for a month then eventually kept unmounting itself and then data corrupted. I bought a 32gb Samsung class 10 card and haven't had any problems since.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

loggainsd

Nov 27, 2009
My 64 sandisk is fine. Had it nearly as long as I've had the phone. Since before Christmas. No issues once I learned it had to be fat32 for aosp roms

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
Sandisk cards are utter/total garbage. Just the amount/quantity of problems reported in this thread alone should convince anybody who was on the fence before about a purchase of this crap.

Unfortunately, I have three of them that I bought when the 64gig cards first came out & the Sandisk brand where all that was available at the time (my employer paid for them or I would REALLY be pissed).

I have now had four Sandisk cards replaced under warranty (same problems as all the other posters where reporting). I still use them, & keep them backed up religiously but I would definitely not buy another one at this point.

Of course in any thread like this, there will always be the occasional poster that claims "I have had my card for years & never had any problem whatever with it, you posters having problems are all idiots". Clearly not every single card is defective but Sandisk has FAR FAR too many defective ones per hundred/whatever compared to any other brand.

Since I am the head of the IT dept where I work, all our defective stuff runs through me & I cringe anytime a user comes to me saying I have 9 gigs of music files on my 64 gig card and the card is saying it is "unreadable" for some reason. If we are on the phone, the first question I ask is "is the card red & gray??" (already knowing that it will be).

I have wasted more time running disc recovery apps for users trying to recover all their bootleg music files when I know right up front it will probably be a complete waste of time.............

drockrdr

Dec 9, 2012
Sandisk cards are utter/total garbage. Just the amount/quantity of problems reported in this thread alone should convince anybody who was on the fence before about a purchase of this crap.

Unfortunately, I have three of them that I bought when the 64gig cards first came out & the Sandisk brand where all that was available at the time (my employer paid for them or I would REALLY be pissed).

I have now had four Sandisk cards replaced under warranty (same problems as all the other posters where reporting). I still use them, & keep them backed up religiously but I would definitely not buy another one at this point.

Of course in any thread like this, there will always be the occasional poster that claims "I have had my card for years & never had any problem whatever with it, you posters having problems are all idiots". Clearly not every single card is defective but Sandisk has FAR FAR too many defective ones per hundred/whatever compared to any other brand.

Since I am the head of the IT dept where I work, all our defective stuff runs through me & I cringe anytime a user comes to me saying I have 9 gigs of music files on my 64 gig card and the card is saying it is "unreadable" for some reason. If we are on the phone, the first question I ask is "is the card red & gray??" (already knowing that it will be).

I have wasted more time running disc recovery apps for users trying to recover all their bootleg music files when I know right up front it will probably be a complete waste of time.............

I have the 64gb Sandisk card in my n2. So far I have gotten lucky and my card has lasted about 6 months, hopefully my card was "built on a Wednesday" and will continue to work. I was wondering what brand do you recommend? I would like to buy a backup card just in case mine finally gives up the ghost. For now I use an OTG connector and a usb drive to do regular backups of anything I feel valuable.

drum747

Mar 4, 2011
Dogtown, Or
Fat32, no issues in my N2 or my wife's. We've been running them since the 1st day that we got our N2's on release day. Keeping my fingers crossed.:)
Also had a Lexar 32gb class 10 in my last phone. It crashed and burned and I lost everything.

Last edited:

Doogiedog

Jan 13, 2013
Indiana
I bought a SanDisk 64GB ultra on sale at BB for $59, got it a month ago when I purchased the phone. So far no problems, I have only flashed TW roms.

kingamra

Jul 9, 2008
St Pete, Fl
just picked up a SanDisk 64GB

running skyrom 4.3 with CWM 6.0.4.3 recovery

formatted SD card on phone thru settings

copied data from old sd card to new one via card reader in laptop

went to flash a zip thru cwm... unable to mount the sd card

ideas?

tia

RomsWell

Jul 10, 2011
Venice
I run a 32 but im pretty sure 64 has to be formated extfat and your kernel has to support it. Or something along those lines.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne

ideas?

tia

I have had a 64gb sandisk for overy a year with no issues. Its formatted fat32..

vwftw

Sep 17, 2010
I run a 32 but im pretty sure 64 has to be formated extfat and your kernel has to support it. Or something along those lines.

It can be formatted Fat32 or exfat, both are fine. If the kernel in recovery doesn't support exfat, it will not show up there. Devil recovery has support for exfat.

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012

ideas?

tia

card isnt fully compatible with samsung note 2 is my experience.

i get the same problem as you stated
i bouht a more expensive samsung and all my problems disapeared, including being able to mount in TWRP/recovery.
even when my sandisk mounted right, when i tried to backup or recover, it would fail eventually during write or read and disapear from the mounts. no such problem happens with my samsung

32gb sandisks is not exfat class and as a result is built differently, to SDHC Standards, and i have no such issues with my 32GB Sandisk. (i have purchased both a 32 and 64gb sandisk, plus a 64gb samsung when said 64gb sandisk failed to perform correctly.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007

I have a SanDisk 64 class 10. I formatted FAT32 for AOSP compatibility. Never had a single problem while booted into a ROM or Recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

worjosh19

Jan 10, 2013
New Bedford MA
The problems I have had with Sandisk are not corruption, the cards completely cease to function & will not even reformat.

Sure, they replace the junk under warranty but it's still a PITA.

You guys buy whatever you want, I don't really care but it makes little sense to me to buy Sandisk when there are other brands available that are far more trouble free.

I have had a ton of memory cards over the years & the one brand I will never buy again is Sandisk (the only reason I bought them originally was no other brand made a 64 gig at the time)

I bought a sandisk 64gb and have not been able to get it to work yet. tried every online fix I could find

mad96

Dec 5, 2010
I got the class 10 64gb sandisk the same time the note2 came out and it worked perfect out the box. I have never formatted it to fat32 as I don't really run aosp roms , but when I first put it in the phone I did format it then before trying to load anything to it and its been great.

NUKED N2

schimm

Nov 27, 2012
My next card will not be a SanDisk. 32gb failed in a couple of weeks and customer support was awful.

Sent from Jesse's new lab.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not 100% sure because I haven't tested out yet but I'd heard exFat formatted SD cards WOULD NOT be supported on AOKP, CM10, or non-touchwiz based roms.....
    If you use touchwiz based roms such as Jelly 'Beans' build 9 or clean roms, you'll be fine.
    2 things that people report about these cards are

#1.apparently the first batch that were sold in 2012 were defective but sandisk is accepting responsibility and insuring a full warranty exchange for a new one from the new pile

heres an email straight from Sandisk

Sandisk has been experiencing a higher than normal return rate on their 64gb cards and has recalled a part of their inventory. They will be replacing the defective units with working ones. Expect a delay of about a week.

everyone should be safe to buy these now

#2 there seems to be a problem with a double partition on these cards ? some note 2s have issues with it some dont (go figure) but there is a way to remove the 2nd partition which requires a small amount of work and patience and if you made it to this site then you obviously can do both. its somewhere in the forum just do a quick search.
    Sandisk class 10 64gb. Running beans 10 vrall kernel. No formatting or problems with other roms so far.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app