Screen blank on power on

Search This thread

PaulMdx

Mar 11, 2007
I've had a problem with my E900 since I got it with regards to the screen. I was hoping Mango might fix it but it doesn't seem to have.

Sometimes if I press the power button the screen backlight comes on (i.e. screen goes from off state to powered) but there is nothing on the screen. No amount of button pressing will cause the screen to show anything.

If this happens I have to turn the device off again (backlight then goes off) and try again. Sometimes it can take 2-3 times before it turns on successfully with the lock screen.

I also have this if an incoming call attempts to wake the phone and also alarms too.

Does anyone else have this issue?

mcm69

Oct 3, 2011
I confirm this one popping sometimes. Not that often that it becomes annoying, but nevertheless.

prelud

Feb 23, 2009
Did you find a solution to this problem? I am experiencing it too and it is very annoying!

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
I've recently inherited one as well (E900 that is).

The one I have has been dropped, the backlight powers, but no drawing on the screen.

I've disassembled and re plugged everything (bugger stripping down!) but still no luck. I've done a VolUp+Down+Cam+power hard reset, and when I plug into PC Zune says setup needs completing (so it has reformatted) but still no luck.

I cant see anything fried, and no damaged ribbons as far as I can see, any ideas?

PaulMdx

Mar 11, 2007
I sold the phone a while ago, and never solved the problem. I think it's a firmware issue.

JosipoGo

Nov 22, 2011
Sarajevo
I've had a problem with my E900 since I got it with regards to the screen. I was hoping Mango might fix it but it doesn't seem to have.

Sometimes if I press the power button the screen backlight comes on (i.e. screen goes from off state to powered) but there is nothing on the screen. No amount of button pressing will cause the screen to show anything.

If this happens I have to turn the device off again (backlight then goes off) and try again. Sometimes it can take 2-3 times before it turns on successfully with the lock screen.

I also have this if an incoming call attempts to wake the phone and also alarms too.

Does anyone else have this issue?

hi.
What do you mean "somethimes if I press power button"?
Is it pressed with purpose to lock the phone, press it to turn off phone (background slider shows to power off - on Mango and beyond version) or press it accidentally?
Cheers.

prelud

Feb 23, 2009
So, I did a phone reset. Unfortunately the issue is still present!

Sometimes when I press the power button to unlock the phone the screen is lit, but stays blank i.e. no lockscreen wallpaper, no nothing. The same happens sometimes when I get a phone call - the phone rings and vibrates, the screen is lit but stays blank.
When this happens I have to press the power button to put the phone into sleep mode and press it again to wake it up.
What I found is, when the issue occurs the screen is actually responsive. For example I can slid up and unlock the phone then I hear the unlock "pop" sound. It's just that nothing is drawn on it!
I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same behavior and found a resolution. Also I am not sure if this is a software or a hardware problem. If I could confirm it was a hardware problem I would call LG and have the phone repaired or replaced.

billybrown

Feb 26, 2012
i have exactly the same issue as you, it gets really annoying.
i heard from someone online that the only way to resolve it is to replace the motherboard

prelud

Feb 23, 2009
I sent my phone for repair. Today I got it back, and guess what?!
The issue is still present! It seems, they "couldn't reproduce" or something.
What should I do now?

EDIT: If anyone is interested, here is a video I just captured which clearly demonstrates the problem. http://youtu.be/38kF9RYs_bU

I'm sending the phone back for repair tomorrow with this video attached.

Last edited:

Etaduck

Sep 11, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey, might not be an issue at all, but in the video, I saw that the two times you were able to get it to go blank you had your finger on or near the proximity sensor. I wonder if there is something that could be the trigger.

Just wondering if you can duplicated it or cause it only when you have the proximity sensor blocked, or if it truely is random.

prelud

Feb 23, 2009
You are right, it might has something to do with the proximity/light sensor.
On the other hand, this issue occurs even on incoming calls when the phone is placed on a table, screen up and nothing around the sensor.
Today, I visited my local carrier shop and left the phone for repair again. They told me, since this is a second claim they'll run it through the process faster, so I expect to get it back next week.
Will post an update.

UPDATE: My phone was replaced. Yesterday I got a brand new unit, yeah! It was stock wp 7.0. I plugged in my sim and used the phone the whole day, no sign of blank screen issues. Last nigh I installed all the updates (total 5 I think) up to OS 7.10.8107.79, FW 1.0.16.10. Guess what?! Same issue!
I am crushed

Last edited: