[Q] Major issues with my Desire S

Search This thread

francocm

Oct 20, 2011
Hi all,

first of all I would like to point out that although I Googled well this topic, I'm finding mixed replies which confused me rather than helped me - and seeing that this device has screwed itself up pretty badly, I do not wish to experiment haphazardly.

So, for the problem:

Around 2 weeks ago, I had S-OFFed and rooted my Desire S by using Revolution. This worked well. I kept my original unbranded firmware, and had no intention of changing nor flashing any different firmware - all I wanted was root access for some apps. No, I haven't taken any backups.

No problems so far, however since my phone was over loaded with apps, I found it easier yesterday to simply do a factory reset (from the menu) and start from scratch than uninstalling each and every app one by one. Nothing illegal :) a simple factory reset which anyone can do.

I thought it went well, however I started having frequent crashes and infinite reboots. The only way out of the infinite reboot was to remove the battery and restart the phone.

Today however, after the Nth time that this happened, my phone stayed loading on the white HTC screen forever. Eventually, seeing tthat his was getting hopeless I opened the bootloader and I got the following error messages:

Code:
Revolutionary CWM v4.0.1.4
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I tried wiping and formatting the /cache partition from recovery mode. Wiping succeeded however errors remained. Formatting failed.

As it is the phone is just stuck at loading. What do you suggest is the best solution?

Code:
-Revolutionary-
SAGA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-6.98.1002
RADIO-3005.06.02.03_M
eMMC-boot
Mar 10 2011, 14:58:38

Is it possible to go back to stock BL and go back to S-ON?

Oh, and the battery is currently around ~18% and I cannot find a way of recharging it (and I don't know anyone else with a Desire S nor do I have a wall charger).

What do you think the best option is? I'm currently extremely annoyed at this phone as my only offence was of performing a factory reset from the main menu! I bought it new from eBay last May!

Thank you all and sorry for writing so long! :)

Last edited:

Chris016

Mar 11, 2010
Hi

I dont know about this issue...
I dont have a Desire S... (but i have a Desire)

But i might be able to help you out

Fastboot has functions to flash or erase any partition on the phone...
See this page: hxxp://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot

My opinion is to try erasing the cache partition from fastboot...

Also see these links... might be something to do with a fried eMMC chip
hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1284196

hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1150917

Tell us on what you did and how it went...

francocm

Oct 20, 2011
interesting bootloader version. nver seen before

try to flash 4Ext Recovery and format the partitions with it...

Sorry, HBOOT-6.98.1002 (updated post)

I must've made a typo hehe :)

Thanks all for the replies. As soon as I get home I'll take a look into everything you mentioned. I also want to check whether the warranty is still valid (rooted) since I found online that the Desire can be rooted and warranty remains valid - maybe this is the same. If that's the case, I'll just take it to an authorised HTC dealer and leave it up to them.

Thank you all! :)

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
Code:

I have already received the above errors numerous times when flashing my phone. Also noticed if received these errors, my CACHE is not recognized by recovery..

I don't know if we have the same problem..

My method of fixing this:

1. remove the battery for 30secs to 1 minute and putting it back in

2. boot directly to your bootloader, then go to recovery

3. If you haven't received the errors, your cache will be formatted to EXT3, try formatting it to ext4 if need be

4. I wipe everything (all partitions) including dalvik cache and battery stat

5. flash your rom again, cross your fingers and hope for the best..

check my sig for more info..

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Code:

I have already received the above errors numerous times when flashing my phone. Also noticed if received these errors, my CACHE is not recognized by recovery..

I don't know if we have the same problem..

My method of fixing this:

1. remove the battery for 30secs to 1 minute and putting it back in

2. boot directly to your bootloader, then go to recovery

3. If you haven't received the errors, your cache will be formatted to EXT3, try formatting it to ext4 if need be

4. I wipe everything (all partitions) including dalvik cache and battery stat

5. flash your rom again, cross your fingers and hope for the best..

check my sig for more info..

You are lucky (or smart enough) to have 4EXT Recovery. With ClockworkMod is not that easy :) But the solution is the same with one additional step (it is described in the guide in my signature)

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
You should be able to change your recovery without any problem if your s-off or unlocked 2.xx.xx hboot s-on.

1. Get 4ext recovery.img

2. connect phone on fastboot

3. In cmd use these command to push the recovery image:

Fastboot flash recovery D::\recovery.img (<- should be directory of 4ext recovery image)

Fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you should have 4ext recovery.

P.s.
Cmd code may need to be corrected, as using my phone right now. Hope memories serves me right.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
You should be able to change your recovery without any problem if your s-off or unlocked 2.xx.xx hboot s-on.
I do not think that you can use fastboot flash whatewer without an engineering bootloader (requires s-off) or push images with adb without su (requires rooting). This is the point of all the guides and tutorials around here...

Last edited:

budingyun

Feb 5, 2011
i'm also got this error many time.

but full data/cache wipe solve the problem.

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
I do not think that you can use fastboot flash whatewer without an engineering bootloader (requires s-off) or push images with adb without su (requires rooting). This is the point of all the guides and tutorials around here...

You actually can.. Check my sig.. I have already flashed a stock recovery then back to 4EXT many times.. I am on OFFICIAL HBOOT from the 2.10.401.4 update..

flashing OFFICIAL RUUs prior to latest hboot didn't work for me as the HBOOT seems to be un-writable to old HBOOTs. I haven't tried revolutionary's 6.xx.xx HBOOT though..

I am on unrooted STOCK RUU when I tried to flash the update forcefully. HBOOT and RECOVERY got updated so got me stock on HTC logo (without the "quietly brilliant") means ROM is not booting.

That is the method I used to revive my phone.

Edit:
"Unlocking" my S-ON could've helped me..

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
You actually can.. Check my sig.. I have already flashed a stock recovery then back to 4EXT many times.. I am on OFFICIAL HBOOT from the 2.10.401.4 update..

flashing OFFICIAL RUUs prior to latest hboot didn't work for me as the HBOOT seems to be un-writable to old HBOOTs. I haven't tried revolutionary's 6.xx.xx HBOOT though..

I am on unrooted STOCK RUU when I tried to flash the update forcefully. HBOOT and RECOVERY got updated so got me stock on HTC logo (without the "quietly brilliant") means ROM is not booting.

That is the method I used to revive my phone.

Edit:
"Unlocking" my S-ON could've helped me..

Ok taking my words back :) And how do you did this? You flashed the Stock 2.10.401.4 ROM over you bricked phone and it worked? (overwritted the revolutionary hboot or which version was it before?).

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
To make the long story short:

I stupidly get the firmware.zip file inside the ota file. That file had the latest hboot, recovery, and others. I renamed it to the correct pgxxximg.zip (cant remember the correct filename, currently drinking :) ) to flash it from bootloader.

Everything went well. Everything inside the file updated the corresponding file/partition/image to my phone. Hence letting me be stock to the "locked" hboot 2.xx.xx s-on. ROM wouldnt boot as I said.

Being on the "locked" state wouldn't allow me to flash anything on the phone as far as i can remember. While writing, it will say has its unsuccessful.

But "unlocking" the hboot let me flash the recovery.

Reactions: amidabuddha

francocm

Oct 20, 2011
I just realised I never left an answer as to how I resolved this problem (around a year ago!).

The flash chip itself was fried and it apparently was a problem with a good number of Desire S phones.

Took the device for warranty and it got replaced with a brand new mainboard.

Happy ending :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To make the long story short:

I stupidly get the firmware.zip file inside the ota file. That file had the latest hboot, recovery, and others. I renamed it to the correct pgxxximg.zip (cant remember the correct filename, currently drinking :) ) to flash it from bootloader.

Everything went well. Everything inside the file updated the corresponding file/partition/image to my phone. Hence letting me be stock to the "locked" hboot 2.xx.xx s-on. ROM wouldnt boot as I said.

Being on the "locked" state wouldn't allow me to flash anything on the phone as far as i can remember. While writing, it will say has its unsuccessful.

But "unlocking" the hboot let me flash the recovery.