When do you think ICS is going to be released; should I install an ICS-based ROM?

Search This thread

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011
Yeah, im asking different people who tried the ROM, hows the battery for them.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

aw geez, not ANOTHER "how's the battery" thread....

NO ONES BATTERY WILL BE THE SAME AS YOURS...THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IS TO TRY IT YOURSELF!!

sorry about the caps, but this question just makes me crazy...

^ THIS. PERIOD. Nobody can really tell you what your battery life is going to be like, so you just have to try it or yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011
And then the time to set up the rom, try different roms, discover compatibility issues, find out which apps cause battery drain..etc...

It can be much more time consuming than what you're describing.

Eh, once I have backups for my apps its no longer than an hour to switch to a new ROM and be completely setup again, and testing out each ROM should take a few days of just using your phone as you would, so I don't count that into the setup time. I was telling him that it doesn't take much free time in the grand scheme of things.

jasg001

Apr 21, 2012
+1 for SauROM

Its rock solid, fast, and stable as hell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

KodeRiter722

Mar 6, 2011
Boston, MA
If you like your phone to be at its awesome-ist, then go for it. I understand not switching over immediately after a leak, but there are pretty stable ICS roms out there now. Right now i'm using Seraphim and loving it. Check it out here.

littlewierdo

Dec 10, 2010
Truth be told, personally, all you need is root right now. Once you get root, rename the bloatware apps from *.apk to *.bpk and do a factory reset.

Getting root is extremely easy, there are several threads in the development section.

Important!!! As far as what apps to rename, only rename what is safe to rename. If you dont know what it is, leave it alone!! I havent seen a list anywhere of the bloatware but its pretty easy to figure it out. Renaming the apps is effectively the same as uninstalling them (after you do a factory reset) but still allows you to put them back should you want to update to the official ICS - just rename the *.bpks BACK to *.apk and remove the root (instructions are on the development boards).

The factory reset is easily done by going to settings->Privacy-Factory Data Reset. This will clear out any apps that are still loading from the pre-cached data created by Android (any apps you renamed may still continue to load due to the pre-cached data - the factory reset removes this pre-cached data and the files renamed to *.bpk will not be rebuilt). A factory reset will still retain your root access.

There are other things you can do as well such as installing CWM (which you should do before you do anything other than rooting or renaming apks), installing custom kernels, installing custom scripts, and installing new roms. But truth be told, most people would probably be happy with the bloatware removed and if that isnt enough, CWM with a different kernel and possibly some script installs. Flashing a new rom right now doesnt really bring much to the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: uckfay

crazzysandman

Aug 3, 2010
Bakersfield
Well has anyone heard when the official ics will release? I'm thinking about rooting my note but I've just really haven't needed to just yet... So I guess I'm waiting lol had my evo flashed thousands of times but eh I got bored so if anyone has any news let us know yeah?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

littlewierdo

Dec 10, 2010
Well has anyone heard when the official ics will release? I'm thinking about rooting my note but I've just really haven't needed to just yet... So I guess I'm waiting lol had my evo flashed thousands of times but eh I got bored so if anyone has any news let us know yeah?

Samsung has claimed 2nd quarter of this year. Taken literally, that is by June 30th, assuming Samsung doesnt have a different definition of 2nd quarter.

However, I still believe we wont see anything until Fall of this year, perhaps late September or even as late as into November for the AT&T i717 NOTE.

I havent done anything yet with my phone (with regards to rom'ing), I am really more interested in Android Open Source Project releases (AOSP) rather than roms based on the stock rom. While the stock rom can be improved upon, Id much prefer to do it 'right' from the ground up rather than starting with something crappy and trying to patch it up.

My ONLY interest for rooting is to rename the bloatware, namely because I suspect an improvement in battery life might be significant.

The other reasons, things like overclocking and scripts dont really interest me at the moment.

Ray_Banci

Jan 25, 2012
Does anybody know the steps needed to be taken inorder to flash back to gB from ice with a gB nandroid backup

Eric-1987

Jul 6, 2009
And then the time to set up the rom, try different roms, discover compatibility issues, find out which apps cause battery drain..etc...

Not really. No compatibility issues or anything. Which apps cause battery drain? You sound like a tool. Stop making it harder than it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

jayzz69

Apr 24, 2012
Is there a way I can root my note to ics then flash back to stock without increasing my flash counter?

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
i too have been holding off, but want ICS badly

theres several ICS roms out since the leak weeks ago, but they all have some bugs or another (especially the one rom where they couldnt receive incoming calls from people who are in there address book,and solution was to remove everybody out your contacts? seriously?)

looks like we have to wait for official ICS release to have a problem free rom
im on a GB customer rom,and i dont have any of the million FC's people claim to get on their custom ICS roms.But ever since the leak nobody has put out an update for the GB roms,even though GB roms are indeed the most stable now

chak29

Apr 24, 2012
saurom rc7.. its the best custom rom right now for i717..
almost never crash.. super fast.. and has many extra features that you can't get from stock rom or unrooted phone..
saurom is not ice cream rom, but its the best running rom for att samsung note right now.. Yes alot better then the att stock rom and the battery life its great!!!

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
saurom rc7.. its the best custom rom right now for i717..
almost never crash.. super fast.. and has many extra features that you can't get from stock rom or unrooted phone..
saurom is not ice cream rom, but its the best running rom for att samsung note right now.. Yes alot better then the att stock rom and the battery life its great!!!

wasnt that one geared for the Rogers/Bell/canada note?

crazzysandman

Aug 3, 2010
Bakersfield
Samsung has claimed 2nd quarter of this year. Taken literally, that is by June 30th, assuming Samsung doesnt have a different definition of 2nd quarter.

However, I still believe we wont see anything until Fall of this year, perhaps late September or even as late as into November for the AT&T i717 NOTE.

I havent done anything yet with my phone (with regards to rom'ing), I am really more interested in Android Open Source Project releases (AOSP) rather than roms based on the stock rom. While the stock rom can be improved upon, Id much prefer to do it 'right' from the ground up rather than starting with something crappy and trying to patch it up.

My ONLY interest for rooting is to rename the bloatware, namely because I suspect an improvement in battery life might be significant.

The other reasons, things like overclocking and scripts dont really interest me at the moment.

Yeah i was considering rooting but im being lazy lol ill just wait and see when this so called ics release will happen and if im not happy ill just root and go from there

porkenhimer

Apr 9, 2009
i too have been holding off, but want ICS badly

theres several ICS roms out since the leak weeks ago, but they all have some bugs or another (especially the one rom where they couldnt receive incoming calls from people who are in there address book,and solution was to remove everybody out your contacts? seriously?)

looks like we have to wait for official ICS release to have a problem free rom
im on a GB customer rom,and i dont have any of the million FC's people claim to get on their custom ICS roms.But ever since the leak nobody has put out an update for the GB roms,even though GB roms are indeed the most stable now
I am gonna wait for the official ICS release too. Yes its too bad that the just stopped updating custom Gingerbread roms. I am still using SolarisPrime A New Beginning and it is a great rom. No reboots or FCs at all. I asked them about updating it on that thread but was never responded to then they closed the thread a few days later. I came from Windows Mobile and on a lot of there roms they were making several varients of the same rom so I am not sure why someone couldn't make a rom that has a Gingerbread and ICS varient.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never try any custom Rom yet but usually there is always bugs on custom roms. I just suggest u wait for the official ics.

Then Why do you even have an xda account??
    That's nuts. Don't take advice from people who don't know what they are speaking about.

There are some great custom roms. Much better then any Sammy crapwiz stock rom.

Try them yourself. You will be glad u did. Just read and follow all instructions. Exactly
    aw geez, not ANOTHER "how's the battery" thread....

NO ONES BATTERY WILL BE THE SAME AS YOURS...THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IS TO TRY IT YOURSELF!!

sorry about the caps, but this question just makes me crazy...
    it takes about a half hour to read what you need to know, and another half hour to root, flash cwm, and flash a ROM...are you seriously that busy?

Truth be told, personally, all you need is root right now. Once you get root, rename the bloatware apps from *.apk to *.bpk and do a factory reset.

Getting root is extremely easy, there are several threads in the development section.

Important!!! As far as what apps to rename, only rename what is safe to rename. If you dont know what it is, leave it alone!! I havent seen a list anywhere of the bloatware but its pretty easy to figure it out. Renaming the apps is effectively the same as uninstalling them (after you do a factory reset) but still allows you to put them back should you want to update to the official ICS - just rename the *.bpks BACK to *.apk and remove the root (instructions are on the development boards).

The factory reset is easily done by going to settings->Privacy-Factory Data Reset. This will clear out any apps that are still loading from the pre-cached data created by Android (any apps you renamed may still continue to load due to the pre-cached data - the factory reset removes this pre-cached data and the files renamed to *.bpk will not be rebuilt). A factory reset will still retain your root access.

There are other things you can do as well such as installing CWM (which you should do before you do anything other than rooting or renaming apks), installing custom kernels, installing custom scripts, and installing new roms. But truth be told, most people would probably be happy with the bloatware removed and if that isnt enough, CWM with a different kernel and possibly some script installs. Flashing a new rom right now doesnt really bring much to the table.