The thing that may kill the DNA for me...

Search This thread

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
I don't believe he returned it yet.
Yeah I use to run your kernels on the Dinc adrynalyne

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

Actually I did.

I went with the note II.

My gnex couldn't cut it with battery. I still feel that the DNA is the better device, but the app compatibility is something I want.

I was able to play Backstab last night for the first time in a year.

I dont do kernels as much anymore. I recognize that there are those who put me to shame with them such as faux and imo.

fernando sor

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 7, 2010
north of the wall
Actually I did.

I went with the note II.

My gnex couldn't cut it with battery. I still feel that the DNA is the better device, but the app compatibility is something I want.

I was able to play Backstab last night for the first time in a year.

I dont do kernels as much anymore. I recognize that there are those who put me to shame with them such as faux and imo.

Sorry to hear your leaving

Reactions: adrynalyne

bwhite757

Dec 20, 2009
Luckily I have rarely noticed the menu button on the bottom, but personally I think removing the menu key from the mainstay of buttons was a mistake on Google's part. Back, Home, Recent, and Menu should have been a constant. That is one thing (of many) that I liked with Android over iOS. In Apple apps there was no constant to where the hidden menu functions would be. You have to look and find the button. With Android (up until ICS anyway) there was always a constant capacitive button that you knew exactly where it was. On my GNex that was the first mod I threw on it, a constant menu button beside the 3 main buttons. If Google were to say the menu should be in a defined location for every app I would be OK with it, but they can't even do that with their own (Gmail, for instance moves it around while you're in the app). But all that being said, the only time I notice it within the DNA is when I'm typing. I have to adjust my fingers up if the menu key pops up on the bottom, and move down if its not present. I don't play games on my phone because I'd rather not waste battery on my phone for games, that's what I have a Nexus 7 for.

.........DNA.........

Reactions: nkgangew

chadster1976

Nov 18, 2008
Anaheim
Sorry to hear you're leaving the DNA as well Adrynalyne... The more devs we have with DNA's in their hands, the better...

As far as the three button menu goes, I haven't really gotten it in the way of too many things. It seems more like a problem with the app developers rather than the phone itself. I agree that as more and more phones come out that are 1080 screens, devs are only going to have to account for the screens in their app updates - or risk loosing customers.

I'm keeping the phone more for the hardware itself. I can wade through the small amount of "problems"/annoyances that are occurring until CM10 or some other ROM is released for it. I've never really been too thrilled with Sense anyway, so I'll probably just slap an AOSP ROM on it as soon as something stable comes out.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
I don't play games all of the time, but I have bought a considerable amount in the time I have had Android devices. Not being able to run many of them really bothered me.

zerocool79346

Jul 14, 2010
Lubbock
I don't play games all of the time, but I have bought a considerable amount in the time I have had Android devices. Not being able to run many of them really bothered me.

Damn you adrynalyne for talking me out of spending $600 I don't have! Lol that stupid menu decision absolutely drove me nuts when I played with the phone and until HTC really pushes the marketing of the phone and the SGS4 is released, I'd agree about development for 1080p phones being on the back burner. Let me know what you think about the N2, its really been tempting me as of late and like you said, the battery life of the Gnex is its Achilles heel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

typeriz

Dec 10, 2007
Damn you adrynalyne for talking me out of spending $600 I don't have! Lol that stupid menu decision absolutely drove me nuts when I played with the phone and until HTC really pushes the marketing of the phone and the SGS4 is released, I'd agree about development for 1080p phones being on the back burner. Let me know what you think about the N2, its really been tempting me as of late and like you said, the battery life of the Gnex is its Achilles heel.

You know HTC will never market this phone, its all on Verizon, but it looks like Verizon is on a love fest with the moto razr devices?? Baffles me everytime I see moto devices advertised by Verizon and not HTC's droid line.

zerocool79346

Jul 14, 2010
Lubbock
You know HTC will never market this phone, its all on Verizon, but it looks like Verizon is on a love fest with the moto razr devices?? Baffles me everytime I see moto devices advertised by Verizon and not HTC's droid line.

Yeah I don't know what kind of premium they get on Moto devices for the advertising and sales, but I can remember dang near fighting with reps when I wanted the Eris over the OG Droid (monetary issue) and then the Gnex over the RAZR ( don't do encrypted bootloaders). Moto is definitely in their pockets.

n0code

Dec 16, 2010
I don't want to sound like I'm hating on this phone, but I returned mine and picked up an iphone5. I've never been an iOS user and wanted to see how it was. The real reason for the return, was that my nexus 4 finally arrived. After a week of test driving the DNA, I realized I wasn't ready to be an early adopter. The issues of support for 1080p was just annoying for me and after playing with my n4 side by side with it I found the n4 was perfectly fine as an android replacement. The phone was beautiful, the quality of the build is second to none, I'll give it that. Just issues with Sense not really utilizing 1080p real estate was a bit weird. Lack of OTAs will be a concern for me (I knew that going in). I really just utilized my early upgrade to see what the phone was like before I went for the iphone 5 + n4 combo. Another personal issue for me was size. My hands are too small to really hold/use this one handed on my subway rides daily. It will fall and break, I can see it happening any day now for me. So yah, I've returned mine and stuck with my n4. My initial impressions is that the DNA has so much to offer over the n4, for some reason I found the n4 a bit snappy without any hiccups.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwips

bakemcbride21

Sep 15, 2009
Its probably not what you think.

Battery is superb.
The screen, OMG its nice.
Phone is smooth as butter, despite heavy Sense.
Build quality is great.

This thread clinched it for having been on the fence on whether to leave my rooted Bamf'd up TBolt..your review here is as good as gold (from seeing your contributions over there and here, too, obviously) and since I don't game all that much, this does sound like an awesome phone.

I just had to get used to idea of the lesser storage and non removable battery.

latebeat

May 10, 2012
Yeah--I got around the limited storage with streaming everything under the sun LOL.

These have been discussed around here as well.

There's always a way around things. However, if you had the option of having an sd card slot wouldn't you prefer to have it than not? Wouldn't it make your life so much easier? If verizon saw how upset the dna users were maybe they wouldn't have removed the sd card slot from the phone in their shady effort to push for higher data plan costs! J butterfly does have a sim card slot, giving its users the option to do whatever they want. Verizon seriously went out of their way to make sure that it wouldn't be there.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
There's always around things. However, if you had the option of having an sd card slot wouldn't you prefer to have it than not? Wouldn't it make your life so much easier? If verizon saw how upset the dna users were maybe they wouldn't have removed the sd card slot from the phone in their shady effort to push for higher data plan costs! J butterfly does have a sim card slot, giving its users the option to do whatever they want. Verizon seriously went out of their way to make sure that it wouldn't be there.

I am not defending Verizon's motives by any means. I would like local music, because I can choose what plays them. I have been seriously missing PowerAmp.

That said, if you can screw Verizon by burning data like there is no tomorrow....I say do it! :D

bakemcbride21

Sep 15, 2009
I am not defending Verizon's motives by any means. I would like local music, because I can choose what plays them. I have been seriously missing PowerAmp.

That said, if you can screw Verizon by burning data like there is no tomorrow....I say do it! :D

LOL...I really shouldn't have an issue as I'm on the NJ state contract and we're locked into unlimited data no matter what...I just hate the cloud in general...but if I do put my music up there 16GB is plenty locally for everything else.

fernando sor

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 7, 2010
north of the wall
It's funny I had the rezound on Verizon and the evo 4g lte with sprint which I love except for their horrible network. I got the DNA because I had a large amount gift card with best buy and I was really starting to worry they may go out of business.
Verizon has a great network but it's really not the best if you want to mod. They are really making it difficult. And it's all so they can shove more of their garbage bloat down our throats.

cdmoore74

Aug 5, 2008
round lake
I did one final DNA hands on before getting my Note 2 and the menu button killed the deal. I knew you guys had root but I didn't like the fact that once you root there's proof that the system has been modified.

Dri94

Oct 9, 2011
Florida
Adrenalyn you made me sad with this thread. Sad to see you go man but I completely understand why

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that a 1080P phone has hit the market you can expect the spec wars to continue. The rumored SGS4 is supposed to have a 1080P display as well as an unannounced LG phone. People with the N10 are having the same issue. So it'll get resolved in time it's a matter of whether you're willing to wait.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Smartphones-1080p-Screen-Retina-Display-HD,18639.html

The only issue is that those 1080p phones won't hit the mainstream market until April-May timeframe. This even further emphasizes the fact that DNA is the phone from the future... As an early adopter, I'm loving it!
    Its probably not what you think.

Battery is superb.
    The screen, OMG its nice.
    Phone is smooth as butter, despite heavy Sense.
    Build quality is great.

However, so many games that I truly enjoy and have purchased do not work. The legacy menu button on so many apps eats screen real estate, and it is ridiculous.

I am aware that these aren't really the phone's fault entirely, but if the phone isn't a big seller, developers are going to drag their feet. That means we see fixes in months and in smartphone years, that's ancient.

So while I believe software will catch up, it will be later when 1080p becomes more mainstream. By that time, I am looking for another phone. So why do I want to suffer with incompatibilities?

Please don't tell me to sideload my stuff; I am getting incompatibility messages on launch as well.

As for the legacy menu, this is a two-fold problem.

1. Developers are lazy and not updating to Android standards like they should.
    2. There is an abundance of false legacy menus.

The first issue needs to be fixed by app devs, period. The second one baffles me. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Not one of my apps has a legacy menu in it because if they did I wouldn't use it. Yet, my phone doesn't have a menu key either.

However, I am getting legacy menus, even in some games. What is worse, these menus don't work, or they replicate a clickable menu in the game. Why??? My Galaxy Nexus didn't have that issue. I can't even enjoy the screen to its full potential with legacy menus. I am aware I can mod this myself, but that isn't the point.

I know they are small nitpicks, but I think the screen in all its awesomeness might kill it for me as well with incompatibilities. I am not naive enough to believe that these will be cleared up any time soon.
    Sorry to hear you returned the phone, it was great having you in this forum. Enjoy your alternative phone choice!

I am also disappointed with game incompatibility, but keeping the DNA as I don't play that much. My son was upset about angry birds star wars turning up as a black screen though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    how do you like the note 2 so far ADR??

Its nice. It is no DNA, but it is nice.

Pros
    Most of my apps work again, even ones that didn't on Gnex.
    Battery life
    Utility
    sd slot

Cons
    Too big
    Lower resolution screen
    Too big
    Audio isn't as good
    Mali-400 GPU vs. Adreno 320
    Too big
    Not as good reception (still better than Gnex)

You can't really go wrong with a DNA or Note II, but I definitely like the DNA better as a smartphone. I see the Note II as a tablet that makes calls. The S-Pen ended up how I expected, with it being a gimmicky feature.
    The second one baffles me. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Not one of my apps has a legacy menu in it because if they did I wouldn't use it. Yet, my phone doesn't have a menu key either.

The fact that this exists is kind of odd. When the One X(s) launched they had the same set up and it was even more annoying having less screen real estate to work with. HTC fixed it in the 4.0.3>4.0.4 update a couple of months ago. Basically, the recent apps capacitive button became a toggle. You were given three options:

1) As-is; launch recent apps
    2) Long-press=recent apps, short-press=settings
    3) Long-press=settings; short-press=recent apps

Check out the Teg3 One X dev forum. You should be able to find a solution you can port there.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Here's what the menu looks like...