[Q] How to restore EFS partition N9005

Search This thread

AMalcolm

Dec 18, 2013
Hi Mates,
I need some help to restore my EFS partition, I think:confused:.
After a restore from X-Note backup, with TWRP, anytime I start the phone I get "FACTORY MODE IS ON" and need to copy the EFS files from a backup I'd made at the begining (tar.gz) to the EFS on the root and it works properly.
TWRP 2.6.3.7 isn't able to mount the EFS partition and stock recovery saids "Error mounting EFS: invalid argument".

Can any body help me with this issue?:good:

realfocus

Jan 9, 2014
Hi Mates,
After a restore from X-Note backup, with TWRP, anytime I start the phone I get "FACTORY MODE IS ON" and need to copy the EFS files from a backup I'd made at the begining (tar.gz) to the EFS on the root and it works properly.
TWRP 2.6.3.7 isn't able to mount the EFS partition and stock recovery saids "Error mounting EFS: invalid argument".

EFSBACKUP:good:

Reactions: AMalcolm

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Hi Mates,

Which tool you've used to backup your EFS?
It shoud has the restore function.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Hi vndnguyen,
First thing I did. I also tried EFS Professional but whitout succes. It seems like the backup must be done by the tool itself. I even tried to do backups but I got nothing. That's why I think, the main problem isn't the folder but the partition itself.
I'm not a professional, it's possible I did somethig wrong.

Total Wipe of your phone, then rebuild your EFS from scratch using this fire script.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Just to add, EFS backup is not so important anymore as it can rebuild due to it being stored on the hardware.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Also - forgot to add - TWRP has issues with restoring backup

Ratata82

Jul 4, 2006
Esbjerg
My friend also damaged his EFS, same fault /failed to mount.

He really had a fight with his handset, but ended up sending it to our shop. We just restored PB using Asansam box (Asansam solution for /fail to mount EFS)
We searched alot for a solution on XDA, before he sended it to us for service, but didn't find any.

If I where you, I would look for someone nearby with a Asansam who can help you our

Best regards

Last edited:

AMalcolm

Dec 18, 2013
Total Wipe of your phone, then rebuild your EFS from scratch using this fire script.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Just to add, EFS backup is not so important anymore as it can rebuild due to it being stored on the hardware.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Also - forgot to add - TWRP has issues with restoring backup

Thanks Radical.
I followed your suggestion an the methods from Firasusman and Steve Lazarus but on boot the EFS is always empty. Fortunately I can always copy the files and bring my phone back.

Reactions: vndnguyen

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Thanks Radical.
I followed your suggestion an the methods from Firasusman and Steve Lazarus but on boot the EFS is always empty. Fortunately I can always copy the files and bring my phone back.

Which files you copied?

Can you show us the detailed steps?
This may be useful for other people. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AMalcolm

Dec 18, 2013
i made a tool for this that runs on the device? i suggest you use it to backup/restore your EFS partition as its nice and simple!

Hi Ricky,
Nice to see you here. I've already tested your "samsungtool" but nothing. I also tried to restore my own backup but the tool keep saying "please wait" but nothing happends.
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is weird, maan...
    please use Root Explorer and see tha is there any differences with Root! (don't think so, but check)

OK We have efs files in root/efs - IMEI data WiFi Mac etc etc

EDIT: Seems ES Explorer isn't too great at showing us files! doh
    Hey, do you still have mirek's PIT file. He seems to have lost them and the links are broken on his thread, Also, I've got the Baseband UNKNOWN ,imei null/null problem and have no EFS backup . My phone is the 32 GB N9005 (hong kong version). Should I be flashing the PHE stock rom or any other would do (like I have the poland rom now) ? I hope I can reconstruct the EFS .

Hi Aksha. Here you have Mirek's PIT file. Hope it can help you.
    device/system/efs is empty, but there is another efs folder located in another location... at least there was for me when I was on 4.3... I can't seem to see it now on 4.4 though

Download the new version with N9005 support look next to supported devices) SamsungTool
    It's scattered from what I can gather from that thread, -- Have a read through it, I scanned it a couple of times, but some of it is in broken English so I couldn't quite understand it all.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

In all honesty I don't think anyone understands the EFS stuff 100% currently, Especially now with 4..4.2 now it may have changed again.

okay confirmed
    SM-N900 on dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    N9005 on dev/block/mmcblk0p11
    i will fix my tool for the N9005 and upload!

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

It's scattered from what I can gather from that thread, -- Have a read through it, I scanned it a couple of times, but some of it is in broken English so I couldn't quite understand it all.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

In all honesty I don't think anyone understands the EFS stuff 100% currently, Especially now with 4..4.2 now it may have changed again.

yes, my phone is still working properly. But the EFS folder is empty, very strange.

Thank you so much for your info.

holdup mate wil update a version for your phone! gimme 5 minutes!
    Hi Mates,

Which tool you've used to backup your EFS?
    It shoud has the restore function.