[Q] Music playing, but no sound

Search This thread

dannyyang524

Jun 8, 2010
The problem:
My M8 is having difficulty playing music with sound. When I try to play music on the phone, the song will play. However, there will be no sound coming out from the speakers.

What I tried already:
I tried using a different music player. I downloaded Shuttle+ and tried to play, but I keep getting the same issue. Sometimes, when I reboot the phone, the stock music app works properly, but after the currently playing song is done, it would again play but not produce sound. If I go to the Shuttle app and play a song while the song plays with no sound on the stock music app, the Shuttle app works fine. But then after the song is done on Shuttle, I have to switch to the stock music app for sound to come out properly.

I remember how Google limited SD card functionality (my music was on my sd card). So I transferred the songs onto the phone storage, but I still have the issue. Then I figured that the issue might be my mp3 files. I deleted them all to try to isolate the problem. I tried playing song from the Google Play Music app and it appears to be working fine. This morning, the google play music also exhibiting the same problem. So even Spotify is having the problem. The music will load and the slider will move to indicate the song is playing, but again no sound. I tried deleting the data of all the music apps I have and they still do not work properly.

I have xposed modules installed so I disabled all of them and restarted the phone, but the problem persists.

Also, the boomsound speakers are functioning properly. Youtube videos and regular video files play with sound. I only appear to be having problems with music.

Phone modification:

This is probably really important to figuring out what the issue is. My phone is rooted and S-off. I have xposed installed with the following modules: forced immersive mode, greenify, keepchat, nfciconremover, snapshare, unicon, youtube adaway.

Other than that, the phone is stock.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:
Solution

I performed a factory reset and started all over to isolate what modification caused this music bug.
Turns out, it was flashing the Tethering mod located here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708548

If you are currently experiencing this problem, go back to pure stock OR simply flash this rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2731893

Now, if you still want tethering, install this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715671.

I can confirm that installing that will give you tethering and not break music functionality!

Last edited:
Reactions: robsonline

dannyyang524

Jun 8, 2010
Are you using any music apps? If you use it please uninstall this and try to use built in music player or reset your phone. then its ok.

As noted in my post, I tried using both the built in music player and an alternative 3rd party application. And I do not think a factory reset will benefit here because I have checked every setting and already reset the data on the music applications.

The Stig 04

Mar 6, 2013
You're not connecting to a Bluetooth source? And silly question but is the volume turned up? Lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

robsonline

Aug 29, 2007
No bluetooth source. And yes the volume is maxed out! haha

My wife and I are having this same problem. It happens with Amazon and Google's music player, and maybe others; however, I have never tested them. It will play one track, and then the following tracks will keep playing; however, now sound will play through the speakers or head phones. I thought it might have been something I installed, but my wife started complaining about it on her M8 too. We just got them April 26th. I rooted and S-off both of them the same day. I have been working on mine mostly, but have done little to my wife's M8. I have been searching for a solution, but have found nothing. The weird thing is if I leave it alone for a while, it will randomly play tracks and then stop again.I can play Audible books all day long with no problem. I have yet to find a solution.

Rob

Edit: My solution was to install ViperOne ROM which fixed the problem; however, I see the OP has found a solution to the problem.

Last edited:

CtK4949

Aug 6, 2010
I have kinda of the same problem. If I start playing music with Google Play Music and then just stop/close Google Play Music. Then later on if I try to go back to Google Play Music it will play but there is no sound. If I try to use the HTC Music app, it will work again, but if I stop/close HTC Music app. Then later on try to play music with HTC Music app, it will play but there is no sound. Ill have to go back to Google Music for it to work again and so on.

So freaking weird!!

Rikko011

May 15, 2013
Exactly same problem. Revolution HD ROM installed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rikko011

May 15, 2013

just a bird xo

Feb 1, 2014
Joliet
It is because you enabled Harmon Kardon sound enhancement and you are not S-OFF. Check out this post and flash the first uninstall zip from the bottom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2737498
Big thanks! I recently had to get a new M8 under warranty & I made the grave mistake of updating my firmware before I gained s off so now I gotta use sunshine. I haven't got around to paying the $25 to gain s off. Meantime, I flashed my backup of ViperOne which I had on my previous M8 which had H/K enabled. Luckily, I kept the H/K enable/disable folder so I was able to flash BoomSound with no problem. Everything functions properly now!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Exactly same problem. Revolution HD ROM installed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It is because you enabled Harmon Kardon sound enhancement and you are not S-OFF. Check out this post and flash the first uninstall zip from the bottom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2737498
    The problem:
    My M8 is having difficulty playing music with sound. When I try to play music on the phone, the song will play. However, there will be no sound coming out from the speakers.

What I tried already:
    I tried using a different music player. I downloaded Shuttle+ and tried to play, but I keep getting the same issue. Sometimes, when I reboot the phone, the stock music app works properly, but after the currently playing song is done, it would again play but not produce sound. If I go to the Shuttle app and play a song while the song plays with no sound on the stock music app, the Shuttle app works fine. But then after the song is done on Shuttle, I have to switch to the stock music app for sound to come out properly.

I remember how Google limited SD card functionality (my music was on my sd card). So I transferred the songs onto the phone storage, but I still have the issue. Then I figured that the issue might be my mp3 files. I deleted them all to try to isolate the problem. I tried playing song from the Google Play Music app and it appears to be working fine. This morning, the google play music also exhibiting the same problem. So even Spotify is having the problem. The music will load and the slider will move to indicate the song is playing, but again no sound. I tried deleting the data of all the music apps I have and they still do not work properly.

I have xposed modules installed so I disabled all of them and restarted the phone, but the problem persists.

Also, the boomsound speakers are functioning properly. Youtube videos and regular video files play with sound. I only appear to be having problems with music.

Phone modification:

This is probably really important to figuring out what the issue is. My phone is rooted and S-off. I have xposed installed with the following modules: forced immersive mode, greenify, keepchat, nfciconremover, snapshare, unicon, youtube adaway.

Other than that, the phone is stock.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:
    Solution

I performed a factory reset and started all over to isolate what modification caused this music bug.
    Turns out, it was flashing the Tethering mod located here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708548

If you are currently experiencing this problem, go back to pure stock OR simply flash this rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2731893

Now, if you still want tethering, install this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715671.

I can confirm that installing that will give you tethering and not break music functionality!
    Did you check the media output setting

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk