HELP: Ghost Menu

Search This thread

woodz93

Mar 4, 2011
Still going...

One month later, my phone is still going with no issues. YMMV, as oddly enough all these phones act differently, even though they are the same model... some have fixed it by doing odd things such as disabling wifi/force gpu renderization while some change roms, etc., things that really don't make sense if you think of what's causing it to begin with.

I quoted his fix on another thread, but on that thread I tried another thing and that is a different modem, that had a degree of success to it. You can try that. Yet another one is to completely disable the capacitive buttons completely, which, as it states, will eliminate the problem (and your buttons) for good :good: .

jc.m

Can you confirm that this fix is still working?? There is a guy on Youtube that does a similar fix but he removes the motherboard and sandwiches in some aluminum foil where you have the magnet on this side. I like your fix a lot more since it is obviously a lot easier. Please let us know if this fix is still working. Thanks!
In my phone everything works fine with no problems, I think the only way to find out if it work is to try it, if it doesn't work for you will not hurt to try since you don't have any other choice.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CentralVAHere

Sep 18, 2013
In my phone everything works fine with no problems, I think the only way to find out if it work is to try it, if it doesn't work for you will not hurt to try since you don't have any other choice.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah I'm going to try it and post results here. I am waiting on some of those plastic safe pry tools to help me open it up professionally. Once done I will post. Thanks again for at least offering a glimmer of hope.

I still can't figure out why this problem wouldn't be there from day one. I mean why does it take a few months (my case and apparently what has happened to others) for the problem to show up? Makes no sense.

ipaq3115

Oct 7, 2008
This is how I fixed my fantom menu button, maybe not a good idea but I was tired no to be able to use my phone, so far no problems at all, I opened my phone and placed a piece of magnet sticker on top of a connector that goes to the bottom of the phone, the the piece of magnet is from a business card that I had on the front of my refrigerator so I cut a little piece of it and put it on top of the connector with the plastic side to the connector to make sure not to touch anything, here are some pictures of what i did, if you want to do it (it is on you) , I am just giving my results so far 3 weeks with no problems.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

I apologize for bringing this old thread back up to the top but I just had to say a huge thanks jc.m! My dad's and my E4GTs had the phantom keypress problem to the point where they were practically unusable and now they are working flawlessly. I feel like this post should be in a sticky somewhere...

Oh yeah, and you need a donate button there jc.m ;) Major props for figuring this out.

another "fix" to consider

Running in this phantom button pressing issue recently myself and digging around I found another apparently successful hardware fix aiming at correcting/improving the RF shielding, shown here on this youtube video (ouch, cannot post the link, just search on youtube for "Samsung Phantom Menu Pop Up $5 FIX")

It's true that it involves removing the base board in order to apply the foil around that chip, but it seems to make a bit more sense than attaching a piece of magnet strip to the end of that flex connector - and who knows, perhaps a combination of the two methods actually works even better :).

EpicLordPhone

Mar 13, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I had the ghost menu problem too, but all I did was fully wipe everything on my phone, and it seemed to rid the problem, dunno if this could be the problem for all of you, but it worked for me, so maybe whoever is having the problem may want to try it

BIGSAMDA1ST

Nov 29, 2012
Brooklyn,Ny..
Running in this phantom button pressing issue recently myself and digging around I found another apparently successful hardware fix aiming at correcting/improving the RF shielding, shown here on this youtube video (ouch, cannot post the link, just search on youtube for "Samsung Phantom Menu Pop Up $5 FIX")

It's true that it involves removing the base board in order to apply the foil around that chip, but it seems to make a bit more sense than attaching a piece of magnet strip to the end of that flex connector - and who knows, perhaps a combination of the two methods actually works even better :).
Here is a working link. Good find [emoji6]
Samsung Phantom Menu Pop Up $5 "FIX": http://youtu.be/8MR5bUVog5g

metalshreds

Jan 16, 2014
I think that video definitely gets at the root of the problem, I just did it to my phone yesterday and I have not had a single instance of phantom menu being pressed. Before, I would constantly feel the vibrations from the phantom key presses.

I used electrical tape, then a square of anti-static bag, then the tin foil and then another piece of electrical tape.

Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everything works normal, just like new, I did removed the magnet and the menu bottom gets crazy so I did place it back and works like it should. I know it is no something that people should do but I did not care about my phone anymore.

This is how I fixed my fantom menu button, maybe not a good idea but I was tired no to be able to use my phone, so far no problems at all, I opened my phone and placed a piece of magnet sticker on top of a connector that goes to the bottom of the phone, the the piece of magnet is from a business card that I had on the front of my refrigerator so I cut a little piece of it and put it on top of the connector with the plastic side to the connector to make sure not to touch anything, here are some pictures of what i did, if you want to do it (it is on you) , I am just giving my results so far 3 weeks with no problems.

There is a way to disable the menu key and use the search key as menu. It's somewhere in the general forums buried somewhere.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Yes here it is
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39466458

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    I used that fix for a while, but over time, the problem actually gets worse and the search key will start phantom pressing, too. If you're one of the unlucky E4GT owners who have this problem, eventually ALL the capacitive buttons start randomly phantom pressing. Just a heads up from experience.
    I suggest running a custom ROM with a Navbar (softkeys) you can enable, and then disable all the hardware buttons.

No need for a custom ROM. I have a tutorial for any rooted TW JB build using multiple ways to get it done.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201012

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda premium
    Hey guys so I'm having an issue with a phone, it used to happen once in a blue moon, but now it's happening all the time to the point the phone is almost unusable. It acts as if menu keys are being pressed, when I'm not even touching the phone! This video is a great example, someone has to have seen this. What's the fix?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JdsrgVJM9k

Galaxy Epic SGII - SPH-D710 JellyBean 4.1.2 GB27

From what I've read it happens in low signal areas. Here's a thread that may be helpful.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23032612

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2