Change.org Petition for Galaxy S4 Verizon Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

retrogrymlyn

Oct 8, 2011
I believe this has been posted before, but I wanted to bring it back to life.

I received a new phone from Asurion (I'm on Verizon.) today. It came prepacked with MK2.

You can imagine the frustration with this that I had after having AOSP KitKat on my previous GS4, and I'm willing to do just about anything to bring the new one to a firmware in which I can unlock the bootloader.

Anyway, here is the Change.org link: http://www.change.org/petitions/sam...ock-the-bootloader-of-the-verizon-s4-sch-i545

Were only 340 signatures away.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Well I signed it what the hell. I just don't think they care though.
They're too much into the big picture to care about us folks who want to flash ROMs . they made the dev s4 to address this, I think that's where they will stay. They'll just end up losing people like us as customers as we move to the other carriers that don't lock them down.

Hey I'm with you though... Why not try. Doesn't cost anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

retrogrymlyn

Oct 8, 2011
I agree. The big picture is what Samsung cares about the most. (They are turning more and more into Apple everyday.)

However, maybe with a stroke of good luck and 1000 petition signatures...

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4

swordmastr54

Mar 11, 2013
Houston
From what I know its not Samsung its Verizon att etc , if I buy the international version of this phone its bootloader is unlocked somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

retrogrymlyn

Oct 8, 2011
From what I know its not Samsung its Verizon att etc , if I buy the international version of this phone its bootloader is unlocked somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

To be entirely honest, I'm not sure. Although you do sound correct.

However, I'm sure if this petition make 1000 signatures, Change.org would get it sent to the leads of the departments in both companies. It's called CHANGE.org for a reason, and if they weren't to do that, I would be genuinely surprised. I guess we'll just have to get it signed and see what happens! :fingers-crossed:

retrogrymlyn

Oct 8, 2011

Also, Knox was created by Samsung either way. Meaning that they technically could come out with a BL unlock, if they really wanted to for Verizon customers. (unless legal issues?)

douger1957

Jul 31, 2010
Fort Wayne
I'm not sure, but I suspect Samsung is looking to expand into a corporate environment where security is king. I can see the possibility of selling unlocked bootloaders to those customers who know the risks involved, but their challenge is to protect the security of their products. I don't know where Blackberry is with the ability to "root" their phones, but when I was on the Storm, all kinds of people were looking to unlock their devices and were stymied by the security measures in place.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
enterprise clients who represents the single largest bulk of cell phone sales vs those who mod their phones are driving the security for good reason...modders can purchase the dev edition with an unlocked BL if they want to...

safestrap is our option currently and gives us of plenty of choices.

Reactions: joshm.1219

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Also, Knox was created by Samsung either way. Meaning that they technically could come out with a BL unlock, if they really wanted to for Verizon customers. (unless legal issues?)

Well of course they could, Samsung does the actual "locking" of course. But it's the carrier that makes them do it.

To be honest 1,000 signatures is a joke compared to millions of enterprise customers.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Skrazz

Jan 28, 2011
Tampa
Barack Obama will personally address this issue if we get enough signatures!

Sent from my SCH-I545

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Please unlock the bootloader of the SCH-I545, respectively. We wouldn't want this device to be retired due to the fact that the people are not fully satisfied with it in its current state.

I'm not signing that. It doesn't even make sense. ITYM "respectfully." And, they're not going to retire a phone because people are not fully satisfied, they retire phones when they don't sell or a newer model comes out.

And why not call it what Verizon calls it - the Samsung Galaxy S4? Do you think some VP keeps track of the phones by model number?

gnubian

Mar 15, 2012
Asheville
Such writing. Much horrible. Wow. If you want to make a petition you may want to proofread and/or learn the English language first. However, even if the petition was properly worded it would not help to unlock the bootloader any more than me praying for it to be unlocked. Nice try though.

douger1957

Jul 31, 2010
Fort Wayne
I'm not signing that. It doesn't even make sense. ITYM "respectfully." And, they're not going to retire a phone because people are not fully satisfied, they retire phones when they don't sell or a newer model comes out.

And why not call it what Verizon calls it - the Samsung Galaxy S4? Do you think some VP keeps track of the phones by model number?

Not to mention that from a hardware standpoint, this phone is still pretty good a year after its release.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Funny fact is the verizon rep spoke yesterday to us saying "all of our phones are unlocked and are free to do what you want with them"
That's true from a carrier perspective. He was referring to "SIM locks," which prevent a phone from being used on a different carrier. People who've dealt with GSM phones are more familiar with the concept - other than some pre-pay phones, I'm not aware of any US CDMA ones which were ever locked (and they didn't have SIMs, so it's not a true SIM lock, they did it in a different way).

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Funny fact is the verizon rep spoke yesterday to us saying "all of our phones are unlocked and are free to do what you want with them"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

they are unlocked from carrier veiwpoint

again, its enterprise customers which number in the millions vs modders who number in the thousands who drive this.......

if you want to mod a phone, a developer edition is available

void4ever

Jan 14, 2011
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
I'm sorry but I'm completely confused by your attitude toward this. Here you are on the largest modding website known to man and by your post count you've been here for quite a while. Yet you solution is "buy a dev phone".

I guess that might make sense for the devs who are creating roms for the community, but what about there userbase? Are you saying every single person on these boards (with a locked bootloader) should purchase a dev phone? I mean you might as well just close the site at that point because the userbase is going to dwindle, and then you've just got dev's making roms for devs.

I bought this phone, it is now my property and i should have the option to do with it what i please.

I guess I'll have to start buying dev car's and dev computers when i want to make mods to them too with that kind of attitude.

Void4ever

if you want to mod a phone, a developer edition is available

Reactions: Teknova

Addiso

Jul 3, 2012
San Bernardino
Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Series
I'm sorry but I'm completely confused by your attitude toward this. Here you are on the largest modding website known to man and by your post count you've been here for quite a while. Yet you solution is "buy a dev phone".

I guess that might make sense for the devs who are creating roms for the community, but what about there userbase? Are you saying every single person on these boards (with a locked bootloader) should purchase a dev phone? I mean you might as well just close the site at that point because the userbase is going to dwindle, and then you've just got dev's making roms for devs.

I bought this phone, it is now my property and i should have the option to do with it what i please.

I guess I'll have to start buying dev car's and dev computers when i want to make mods to them too with that kind of attitude.

Void4ever

It's not about the attitude, it's about not much could be done to get Verizon to side with us in giving us unlocked bootloaders. Up to this day there has not being an unlock for the S4, Note 3, or newly updated S3. With it being so tight the only way to go is to buy a developer edition. User base or not, the answer for a bootloader unlock isn't going to just fall out of the sky the chances only get slimmer by the holes that get patched up from each loophole. Of course I see your side of your case but I also see why he'd say buy have a dev phone or simply jump carriers or a different phone that can be unlocked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe this has been posted before, but I wanted to bring it back to life.

I received a new phone from Asurion (I'm on Verizon.) today. It came prepacked with MK2.

You can imagine the frustration with this that I had after having AOSP KitKat on my previous GS4, and I'm willing to do just about anything to bring the new one to a firmware in which I can unlock the bootloader.

Anyway, here is the Change.org link: http://www.change.org/petitions/sam...ock-the-bootloader-of-the-verizon-s4-sch-i545

Were only 340 signatures away.
    Unlocked please. Sign away people!
    Sign what? Did you actually even look at the link you want people to sign? Its closed. You can't sign it.

Even if you could sign it, its horribly written and its only point is:
    "We wouldn't want this device to be retired due to the fact that the people are not fully satisfied with it in its current state"
    Which is ****ing retarted because
    a.) Samsung would love for it to be retired so we can buy S5s.
    b.) It feign threats by inferring an locked bootloader would deter sales... This petition got 1,227 signatures, meanwhile samsung sold OVER 40 million S4s...
    So 0.00307% is warning Samsung they want an unlocked bootloader... And customers have INCREASED as the S5 sold 10 million units in its first 25 days, beating the S4 to the mark by 2 days.... AFTER the whole locked bootloader thing made people "not fully satisfied with it in its current state"

So can we lock this dumb thread now?

Sincerely,
    [My name]
    A new exploit has been found with Snapdragon devices. Maybe we'll be able to get an unlocked boot loader without having to ask Samsung (although I did sign the petition)

This gonna be good

if you're talking about Dan Rosenberg's TrustZone exploit.. no.
    jcase confirmed. no. not gonna happen.
    maybe if i sell my internal organs to the devil it might happen, otherwise, no
    Barack Obama will personally address this issue if we get enough signatures!

Sent from my SCH-I545

wrong site lol

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    I can pitch in a kidney

alright im on the phone with the devil right now.. we're meeting tomorrow, send me that kidney pls

in all seriousness, im pretty sure this petition was dead, and even if the signatures were met, what exactly would happen? verizon is known not to give a **** about angry geeks like us. verizon is so anti-root and anti-good-business-practices it isn't even funny. it's borderline illegal (im sure their practices have caused obscene GPL violations before)
    samsung seems a little bit more open to that, every other version of the s4 (with the exception of at&t) has an unlockable bootloader, but like i said that **** should be mandatory.
    such a shame because this phone has great hardware. software is usually easily fixed, but not in this case, my friends. i'm hopeful, i think Dan's exploit will do SOMETHING for us, and we have quite a few talented devs in these realms, plus the kexec idea (aosp kernel) is getting thrown around again. but who knows, maybe we're just talking out of our you-know-whats and eventually nothing's gonna get done and then someone's gonna sell an MDK S4 for $1,523 on ebay.

/rant over