[GUIDE][S-OFF] Unlock Bootloader without htcdev | Revert to LOCKED status.

Search This thread

-Duir-

Feb 13, 2012
California
OnePlus 6T
This requires S-OFF to use, follow at your own risk!

This will let you unlock your bootloader without htcdev and also let you change your hboot watermark from RELOCKED back to stock LOCKED.

Advantages:
  • No having your data partition wiped
  • The ability to get back to 100% stock without any visual trace of having unlocked your bootloader
  • Does not modify the hboot so works independently and can be used with any hboot version
  • Works whether you've updated to KitKat or not as the specific block is not remapped by the OTA.
Credits:
scotty1223: I've linked to his M7 thread a few times in our old Desire 601 thread, now that we have our own section I figured I'd post the information here so people could better find and take advantage of it.
Requirements:
  • ADB installed on your computer
  • Drivers for your phone installed on your computer (HTC Sync Manager will do that for you).
  • Device must be S-OFF
  • Device must be rooted
First Things First:
Before you do anything it is highly recommended that you backup the section of your phone this guide will be modifying.
  • Open a command prompt in your adb folder
  • Type adb shell and press enter.
  • Type su and press enter if needed to a get a root shell.
  • Type/paste dd if="/dev/block/mmcblk0p3" of="/storage/ext_sd/mmcblk0p3.img" and press enter
  • Now it will be backed up to your external SDCARD and we can continue.
Unlock your Bootloader:
Open a command prompt in your adb folder and do the following:
  • Type adb shell and press enter
  • Type su and press enter if needed to get a root shell
  • Rather than type it is recommended you paste the following:
    • echo -ne "HTCU" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796 and press enter
  • Type exit and press enter
  • Type exit and press enter if needed to return to a normal command prompt
  • Type adb reboot bootloader and press enter
  • Verify you are now UNLOCKED
Regain your LOCKED status:
    • echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796 and press enter
  • Verify you are now LOCKED
Notes:
  • I have personally tested this on my ZARA_CL both before and after updating to KitKat.
  • Confirmed by other users to work for ZARA_UL as well.
2014-07-11-02.47.jpg

Last edited:

Hedied4me

Sep 21, 2012
Lost Angeles
Good looking out Duir, I know this will come in handy for me someday. Especially since it doesn't wipe ur data like HTC dev unlock process usually does.

Sent from my Virgin Mobile CDMA HTC Desire 601 zara_cl

Smellie2

Apr 25, 2010
I don't understand how to do this after updating to KK. You have to have root to gain #, right? And you can't root without a custom recovery. But you can't flash a custom recovery with a locked bootloader. So, which step am I missing here? My adb shell only accepts $.

-Duir-

Feb 13, 2012
California
OnePlus 6T
I don't understand how to do this after updating to KK. You have to have root to gain #, right? And you can't root without a custom recovery. But you can't flash a custom recovery with a locked bootloader. So, which step am I missing here? My adb shell only accepts $.
Flashing recovery through fastboot requires unlocked bootloader, but with S-OFF you can make a zip file and bootloader will flash it automatically.

Smellie2

Apr 25, 2010
Flashing recovery through fastboot requires unlocked bootloader, but with S-OFF you can make a zip file and bootloader will flash it automatically.

And now the question you have been waiting for: how do I do that?
And when I have the zip file, do I just put it on my internal sd and reboot into bootloader?

Smellie2

Apr 25, 2010
I have a guide for that here. :)

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but how can I download the android.txt file? It doesn't download, it just opens. I thought of copying the tekst in it, but I have a vague recollection of a special way to save a txt file or it doesn't work. Or is that just in java?

EDIT: never mind, just tried and it worked!

Last edited:

Tyson12

Dec 26, 2015

This will let you unlock your bootloader without htcdev and also let you change your hboot watermark from RELOCKED back to stock LOCKED.

Advantages:
  • The ability to get back to 100% stock without any visual trace of having unlocked your bootloader
  • Does not modify the hboot so works independently and can be used with any hboot version
  • Works whether you've updated to KitKat or not as the specific block is not remapped by the OTA.
Credits:
scotty1223: I've linked to his M7 thread a few times in our old Desire 601 thread, now that we have our own section I figured I'd post the information here so people could better find and take advantage of it.
Requirements:
  • Drivers for your phone installed on your computer (HTC Sync Manager will do that for you).
  • Device must be S-OFF
  • Device must be rooted
First Things First:
Before you do anything it is highly recommended that you backup the section of your phone this guide will be modifying.
  • Type/paste dd if="/dev/block/mmcblk0p3" of="/storage/ext_sd/mmcblk0p3.img" and press enter
Unlock your Bootloader:
    • echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796 and press enter
Notes:
  • I have personally tested this on my ZARA_CL both before and after updating to KitKat.
2014-07-11-02.47.jpg
[/

Last edited:

ardeeb

Aug 15, 2017
I have locked the bootloader by using
echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796 command.
then I used
adb reboot bootloader comant to reboot.
When it's executes the HTC Desire601(zara ul) the screen got off but it will not getting turn on again and also will not be able to charge the mobile.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Advantages:
    Credits:
    Requirements:
    • Device must be S-OFF
    • Device must be rooted
    First Things First:
    Unlock your Bootloader:
    Notes:
    2014-07-11-02.47.jpg
    the unlock process is worked on my zara_ul....i dont know about the regain locked status
    Lock\unlock worked on my Zara_UL (Europe). Thanks for guide.
    And now the question you have been waiting for: how do I do that?
    And when I have the zip file, do I just put it on my internal sd and reboot into bootloader?
    I have a guide for that here. :)