Xperia X2: How to change language (re-flash an Stock Spanish ROM)

Search This thread

fulgerul

Dec 11, 2007
@A66FM

Tried it , nothing good happens.

Installed the Spanish cabs and reflashed, my phone is in Swedish as before.

What do I do wrong ? It's getting really frustrating!

bob2k4

Apr 18, 2008
Can someone help with the extraction instructions? step by step?

I've followed whats writted but dont end up with the same 3 files or cab files that everyone says. I get an error during extraction too.

SancheSZ

Apr 3, 2008
Moscow
Possibly off-topic here, but...
Re-flashed my device from Russian to GENERIC_UK MR2. I had to reasons - just i like English interface more, and MR2 is not available for Russian firmware yet.

Everything is good, except hardware keyboard usage. Unfortunately I cannot switch input language with special hardware button now. If I switch it with button on software keyboard, hardware keyb. uses the selected language normally (I mean I can use hard. keyb. with both English and Russian layouts, but layout can be switched only through software keyboard).

Any ideas how to fix it?

SancheSZ

Apr 3, 2008
Moscow
I found which CABs are responsible for FW language setting (for SEUS):

something like

zzz020_content.cab
and/or
zzzzSEUS_VersionInfoCUSEN.cab

They copy 3 small text files containing FW version info to the \Windows folder:

swVersionCust.txt
swvercust.txt (actually the copy of above)
swVersionProduct.txt

Other CABs don't differ between language versions or don't contain special information.

After that I extracted mentioned text files from CABs and edited them - I put there the version info from my Russian ROM DeviceInfo screen information (I took a screenshot of it before re-flashing to UK). After that I copied them to \Windows, overwriting present files (without hard reset) folder and tried to re-flash with SEUS. For some reason it didn't work, I got the UK ROM again, probably because no hard reset was made before.

Made a second attempt: on clean ROM installed some of the CABs (from UK FW, I didn't have other CABs). I installed only small CABs and didn't two above mentioned CABs. After installing CABs I copied 3 modified txt files to \Windows. And it worked this time - I managed to restore my original MR1 Russian ROM.

Probably only one of three text files makes the trick (or only one of two CABs), but I had no time to experiment further.

johmut

Feb 4, 2010
Xperia X2 - Change of Language - Is it a hoax ?

Hi All,

When the method to change the language on the SE X2 was published on this forum, I thought it was the best thing next to sliced bread....

However, by now I know my way around with the X2 and have tried several attempts to run through the procedure without success. It has taken me hours to do hard-resets, interrupt the CAB installation, install all the cabs one by one, put the device in update mode, force the update once more, ....
Only to find out that my Swedish X2 remains a Swedish X2 and will probably never be anything else than a Swedisch X2 :-(

swVersionPlatform.txt is marked as a read-only and system file and contains in my case the Swedish settings. No way to change that file. Even if one could change that file, the SPL specifies the language code for the device that later on triggers SEUS to update to the specific language version only.
My conclusion: As long as there is no HardSPL for the X2, there is no solution.

If anyone has been able to pull this off, I would like to hear more about it.
For me it certainly didn't work out as expected. Can't really see how it could have when looking back at the procedure now. I feel like my leg was pulled.

Milow

Mar 14, 2009
@johmut:
This is how it worked for me when only SW and UK were available a few days ago. I had a SG version. I just used the instructions that others here already gave. But I only installed two cabs and it worked. But I also had to change the SEUS software on my PC. That seems to be important as well.

1) Downloaded the R3A Generic_UK Cab pack from : megaupload.com/?d=35LZ05OO

2) Ccopied only those two cabs from the full pack
zzzzSEUS_VersionInfoCUSEN.cab
and
zzz020_content.cab
to my storage card on the X2. All other cabs are not required at all I believe!

3) Cleared the phone memory located in Settings -> System -> Clear phone memory
ONCE IT REBOOTS, CALIBRATION SCREEN APPEARS. RIGHT AFTER CLICKING ON THE CROSSES, IT WILL APPEAR THE SONY ERICSSON LOGO, AND IT WILL START APPLYING THE CABS. PUSH THE RESET RIGHT after it starts applying (the reset button which is hidden behind the stylus after opening the battery cover).

After rebooting, the Sony Logo will appear again asking to retry. Press NO.

Phone now starts in basic mode.

4) Removed SEUS from my PC and loaded a new SEUS from UK page on my PC !!!

5) I deleted this folder now: C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Update Service\db

6) Installed the zzz020_content.cab from the storage card.

7) Pressed the rest button again.

8) Updated via SEUS again, it might or might not say you have the latest firmware already, but I said "YES" to install anyway

Now it loads a 126.8MB file! (If it is 123.1Mb or 128MB it is still MR1 I believe).

But the 126.8MB file is the Generic UK MR2 firmware! And my SG version is now officially a UK version!