[APP] Keyboard for tablets - Development thread

Search This thread

mssmison

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2008
Google Pixel 5
Hey guys,
Just wanted to share an image with you of a keyboard project I'm working on for tablets. Currently all dev and testing is being done on my Galaxy Tab, but next week I'll start working on the xoom screensize port as well.

Info:A free basic multitouch keyboard for tablets, (a paid version with more features may come later, or I may just update the free version)
Features:
-Fast
-Word prediction
-Multitouch
-capability for multilanguage support (depends on interest I guess)
-FREE (My favorite words ever!)

How can you help?
Well as you can see there is some space in the middle of the screen, while I've still setup the keyboard with a seperate symbols keyboard (also tablet/thumb friendly) I'm wondering if there are some 'must have' buttons that should be put in the middle. My thoughts are they should be key's that are essential but not normally used, like arrow keys maybe? There's probably room for about 12 keys? So chime in and let me know.

How do I help not to clog up this thread
:) I don't need testers thanks. But if I do in the future I'll ask.

When is it coming out! I want it now!
As soon as it's ready, obviously it's mothers day this weekend so don't expect it until next week some time at the earliest.

Final info:
This is not the final theme, although it will be something along these lines probably.. I like a clean, minimalistic approach. Also in the second picture (the symbols) you can see the keys are slightly larger, I've also not decided on the final key size yet.

*Update*,
I've updated the attached pictures with the latest revision, and the initial sizing for the 10.1" Tablets. I've only speant a few minutes with the xoom, but being able to input text with both thumbs while holding it makes all the difference in the world.
*Update*, Portrait orientation fixed for 7 and 10" layout
*Update 05-12* I'm pretty happy where things are at right now with the 7" version. I just need to incorporate those changes into the 10.1" size and it should be basically ready. I've tweaked the sizing a bit since these latest screenshots now that I can put the xoom through more testing. I'll maybe add another couple of languages before release, if not everyone can work on those after. I've kept the additional keys in the space minimal, as I said before I like minimal.
:)

Attachments

• forxda.jpg
    forxda.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 465
  • forxda2.jpg
    forxda2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 337
  • forxdahoneycomb.jpg
    forxdahoneycomb.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

neogenesis213

May 11, 2009
hey that's pretty great. But instead of black is it possible to make the background translucence so as to see the content of the app.

zztfox

Nov 16, 2010
www.facebook.com
Will this require 2.2+?

I know you specified Galaxy Tabs, but I have been messing with a cmp738a craig tablet lately and this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Would be willing to test it if you are willing to add support.

aholstenson

Jul 14, 2010
I have played around with a Xoom for a while and this looks like a great replacement for the stock keyboard.

One thing I really miss on the Xoom is the ability to quickly write numbers by long pressing the alphabetic keys (secondary keys in general would be nice).

Frequently used keys in the middle seems great, a few symbol keys would fit nicely there. I find myself typing @ a lot, but other than I can't think of anything (except numbers) that I type often.

// A

Sergio Nova

Oct 25, 2010
What about the international characters? It would make no sense to limit your work to English language, especially in times of European Community. If possible, it should be more explicit than they Android standard one.

UrbanRider

Jan 11, 2009
Perfect it was a customizable panel, on which we could put our preferred characters/smiles/etc

charm1718

Oct 17, 2007
Looks nice. An @ button instead of an emoticon button might be used more in the default layout. Also, left and right arrow keys in case someone misspells a word & do not want to delete all letters or try to tap the exact space before the wrong letter.

mssmison

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2008
Google Pixel 5
Well its really designed for tablets and landscape mode.. on the todo list is portrait layout.
As for the @ sign and the number keys. They'll be setup on the symbols keyboard(as per the pic) and with long presses. Though honestly its faster to access them on the symbols keyboard than by long pressing.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Last edited:

mssmison

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2008
Google Pixel 5
a.) I wish it could look that good
b.) there's not way it'll have the same level of features.. well not 'no way', but not likely at all :)

gr3gm1tch

Aug 28, 2008
Initial concept looks pretty good. Things that stand out for me as a Xoom user with slightly more space:
  • Ability to swap between traditional and thumb layout
  • Arrow keys would be fantastic
  • Long press for secondary symbols much like GB keyboard.

Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited:

mssmison

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2008
Google Pixel 5
latest updates added. Thanks for all your feedback guys. A couple of notes.
this is for a tablet layout, the original layout will not be available to switch between, the portrait is fairly close to stock.
I haven't added in arrow keys as of yet, and don't think I will before release. In all my years with android I've never needed them so why add more clutter.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    Just wanted to share an image with you of a keyboard project I'm working on for tablets. Currently all dev and testing is being done on my Galaxy Tab, but next week I'll start working on the xoom screensize port as well.

Info:A free basic multitouch keyboard for tablets, (a paid version with more features may come later, or I may just update the free version)
    Features:
    -Fast
    -Word prediction
    -Multitouch
    -capability for multilanguage support (depends on interest I guess)
    -FREE (My favorite words ever!)

How can you help?
    Well as you can see there is some space in the middle of the screen, while I've still setup the keyboard with a seperate symbols keyboard (also tablet/thumb friendly) I'm wondering if there are some 'must have' buttons that should be put in the middle. My thoughts are they should be key's that are essential but not normally used, like arrow keys maybe? There's probably room for about 12 keys? So chime in and let me know.

How do I help not to clog up this thread
    :) I don't need testers thanks. But if I do in the future I'll ask.

When is it coming out! I want it now!
    As soon as it's ready, obviously it's mothers day this weekend so don't expect it until next week some time at the earliest.

Final info:
    This is not the final theme, although it will be something along these lines probably.. I like a clean, minimalistic approach. Also in the second picture (the symbols) you can see the keys are slightly larger, I've also not decided on the final key size yet.

*Update*,
    I've updated the attached pictures with the latest revision, and the initial sizing for the 10.1" Tablets. I've only speant a few minutes with the xoom, but being able to input text with both thumbs while holding it makes all the difference in the world.
    *Update*, Portrait orientation fixed for 7 and 10" layout
    *Update 05-12* I'm pretty happy where things are at right now with the 7" version. I just need to incorporate those changes into the 10.1" size and it should be basically ready. I've tweaked the sizing a bit since these latest screenshots now that I can put the xoom through more testing. I'll maybe add another couple of languages before release, if not everyone can work on those after. I've kept the additional keys in the space minimal, as I said before I like minimal.
    :)