[HOW TO] Disable OTA Update (G-Note 3) Notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search This thread

boamuro

May 9, 2014
Relax man, usually these things can be fixed. Did you install safestrap recovery before this happened?

No, I didn't... I just rooted it using KINGO and right when I was about to delete the OTA (SDM.apk) file, the OTA update pop came up again and I accidentally pressed the UPDATE button and it shut down and installed the update before I could ENJOY THE ROOT WORLD... So basically, I only had SuperSU...

I don't like what KitKat did to the options... I really wish I could go back to Jellybean. I feel like when I'm typing, the vibrating is weaker and too responsive now.

Blaqhawk

Sep 10, 2010
Sierra Vista
www.blaqhawk.com
Okay, I know there has been some activity here since my original post so I wanted to provide an update.

Another (new member) contacted me a few days ago and asked me to post this:

Hey I'm not new to the site but can't post anything because I was mainly here to gather info on rooting my droid x2 years ago. I now have the note 3 and have been trying to post but I didn't seem to be allowed. I was hoping I could email this to you and you post it on your recent thread to help people.

In getting rid of the Update notification while being stock and not rooted I have found a way to make it disappear so far for me.

Long press the home button and go to task manager then a green SDM icon will say its running. Close out of it and the notification goes away.

Was hoping this could help people out who like me don't want to update. Personally I like FoxFi and the colored icons. All the same color seems to bland. I like seeing my battery change and the little sending/receiving arrows light up.

-Matthew (Shadowstrike099)

I responded with this:

Yep, I found that out last night. However, every time I stopped the app, it restarted itself so I had to freeze it with Titanium Backup (requires Root). I'll try to remember to post it when I get some time though. Thanks!

Adam

However, I think the latter (Freezing the SDM) app with TiBackup did the trick. As a side note, I've noticed that one of my actions above has somehow affected my ability to update apps in the Google Play store. I'll have to continue looking for that solution whenever I get some time. Hopefully my rambling helps clarify this for at least one person.

-Adam

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Been happy with stock 4.3 with FoxFi WIFI tethering without root. Started getting the OTA nag this morning and even after force stopping SDM it would restart itself and resume the OTA download. Ended up getting the latest Samsung drivers from Verizon and rooted with Kingoapp 1.18 (do Google search and get direct from source). Also had USB Debugging enabled, Verify apps disabled and Unknown sources temporarily allowed. Root worked on first try then used Titanium Backup to freeze SDM to stop the OTA nag.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-N900VZKEVZW

BlastTyrantKM

Dec 21, 2011
I've had half the dl speed and a worse signal strength since going to kk. I would probably go back to jb if there was a way.

I'm having the opposite experience. It was a bit rough at first, but after the update I did a full factory reset and everything has been perfect since then.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bigdad1963

Nov 20, 2011
Bluffton/Hilton Head area
I'm having the opposite experience. It was a bit rough at first, but after the update I did a full factory reset and everything has been perfect since then.

I started from scratch too, & kept it for a couple of weeks and even tried a couple of the ROMS. I must just have "one of those rare phones" that I've read about as I've worked my way through ics and jellyb. Anyways, I'm back on JB and am really enjoying the Eclipse ROM and the only thing I'm missing from kk is the camera icon on the lock screen (and I'm pretty sure there's an exposed mod to workaround that). I'm sure I'll try again with Lemon drop (Licorice?, Lemonade?). As usual (Everybody), thanks for the great feedback. I love this community!

Last edited:

mikeyk101

I followed the directions of the OP completely but every morning, when checking the phone, I kept getting a software update error message. I saw in another thread that it is a good idea to also freeze SDM with Titanium Backup. I don't have that and didn't want to purchase it just to freeze that one app. I found another program on Google Play that is free. It is called App Quarantine Root/Freeze. With that app, I was able to freeze SDM and so far no more update error notifications.

thevegasbomb

Jul 24, 2010
lubbock
I wish I would have seen this!..I dodged it for a bit but was trying to reboot when I accidentally hit the update...and now I don't know what to do..I really only got this phone to root it!..is there anything I can do?..

ginfest

Thanks for the guide and tips here. I found some of the files mentioned and couldn't figure out where the others were until I realized that I had already flashed the NC2 KK ROM and the dev had removed the Verizon update crap! Anyway, my new Note 3 is all rooted and under m control, not Verizon's ;)

friendsm_32

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for this...it was annoying for sure!

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

davewalden

May 29, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
confirmed for samsung galaxy note pro 12.2

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

confirmed for samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 on November 22nd, 2014.

tjmethod

Feb 20, 2012
Foxboro
Hi thanks for the great guide- the ota notification started coming at me rapid fire- I almost thought vzw was going to juice it to my phone automatically.
The only thing I encountered is that the small change in step 3 is that in my phone there is no LocalFotaClient.apk- it is LocalFota.apk (no client)- so I just renamed that as LocaFota.apk.bak along with FWUpgrade.apk.bak.
So am I on the right track?
Thamks again.
TJ

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

older gentleman

Nov 19, 2015
When you say go to step 2 to rename the file, where do I go to do that? I don't have a file that is named that. Do I need to use USB to desktop to change or what.
Note 3 4.4.2
I'm suppose to be rooted but cannot remove SDM or turn it off. So darn tired of the continuous lollipop update trying to push through. Please keep in mind that I need this explained as simply as possible. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

straykat

Apr 16, 2015
When you say go to step 2 to rename the file, where do I go to do that? I don't have a file that is named that. Do I need to use USB to desktop to change or what.
Note 3 4.4.2
I'm suppose to be rooted but cannot remove SDM or turn it off. So darn tired of the continuous lollipop update trying to push through. Please keep in mind that I need this explained as simply as possible. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Is your phone rooted already? I would assume it is...

You should be able to find the files mentioned in the original post with ES Explorer (can get from the Play Store).... then do what is recommended. That's probably one easy way to accomplish it. - You need to be rooted to do so however. Hope this helps.

halx

May 2, 2010
N.Cal
So, the new update from Verizon is here again. But the instruction is probably obsolete.

Step 1 is OK. Deleted the ~350M update zip.
Step 2 is OK. Renamed the file.
Step 3. There are no any .apks in the /system/app/ on my rooted Note 3 with Android 5.0 anymore. But I've found the LocalFota folder with the LocalFOTA.apk in it and the ARM folder. Renamed both. No trace of the FWUpgrade.apk though.

Used some other "guides" and have the "Security Policy Updates SPD_v2_" and "System Updates (Samsung SDM) apps frozen as well.

Is that good enough?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Solution:
    Step 4. Reboot

Wouldn't just freezing the "SDM" app do the trick? And possibly "FWUpgrade", although i heard that just SDM works
    Say I'm not using TiBu. Can I use root explore to change something with sdm or should I just do what was originally posted?

I personally use ROM Toolbox to do it
    Wouldn't just freezing the "SDM" app do the trick? And possibly "FWUpgrade", although i heard that just SDM works

You're right. Freezing just sdm would do the trick lol

You're right. Freezing just sdm would do the trick lol

Say I'm not using TiBu. Can I use root explore to change something with sdm or should I just do what was originally posted?