[App] TV Show Favs, Help us beta test it!

Search This thread

m_kranzler11

Nov 5, 2007
Hi guys, an app I've been working on for the better part of 6 months has been released into the market as a free beta. It's called TV Show Favs and lets you manage all of your favorite TV shows.

It shows you a personal schedule for all upcoming shows of your favorites, has a top favs for all users, allows you to track every episode you have watched, and it even has a custom notification manager where you can either choose to be notified for all your shows, or just the shows you want, or even at an episode level. You can choose to be notified at a default time (5 min up to a week), or select an individual episode and choose the exact time/date. Also, everything is stored online, so you never lose any of your data, and once we eventually have a website to manage online, and potentially an iphone app, your info goes with!

In less than 3 days we have had over 1000 downloads already. I am working my butt off to fix any bugs that are reported and implement any feature suggestions. Any feedback is great! Thanks!

Here is our website - www.tvshowfavs.com - which has some info about the app as well as some screenshots, and the link to the app in the market. If you are too lazy to go to the site, here is the market link: http://market.android.com/search?q=pname:com.tvshowfavs

Here are some screen shots:

home.png

schedule.png

seriesinfo1.png

topfavs.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I just downloaded your app and it looks great. I cant wait to try it out.
Do you have any plans to make a widget showing upcoming shows.

thesecondsfade

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
I love this program. You should incorporate reviews and user ratings from IMDB or something... and the ability to write reviews directly in your app and post to IMDB (if possible). Also, if you could mark all shows on all seasons watched at once instead of tapping seasons/season 1/menu/mark all watched... meaning eliminate one middle step... seasons/menu/mark all watched, that'd be sweet too.

E_man5112

Jul 13, 2010
Awesome. Just downloaded, will post impressions soon. I really liked droid series, but no notifications hurt.

E_man5112

Jul 13, 2010
Quick impressions:

Interface is amazing for finding and searching shows
It looks like it will be invaluable for keeping on top of things (most of my shows happen to start this week, so I get lost!)

In fact, the only problem I have with this app, is it doesn't look like it will be that good at keeping up with old series your going through. To fix that, I'd like to see

• In the page, with the show, under seasons tab, there is a list of all seasons. Under the season number, I'd like to see "x unwatched episodes"
  • I'd like to be able to mark the entire season as watched
  • An option to mark multiple seasons watched at once

Droid Series does these things excellently, if you want a good example. However, yours is far better at keeping up with current shows. Fix the above problems, and I would for sure be a buyer. Otherwise, I'll still be stuck with two programs for TV.

johnjohn25

Jun 7, 2010
Austin
Its a good app, and i saw that you added calender integration? I'm not sure how to sync it with my calender though. Is this actually a feature or something coming soon?

m_kranzler11

Nov 5, 2007
I love this program. You should incorporate reviews and user ratings from IMDB or something... and the ability to write reviews directly in your app and post to IMDB (if possible). Also, if you could mark all shows on all seasons watched at once instead of tapping seasons/season 1/menu/mark all watched... meaning eliminate one middle step... seasons/menu/mark all watched, that'd be sweet too.

We do have plans on doing user reviews and ratings within the app. We also plan on having relational suggestions, as well as comments for shows and episodes. These are things that will likely make the main release, possibly the beta. Also, in the next update (Sunday or Monday), we will have the option to set a show as watched and a season as watched. As for IMDB, this is a great idea and I will look into it.

m_kranzler11

Nov 5, 2007
Quick impressions:

Interface is amazing for finding and searching shows
It looks like it will be invaluable for keeping on top of things (most of my shows happen to start this week, so I get lost!)

In fact, the only problem I have with this app, is it doesn't look like it will be that good at keeping up with old series your going through. To fix that, I'd like to see

• In the page, with the show, under seasons tab, there is a list of all seasons. Under the season number, I'd like to see "x unwatched episodes"
  • I'd like to be able to mark the entire season as watched
  • An option to mark multiple seasons watched at once

Droid Series does these things excellently, if you want a good example. However, yours is far better at keeping up with current shows. Fix the above problems, and I would for sure be a buyer. Otherwise, I'll still be stuck with two programs for TV.

Thanks for the suggestions! Like I mentioned, we do plan on the option to mark shows/seasons as watched. I do like the idea for showing how many unwatched episodes though, so I will add that to my todo list!

m_kranzler11

Nov 5, 2007
Its a good app, and i saw that you added calender integration? I'm not sure how to sync it with my calender though. Is this actually a feature or something coming soon?

To add an episode to the calendar just select any episode in a list (List of episodes in the episode list view, episode on the schedule) or select the "Add To Calendar" menu option in the menu on the episode info screen.

E_man5112

Jul 13, 2010
What exactly do you mean by no notifications? There are notifications in the app, in fact the most customizable notifications of any app I can imagine.

I meant droid series (the app I used previously like this) had no notifications, and that was the biggest drawback to it. Loving the notifications/schedule on this app :D

m2thedeep

Jul 26, 2010
I like it so far. My only complaints would be that instead of episode information I see pictures and that the color scheme (grey and dark blue) is a little ugly.

m2thedeep

Jul 26, 2010
Kind of thought the colour scheme was pleasing to the eyes personally:p

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand dark color schemes because not many people coordinate colors properly. For me, light grey color schemes are best because they're easy on the eyes and it's easy to find complementing colors. The android app market is a good example of a well designed app.

jaka.erc

Mar 25, 2009
Novo mesto
I can't find it in my market :( I'm using HD2 with Desire HD Android port. Can somebody help me. I'm a total TV shows junky. :p The app looks veeery nice!

muskogee

Jul 22, 2010
I was just needing this app...

With all the good shows on several different networks and the seasons of the shows hard to keep up with, I was wondering if there was app that could keep up with my shows and here it is. Can wait to put it to the test this week. :)

m_kranzler11

Nov 5, 2007
I can't find it in my market :( I'm using HD2 with Desire HD Android port. Can somebody help me. I'm a total TV shows junky. :p The app looks veeery nice!

Did you try using the direct link either via the barcode on the website or clicking the barcode on your phone? If so, it is very possible that since it is a leaked rom some apps don't show up. I have had that issue in the past when installing custom roms. Usually it requires the rom maker to modify something on the rom to make it work.

Zebwen

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2009
twitter.com
Really enjoy this app, does a lot of things I like. For some reason I couldn't find anywhere to link the schedule to my calendar? Running 2.2 (FroydVillain 1.5) on Hero. A couple of suggestions:

1) Option to turn on an additional button next to the "Watched" button in the schedule, named "Downloaded". So you can track which episodes you have downloaded, and then which of those you have watched (not for illegal use, most broadcasters let you download episodes from their websites legally, eg BBC). This button probably isn't needed by everyone, but having the ability to turn it on would be nice :)

2) A friends button. Allowing you to link to other people using the app to share Favs, and see who has watched what episodes (if they plan to share this information).

3) Comments. Would be great to be able to add comments to episodes, so your friends can see what you have said about an episode (add a tickbox for spoilers!). So when you click the "Watched" button, it gives you an option to add a comment.

4) Facebook (or Twitter) link. To post a status on Facebook/Twitter including your comment, for example: "Zebwen just watched House Season 6 Episode 1 and thought: Wow! About time!" (With a little pic of the House show image next to it, and a link to the show on TV.com or somesuch).

As it stands, this app is a great tool, these are just some suggestions that I would love to see for my own use. Keep up the great work!

Zeb

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, an app I've been working on for the better part of 6 months has been released into the market as a free beta. It's called TV Show Favs and lets you manage all of your favorite TV shows.

It shows you a personal schedule for all upcoming shows of your favorites, has a top favs for all users, allows you to track every episode you have watched, and it even has a custom notification manager where you can either choose to be notified for all your shows, or just the shows you want, or even at an episode level. You can choose to be notified at a default time (5 min up to a week), or select an individual episode and choose the exact time/date. Also, everything is stored online, so you never lose any of your data, and once we eventually have a website to manage online, and potentially an iphone app, your info goes with!

In less than 3 days we have had over 1000 downloads already. I am working my butt off to fix any bugs that are reported and implement any feature suggestions. Any feedback is great! Thanks!

Here is our website - www.tvshowfavs.com - which has some info about the app as well as some screenshots, and the link to the app in the market. If you are too lazy to go to the site, here is the market link: http://market.android.com/search?q=pname:com.tvshowfavs

Here are some screen shots:

home.png

schedule.png

seriesinfo1.png

topfavs.png
    I look forward to the update. Thanks :)

Update is live with the fix.
    Is it somehow possible to show tv shows that are running in germany?

All of the data comes from www.tvrage.com and www.thetvdb.com. If you add the show to both sites, it should show up within TV Show Favs in a couple days. However, since both sites are user/community updated, people need to fill in the information for the show.
    Hi guys, we have changed the pay model for the app. The app is now free with ads and a 14 day premium feature trial. The premium features are themes, language translation, notifications and facebook integration. If the premium key app is purchased, the ads get disabled and the premium features get unlocked. We are sorry we weren't up front about our plans for charging for the app. We didn't realize people would assume the app will always be free once it left beta. It was our fault and to hopefully remedy the situation we have changed the model as previously described. As always, we appreciate everyone who uses TV Show Favs.