[GUIDE] How to fix the GPS issue on CM and others

Search This thread

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Hi!

The GPS - issue (GPS searching forever, no fix, status bar does not even show the gps-icon) can be fixed by wiping the efs data.
This data is stored in partition 13 and partition 14 on the G2/DZ/DHD/MT4G.

Update 18.04.2011:
Given the tragic end of a phone because of a mistyped dd-command (see this post) i decided to create a tool to replace the original instructions. I leave the original instructions for people who are confident with dd and don't want do download something to get the job done.

So just to make this clear: Method 1 and Method 2 are alternative ways to do the same thing. I would recommend that you do it using Method 1 but anyways, don't do Method 1 and 2.

Method 1: Removing the efs-data using vision_wipe_efs:
Download vision_wipe_efs from vision_wipe_efs_01.zip (md5sum 7bced5385509a58a7c8b0a54d38a6897)

Remark:
The program vision_wipe_efs will create backups of the partition 13 and 14 on the sdcard using the name "/sdcard/part13backup-<time>.bin" and "/sdcard/part14backup-<time>.bin" so make sure that the sdcard is mounted to the phone.

Unpack the zip file to a directory on your PC. Open a terminal (or command window) on your PC and change the current directory to where the files are on your PC and execute this command (as always: do not type the # it only indicates the root prompt in the shell or the $ as the prompt in a non-root shell):
Code:
# adb push vision_wipe_efs /data/local/tmp/
You can also use other ways to copy the file to this directory but the following instructions assume that it is there.

Get a root shell on your phone (either using adb shell or a terminal app) and then use the following command:
If your prompt is not # but $ then first do:
Code:
$ su
and answer the question of Superuser. (Well you should all know this by now :) )
Code:
# stop rmt_storage
# chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/vision_wipe_efs
# /data/local/tmp/vision_wipe_efs
# reboot

Method 2: Removing the efs-data using dd (BRICK RISK):

To do this you have to get a root shell on your phone (either using adb shell or a terminal app) and then use the following command (as always: do not type the # it only indicates the root prompt in the shell or the $ as the prompt in a non-root shell)
Code:
$ su
and answer the question of Superuser. (Well you should all know this by now :) )
Code:
# stop rmt_storage
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14
# reboot

After you followed Method 1 or 2 should have your GPS back working.
To wipe the efs is general a good idea if you switched radio-firmware or the ril-libs (which might happen when you switch from one rom to another)

have fun - Guhl

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Hi!

The GPS - issue (GPS searching forever, no fix, status bar does not even show the gps-icon) can be fixed by wiping the efs data.

To do this you have to get a root shell on your phone (either using adb shell or a terminal app) and then use the following command (as always: do not type the # it only indicates the root prompt in the shell or the $ as the prompt in a non-root shell)
HTML:
$ su
HTML:
# stop rmt_storage
# reboot
After this you should have your gps back working.
To wipe the efs is general a good idea if you switched radio-firmware or the ril-libs (which might happen when you switch from one rom to another)

have fun - Guhl

please be careful with dd. (this isn't for you, op, but for the other hamfisted folks that try to fix things) ;)

why are there HTML backets in your post ?

Blades

Aug 11, 2008
Perhaps it should be mentioned to do the inverse beforehand.. just to play it safe.

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk13 of=/mnt/sdcard/p13backup
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk14 of=/mnt/sdcard/p14backup

I'd still stop that service beforehand..

although I must say.. my gps is ****ing awful after this.. but meh.. it could just be the time/place/conditions.. and by awful.. I mean.. it locks on.. with an error of 305 ft.. sorta screwy.. nothing is as bad as when I tried to modify the gps.conf to use other servers (like my hd2).. i got a 2-3 mile error with 10 sat locks.. :confused:

oh.. but this DID fix erratic gps behavior. and I'm betting that the accuracy will even out after a couple reboots/gpslocks.

Last edited:

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
please be careful with dd. (this isn't for you, op, but for the other hamfisted folks that try to fix things) ;)

Of course you are right. Be carefull to write the dd commands correctly. Later i will put a tool on my wiki that wipes the partitions without the use of dd.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Reactions: ahmedrzvi

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
Did anybody use gps status app to download new gps data after trying this?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

deliriousDroid

Dec 8, 2010
Alright, it worked, thanks. The notification even shows up in the notification bar now!

Sent from my SilverBullet "HTCDesireZ running CM7"

Last edited:

HAK Devil

Oct 20, 2009
Mississauga
Thanks for the tip but I am still unable to have my GPS work in CM after using this. I had no GPS problems with sense roms but have yet to get GPS working on any of the CM ones. I have tried reflashing numerous times with complete data, cache and system wipes alongside multiple radio/kernel reflashes but this just never works for me :(. Hopefully future releases of CM somehow get it working otherwise I will have to get back to sense

EDIT: Wow, as soon as I post this I decide to try reflashing my kernel one more time and lo and behold the GPS starts magically working! I did nothing different than what I hadn't already been doing but whatever I'm not complaining :D

Last edited:

BootloopedMillennials

Dec 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
What should be the output of the dd commands?

I got something about not enough space on the device error. I still continued with inputting the codes mentioned in the first post. Upon reboot GPS stopped working on me, it was working previously but really spotty. Ill give it some time until I flash CM7 final.

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
What should be the output of the dd commands?

I got something about not enough space on the device error. I still continued with inputting the codes mentioned in the first post. Upon reboot GPS stopped working on me, it was working previously but really spotty. Ill give it some time until I flash CM7 final.

The errors messages that there is no space left on the device are OK.
The dd commands just writes 0's into the output partition until it is full.

Staudamm

Mar 25, 2011
Hello to all,

I've read several posts and tried several things now with no success.

I'm currently on CM7 Stable
Radio 12.28h.60.140fU_26.06.02.27_M
Kernel 2.6.32.28-cyanogenmod_g4f4ee2e shade@toxygene#1.

GPS symbol shows when launching navigation, but no result. It keeps looking for the location. I wiped the Radio data several times as suggested.

Last thing on my list would be flashing a new radio. Since I've read that it can brick the phone I'm quite cautious.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: beepbloop

BootloopedMillennials

Dec 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
This is how you tell if your GPS is gonna work or not even before booting the os. If you get that small vibration after the normal bootup vibration, your GPS will not work. Been doing research on this.

cjward23

Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough
Hello to all,

GPS symbol shows when launching navigation, but no result. It keeps looking for the location. I wiped the Radio data several times as suggested.

Last thing on my list would be flashing a new radio. Since I've read that it can brick the phone I'm quite cautious.

Any other suggestions?

Changing radio solved my GPS issues, check my sig for the one I'm using.
I have changed my radio a few times since getting my DZ and have never had any problems. Just make sure you read the instructions a couple of times and check the md5 sum of the download and you will be fine.

neonlite

Dec 24, 2006
Rotterdam
www.danhnguyen.nl
I fixed it by uploading the gps.vision.so to /system/lib/hw/

But I used ADB instead of root explorer by using the following commands:
adb remount
adb push gps.vision.so /system/lib/hw
adb reboot

Originally Posted by slashjiang View Post

I tried to solve this issue by myself.
I extract the nightly build #34 (which GPS works in my G2), and compare it with #38 (GPS doesn't work), I found the file /system/lib/hw/gps.vision.so is different in both ROM. so, I tried to replace this file in my G2 with the same file which is from #34 by using Root Explorer, after reboot, GPS works. The icon in the notification bar appears.
Run GPS status, satellite signal found.
Run Google Maps, working too.

The gps.vision.so file from #34 is attached in ZIP format. Just download it, extract, and copy it to /system/lib/hw/ and replace original one. Have fun.

Hopes Cyanogen Team solve this issue. Thanks.

Last edited:

dthadamaja

Feb 10, 2008
Just wanted to add that these commands didn't work for me. I replaced the kernal with pershoots and it fixed the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

Update 18.04.2011:
    Given the tragic end of a phone because of a mistyped dd-command (see this post) i decided to create a tool to replace the original instructions. I leave the original instructions for people who are confident with dd and don't want do download something to get the job done.

So just to make this clear: Method 1 and Method 2 are alternative ways to do the same thing. I would recommend that you do it using Method 1 but anyways, don't do Method 1 and 2.

Method 1: Removing the efs-data using vision_wipe_efs:
    Download vision_wipe_efs from vision_wipe_efs_01.zip (md5sum 7bced5385509a58a7c8b0a54d38a6897)

Remark:
    The program vision_wipe_efs will create backups of the partition 13 and 14 on the sdcard using the name "/sdcard/part13backup-<time>.bin" and "/sdcard/part14backup-<time>.bin" so make sure that the sdcard is mounted to the phone.

Unpack the zip file to a directory on your PC. Open a terminal (or command window) on your PC and change the current directory to where the files are on your PC and execute this command (as always: do not type the # it only indicates the root prompt in the shell or the $ as the prompt in a non-root shell):
    Code:
    # adb push vision_wipe_efs /data/local/tmp/
    You can also use other ways to copy the file to this directory but the following instructions assume that it is there.

Get a root shell on your phone (either using adb shell or a terminal app) and then use the following command:
    Code:
    $ su
    Code:
    # stop rmt_storage
    # chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/vision_wipe_efs
    # /data/local/tmp/vision_wipe_efs
    # reboot

Method 2: Removing the efs-data using dd (BRICK RISK):

Code:
    $ su
    Code:
    # stop rmt_storage
    # reboot

After you followed Method 1 or 2 should have your GPS back working.

have fun - Guhl

Of course you are right. Be carefull to write the dd commands correctly. Later i will put a tool on my wiki that wipes the partitions without the use of dd.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
    Hello to all,

Any other suggestions?
    Hi!

Might well be that this has an influence but I never used GPS-Status and had the issue.

Have fun - Guhl

I agree with xsteven77x. I've noticed the relationship between gps status and the gps lockups and have posted about this in the past. Finally someone else is seeing the same pattern.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11852453&postcount=4

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12467006&postcount=7
    I agree with xsteven77x. I've noticed the relationship between gps status and the gps lockups and have posted about this in the past. Finally someone else is seeing the same pattern.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11852453&postcount=4

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12467006&postcount=7

I'm glad someone else noticed this also! After browsing the forum on this topic for awhile this afternoon, it seems most issues at least with cm7 and gps have to do with this app. Wonder if we should contact app dev?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App