Should we force GPU Rendering under developer options

Search This thread

jrwingate6

Aug 13, 2009
Charm City
I have a couple of questions regarding some options under "Developer Options" in the settings menu. The first questions I have is regarding GPU Rendering. Should we enable it and has anyone noticed any positive/negative effects after enabling it? The next question I have is about the option to limit background processes. I have been limiting the processes to 4 but it seems like every time I go back into this sub menu. it is always back to it's stock setting of "Standard Limit'. Does anyone know how to make it stay on 4?

rakeshchn

Aug 25, 2010
Force gpu rendering in theory makes ui more responsive and fluid, but if apps are not specifically coded for that, they can look weird with black bars and abnormal colors. I noticed this in few apps and turned it off. I am not sure why ur background process number is not sticking, but honestly u will be more happy if u leave it at default coz with 2 gb ram there is enough memory to run all ur background services and some more.

Sent from my SGH-T999

sarni84

May 17, 2011
Levittown, PA
I have a couple of questions regarding some options under "Developer Options" in the settings menu. The first questions I have is regarding GPU Rendering. Should we enable it and has anyone noticed any positive/negative effects after enabling it? The next question I have is about the option to limit background processes. I have been limiting the processes to 4 but it seems like every time I go back into this sub menu. it is always back to it's stock setting of "Standard Limit'. Does anyone know how to make it stay on 4?
Dude my background processes keep reverting back to i noticed when i went back in i know it stuck for me on complete stock but i am on free gs3 rom right now and think it might be something conflicting with the modified build.prop tweaks he may have in there. ??? Anyways that switched to limiting 4 background processes and putting window animation and transition animation to 0.5 i noticed a difference . Although i dont really think our phones need this because of the 2gb of ram now maybe the g2x did :p and as far as gpu rendering u will only notice a difference in some apps that are optimized for this. If not u will notice some artifacts on the screen thats usually your first hint to switch it off because it isnt playing nicely with that particular App. But yes especially in some games u should notice a slight difference. Again if it was the g2x having no hardware accelaration then having it u saw a big difference....our gs3's our such beasts that its minimal to our eyes

jjlean

May 9, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
Dude my background processes keep reverting back to i noticed when i went back in i know it stuck for me on complete stock but i am on free gs3 rom right now and think it might be something conflicting with the modified build.prop tweaks he may have in there. ??? Anyways that switched to limiting 4 background processes and putting window animation and transition animation to 0.5 i noticed a difference . Although i dont really think our phones need this because of the 2gb of ram now maybe the g2x did :p and as far as gpu rendering u will only notice a difference in some apps that are optimized for this. If not u will notice some artifacts on the screen thats usually your first hint to switch it off because it isnt playing nicely with that particular App. But yes especially in some games u should notice a slight difference. Again if it was the g2x having no hardware accelaration then having it u saw a big difference....our gs3's our such beasts that its minimal to our eyes

the processes reset on mine too. This happened on my amaze too. It's ICS doing it not just our phone. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app