BRIGHT Red Nexus 5 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

hotpotatos

Mar 15, 2012
Hey, I'll make here a short review about the color of my new Nexus 5 Red Edition.
My Nexus 4 was stolen so I went for the 5 but I was hesitating between the black one and the red one. I hadn't seen any review of the red version so that's why I'll make one for the one who can't decide!

First of all, Google mention that the phone is bright red. And it is! Its very very bright and it's amazing.
When I opened the box, the phone dazzled me! It's very flashy and its like neon red, eletric verilion or orange red (See an approximation of the color in attached files).
It's true that it look a bit orange. But in a certain way, the color affects you depending the light there is. In daylight it looks very bright, but in a room with no natural light it will look softer. But it's still bright. You can't get lost with this phone, we can see you from far away (a bit like the red-orange security jacket but not that extreme of course :D )

I'm totally in love with this phone, i think it looks amazing. But be aware that it doesn't look like a "normal red phone"

Regarding the case, i wanted that the back can be seen, I didn't wanted to hide the color of the phone. But I think that the transparent cases from Spigen (Ultra Hybrid) and Ringke (Fusion) were too big and would ruin the Nexus 5 design. So I found on clubcase.fr an interesting case. It's thin and frosted, not fully transparent. It looks quite good (but not so sure about the protection it offers), it soften a bit the color but the phone looks a bit more orange or pink depending the light. But it isn't that disturbing. I also bought the Diztronic Voyeur case because it seems stronger, but it will come in a few days so I don't know how it will look like on my Nexus.

I hope I could help you in your choice ;)

PS : I'll try to add pics of the phone as soon as possible :)
Edit : Here is the link to my imgur album with all the pictures with different angles : imgur. com/a/5rymn (remove the space before the dot)
I also have received my Diztronic voyeur case. It looks great and much more protective than my other case but it's a bit thicker :) (pics in the link above ;) )

Attachments

• vermillion.jpg
    vermillion.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

gfhsrt

Apr 4, 2014
you should really test it on the wireless charging function. My nexus 5 works well with the RAVPower wireless charger that i bouht on Amazon. And I am happy with it.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I went into the Telus store intending to get the red one but it looked way brighter in person and I thought it was too bright for me. Ended up getting a black one instead but now that I got a black ballistics case the red would be OK I think being that it would be mostly covered up but still somewhat visible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

hotpotatos

Mar 15, 2012
I went into the Telus store intending to get the red one but it looked way brighter in person and I thought it was too bright for me. Ended up getting a black one instead but now that I got a black ballistics case the red would be OK I think being that it would be mostly covered up but still somewhat visible.

Yes sure, with the diztronic voyeur case we have a black case but with some red reminders. its much more sober! :D

itasoulas

Nov 3, 2011
Athens
www.youtube.com
congrats on your new phone dude. It certainly looks amazing. I had a 16gb black which I sold and went for the 32gb white. I have to admit that the white is more interesting looking than the black and I can imagine how the red compares to black. Anyway, N5 no matter the color, is a delight to stare at...no question about that!

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
Yes sure, with the diztronic voyeur case we have a black case but with some red reminders. its much more sober! :D

I bought the red version purely because it was newer and so rarer and when I sell the N5 it has less competition for those out there which want red.

I also,because I will be selling it, got a red case to go with it.

Makes a change from the usual black of white.

You are though putting me off with the mention of its really red! :eek:

My red one is 3 days and about 20 miles into a journey across USA, at current speed I'll have it when the N6 is out. :rolleyes:

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I personally think it would look awesome in a black case like the one I got. If only I thought of that when I bought it.

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
I personally think it would look awesome in a black case like the one I got. If only I thought of that when I bought it.

Cases are cheap. If I hate red I can buy a black case. :)

A Red Nexus in a black case? Surely you'd not get much red showing, just at top and bottom and the red dot?

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Given XDA is the home of the golden padlock I'm flabbergasted this thread hasn't been locked given it's a review of a colour lol

Reactions: 350Rocket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, I'll make here a short review about the color of my new Nexus 5 Red Edition.
    My Nexus 4 was stolen so I went for the 5 but I was hesitating between the black one and the red one. I hadn't seen any review of the red version so that's why I'll make one for the one who can't decide!

First of all, Google mention that the phone is bright red. And it is! Its very very bright and it's amazing.
    When I opened the box, the phone dazzled me! It's very flashy and its like neon red, eletric verilion or orange red (See an approximation of the color in attached files).
    It's true that it look a bit orange. But in a certain way, the color affects you depending the light there is. In daylight it looks very bright, but in a room with no natural light it will look softer. But it's still bright. You can't get lost with this phone, we can see you from far away (a bit like the red-orange security jacket but not that extreme of course :D )

I'm totally in love with this phone, i think it looks amazing. But be aware that it doesn't look like a "normal red phone"

Regarding the case, i wanted that the back can be seen, I didn't wanted to hide the color of the phone. But I think that the transparent cases from Spigen (Ultra Hybrid) and Ringke (Fusion) were too big and would ruin the Nexus 5 design. So I found on clubcase.fr an interesting case. It's thin and frosted, not fully transparent. It looks quite good (but not so sure about the protection it offers), it soften a bit the color but the phone looks a bit more orange or pink depending the light. But it isn't that disturbing. I also bought the Diztronic Voyeur case because it seems stronger, but it will come in a few days so I don't know how it will look like on my Nexus.

I hope I could help you in your choice ;)

PS : I'll try to add pics of the phone as soon as possible :)
    Edit : Here is the link to my imgur album with all the pictures with different angles : imgur. com/a/5rymn (remove the space before the dot)
    I also have received my Diztronic voyeur case. It looks great and much more protective than my other case but it's a bit thicker :) (pics in the link above ;) )
    I'm glad you are excited about your new Nexus 5. It's a great device. However, I'm not sure a review of the color is needed.

Thread Closed

il_340x270.482645638_f6u8.jpg
    Given XDA is the home of the golden padlock I'm flabbergasted this thread hasn't been locked given it's a review of a colour lol