[Q] Broke the screen on HTC One X Telus > repair options ?

Search This thread

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I broke the Gorilla glass screen digitizer on my One X. I had it my back pocket and I sat on chair and I heard a cracking noise. It is a thin hairline crack, but it goes from one side to the other; the LCD is fine though. I am fairly good with fixing things and with a good guide I'll attempt to fix it myself.

The question I have is: should I change just the glass digitizer or should I change the screen too? From what I've seen on Youtube the digitizer is glued pretty good to the LCD and it is difficult to remove. I would attempt to remove just the digitizer but I am afraid not to scratch or damage the LCD in the process. Some people were recommending changing the digitizer and display in one piece. Price wise I am looking at around $20 for the digitizer alone or $80 for digitizer + LCD so I could definitely save on changing just the digitizer.

Has anyone tried change to change any of them and could you please share any feedback I could use ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
There have been a few threads about this. The consensus has been that only HTC can ever get the phone back to a presentable condition after trying to reinstall the glass. And I believe their cost is in the $200-$300 range. I don't think I have seen a single report of a DIY replacement that worked out well. And several "professional" fixes that looked terrible. If you want the glass seated back flush with the phone and the capacitive buttons lined up right I think your only option is HTC, and its not cheap.

Sent from my HOCKS

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

WRONG SECTION

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

And, <sigh> :rolleyes: this does belong in the Q&A section, as so eloquently stated above. That's where you will probably find the other threads about screen replacements.

Sent from my HOCKS

Last edited:

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
WRONG SECTION

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Ops, you're right. Could a MOD please move it to the Questions and Answers section?

There have been a few threads about this. The consensus has been that only HTC can ever get the phone back to a presentable condition after trying to reinstall the glass. And I believe their cost is in the $200-$300 range. I don't think I have seen a single report of a DIY replacement that worked out well. And several "professional" fixes that looked terrible. If you want the glass seated back flush with the phone and the capacitive buttons lined up right I think your only option is HTC, and its not cheap.

OK, so installing just the glass is difficult and might not look or work as good. But what if I change buy the glass and LCD in one piece and install it in one block (costs around $90 for the part)? Any bad reports for this one? Sending to HTC is out of the question, for $300 I might as well get another phone.

Also is there any difference between the international EndeavorU Tegra 3 and Evita S4 variants when it comes to LCD size compatibility? Most of the vendors on eBay don't specify if it is for the international version or Evita so I am assuming it should be the same thing. But, the Evita is 0.5 mm longer than the International version so there is a possibility the displays are different.

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
There is a difference in sizes among the various One X models. They are not interchangeable. The AT&T version costs the most, naturally (I want to say $150+). If you have an AT&T version, the international One XL (must be LTE version) screen will fit almost perfect, but the capacitive keys don't line up right. Plus with the exception of the AT&T logo its really hard to tell them all apart.

Basically, if the still screen works, keep using it as is. Otherwise getting a new phone is recommended.

Sent from my HOCKS

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
There is a difference in sizes among the various One X models. They are not interchangeable. The AT&T version costs the most, naturally (I want to say $150+). If you have an AT&T version, the international One XL (must be LTE version) screen will fit almost perfect, but the capacitive keys don't line up right. Plus with the exception of the AT&T logo its really hard to tell them all apart.

Basically, if the still screen works, keep using it as is. Otherwise getting a new phone is recommended.

Sent from my HOCKS

I have the version sold in Canada by Telus and Rogers (LTE). Basically it is the AT&T version but with a HTC logo instead of AT&T (and with an unlockable bootloader). I would prefer to get a 100% working screen with a HTC logo, not AT&T. But from you mentioned, my only option would be the LTE International One XL.

What do you mean the capacitive keys don't line up right? Aren't they built inside the whole glass-LCD assembly? If I change the whole thing, do I still need to mess with the capacitive keys ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I've only seen people replace the whole front glass assembly, which includes the buttons. The lights are in a different place, so the buttons work, but only halfway light up. I'm not sure on the Canadian version, I have the AT&T version, so that's the one I have watched for. Everything I read about this is on xda somewhere. I just don't know exactly where the threads were. Possibly in the accessories forum too.

Sent from my HOCKS

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
I think it is safer to avoid replacing just the glass, I want to go with glass and LCD one piece swap. If I replace it with this eBay item for example, I should have everything work back to original state including the capacitive buttons assuming that the display is compatible with my HTC ?

Last edited:

tylerdurdin

Sep 30, 2010
New York
At this point you have nothing to lose except 90 bucks... Buy the glass, and replace it. Take your time, and you will also learn something. Whenever people say something is hard, I use it as my drive to prove them wrong. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Tip: reassemble it, then if t dont look right, take it apart again, then reassemble it again, this kind of softens the plastic gasket that holds the screen in place, after a couple attempts it should sit in just like new.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
That's what I meant: glass, digitizer, and LCD in one unit. Its hard to tell if that came out of a LTE version. There are no many One X variants that use the same name. You can try to ask the seller. The only guarantee to get the right part and get them installed correctly is to deal with HTC. Having a screen not seated right, or the buttons not lighting up right would drive me crazy.

Personally, I would just get a new phone, depending on the crack.

Sent from my HOCKS

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
That's what I meant: glass, digitizer, and LCD in one unit. Its hard to tell if that came out of a LTE version. There are no many One X variants that use the same name. You can try to ask the seller. The only guarantee to get the right part and get them installed correctly is to deal with HTC. Having a screen not seated right, or the buttons not lighting up right would drive me crazy.

Personally, I would just get a new phone, depending on the crack.

Sent from my HOCKS

Oh I got it. So the capacitive buttons lights are NOT inside the digitizer-LCD unit, that's why the misalignment issues. So basically my best bet would be with an AT&T branded screen. I guess I'll take an AT&T logo instead of a bad capacitive buttons.

At this point you have nothing to lose except 90 bucks... Buy the glass, and replace it. Take your time, and you will also learn something. Whenever people say something is hard, I use it as my drive to prove them wrong. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Tip: reassemble it, then if t dont look right, take it apart again, then reassemble it again, this kind of softens the plastic gasket that holds the screen in place, after a couple attempts it should sit in just like new.

I will try to do it, I fixed my galaxy S2 before with guides from the internet, I'll try with the One X. I am just waiting for the seller to confirm if his part is compatible with the HTC One X Evita.

But the bottom line is > phones have grown to big for their own good. The bigger the screen size, the higher the flex. The result is easy to see.
I didn't want a 4.7" but really wanted an HD screen. I guess from now on I'll stick with a 4.3 screen, it is easier to operate with one hand and probably more flex resistant.

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Everyone wants thinner, bigger, lighter phones. At some point people need to stop and look at longevity of the device.

Sent from my HOCKS

Reactions: Corbu

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Thread moved to Q&A. Please keep all question threads in that section only. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Sent from my Galaxy Note (i717), using XDA Premium.

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
I have emailed 4 eBay sellers and none of them know if their LCD-display assembly is 100% compatible with the North American HTC One X ( AT&T, Telus, Rogers ).
Has anyone bought a display lately and can recommend a seller ?

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
I broke my screen a couple months ago on my att HOX. I ordered a new screen to attempt a repair because the lcd was not damaged. I trolled the inet researching before and after I received my screen. short of the long is replacing the screen only? IMPOSSIBLE! way too much adhesive heating slightly only ended up damaging the lcd. I ended up ordering my screen/lcd from repair universe. Meanwhile phone was out of order :) Once the later than promised repair item arrived from them. It had the HTC logo instead of the ATT one at the top. (little scared at that point to continue, but what the hell) everything fit well. my only complaint is the captivate buttons on the bottom. I was able to transfer the plastic light things for the captivate buttons, just not as perfect as I would like. However works well.
(edit) I still have the screen digitizer. Free to anyone willing to pay for the shipping from Utah, or talented enough to get the screen away from the lcd. LOL

Last edited:

PurpleFries

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
At&t one x and international one xl are identical except for software and the logo. You can get either of these screens with no misalignment.

Sent from my One XL

Corbu

Aug 4, 2012
Calgary
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915293231

this is the one I used for my HTC ONE X att branded.

I broke my screen a couple months ago on my att HOX. I ordered a new screen to attempt a repair because the lcd was not damaged. I trolled the inet researching before and after I received my screen. short of the long is replacing the screen only? IMPOSSIBLE! way too much adhesive heating slightly only ended up damaging the lcd. I ended up ordering my screen/lcd from repair universe. Meanwhile phone was out of order :) Once the later than promised repair item arrived from them. It had the HTC logo instead of the ATT one at the top. (little scared at that point to continue, but what the hell) everything fit well. my only complaint is the captivate buttons on the bottom. I was able to transfer the plastic light things for the captivate buttons, just not as perfect as I would like. However works well.
(edit) I still have the screen digitizer. Free to anyone willing to pay for the shipping from Utah, or talented enough to get the screen away from the lcd. LOL

Thanks. One question regarding these screens from eBay: Is the LCD the same quality as the original one (same colors, contrast, brightness) and is the glass Corning Gorilla Glass or ordinary non scratch resistant glass ?

At&t one x and international one xl are identical except for software and the logo. You can get either of these screens with no misalignment.

Sent from my One XL

Do you have a link with a XL screen (HTC logo) that works just like the original one?
Some people are reporting that the capacitive buttons light are not properly aligned with the One XL, only half of the buttons light up. I would get a XL screen with an HTC logo, but I think I would tolerate an AT&T logo instead of half lit capacitive buttons.

Last edited:

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
No clue on the quality or type of glass. The day after my repair, I had invisasheild installed. I like The feel of glass vs plastic but I don't really want to go though that again. The display on 1080 looks great for my movies.

Sent from my One X using xda app-developers app

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
do we need to heat the screen and back to get the screen+digitizer of the housing, i got this thing all dis-assembled...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everyone wants thinner, bigger, lighter phones. At some point people need to stop and look at longevity of the device.

Sent from my HOCKS
    Thread moved to Q&A. Please keep all question threads in that section only. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Sent from my Galaxy Note (i717), using XDA Premium.
    I have emailed 4 eBay sellers and none of them know if their LCD-display assembly is 100% compatible with the North American HTC One X ( AT&T, Telus, Rogers ).
    Has anyone bought a display lately and can recommend a seller ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915293231

this is the one I used for my HTC ONE X att branded.

Sent from my One XL