[Q] No Service. Data working but no Call/Text.

Search This thread

kokozaurs

Dec 21, 2013
Hello!

I have m919 T-Mobile Galaxy s4 but I'm with other carrier (Wind Canada). I rooted the phone about a month ago, I believe, using THIS guide.

I spent yesterday in environment where I didn't had coverage for most of the day, but i haven't gotten it back yet. Sounds really weird as it might be not connected to the fact at all. I have 4G connection active, which means that I have internet, but it keeps 'searching' for service and I can't Call/Text anyone, neither I can receive calls or texts. Instead of the bar at the top showing how good coverage i have it just shows a crossed out circle icon.

I've tried reboots, keeping my phone off for 30mins without battery, taking out sim and putting it back in, changing network modes and resetting APN (all from settings panel).

Have anyone experienced something like that and how do I fix it? It was working perfectly for last couple of months and the phone didn't get any damage yesterday neither.

P.S Did the the regular factory reset (don't know if it affects rooting) but it didn't change anything. =

Last edited:

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
Haven't solved it, that was the whole point of my post! :(

Never had this happen to me. Data works off your signal, something is wickedly wrong. I'd flash the modem again if you are on 4.2.2 bootloader (doesn't matter which rom or android version). If that fails, go intonrecovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, and wipe data. If that fails, backup your data and Odin flash back to 100% stock. If that fails, more than likely your /efs folder was corrupted.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: kokozaurs

kokozaurs

Dec 21, 2013
Never had this happen to me. Data works off your signal, something is wickedly wrong. I'd flash the modem again if you are on 4.2.2 bootloader (doesn't matter which rom or android version). If that fails, go intonrecovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, and wipe data. If that fails, backup your data and Odin flash back to 100% stock. If that fails, more than likely your /efs folder was corrupted.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I think I'm gonna flash it back to 100% stock, but the problem is that I'm on mac and I don't know how to flash it back. Is there any guide on how to do it from MAC platform?

Thanks!!

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
Reactions: kokozaurs

kokozaurs

Dec 21, 2013

Ok, so I got heimdall, and got the recovery.img from the other topic. I followed the steps that was provided in the second link, but nothing much changed, it successfully uploaded the recovery.img, then i did recovery boot with power button + home button + volume up, it did some things with a pirate android guy in the back and thats it, booted up. Not sure if I have everything back to stock or not - either way, the issue with the network hasn't been resolved! :(

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
Haven't solved it, that was the whole point of my post! :(

Tried this?

go to settings/more networks/Mobile networks/Network operators/Search now......

It might take a minute or two, then show you some networks it finds. Select your provider and it should list some options for you.

need to see Mobile data with a check, Data roaming checked, network mode should be LTE/GSM/WCDMA(auto connect)

If you KNOW what your APN (access Point Name) is you can check if it's correctly there.
It usually is downloaded with the search for network so just try with whatever is ther for now.

Back all the way out, and power off. Take out the battery, wait like 30 seconds, replace the battery and power on again.

See if you get service and can dial out.

Aloha and Good Luck!

kokozaurs

Dec 21, 2013
Tried this?

go to settings/more networks/Mobile networks/Network operators/Search now......

It might take a minute or two, then show you some networks it finds. Select your provider and it should list some options for you.

need to see Mobile data with a check, Data roaming checked, network mode should be LTE/GSM/WCDMA(auto connect)

If you KNOW what your APN (access Point Name) is you can check if it's correctly there.
It usually is downloaded with the search for network so just try with whatever is ther for now.

Back all the way out, and power off. Take out the battery, wait like 30 seconds, replace the battery and power on again.

See if you get service and can dial out.

Aloha and Good Luck!

yep, one of first routines i tried. No difference :(

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
yep, one of first routines i tried. No difference :(

Ok, now you might want to call your provider and ask them to remove you from their network and reinsert you again. That procedure will often re-enable normal operation of cellular connectivity.
They will ask you to power down and remove your battery for about a minute, then power up again.

Aloha and Good Luck!

ph3r0c1ty

Feb 22, 2008
Tried it all

Well im in the same boat here.
I checked the IMEI is correct
i did a full stock MK5 install with Odin without sim inserted and with
*#2263# helps it recognizes the network on the search list (WIND)
but it wont connect (failed to connect try again)
sometimes it connects to 4G and i can use the web
but no calls or sms
i noticed i dont have LTE enabled which ill do tomorrow
i even opened my phone to check that no cables came off as it was in service for a broken screen
tried a different sim from koodo wich also acts weird it connects to data but wont make phone calls or sms

the problems began after its been UNLOCKED (sim free)

any suggestions? im willing to try anything
its been in service 4 times and still they cant figure it out...

thanks!

kokozaurs

Dec 21, 2013
Well im in the same boat here.
I checked the IMEI is correct
i did a full stock MK5 install with Odin without sim inserted and with
*#2263# helps it recognizes the network on the search list (WIND)
but it wont connect (failed to connect try again)
sometimes it connects to 4G and i can use the web
but no calls or sms
i noticed i dont have LTE enabled which ill do tomorrow
i even opened my phone to check that no cables came off as it was in service for a broken screen
tried a different sim from koodo wich also acts weird it connects to data but wont make phone calls or sms

the problems began after its been UNLOCKED (sim free)

any suggestions? im willing to try anything
its been in service 4 times and still they cant figure it out...

thanks!

Ok I found the solution. Apparently I have bought a stolen phone. Check the imei if it hasn't been blacklisted!

Top Liked Posts