[MOD][APK+SCRIPT+ZIP] Enable Init.d for Any Phones w/o Need of Custom Kernels!!!

Search This thread

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
** NOT Android 4.3 compatible!!! Term-init is recommended for now!!!

**Note...this is only for those who do not have init.d support...if you are using custom kernels (cyanogen mod original kernel etc.) that already supports init.d, you shouldn't run this...:)...but if you accidentally ran this, it is ok...won't mess up anything...:D

2OgMJ.png
v1.0
init.d support through an app!!!​

What is init.d:
the_scotsman (Moderator Liaison Admin / Moderator Committee / XDA News Writer) said:
Init.d plays an important role in the world of Android development and customization It allows users to install scripts and mods to be run at boot—everything from battery tweaks to performance tweaks. It essentially opens the door to a world of mods only possible through the Init.d process, which in turn is usually only available on custom kernels.

But how? :confused:
Concept:
I have recently learnt some linux scripting and was searching for a method to enable init.d scripts support for my phone which has a stock kernel. Inspired by this thread by iridaki, I finally managed to get init.d working in my phone!!! :D However, I thought of the other users who still do not have a proper custom recovery...how are they gonna flash zip packages? And if it has to be done manually, it requires a lot of typing, changing file permissions etc....a very tedious process...

Therefore, I've decided to come up with a script to automate this process!!! *Drum rolls*...lol

BUT now, with the aid of Androguide.fr (creator of Pimp My ROM), we managed to integrate the script into an app to save the hassle of typing commands in terminal emulator! With just a button click, the commands will be carried out! With just a button click, the app will verify whether is there init.d support or not! :D

Do I have init.d support?:
Well, here is a way to test:
1. Download the file from here: View attachment 1612958
2. Extract the file, you will get a file named 00test. DO NOT flash!
3. Paste it into /etc/init.d. If there is no init.d folder, most probably you DO NOT have init.d support. However, if you still wanna try, just create the folder named "init.d"
4. Change the permissions of the init.d folder and 00test into rwxrwxrwx.
5. Reboot.
6. If you see a file named Test.log in /data, you have init.d support. If not, you will have to run Uni-init, Term-init or Zip-init. ;)

Features:
- Utilises install-recovery.sh (if your kernel supports that, but of course, but most do...:)) to enable init.d scripts (busybox run-parts required)
- Will add lines in install-recovery.sh if it already exists (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't
- Creates the init.d folder with correct permissions
- Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing (shows time of execution), another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
- Adds sysinit in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists
- Deletes duplicate files and lines to ensure the least of errors

Requirements:
- a rooted phone of course...:p

- busybox with required applets (especially run-parts), if not sure what is this, just install this by Stericson: Link and please reboot after installing before running this script...:)...use "normal install" method, don't use "smart install"...

Instructions:
1. Download the apk.
2. Install the apk like any normal app.
3. Launch the app.
4. The rest are pretty self-explanatory...;)
5. You can uninstall the app after that...

Screenshots:
83qRd.png
rfpyz.png

**To check whether init.d is really working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have a WORKING init.d support! :)

Download:
If you have already read all the instructions and understand them, then click here to download:

Credits:
Thanks to:
Androguide.fr for the android app base! :D

Donators (big thank you! :)):
@bigknowz

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used the app and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details if possible...:)

Please don't mirror / modify my work, ask for permissions first...;)

Last edited:

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
**UPDATE: v3 is out now! Android 4.3 compatible!

**Term-init is also used in Droid Manager!!!**

**Featured in the XDA News Portal: Init.d Support for Any Rooted Phone (Thanks to the_scotsman!)

Hi guys...as stated in the title above, I have created a script to be ran in terminal emulator so that it will enable the support of init.d scripts!!! :D

**Note...this is only for those who do not have init.d support...if you are using custom kernels (cyanogen mod original kernel etc.) that already supports init.d, you shouldn't run this...:)...but if you accidentally ran this, it is ok...won't mess up anything...:D

WdW7A.png

init.d support through terminal emulator!!!​

What is init.d:
the_scotsman (Moderator Liaison Admin / Moderator Committee / XDA News Writer) said:
Init.d plays an important role in the world of Android development and customization It allows users to install scripts and mods to be run at boot—everything from battery tweaks to performance tweaks. It essentially opens the door to a world of mods only possible through the Init.d process, which in turn is usually only available on custom kernels.

Concept:
I have recently learnt some linux scripting and was searching for a method to enable init.d scripts support for my phone which has a stock kernel. Inspired by this thread by iridaki, I finally managed to get init.d working in my phone!!! :D However, I thought of the other users who still do not have a proper custom recovery...how are they gonna flash zip packages? And if it has to be done manually, it requires a lot of typing, changing file permissions etc....a very tedious process...

Therefore, I've decided to come up with a script to automate this process!!! *Drum rolls*...lol

1. Download the file from here: View attachment test_initd.zip
3. Paste it into /etc/init.d. If there is no init.d folder, most probably you DO NOT have init.d support. However, if you still wanna try, just create the folder named "init.d"
5. Reboot.
6. If you see a file named Test.log in /data, you have init.d support. If not, you will have to run Uni-init, Term-init or Zip-init. ;)

Features:
- Auto checks for required files [v2]
- Utilises install-recovery.sh (if your kernel supports that, but of course, but most do...:)) to enable init.d scripts (busybox run-parts required)
- Will move install-recovery.sh to install-recovery-2.sh if it already exists and call it from the main install-recovery.sh (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't [v3]
- If Superuser is using install-recovery.sh, will use install-recovery-2.sh instead [v3]
- Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing (shows time of execution [v2]), another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
- Adds sysinit in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists. This is for utilising a similar method to enabling init.d in AOSP ROMs

Requirements:

- busybox with required applets (especially run-parts), if not sure what is this, just install this by Stericson: Link and please reboot after installing before running this script...:)...use "normal install" method, don't use "smart install"...

- terminal emulator such as this: Link

Instructions:
1. Download the file.
2. Place it in the root of your sdcard directory.
3. Launch terminal emulator.
4. Type: su
5. Grant SuperUser access if prompted
6. Type: sh /sdcard/term-init.sh
7. The script will run and follow the instructions! :D As simple as that...

**To check whether init.d is working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have init.d support! :)

Download:
If you have already read all the instructions and understand them, then click here to download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used my script and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details and screenshots if possible...:)

Source code & changelog: https://github.com/Ryuinferno/Term-init

Last edited:

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io

As Term-init does not work for certain people, I have came up with a CWM flashable zip:

kKjNl.png

init.d support through CWM!!!

What is init.d:

1. Download the file from here: test_initd.zip
5. Reboot.

Features:
- Will add lines in install-recovery.sh if it already exists (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't
- Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing, another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions

Requirements:

- a working CWM custom recovery

Instructions:
1. Download the file.
2. Flash zip-init.zip thorough CWM.
3. Reboot and you are done! :D

**If you get a status 0 error in CWM, please replace the update-binary in zip-init.zip with a working update-binary of your phone (just extract it from any CWM zip meant for your phone)...:)

**To check whether init.d is working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have init.d support! :)

Download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used my mod and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details and screenshots if possible...:)

Last edited:

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting:
**CWM might warn something about disable recovery flash when using this mod, it is just a false positive, please DO NOT select yes or else it won't work anymore**

If you have already applied the script but there is no /data/Test.log, please refer the steps below:
1. Check whether have you installed busybox properly, especially run-parts. REBOOT after installing, then only apply this script.
2. If you are using the busybox installer by Stericson, please use "normal installation method", NOT "smart installation method".
3. Check whether are these files present with the correct permissions (please change if the permissions are wrong):
- /system/bin/sysint (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: shell (2000)]
- /system/etc/init.d (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
- /system/etc/init.d/00test (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
-/system/etc/init.d/08setperm (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
- /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
- /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)] (may or may not be present)
4. Check whether you have run-parts installed. Go to /system/xbin, you should be able to find a fine named "run-parts"
5. Check whether you have these lines in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (if not, please add them in manually (using Root Explorer or keep the EOL in Unix format...Google about it), remember to leave an EMPTY line at the end of the file)
Code:
 # init.d support
busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
6. If all the above are still not helping, please download this: run-parts.zip and extract it (DO NOT flash it). Place the file named "run-parts" in /system/xbin. Change permissions to rwxrwxrwx, owner to root (o) and group to shell (2000). Reboot and check /data again.
7. Still fails? Check your /init.rc for any lines containing "install-recovery"...if there are none, this method won't work...so use the Script Manager method.
8. Use this as a last resort: Download Script Manager from Play Store: Link. Then navigate to /etc/install-recovery.sh, select it and run as root and at boot (select the skull and gear icon).
9. If all the above are not working, and the "install-recovery" line is present, then please paste the contents of your /etc/install-recovery.sh and /etc/install-recovery-2.sh if present somewhere (like http://pastebin.com and after applying the mod of course) here for me to debug. Take a screenshot of the output after running Term-init and post here, along with your ROM version, android version and name of device.

Last edited:

ranjitkhera

Mar 21, 2012
sultanpur
Xiaomi Black Shark 4
ace 5830i stock rom

Hi guys...as stated in the title above, I have created a script to be ran in terminal emulator so that it will enable the support of init.d scripts!!! :D

Term-init --> init.d support through terminal emulator!!!

Concept:

Features:
- Utilises install-recovery.sh to enable init.d scripts (busybox run-parts required)
- Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing, another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
- Adds sysint in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists

Requirements:

- busybox with required applets (especially run-parts), if not sure what is this, just install this by Stericson: BusyBox

- terminal emulator such as this

Instructions:
1. Download the file.

Example:
emadu6ys.jpg

Download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)

Hit the thanks button if you liked my work...it gives me a boost! :D

its not working:rolleyes:

slurpdroid

Aug 19, 2011
Banda Aceh
This mod work on MIUI UK official for desire s :D
Tested with v6 supercharger by zep
Thanks a lot

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

hexer7568

Sep 2, 2012
Hi ,

I use an Motoluxe xt615 , i Fllow your guide step by step . But nothing.

The Phone Restarts an in /data is no Test.log

Busybox install Terminal install . Terminal say all is ok but the test.log fails. After Reboot i cant find it.

Sorry for my bad Englisch

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
Hi ,

I use an Motoluxe xt615 , i Fllow your guide step by step . But nothing.

The Phone Restarts an in /data is no Test.log

Busybox install Terminal install . Terminal say all is ok but the test.log fails. After Reboot i cant find it.

Sorry for my bad Englisch

Ok...let me interpret...you installed busybox by using the link I gave, then you ran this in terminal emulator right? Can you please give me a screenshot of your terminal emulator running this script? Thanks...:)

Reactions: Nikhil_android

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io

Ok...by looking at your first few lines...I saw that su permissions for terminal emulator are not granted properly...and my script seems to be only running in the surface (only shows the text)...did you reboot after installing busybox? And by the way, please check your /system/etc...is there a init.d folder and a file named "install-recovery.sh"? And what andriod version are you using? :)

P.s. A working example should be like my screenshot on the first page...the first few lines in your screenshot should not appear...

hexer7568

Sep 2, 2012
Ok...by looking at your first few lines...I saw that su permissions for terminal emulator are not granted properly...and my script seems to be only running in the surface (only shows the text)...did you reboot after installing busybox? And by the way, please check your /system/etc...is there a init.d folder and a file named "install-recovery.sh"? And what andriod version are you using? :)

P.s. A working example should be like my screenshot on the first page...the first few lines in your screenshot should not appear...

1 Reboot after busybox install no

2, no
3. no

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
That's why...the script did not have the correct permissions to run...did you grant terminal emulator su access when you type "su"? Try installing busybox again, reboot, run the script and reboot again...:)

hexer7568

Sep 2, 2012
That's why...the script did not have the correct permissions to run...did you grant terminal emulator su access when you type "su"? Try installing busybox again, reboot, run the script and reboot again...:)

When i type su , the first massage is "log_write: cannot open Device" , then after this massage i have su

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2OgMJ.png
    v1.0
    init.d support through an app!!!​

What is init.d:

Concept:

BUT now, with the aid of Androguide.fr (creator of Pimp My ROM), we managed to integrate the script into an app to save the hassle of typing commands in terminal emulator! With just a button click, the commands will be carried out! With just a button click, the app will verify whether is there init.d support or not! :D

1. Download the file from here: View attachment 1612958
    5. Reboot.

Features:
    - Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing (shows time of execution), another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions

Requirements:

Instructions:
    1. Download the apk.
    2. Install the apk like any normal app.
    3. Launch the app.
    4. The rest are pretty self-explanatory...;)
    5. You can uninstall the app after that...

Screenshots:
    83qRd.png
    rfpyz.png

**To check whether init.d is really working or not, reboot your phone and navigate to /data...you should find a Test.log in there...If it is present, congrats, you have a WORKING init.d support! :)

Download:

Credits:
    Thanks to:
    Androguide.fr for the android app base! :D

Donators (big thank you! :)):
    @bigknowz

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used the app and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details if possible...:)

**UPDATE: v3 is out now! Android 4.3 compatible!

**Term-init is also used in Droid Manager!!!**

**Featured in the XDA News Portal: Init.d Support for Any Rooted Phone (Thanks to the_scotsman!)

WdW7A.png

init.d support through terminal emulator!!!​

What is init.d:

Concept:

1. Download the file from here: View attachment test_initd.zip
    5. Reboot.

Features:
    - Auto checks for required files [v2]
    - Will move install-recovery.sh to install-recovery-2.sh if it already exists and call it from the main install-recovery.sh (will not replace install-recovery.sh because certain apps such as Link2SD requires that to work), creates it if it doesn't [v3]
    - If Superuser is using install-recovery.sh, will use install-recovery-2.sh instead [v3]
    - Adds 2 init.d scripts: one for testing (shows time of execution [v2]), another to ensure that the scripts in init.d folder always have the correct permissions
    - Adds sysinit in /system/bin, will add the required lines if it already exists. This is for utilising a similar method to enabling init.d in AOSP ROMs

Requirements:

- terminal emulator such as this: Link

Instructions:
    1. Download the file.

Download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used my script and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details and screenshots if possible...:)

Source code & changelog: https://github.com/Ryuinferno/Term-init

As Term-init does not work for certain people, I have came up with a CWM flashable zip:

kKjNl.png

init.d support through CWM!!!

What is init.d:

1. Download the file from here: test_initd.zip
    5. Reboot.

Features:

Requirements:

- a working CWM custom recovery

Instructions:
    1. Download the file.
    2. Flash zip-init.zip thorough CWM.
    3. Reboot and you are done! :D

**If you get a status 0 error in CWM, please replace the update-binary in zip-init.zip with a working update-binary of your phone (just extract it from any CWM zip meant for your phone)...:)

Download:

Feel free to posts questions below...I will try my best to help...:)...By the way, those who used my mod and found that it works, please leave a post here, stating you phone model, android version and ROM...thanks! :) but don't just leave comnents saying 'it doesn't work' etc...give more details and screenshots if possible...:)

Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting:
    **CWM might warn something about disable recovery flash when using this mod, it is just a false positive, please DO NOT select yes or else it won't work anymore**

If you have already applied the script but there is no /data/Test.log, please refer the steps below:
    1. Check whether have you installed busybox properly, especially run-parts. REBOOT after installing, then only apply this script.
    2. If you are using the busybox installer by Stericson, please use "normal installation method", NOT "smart installation method".
    3. Check whether are these files present with the correct permissions (please change if the permissions are wrong):
    - /system/bin/sysint (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: shell (2000)]
    - /system/etc/init.d (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    - /system/etc/init.d/00test (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    -/system/etc/init.d/08setperm (rwxrwxrwx) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    - /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)]
    - /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh (rwxr-xr-x) [owner: root (0), group: root (0)] (may or may not be present)
    4. Check whether you have run-parts installed. Go to /system/xbin, you should be able to find a fine named "run-parts"
    5. Check whether you have these lines in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (if not, please add them in manually (using Root Explorer or keep the EOL in Unix format...Google about it), remember to leave an EMPTY line at the end of the file)
    Code:
     # init.d support
    busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
    6. If all the above are still not helping, please download this: run-parts.zip and extract it (DO NOT flash it). Place the file named "run-parts" in /system/xbin. Change permissions to rwxrwxrwx, owner to root (o) and group to shell (2000). Reboot and check /data again.
    7. Still fails? Check your /init.rc for any lines containing "install-recovery"...if there are none, this method won't work...so use the Script Manager method.
    8. Use this as a last resort: Download Script Manager from Play Store: Link. Then navigate to /etc/install-recovery.sh, select it and run as root and at boot (select the skull and gear icon).
    9. If all the above are not working, and the "install-recovery" line is present, then please paste the contents of your /etc/install-recovery.sh and /etc/install-recovery-2.sh if present somewhere (like http://pastebin.com and after applying the mod of course) here for me to debug. Take a screenshot of the output after running Term-init and post here, along with your ROM version, android version and name of device.
    @Ryuinferno Hey bro!
    While working on Pimp my Rom's bew beta, I came up with a way to grant init.d support to any device, which happens all on the app side, no need for install-recovery.sh (or any other file) modifications.

The concept is very simple but it's what makes it powerful and truly universal :

Using Android's BroadcastReceivers mechanism, the app detects whenever the device is rebooted, and when it does, after the boot is completed, it will execute all the scripts inside /system/etc/init.d automatically.
    I also refined the kernel init.d support testing, it now requires a reboot but will really detect if the user's kernel has init.d support by creating a simple init.d script that creates a file on the sdcard, and after the reboot, the app will check if the file has indeed been generated, if it does, the kernel has init.d support so the app is useless, otherwise, it doesn't.

Finally, I added options to manage the init.d scripts (edit/delete/run), and will probably soon add an option to select your "init.d" folder (i.e make it so that /sdcard/newinitd is considered as /system/etc/init.d and the app will execute all the scripts in it instead of in the real init.d folder).

The standalone app is fully open-source, so if you want to fork it/add it here/modify it to your needs, go ahead, it's yours : http://github.com/Androguide/Universal-init.d
    I attached a signed apk to this post.

Here are a few screenshots :

framed-initd1.jpg
    framed-initd2.jpg
    framed_initd3.jpg
    framed-initd4.jpg
    framed-initd5.jpg
    framed-initd6.jpg

Also, I wanted to ask you some help ;
    I could definitely use your bash knowledge for a new project I started, which allows to flash zips without using a recovery, if you got time, please go take a look and tell me if you see any mistake or better bash translations of updater-script commands. (thread here)

-