[Q] Calibration fixes for S-Pen on 4.4.2 KitKat?

Search This thread

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Hi all,

Since my Note 8 has been upgraded to 4.4.2, I've noticed the S-Pen's accuracy is now off by a few millimeters. This makes taking neat notes very difficult, and note-taking is my primary purpose for this tablet.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the calibration of the S-Pen? My tablet is rooted so I can try any number of solutions.

Thanks.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Hi all,

Since my Note 8 has been upgraded to 4.4.2, I've noticed the S-Pen's accuracy is now off by a few millimeters. This makes taking neat notes very difficult, and note-taking is my primary purpose for this tablet.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the calibration of the S-Pen? My tablet is rooted so I can try any number of solutions.

Thanks.

Just search... I have posted one too many times on calibrating, so finding it should be easy.

mstrswrd06

May 1, 2014
Hi all,

Thanks.

A few things you can try.

It'll sound silly, but hit the tip of the pen with some force against a hard surface; desk, table, etc. For some reason, that can realign the tip back into place (or out of place, so play with it a little bit).

Another thing is to run the S Pen over each edge multiple times to auto-calibrate it. This resets the boundaries of the screen and can help out a little bit.

One thing I haven't tried that I read about is actually adjusting the sensitivity of the S Pen. Underneath the click button there should be a small adjustment knob that you can play with. Use a thin razor to get underneath the button and pop it off, just being careful not to break it. If I were you I'd look up a little more about this trick.

I had success with the first two methods, so I never tried taking the button off.

Good luck.

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
When I updated I was tempted to pop the button and adjust but I've found after using my tablet for a few hours it went away on it's own. I'm now 2 to 3 days after updating and my S-Pen is back to normal; it was a good nib's worth off to the right when I first updated.

Note well that I use my S-Pen enough that battery powered styli would often need their batteries rotated daily; some folk barely use their S-Pens. Not having to change batteries (rather than charge my tablet) is one of the reasons I love the S-Pen ;).

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
When I updated I was tempted to pop the button and adjust but I've found after using my tablet for a few hours it went away on it's own. I'm now 2 to 3 days after updating and my S-Pen is back to normal; it was a good nib's worth off to the right when I first updated.

Note well that I use my S-Pen enough that battery powered styli would often need their batteries rotated daily; some folk barely use their S-Pens. Not having to change batteries (rather than charge my tablet) is one of the reasons I love the S-Pen ;).

So far...

I've found an old post from Gooberdude that suggests drawing in the corners and on the borders. I've spent an hour this morning drawing in the corners and borders, but it doesn't seem to help (unless I'm doing it wrong, or maybe not enough strokes?)

I've found references to an S-Pen app that no longer works on the Note 8 since 4.2.2 because Samsung removed some files for swapping between left and right hand in the OS. That's a no go right there.

I've got mstrswrd06's suggestion to bang the S-Pen against something hard. I've also got a brand new Note Pro 12.2, and the S-Pen from both the Note 8 and the Note 12.2 is accurate on that device's screen. When I bring both the S-Pens over to the Note 8, both are inaccurate about the same amount. Not likely that my Note 8 pen is the culprit.

Spidey, since you got the detection of your S-Pen to somehow become accurate, maybe you can elaborate some more on what you have done?

Any help is appreciated. I use this device to write notes during meetings, and with the small screen, precision is a must because I have to write very small.

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
Spidey, since you got the detection of your S-Pen to somehow become accurate, maybe you can elaborate some more on what you have done?

Using it normally. Which for me is inputing text via Google Keyboard's "Flow" (swype) input method with the S-Pen and cursive handwriting in MyStylus Beta (or printing where necessary). Using the S-Pen for most interactions with the device (buttons, app UI, selecting text and moving the cursor, etc), and inserting/removing the pen between needs. Watching videos and using the S-Pen to preview / sync. Surfing the web, G+, etc, etc. After about two hours of life it seemed OK, I think text input helped a fair bit. By a day or two after, perfectly normal here.

That's a large part of why I went with this device rather than a Nexus 7 2013 or G Pad GPE. I find the pen desirable for things like the vertical '...' dot menus, handwriting recognition, and doodling.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
Using it normally. Which for me is inputing text via Google Keyboard's "Flow" (swype) input method with the S-Pen and cursive handwriting in MyStylus Beta (or printing where necessary). Using the S-Pen for most interactions with the device (buttons, app UI, selecting text and moving the cursor, etc), and inserting/removing the pen between needs. Watching videos and using the S-Pen to preview / sync. Surfing the web, G+, etc, etc. After about two hours of life it seemed OK, I think text input helped a fair bit. By a day or two after, perfectly normal here.

That's a large part of why I went with this device rather than a Nexus 7 2013 or G Pad GPE. I find the pen desirable for things like the vertical '...' dot menus, handwriting recognition, and doodling.

Thanks Spidey. I'm going to spend the weekend just scribbling with the tablet. It's been brutal. I even tried a security wipe from the tablet, which didn't help, and also a forced update/initialization through Kies, which also didn't help.

Hopefully whatever triggered the fix for you will work for me.

Thanks again!

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
Good luck shardsx, hope it sorts out. I was afraid when mine suddenly had the offset after updating...thankful it went away.

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
Assuming you are rooted? If so, try flashing civato's new kernel. It has integrated fix for S-Pen alignment.

I can confirm that the kernel just released by Civ fixes the inaccuracies in the S-pen. I am running it and am having no issues now. There was an issue of not being able to sync my Google account and could not get on the play store but after a data factor wipe it is all good now. This may have been none related to the kernel, but I figured that I would at least mention it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium HD app

xdaah80

May 28, 2010
Mine is off too

Same problem here ... since the upgrade the stylus is off by a few millimeters ... drawing in corners didn't solve the problem ...

Last edited:

tooandrew

So far...

I've found an old post from Gooberdude that suggests drawing in the corners and on the borders. I've spent an hour this morning drawing in the corners and borders, but it doesn't seem to help (unless I'm doing it wrong, or maybe not enough strokes?)

I've found references to an S-Pen app that no longer works on the Note 8 since 4.2.2 because Samsung removed some files for swapping between left and right hand in the OS. That's a no go right there.

I've got mstrswrd06's suggestion to bang the S-Pen against something hard. I've also got a brand new Note Pro 12.2, and the S-Pen from both the Note 8 and the Note 12.2 is accurate on that device's screen. When I bring both the S-Pens over to the Note 8, both are inaccurate about the same amount. Not likely that my Note 8 pen is the culprit.

Any help is appreciated. I use this device to write notes during meetings, and with the small screen, precision is a must because I have to write very small.

i'd say just upgrade to civato's custom rom and spherekat kernel - 100 percent accurate for me. my pen isnt broken or anything but it was waaayyy off using stock, or even civato's flexnote without spherekat (most of the offset is because of code in the kernel, apparently).

take the plunge - you're already rooted, it's time to get on the rom train. (CHOO CHOO)

Last edited:

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
i'd say just upgrade to civato's custom rom and spherekat kernel - 100 percent accurate for me. my pen isnt broken or anything but it was waaayyy off using stock, or even civato's flexnote without spherekat (most of the offset is because of code in the kernel, apparently).

take the plunge - you're already rooted, it's time to get on the rom train. (CHOO CHOO)
Agreed. The only known fix for 4.4.2 s-pen at the moment is to use Civ's latest rom and kernel. You actually need both installed to have 100% accurate s-pen, since some of the fixes are in the kernel and the other fixes are in the rom framework.

rtiangha

Jan 3, 2012
I actually managed to get my S-Pen recalibrated. I opened up S-Note and scribbled all around the edges until there was a solid 0.5 cm border. But the trick is that I did it all in a single stroke (or in other words, I never lifted the pen until I had filled in all the edges, which took a long while). After that, the dot now appears right under the pen. And it stays across applications. It worked for me; maybe it'll work for you.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

tooandrew

I actually managed to get my S-Pen recalibrated. I opened up S-Note and scribbled all around the edges until there was a solid 0.5 cm border. But the trick is that I did it all in a single stroke (or in other words, I never lifted the pen until I had filled in all the edges, which took a long while). After that, the dot now appears right under the pen. And it stays across applications. It worked for me; maybe it'll work for you.

ive not heard of such a thing before, but i'm glad you managed to fix it. there are still reasons to upgrade to civato's rom and kernel despite this, but if you're happy with your user experience, that's all that matters.

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
I've considered going down the path of custom ROM. I'm definitely not opposed to this approach since I've got an old Asus Transformer tablet that's using CM10.2 (waiting for 11 stable).

What I did to resolve my inaccurate S-Pen issues was to Odin flash 4.1.2 back on. Now, I've read that I might be prevented from flashing back to 4.4.2 Kit Kat, but I don't know why that would be the case since the bootloader is still 4.4.2 after the downgrade. I've also read that people can't charge the tablet after a downgrade while it's off? I haven't actually turned off my tablet to charge, but I guess that would be a scary scenario if I ever ran completely out of power and can't charge the device.

I'll do more digging around over the next few days. The power-off charge issue is the biggest concern, so I'll drain my battery down to 50%, turn it off, and let it charge overnight to see what happens. Worst case scenario is I'll Odin back to 4.4.2 and custom ROM.

rtiangha

Jan 3, 2012
ive not heard of such a thing before, but i'm glad you managed to fix it. there are still reasons to upgrade to civato's rom and kernel despite this, but if you're happy with your user experience, that's all that matters.

It was a variant of this method:

http://richardjang.typepad.com/techstuffs/2012/03/how-to-calibrate-the-galaxy-note-s-pen.html

I had to go with Method 1 because I've got the wifi model and so don't have access to a dialer.

tooandrew

I've considered going down the path of custom ROM. I'm definitely not opposed to this approach since I've got an old Asus Transformer tablet that's using CM10.2 (waiting for 11 stable).

What I did to resolve my inaccurate S-Pen issues was to Odin flash 4.1.2 back on. Now, I've read that I might be prevented from flashing back to 4.4.2 Kit Kat, but I don't know why that would be the case since the bootloader is still 4.4.2 after the downgrade. I've also read that people can't charge the tablet after a downgrade while it's off? I haven't actually turned off my tablet to charge, but I guess that would be a scary scenario if I ever ran completely out of power and can't charge the device.

I'll do more digging around over the next few days. The power-off charge issue is the biggest concern, so I'll drain my battery down to 50%, turn it off, and let it charge overnight to see what happens. Worst case scenario is I'll Odin back to 4.4.2 and custom ROM.

i was under the impression that once a knox bootloader was installed, trying to downgrade to a touchwiz-based rom of an earlier version would brick it. you just odin'd the original 4.1.2?

shardsx

Apr 23, 2013
i was under the impression that once a knox bootloader was installed, trying to downgrade to a touchwiz-based rom of an earlier version would brick it. you just odin'd the original 4.1.2?

I also read that in the "about KNOX" thread, but I've also read other people have flashed back to 4.1.2 (and experienced the power-off charging problem that I talked about above).

I took the plunge and yeah, just Odin'd the original 4.1.2 back on. I used the Canadian 4.1.2 wifi image from Sammobile.com. The bootloader stays at 4.4.2 (so I have the KNOX Warranty flag tripped), but everything seems to be working well. I turned off the tablet last night and let it charge to test the claims that there were issues, and there was no problems doing that.

So far, I haven't noticed anything game breaking about going back to 4.1.2. I think maybe I experienced a sleep of death? However, that's hardly unusual.

SlimJimmyZ

Jun 18, 2014
I had the same offset issues, so I went zero to sixty from no rooting experience at all to flashing Civato's latest Rom. I use the S pen extensively for handwriting recognition and sketching so a slight offset made the tablet practically unusable. Offset issue is perfectly fixed now.

It took a bit of research to learn how to root and flash but very worth it.

Reactions: sefrcoko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use an app that hides the bars. I used SketchBook in full screen mode. Works fine. Although I think it just makes it easier to see where you're drawing. You might not even need the program; maybe all you need is to move the stylus to the extremes of the screen. I really wish someone out there who knows the definitive way to calibrate these things would pipe up and talk about how the software calibrates itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    This is the secret code of Samsung to get to Factory Mode, using Calculator : (+30012012732+
    Then : *#0*# in Calculator
    You should get to Factory Mode where you can test different functions, especially Wacom Test, If it fails the test, your Lcd is defective ( S Pen cable is from LCD ), this one is an example.
    The test won't do any calibration, just Pass or Fail.
    66parsdl44fs71k6g.jpg
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but such apps require root. Which my Note doesn't have.

LOL, it's a lot of maybes.
    IMHO, it's a digital world - either there is a specific procedure to calibrate, or there isn't.
    Trying all sorts of things without specific knowledge what to do - waste of time, it's like looking for a black cat in a dark room.
    I think that smart thing to do here is to learn this lesson and stay away from Samsung in the future.
    Yes Samsung messed up but it's not like we don't have a solution :). I flashed civato's rom and kernel and never looked back.
    I had the same offset issues, so I went zero to sixty from no rooting experience at all to flashing Civato's latest Rom. I use the S pen extensively for handwriting recognition and sketching so a slight offset made the tablet practically unusable. Offset issue is perfectly fixed now.

It took a bit of research to learn how to root and flash but very worth it.

I can confirm that this method works perfectly, but ONLY if you do it inside S-Note. I'd been trying to re-calibrate it by writing on the edges for weeks and it didn't do anything, but 5 seconds in S-Note fixed it perfectly.

I think the reason it sucks so bad is that after a fresh install, the Samsung ROM doesn't even have default calibration data but it gets generated the first time S-Note is used. The only problem is that I never ever use S-Note because of LectureNotes.
    Yeah, I had something similar and I'm also right handed. In Sketchbook, uncheck Toolbar Always Visible to make it disappear. Yes, I actually had to go outside the screen area. Rather than just trace the edges, what I did was a sort of very fine zig-zagging motion going back and forth between the screen and the bezel as I went down the edges (I didn't draw all the way to the edge of the device though, more like 1 cm or less past the edge of the LCD). I did make sure to completely fill in a 1 to 2 mm border around the edge of the LCD while I was at it (I used a fine point on the drawing tool though; can't remember the number but it wasn't the default as it was too thick. More like slightly greater than the lowest setting), and taking special care and doing multiple passes whenever I noticed the 'ink' not reaching the edge of the screen or white spots in the border I was drawing that wouldn't fill in on the first pass. They would fill in eventually the more times the stylus went over those areas; I just had to keep drawing over the area until it did, sometimes moving on and then coming back to the area later if nothing seemed to be happening. And again, I didn't lift the stylus up until I was completely finished drawing my solid border, which meant that if I screwed up, I would erase everything and start again from scratch. I don't know if what I did or how I did it was overkill, but the immediate result once I was done was the blue dot being directly under the stylus point, rather than 1 or 2 mm off. I was surprised that it was so instantaneous.

I'm also running rooted stock with no custom kernel, so it's possible to fix this without having to flash anything special.