[Q] The correct order of root

Search This thread

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
I recommend that you first root your device with 4.3 JellyBean. If you wish to upgrade to KitKat you can try my guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933

pcpepik confirmed it working on locked bootloader, I am waiting for some more people to confirm, then I'll update my other guide :)

On next Wednesday or Thursday i am planning to root my device so i want to make sure as fot the order of the steps :
(as you adviced me i didnt upgraded to kitkat yet)

1. Upgrade my 4.3 device room with that link : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081
2. After making sure thath everthing good, without updating to kitkat on my device i will preform : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933

Am i right?
Has the kitkit root unloock been tried and confirmed by more peaple now?
How long all the process should take?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
On next Wednesday or Thursday i am planning to root my device so i want to make sure as fot the order of the steps :
(as you adviced me i didnt upgraded to kitkat yet)

1. Upgrade my 4.3 device room with that link : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081
2. After making sure thath everthing good, without updating to kitkat on my device i will preform : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933

Am i right?
Has the kitkit root unloock been tried and confirmed by more peaple now?
How long all the process should take?

You don't need to flash jelly bean rom, you can go directly to KitKat. Many people already did it successfully. If you follow this guide you'll end up with 14.3.A.0.681 Generic UK (KitKat) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081 ;)

The rooting process will take around 30 minutes (exclusive download time).

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
You don't need to flash jelly bean rom, you can go directly to KitKat. Many people already did it successfully. If you follow this guide you'll end up with 14.3.A.0.681 Generic UK (KitKat) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081 ;)

The rooting process will take around 30 minutes (exclusive download time).

The link to the kitkat version is the same as the link you gave me few weeks before the kitkat upgrade - did you changed the roms to
Kitkat upgreded roms?

After finishing the process(successfully, i hope...), will my device be considred as a UK one for updates and any other Sony related stuff?

Is there any way to disguise the rom to my country instead of UK, for warranty issues?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Yes I changed the files in my guide from JellyBean to KitKat (0.681). Yes it should be considered as UK phone. Backup the file /system/build.prop, there is some stuff like SI Number.

But they can't say anything because it's not illegal to flash firmwares from other countries ;)

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Backup the file /system/build.prop, there is some stuff like SI Number.

But they can't say anything because it's not illegal to flash firmwares from other countries ;)

How can i backup that file? I cant see the folder /system without root ...
I am rooting my device so i can install Titanium backup - backing the device BEFORE rooting it wasnt something i thought about.
Since my device wasnt changed from the default settings(other then background image and ringtone), i thought that backing it wasnt
something that i will need to do....

Any other needed files for backing prior to the rooting?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Without root /system is read-only. You can backup the whole /system paritition.
Just copy busybox to your phone (you can get it for example inside dualrecovery zip).

Open cmd and type:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 busybox
./busybox tar pczvf /storage/removable/sdcard1/system.tar.gz /system

Then you have a backup of /system (system.tar.gz) on your sd card.

Personally I think this backup is useless and only for paranoid people. Because the only important thing for warranty is DRM keys (TA backup). ;)

Last edited:

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Without root /system is read-only. You can backup the whole /system paritition.
Just copy busybox to your phone (you can get it for example inside dualrecovery zip).

Open cmd and type:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 busybox
./busybox tar pczvf /storage/removable/sdcard1/system.tar.gz /system

Then you have a backup of /system (system.tar.gz) on your sd card.

Personally I think this backup is useless and only for paranoid people. Because the only important thing for warranty is DRM keys (TA backup). ;)

Sorry for my noobiness, but i will need more detailed help :
1. I saw on the dualrecovery installer afile without extension named busybox.
I will copy it to my SD card and then on the cmd from my xp machine backing as you wrote?
2. can i backup my entire device that way? how long should it take?
3. Any other files or other stuff i should backup before rooting the device?
4. Near my sim intake i have a sticker with my device details, that i was told not to remove - isn't that the Si number proof? what's in that file?
5. How can i resore the file after the rooting? simply copying it over?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
1. Yes
2. You can do it with some commands. Maybe it's possible with the app called 'Rom Manager'
3. You don't need to backup anything, in my opinion it's useless. I don't know why you'd want to do it, but to each his own.
4. Can't really remember what's on that paper. But don't remove it.
5. Best would be to make a flashable zip file

Let me make something clear: This is not easy and takes a lot of time. It's pretty useless. Sony does not care what SI-Number or firmware localization you have on your device.

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Let me make something clear: This is not easy and takes a lot of time. It's pretty useless. Sony does not care what SI-Number or firmware localization you have on your device.

I only went into that since you mentioned it....
What is that SI-Number and for what i might be needing it?

As I understood from you, I can completly localize the phone to suit my needs and region as my original stock rom, with the rooted UK room that I will end with, at a the pf the rooting process - am I right?

Last edited:

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Yeah I was wrong with telling you about that. I see now that it only confused you more. I should have lied to you and say there is no way.
The SI-Number is used to tell the localization, branding, etc. as far as I know. For example when you update the firmware, the SI-Number is checked to serve you the proper firmware.

With the UK firmware the phone will work the same as before.

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Yeah I was wrong with telling you about that. I see now that it only confused you more. I should have lied to you and say there is no way.
The SI-Number is used to tell the localization, branding, etc. as far as I know. For example when you update the firmware, the SI-Number is checked to serve you the proper firmware.

With the UK firmware the phone will work the same as before.

I rather you tell me the truth and let me do the confusing since you can unconfuse me quickly enough with your answers....

After some checking regarding the si number, i understand now what it is and i found my device Si number - can i simply edit the
rooted build.prop file with my SI number or just chosing my regional settings will update that file?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
If you have the UK rom, the SI-Number in the build.prop file will be from the UK rom, no matter which language you choose. You can edit it, if you wish. It doesn't make any difference though.

SI-Number is important if you want to download the original rom of your country/carrier. Like in this guide on part A: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z/general/guide-download-firmware-customization-t2311211

Edit: I think there is a difference between SI-Number and customization number. The customization number is used in build.prop and in the guide I posted above. You can also find it if you type *#*#7378423#*#* in dialer and then go to Service Info => Software Info => Customization Version. I'm not sure what the difference actually is :confused:

Last edited:

sachilleas

Aug 1, 2008
@cohena :
He (zxz0O0) has answered you so many times . It's good to hit the thanks button from time to time for a change...
@zxz0O0 : Thank you once again for your guide. If I follow the steps you wrote, can I use the latest .757 firmware instead of the older and buggy .681 ?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Yes you can replace the files directly if you want. When following the steps for rooting, change the files in step 15 and 19.1 to the files from 0.757 I provide in my other thread ;)

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
@cohena :
He (zxz0O0) has answered you so many times . It's good to hit the thanks button from time to time for a change...
[

Been there, done that, the help i get here mainly by zxz0O0(but not only), is VERY much appreciated.

Regrding the file switch you mentioned, what's wrong with .681 version? does .757 version is stable enough?
I am not going tp flash my room too often so i am lloking for stable and proven firmware version....

sachilleas

Aug 1, 2008
Been there, done that, the help i get here mainly by zxz0O0(but not only), is VERY much appreciated.

Regrding the file switch you mentioned, what's wrong with .681 version? does .757 version is stable enough?
I am not going tp flash my room too often so i am lloking for stable and proven firmware version....

Don't install .681, it has a massive bug. Sound comes from earpiece sometimes (randomly) instead of speaker. Sony released .757 to solve this!

Reactions: cohena

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Don't install .681, it has a massive bug. Sound comes from earpiece sometimes (randomly) instead of speaker. Sony released .757 to solve this!
does the .757 is stable and bug free(as of yet)?

where can i get it?

When rooting according to the guide, whenever i am pointed to .681 i will replace it with .757?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Yes, you can directly replace the files or upgrade to 0.757 later on with my guide. If you want to replace to files directly, use the 0.757 files from my firmware update guide.

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Yes, you can directly replace the files or upgrade to 0.757 later on with my guide. If you want to replace to files directly, use the 0.757 files from my firmware update guide.

There are few .757 roms at your guide, what are diefrences and which one do i need?
Are they all rooted?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes you can replace the files directly if you want. When following the steps for rooting, change the files in step 15 and 19.1 to the files from 0.757 I provide in my other thread ;)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2634196

If you follow the guide, you should be able to root without Unlocking Bootloader (Which will cause you loosing TA if you Unlock bootloader first)

So, the best way is to Root (Without unlock bootloader) which is in the guidance, then Backup TA, then you can unlock bootloader if you like (to install ROM or other tweaks).

For myself i just need root so i kept the Bootloader lock and have a backup TA just in case.
    If you have some concrete tips I'll be happy to edit the guide :)

Hi,

in my situation it would have been helpful to know following things:
    - is it ok to rename the downloaded .ftf files from .zip to .ftf ? --> in my case it was ok, because the windows explorer automatically saves the .ftf file as .zip (also .apk files). --> in your guide, post #8, you wrote that this is not ok.
    - as i already wrote in my last post, i thougt my phone got bricked after flashing the first file...
    - i got stuck at step 13, installing dualrecovery and got the message "Waiting for device to connect" - in my case everything was configured right on my computer, already checked your tips, but it doesn't work until the fifth restart of my phone... maybe you should also suggest a few restarts when the phone would not be recognized :)

i've rooted several samsung and google nexus devices, but this phone...

but in general, your guide is really good and helped me!
    I will take few days to better understand the process and then i will follow the guide's suggestions, i will post my experience
    using the guide after the hopefully successful ending....

Two questions:
    how do i do a "factory reset"?
    I have no data to lose, so data loss is not an issue for me....

At the hopefully successful ending of the guide which rom do i have?
    I want to get back the same device experience i begen the rooting process with....

Great :good:
    I rooted and unlocked the bootloader right after I bought the phone so data loss was also not a problem for me.

Factory reset is located in Recovery Menu under 'Wipe data/factory reset'.
    In the end you will have an unbranded UK firmware with root access. There isn't really any difference.