Need help w/CM7 and voice mail issues... What am I supposed to install? (Sprint)

Search This thread

OstrichSak

Aug 23, 2010
Colorado, USA
I flashed Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 on an Evo 4G on Sprint service and now I get text messages that say I need to call 408.970.0000 to get my VM. When I called it I got a recording about having a smart phone with SMS or something or another and I wasn't sure what it asked me but I pressed option '2' and it said something to the effect that it would continue sending me SMS voice mails but that's not what I want. I don't like getting the cryptic text messages and would much rather have the previous VM solution I had. I think it's called visual voice mail or something to that effect.

If I want that back and to do away with the SMS notifications what are my steps?

Can anyone help me out or link me to a how to and how to resolve my voice mail issue?

I found something about a Spring VM apk so do I just need to install this app and if so where can I find the latest one compatible with CM7?

Thanks for the help.

lithid-cm

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
I flashed Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 on an Evo 4G on Sprint service and now I get text messages that say I need to call 408.970.0000 to get my VM. When I called it I got a recording about having a smart phone with SMS or something or another and I wasn't sure what it asked me but I pressed option '2' and it said something to the effect that it would continue sending me SMS voice mails but that's not what I want. I don't like getting the cryptic text messages and would much rather have the previous VM solution I had. I think it's called visual voice mail or something to that effect.

If I want that back and to do away with the SMS notifications what are my steps?

Can anyone help me out or link me to a how to and how to resolve my voice mail issue?

I found something about a Spring VM apk so do I just need to install this app and if so where can I find the latest one compatible with CM7?

Thanks for the help.
Should be able to get everything you need here, I followed the steps when i first started and it worked great for me. Hopefully it works for you.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=652

OstrichSak

Aug 23, 2010
Colorado, USA
Should be able to get everything you need here, I followed the steps when i first started and it worked great for me. Hopefully it works for you.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=652

Which topic specifically?

Since posting this thread I kept searching and I've found some threads talking about a Spring VVM apk and I've downloaded what I think is the right file that I may try. Now I'm just trying to make sure this is my solution.

luist4498

Nov 13, 2010
Polk Co
We are in the middle of this same discussion on another thread so im guna hook ya up. First, download the two apps i linked below. Then using root explorer or a file manager that has root privileges mount system as r/w and delete the stock CM7 MMS app in system/app folder. Than move the MMS app i linked to system/app. Long click the MMS app and make sure permissions are set exactly like the other system apps, click ok. Now do the same with the VVM app below, move it to system apps and set permissions as well. Mount the system as r/o again and reboot your phone. Go into the VVM app and set up VVM and thats it. You will now have visual voice mail again and no annoying 9016 texts. BTW, the MMS app i posted is from Decks AOSP 1.3d rom(that has the fix for the 9016 texts) and the VVM app is from the 8/22 GAPPS, Enjoy.......

Attachments

• MmsCM7fix.apk
    543.1 KB · Views: 1,705
  • Voicemail.apk
    952.3 KB · Views: 1,876
Last edited:

OstrichSak

Aug 23, 2010
Colorado, USA
We are in the middle of this same discussion on another thread so im guna hook ya up. First, download the two apps i linked below. Then using root explorer or a file manager that has root privileges mount system as r/w and delete the stock CM7 MMS app in system/app folder. Than move the MMS app i linked to system/app. Long click the MMS app and make sure permissions are set exactly like the other system apps, click ok. Now do the same with the VVM app below, move it to system apps and set permissions as well. Mount the system as r/o again and reboot your phone. Go into the VVM app and set up VVM and thats it. You will now have visual voice mail again and no annoying 9016 texts. Enjoy.......

Thanks, I'll try it out soon as I get a chance. I installed an apk based on something I found and it kind of worked but I was getting those annoying 9016 texts like you mentioned. I'll give this a go when I get some more time.

luist4498

Nov 13, 2010
Polk Co
Thanks, I'll try it out soon as I get a chance. I installed an apk based on something I found and it kind of worked but I was getting those annoying 9016 texts like you mentioned. I'll give this a go when I get some more time.

Cool man, if all the steps are done right there will be no annoying 9016 texts.

Toney Starks

Dec 20, 2010
We are in the middle of this same discussion on another thread so im guna hook ya up. First, download the two apps i linked below. Then using root explorer or a file manager that has root privileges mount system as r/w and delete the stock CM7 MMS app in system/app folder. Than move the MMS app i linked to system/app. Long click the MMS app and make sure permissions are set exactly like the other system apps, click ok. Now do the same with the VVM app below, move it to system apps and set permissions as well. Mount the system as r/o again and reboot your phone. Go into the VVM app and set up VVM and thats it. You will now have visual voice mail again and no annoying 9016 texts. Enjoy.......

is this strictly for cyn 7?

im using OMFGB and im having problems with voicemails after i flashed the rom, it keeps saying unable to play message

luist4498

Nov 13, 2010
Polk Co

im using OMFGB and im having problems with voicemails after i flashed the rom, it keeps saying unable to play message

I have not tried that rom but the issue we are trying to fix is the annoying texts you get with every vm from 9016. I know this works with the salvaged rom too. The vm come through on your vm app though? Also, some have had success with the following if the VVM app is not verifying there account automatically. Press menu in VVM and compose a message over 25 seconds long. Send the message to activate@vvm.sprint.com and make sure you have either wifi or 3g enabled so it will send. This should kick start it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wfee

quique18

Aug 17, 2010
Use super private conversation app to block 9016 txt. Spc is a free app.

Rafael Garces
Apple and PC Certified Technician

OstrichSak

Aug 23, 2010
Colorado, USA
We are in the middle of this same discussion on another thread so im guna hook ya up. First, download the two apps i linked below. Then using root explorer or a file manager that has root privileges mount system as r/w and delete the stock CM7 MMS app in system/app folder. Than move the MMS app i linked to system/app. Long click the MMS app and make sure permissions are set exactly like the other system apps, click ok. Now do the same with the VVM app below, move it to system apps and set permissions as well. Mount the system as r/o again and reboot your phone. Go into the VVM app and set up VVM and thats it. You will now have visual voice mail again and no annoying 9016 texts. BTW, the MMS app i posted is from Decks AOSP 1.3d rom(that has the fix for the 9016 texts) and the VVM app is from the 8/22 GAPPS, Enjoy.......

The part in bold above; is it just called MMS.apk or should I be looking for a file called CM7 MMS? Just want to make sure I delete the right one before I get started here. Also, is this process going to be changed any because I installed the VVM apk before you posted this or will following your steps still yield the same results?

luist4498

Nov 13, 2010
Polk Co
The part in bold above; is it just called MMS.apk or should I be looking for a file called CM7 MMS? Just want to make sure I delete the right one before I get started here. Also, is this process going to be changed any because I installed the VVM apk before you posted this or will following your steps still yield the same results?

Yes the app you are looking for is in system/app and is called Mms.apk. The icon looks just like the messaging app in your app drawer. If you already have VVM set up and working than just delete stock Mms app and replace with new Mms app and reboot, thats all.

Reactions: t600p36

OstrichSak

Aug 23, 2010
Colorado, USA

Flawless Victory!

I just wanted to quote this post again for anyone who may be searching for a solution to the same problem. Since I had already installed the VVM I simply deleted the MMS apk and replaced as instructed and it worked perfectly. Thanks again for taking the time to post up the fix and link the files needed.

For the record, I searched and while I found ZERO answers to my problem there were sure a lot of people suggesting to search as the answer was as easy as falling off a log and that wasn't the case. I get SO frustrated when people offer zero help and instead ridicule any and every post looking for help to somehow make themselves feel better. No, the answer isn't always that simple and no you're not helping anyone. If you don't have the answer, a link to the answer or at least first hand knowledge that the answer for sure exists someplace recent then do everyone a favor and move along w/o posting. This forum is made better from people like luist4498 who actually contribute and not people like you who appear only to be around to pad their post count.

luist4498

Nov 13, 2010
Polk Co
Flawless Victory!

I just wanted to quote this post again for anyone who may be searching for a solution to the same problem. Since I had already installed the VVM I simply deleted the MMS apk and replaced as instructed and it worked perfectly. Thanks again for taking the time to post up the fix and link the files needed.

For the record, I searched and while I found ZERO answers to my problem there were sure a lot of people suggesting to search as the answer was as easy as falling off a log and that wasn't the case. I get SO frustrated when people offer zero help and instead ridicule any and every post looking for help to somehow make themselves feel better. No, the answer isn't always that simple and no you're not helping anyone. If you don't have the answer, a link to the answer or at least first hand knowledge that the answer for sure exists someplace recent then do everyone a favor and move along w/o posting. This forum is made better from people like luist4498 who actually contribute and not people like you who appear only to be around to pad their post count.

No problem man! I dont understand why certain people are so nasty about another asking for help when it took me only a couple minutes to upload and post the files and fix. Go figure, btw, if u flash CM nightlies or re-flash CM for any reason u will have to do this fix again since they install the stock MMS again when u flash nightlies or re-flash rom.

Reactions: OstrichSak

OstrichSak

Aug 23, 2010
Colorado, USA
No problem man! I dont understand why certain people are so nasty about another asking for help when it took me only a couple minutes to upload and post the files and fix. Go figure, btw, if u flash CM nightlies or re-flash CM for any reason u will have to do this fix again since they install the stock MMS again when u flash nightlies or re-flash rom.

Thanks for the heads up but I'm not one to flash ROMs on a regular basis. I was running MikG v2.3 for months before a got caught in a boot loop which forced me to reflash a new ROM. At this time I looked at what was available and decided I liked CM7 the best and flashed that. Unless something else catastrophically fails or I find a feature I can't live w/o I will likely rock this ROM for some time to come. If I do change it though I will be sure to do the fix and refer back to this thread for a refresher. Thanks!

luist4498

Nov 13, 2010
Polk Co
Thanks for the heads up but I'm not one to flash ROMs on a regular basis. I was running MikG v2.3 for months before a got caught in a boot loop which forced me to reflash a new ROM. At this time I looked at what was available and decided I liked CM7 the best and flashed that. Unless something else catastrophically fails or I find a feature I can't live w/o I will likely rock this ROM for some time to come. If I do change it though I will be sure to do the fix and refer back to this thread for a refresher. Thanks!

Me too man,,,,,im lovin this CM7.

Mich2Ga

Oct 10, 2010
Dallas Tx
Good post, alerted of this thread & more need to be alerted of this thread & external links in here. Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Thanks for not being a prick. Dude comes for help & maybe he didn't post in the right section. Some people act like they always knew it all.

Reactions: Evobabe

Slater5508

Jul 23, 2008

I tried this for the virtual voice mail and it works perfectly. But...now when I hit settings while on the sms screen I get the following message: "Sorry! The application Messaging (processing com.android.mms) has stopped working unexpectedly. Please try again." Any ideas or advice?

Thanks

Apr 26, 2011
:)
Worked great on my evo 4g and CM7.1
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the help.

I have not tried that rom but the issue we are trying to fix is the annoying texts you get with every vm from 9016. I know this works with the salvaged rom too. The vm come through on your vm app though? Also, some have had success with the following if the VVM app is not verifying there account automatically. Press menu in VVM and compose a message over 25 seconds long. Send the message to activate@vvm.sprint.com and make sure you have either wifi or 3g enabled so it will send. This should kick start it.

Yes the app you are looking for is in system/app and is called Mms.apk. The icon looks just like the messaging app in your app drawer. If you already have VVM set up and working than just delete stock Mms app and replace with new Mms app and reboot, thats all.
    Flawless Victory!