[Q] How to root Huawei U8860(Honor) with Android 4.0

Search This thread

prettyyy

Jul 11, 2010
Hi, guys,
Yesterday, Huawei released Android 4.0 ICS DEMO for U8860(a.k.a. Huawei Honor), as always I applied this updated immediately. It works fine, although I didn't see much difference from Android 2.3.
Here is a question, Does anybody know how to root U8860 with Android 4.0 safely?
big thanks.

mirot

Sep 29, 2010
!

I am also new owner from huawei honor..best phone ever ! battery life extremely good ! my phone is on 2.3.5 arriwed and don't need to upgrade it immediately.
does anybody know how to root this phone ?:eek:

Thanx

Reactions: prettyyy

the258

Dec 12, 2011
McAllen TX
Hi, guys,
Yesterday, Huawei released Android 4.0 ICS DEMO for U8860(a.k.a. Huawei Honor), as always I applied this updated immediately. It works fine, although I didn't see much difference from Android 2.3.
Here is a question, Does anybody know how to root U8860 with Android 4.0 safely?
big thanks.

did you download the .zip file to upgrade to ICS?

the258

Dec 12, 2011
McAllen TX
unzip the file and copy to sdcard.make update manually on the phone

all the links i came across to upgrade to ICS are all 'UPDATE.APP', no zip files.
Huawei doesnt have it on their site anymore. I was hoping you could mirror it or something.

BTW i tried rooting using the method for the U8800, does not work.

mistic-tooth

Oct 27, 2011
moscow
hello, we got Root, I can not insert a link (no rights), copy the post:
1. Set the wood on your computer.

2. We enter the engineering menu of the body. (*#*# 2,846,579 #*#*) further ProjectMenu - Background setting-Log setting - Logswitch - LOG on - turn on, return to the ProjectMenu - Damp & Log include all items (total 4 points). Exit and restart ProjectMenu of the body.

3. Connecting to a PC the "Settings" - "Applications" - "Unknown sources" - turn on, then "Quick" - disable, then "Development" - include "Debug on USB" and "left on"

4. On the PC, disable antivirus, run SuperOneClickv2.3.1. and in the upper left corner click "ROOT".

5. On the pop-up windows give the "OK", a window with a proposal where a register just turn it off.

6. The ending of the whole operation will be a few lines (about half the screen) at the end of the last word "OK"

7. Turn off SuperOneClickv2.3.1, then "Options" - "Applications" - "Development" - turn off the "Debug on USB" and "left on" turn on "Quick", disconnected from the PC, restart the body.

8. If done correctly then open desks and one of them will see the icon "Sueruser" versiya3.0.7.

9. Return to its original condition and value of LOG on Damp & Log

PS
A small addition to the previous post, namely, after the root note two folders on the SD card and bugreports sleeplog. Remove the contents. If they continue to be replenished, then go to step 2 do the engineering menu, and then claim 9. Restart the body, clean folder on your SD card.

Reactions: yukimura12

mirot

Sep 29, 2010
!

2. We enter the engineering menu of the body. (*#*# 2,846,579 #*#*) further ProjectMenu - Background setting-Log setting - Logswitch - LOG on - turn on, return to the ProjectMenu - Damp & Log include all items (total 4 points). Exit and restart ProjectMenu of the body.

3. Connecting to a PC the "Settings" - "Applications" - "Unknown sources" - turn on, then "Quick" - disable, then "Development" - include "Debug on USB" and "left on"

4. On the PC, disable antivirus, run SuperOneClickv2.3.1. and in the upper left corner click "ROOT".

5. On the pop-up windows give the "OK", a window with a proposal where a register just turn it off.

6. The ending of the whole operation will be a few lines (about half the screen) at the end of the last word "OK"

7. Turn off SuperOneClickv2.3.1, then "Options" - "Applications" - "Development" - turn off the "Debug on USB" and "left on" turn on "Quick", disconnected from the PC, restart the body.

8. If done correctly then open desks and one of them will see the icon "Sueruser" versiya3.0.7.

PS
A small addition to the previous post, namely, after the root note two folders on the SD card and bugreports sleeplog. Remove the contents. If they continue to be replenished, then go to step 2 do the engineering menu, and then claim 9. Restart the body, clean folder on your SD card.

this is method only for 2.3.5 gingerbread and doesn't work with ICS !
but if you have bugreport in the phone also doesn't work on 2.3.5 gingerbread

i have also bugreport and cannot root the phone anymore ! sd card formated,also phone memory and bugreport is still inside !

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

somebody have 2.3.5 rom for Honor with android market and gmail inside?please post link here

thanx

Last edited:

n3mz1z

Apr 1, 2011
Motueka
somebody have 2.3.5 rom for Honor with android market and gmail inside?please post link here

thanx

Yea I think I my have found one..... Waiting for it to finish downloading if its the one we both seek I will post a link.

EDIT: trying this one now -

1.)Download the bootloader menu tool - recovery-v8.img 5.5 MB megauploadDOTcom/?d=GN3NFEWS
2.)Download this zip 2.3.6 Sorry I can't post links in my first few posts apparently. pm me will email link then someone with more posts can post link.

3.)Turn phone off, Hold down both the volume up AND the volume down keys without letting go also then press and hold the power button. After a while your whole screen should go PINK. your usb cable should already be plugged in and this should mount a usb drive on your computer that you can access. Open it. There will be a file in there called recovery.img , rename it to recovery.old, then copy the recovery-v8.img to this drive. Rename it to recovery.img. Pull out the battery and re-insert.

Boot the phone by pressing and holding only the volume up key and the power button. This should load you into the new recovery image. From here you can load the .zip file from the menu.

Phew.

Its good to have a working phone.

PS its a custom rom thats already rooted and has root explorer installed. NICE! Oh ad you can install google apps from google. just google gapps-ics-20111125-2.zip

Last edited:

jepekyen

Jun 23, 2010
Jakarta
Yea I think I my have found one..... Waiting for it to finish downloading if its the one we both seek I will post a link.

1.)Download the bootloader menu tool - recovery-v8.img 5.5 MB megauploadDOTcom/?d=GN3NFEWS
2.)Download this zip 2.3.6 Sorry I can't post links in my first few posts apparently. pm me will email link then someone with more posts can post link.

3.)Turn phone off, Hold down both the volume up AND the volume down keys without letting go also then press and hold the power button. After a while your whole screen should go PINK. your usb cable should already be plugged in and this should mount a usb drive on your computer that you can access. Open it. There will be a file in there called recovery.img , rename it to recovery.old, then copy the recovery-v8.img to this drive. Rename it to recovery.img. Pull out the battery and re-insert.

Boot the phone by pressing and holding only the volume up key and the power button. This should load you into the new recovery image. From here you can load the .zip file from the menu.

Phew.

PS its a custom rom thats already rooted and has root explorer installed. NICE! Oh ad you can install google apps from google. just google gapps-ics-20111125-2.zip

please PM me those link :(
i am eager to get my self a rooted ROM.

many thanks pal :D

andrie_zeta

Dec 31, 2011

Phew.

why when i connect phone to the pc after pink screen my sdcard and phone cant detect in the pc??
what i should do to be detected? :( and send me link ofcourse.. thxs

update:
i have succeed go into recovery mode but i cant install the zip file.. what i must load the ROM into sd card before?

Last edited:

mirot

Sep 29, 2010
!

If you have 2.3.6 firmware your phone will be NOT recognized on your PC by pink screen !!! By reason of lock on 2.3.6.
You can install Chinacom 2.3.5 firmware and use this procedure(pink screen) again,and will be OK.after that you can install any custom rom also 2.3.6 !

andrie_zeta

Dec 31, 2011
If you have 2.3.6 firmware your phone will be NOT recognized on your PC by pink screen !!! By reason of lock on 2.3.6.
You can install Chinacom 2.3.5 firmware and use this procedure(pink screen) again,and will be OK.after that you can install any custom rom also 2.3.6 !

ohh.. that's why i cant connect to the pc because i use 2.3.6 thxs for your information :)

n3mz1z

Apr 1, 2011
Motueka
Root Hauwei U8860 with ICS and Gapps

So I gave up on Gingerbread. I am now running ICS with Gapps.

I did it by the following steps.

1.) install the ICS demo provided by huawei
2.) Replace the recovery.img with the v8 one via the pink screen method mentioned in my previous post.
3.) download the gapps ics .zip to your sdcard and rename it to update.zip in the root of sdcard.
4.) Boot to recovery menu by holding power button and volume up button, then slect update zip, then chose the update.zip. once completed reboot.
5.) when you boot into ics login to google talk with your account first via 3g data not wifi data. then gmail.
6.) now market should work!

Also you can root ICS easy with any rooting tools. I used RootThat-v1.0.0

PS I emailed/pm'd the gingerbread rom to all who requested it. I found it unstable though.

mirot

Sep 29, 2010
!

no bro.newest version of ICS for Honor is with kernel 3.0.8 ! is pretty good but still not stable and on testing.it is rootable also with oneclickroot not only over pink screen.link what i give you that is very stable version of 2.3.6 but not rootable if you have "bugreport" inside phone,if not it is possible to root
regards

andrie_zeta

Dec 31, 2011
So I gave up on Gingerbread. I am now running ICS with Gapps.

I did it by the following steps.

1.) install the ICS demo provided by huawei
2.) Replace the recovery.img with the v8 one via the pink screen method mentioned in my previous post.
3.) download the gapps ics .zip to your sdcard and rename it to update.zip in the root of sdcard.
4.) Boot to recovery menu by holding power button and volume up button, then slect update zip, then chose the update.zip. once completed reboot.
5.) when you boot into ics login to google talk with your account first via 3g data not wifi data. then gmail.
6.) now market should work!

Also you can root ICS easy with any rooting tools. I used RootThat-v1.0.0

PS I emailed/pm'd the gingerbread rom to all who requested it. I found it unstable though.

are you already fix the camera flash, radio fm, and any bugs in ICS?
btw huawei already upload ginger new version ini international language so u can grab it ginger with gapps work tinyurl..com/77hurt3 (add the http and erase dot)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To enable google apps on ICS 4.0.3

Upgrade to ICS 4.0.3

Download ICS 4.0.3 upgrade from huaweidevice.com/cn/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDExNTI=

Make a “dload” directory on SD card root directory

Copy the "UPDATE.APP” and "UPDATE_CUST.APP" to "dload" folder on SD card.

Long press volume up + volume down + power button on the handset to startup you device in upgrade mode.

It will reboot few times.

Delete "dload" forlder on sdcard

Root access

Download recovery image at mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7

Download su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip at mediafire.com/?burku15l62eb4te

copy su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip to the root of sdcard

Delete "dload" folder on sdcard

Open settings / application then turn off/unthick "fast boot"

Unplug any usb connection and turn the phone completely off

Holding both the volume up + volume down + power button to startup you device. Let go when you see a pink/purple screen.

Attach the usb cable to your computer and wait until a few usb mass storage devices are detected and mounted.

Look for one that has just one directory called "image" in it. Navigate into this directory and you'll see "recovery.img" etc.

Rename "recovery.img" to "recovery.org"

copy "recovery-v8.img" to image folder and rename to "recovery.img", unmount the mass storage device (safely remove in windows) and then pull the battery out to turn the phone off

Long press volume up + power button on the handset to startup you device in recovery mode

Select “Install zip from sdcard”
    Select “choose zip from SD card”
    Find and select "su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip"
    Select "++Go Back++"
    Select "reboot system now"

Add google apps to ICS 4.0.3

Download gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip at goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip and copy to sdcard

Unplug any usb connection and turn the phone completely off

Long press volume up + power button on the handset to startup you device in recovery mode

Select “Install zip from sdcard”
    Select “choose zip from SD card”
    Find and select "gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip"
    Select "++Go Back++"
    Select "reboot system now"

On dial pad type ( *147258369# ) select "Display GMS apps" and "Ok"
    Reboot phone

All done :)

Arnt
    The recovery image linked in post #53 named "recovery_v8.img" --> http://www.mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7
    Doesn't seem to be able to make Nandroid Backups. It seems to correctly create a boot.img and a system.img, but while creating the data.img it crashes, leaving the data.img either with a size of 0 bytes or sometimes with a few MB but corrupted. After a bit of testing I found that the problem doesn't seem to be the backup process, but just the time of how long since the boot of the recovery image. It also reboots if I don't do anything.

Is there any other recovery that works for the U8860, besides the original one and this one? I would like to have these two features from a recovery image:
    -) flashing custom stuff
    -) creating (and restoring) nandroid backups

I searched the web, but I couldn't find anything satisfactory:
    this links to the same recovery image:
    http://naw32fsystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-install-recovery-on-huawei-honor.html

and here they have another image but it doesn't seem to boot for me, if I try to boot it, it just keeps hanging on the huawei logo
    http://unleashedprepaids.com/index.php?topic=491.0
    --> http://www.mediafire.com/?lwhyfr9kgho80ap

I managed to get the dmesg output a few milliseconds before such an unwanted reboot -->
    Code:
    /root # dmesg -c
    <3>[0, swapper] [  145.652458] 
    <3>[0, swapper] [  145.652458] SMSM: Modem SMSM state changed to SMSM_RESET.
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset ch:0
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset ch:1
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:2
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:3
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:4
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:5
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:6
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:7
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:8
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:9
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:10

EDIT: Okey, I seem to have finally found a recovery that seems to work, but the problem with it its in chinese... I attach it since for downloading it from this site you first have to register and reply to the post..
    http://www.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2092884
    It's a bit easier to find your way around this recovery menue by looking at the screenshots with english text from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1465957

EDIT2: I checked the chinese forum again, and found another post that has the same recovery but with english language! --> there -->
    http://www.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2087367
    I replace the attachment file with the english version
    U8860 root

Greetings to all!
    First of all I must apologise for my bad English. Lack of practice...

I've found how to gain root access for Honor running ICS with locked bootloader.
    It is simple and ugly.
    Getting root is based on mempodroid exploit and modified n95-offsets.
    Everything was rather simple except I've got some headache while getting the conclusion :)

technical and other information
    On June 15 Huawei released firmware for CIS marked as official. Shame to Huawei for locking pinkscreen filesystem mount and many useless software. Also this firmware was really greedy for RAM. Less than 100Mb or mostly less was available after boot.

Russian community was really upset due to locked pinkscreen issue. We started root privilege search. We choose mempodroid as a primary tool. Another part was n95-offsets.
    As all of you know, n95-offsets use pattern-search scenario to find required memory offsets. Huawei (or some other company or even compiler) slightly changed source code such a way that n95-offsets didn't find necessary addresses. With the help of hexedit I've found that one (of two total for exit function) instruction was changed a little. 0xB0FFFFFF (source of n95-offsets) was changed to 0xB7FFFFFF (run-as application). Among that, while browsing binary copy I got memory address before n95-offset.

Simple code replace did the trick. mempodroid works. Root access gained.

Addresses for mempodroid usage
    Assume that you've got android SDK (just for adb), and YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DO. Rooting may violate warranty. Mind it.
    Assume you copied a recent copy of mempodroid to /data/local/tmp and started adb shell right there :)
    Code:
    shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./mempodroid 0xd454 0xaac3 sh
    $ in the end of command prompt became #.
    It means that ACCESS GRANTED! :D
    So...
    Exit code offset is 0xd454
    SUID code offset is 0xaac3

Cheers!

P.S. These adresses work for U8800 Pro also. :)
    did you guys managed to sync calendar? the option is not even available when i log my google account, it can only sync contacts and gmail.
    For those who have problems with calendar synchronization on ICS, perhaps you can use the way I use:

1. Go to the calendar
    2. Go to the Settings
    3. Tap/click ADD ACCOUNT
    4. Tap/click Corporate
    5. Insert your Google email address & password
    6. In the Account setup, fill the Domain\username with full of your Gmail address, for example; oke@gmail.com, for password, enter the password you have, for server, fill with m.google.com, checklist Use secure connection (SSL) Accept all SSL certificates, just tap/click Next buttons to continue, later you can choose wether you want to checklist all the options or severals... :D

PS