Replaced just the glass, saved the digi/lcd (With video)

Search This thread

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
Its to hard to manage threads for all platforms so im going to consolidate all the questions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31998128#post31998128

Well I read a lot of places that it couldn't be done. I have successfully replaced just the glass. I recorded it on my Gopro so everyone can see how its done. If you find it useful hit the thanks :) Make sure you spread this around so people stop buying 300 dollar full LCD assemblies.

without further adieu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Gx5fLy0NQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

digital4282

Jun 1, 2010
Ohio
Man, excellent job. My only complaint would be the fingerprints on the lcd/glass. Sadly, I'm assuming you can't wipe them off since the LCD would break, right? I'm a cell phone repair technician and I've attempted the same thing you just did and had to replace the entire assembly simply because I broke it taking it a part. Any pointers on cleaning the LCD/Digitizer without breaking it? The customers at my shop wouldn't be happy in the least about a single smudge. (I know, I know ...)

Thanks,
Rob

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
Man, excellent job. My only complaint would be the fingerprints on the lcd/glass. Sadly, I'm assuming you can't wipe them off since the LCD would break, right? I'm a cell phone repair technician and I've attempted the same thing you just did and had to replace the entire assembly simply because I broke it taking it a part. Any pointers on cleaning the LCD/Digitizer without breaking it? The customers at my shop wouldn't be happy in the least about a single smudge. (I know, I know ...)

Thanks,
Rob

I was thinking maybe DSLR lens cleaner. I didnt expect it to work and I used my shirt lol. came out pretty good.

skatin707

Jun 23, 2011
Honolulu, HI

Thanks,
Rob

Why weren't you wearing gloves?

I planned on using gloves to avoid smudges entirely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

kobz1973

Oct 19, 2008
i dont normally drink ... would you recommend i have a beer first ??? :laugh:

on the serious side ... my phone looks bad

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
i dont normally drink ... would you recommend i have a beer first ??? :laugh:

on the serious side ... my phone looks bad

DSC03024.jpg

Looks like you need to get to it.
Drinking typically helps.

I agree

netjack

Jul 28, 2012
if the screen is fully sensitive to touch, that means the digitizer doesn't need to be replaced, correct?

skatin707

Jun 23, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I bought some 10cane and Abuelo 83yr to assist in replacing my screen and building my new desktop monster :D

kinghorsey

Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the video. Cracked my screen and I've ordered a replacement. Should be here late next week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

grizzlymint

Nov 13, 2007
I noticed a lot of people talking about the blue/white only, but I am seeing red on ebay. I am assuming that this would be the same as the blue/white? I want to keep mine red. And should I invest in a heat gun, or can I use a hair dryer?

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
I noticed a lot of people talking about the blue/white only, but I am seeing red on ebay. I am assuming that this would be the same as the blue/white? I want to keep mine red. And should I invest in a heat gun, or can I use a hair dryer?

Its really up to you. I like the extra heat but it seems people have had success with Blowdryers. I would just hate to crack he AMOLED because the glue was still tacky.

Top Liked Posts