[Q] Current method of rooting DHD (build 1.32.405.6)

Search This thread

Tamen

Apr 18, 2011
Hi,
So I've done a fair bit of reading and want to root my DHD (mostly for the extra features and apps it enables, and in the future possibly custom roms, but not at the moment). However, there's so many sites all saying to use different methods.

I've found this, which was written only a couple of weeks ago so should be up to date? Even though my phone was brand new about 5 weeks ago, it (for some reason) isn't on the newer kernel (that needs downgrading). EDIT: It doesn't let me post links as I'm new. Search "android devices root desire hd tutorial" on google and it's the top one ;)

How safe is rooting, following this (or a different guide you recommend)? I.E chance of bricking, etc.

I've taken a backup of my SD card (copy + pasted all folders in windows explorer, hopefully that does the trick) - what else should I know before carrying on?

So:
-How should I root my phone and are there any known problems?
-How should I back up my phone before rooting (and how destructive is rooting)?
-Anything else I should know.

Orange, UK, unlocked phone, bought sim-free through dialaphone (they put together a sim only contract and sim-free handset and sell it as a bundle).

Last edited:

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
There is an excellent guide on xda. Just search Google or xda for "s-off tool HTC desire hd xda" . If you follow it step by step, you will get root, and s-off. S-off will enable you to flash custom ROMs or kernels. There is a link there also for the devs other tool "eng s-off" needed if you want to flash radios.

But, first of all you'll have to set your pc up and able to communicate in ADB. You'll need to dl: HTC sync, sdk tools, fastboot.exe, and some other I can't quite remember off top of my head....not at pc or home.

If your phone is branded, you'll need to make a "gold card". There are guides around for that.

Next follow the s-off guide exactly. There is a link to visionary, which will give you root access, but not able to install any kernels, or ROMs.
Then use the s-off tool and eng s-off tool (if you want).

If you follow these guides exactly, there will not be a problem. Just make sure you have lots of battery, read all the guides steps at least twice, and warnings. There is always a risk.

Before you flash any custom ROM, best also to make a clockworkmod recovery of your original Rom, and copy to a safe place.

So I can't be more specific with the guides, I'm away, just put those quotes into Google, and follow the links in the posts, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Morality

Mar 23, 2011
Hämeenlinna
Hi Tamen and welcome to XDA

Personally, I'm not a very much advanced user of handsets, so I am basically in the same position as you. Although, I have a rooted & flashed ROM&Radio.

Jkoljo's tools are a blessing, and so is the thread "+[GUIDE]How to flash a ROM onto your DESIRE HD [COMPLETE]". It utilizes jkoljo's tools well and very much tells you how to get yourself into a working custom rom. Thats how I learned :)

You can find the thread in the "Sticky rollup" of the "Desire HD Development section".

Have fun here! No better place for stuff like this than XDA :cool:

ghostofcain

Nov 25, 2009
Birkenhead
Google Pixel 8
Yeah, the post you linked to is essentially the old school root method i.e do it yourself rather than using the one touch tools, and is the method I favour as should anything go wrong you'll no exactly where. Chances of a brick if you follow the instructions is virtually zero so no worries there either, enjoy.

Tamen

Apr 18, 2011
Ok thanks everyone, I've setup ADB etc, and got visionary installed, I'll get rooting later today.

Just one last thing - how easy is it to unroot & return to how my phone is now? Can this somehow be done if I brick it? If bricked, obviously it needs to be unrooted when sent back to orange/htc or they'll have a fit and demand £350. As I'm 1 month into a 24 month contract, I'd rather not spend the remaining 23 on a useless phone :p

EDIT: and do I run visionary plugged in with charge only or not plugged in?

Last edited:

Morality

Mar 23, 2011
Hämeenlinna
Ok thanks everyone, I've setup ADB etc, and got visionary installed, I'll get rooting later today.

Just one last thing - how easy is it to unroot & return to how my phone is now? Can this somehow be done if I brick it? If bricked, obviously it needs to be unrooted when sent back to orange/htc or they'll have a fit and demand £350. As I'm 1 month into a 24 month contract, I'd rather not spend the remaining 23 on a useless phone :p

EDIT: and do I run visionary plugged in with charge only or not plugged in?

I don't think you need it to be plugged in, I don't think it matters.
At least visionary has an "un-root" option, and jkoljo's tools have guides to undo everything done so far, afaik :)

Tamen

Apr 18, 2011
So I clicked temproot and it said "rooting, wait a minute" (or whatever the screen is :p) then went black and restarted :S

Android 2.2
kernel 2.6.32.21
build 1.32.405.6
software 1.32.405.6

Everywhere says that 1.32.405.6 should be fine - any ideas?

superstick1

Feb 9, 2011
Hi Tamen

You do not need to connect to PC to use Visionary+.

Hmm.. your build number is at 1.32.405.6 so it should be a problem. If your phone is higher than 1.32xxxx, say, 1.72xxxxx, then yes you have to downgrade first in order you to use Visionary+.

I guess your phone is branded? Since it is from UK Orange. If yes read up the gold card thread.

Tamen

Apr 18, 2011
It's not branded - Dialaphone buy phones sim-free and buy sim only contracts and put them together - my phone came unlocked and there's nothing that say orange on it, so I can only assume it's unbranded.

I re-installed and tried "temproot" - it didn't black screen this time, but it still re-booted (went to white screen with htc logo), came back, tried "su" in terminal and got permission denied. I don't want to click permroot as if it's not temporary rooted it won't work and could cause problems I think?

Last edited:

ghostofcain

Nov 25, 2009
Birkenhead
Google Pixel 8
It's not branded - Dialaphone buy phones sim-free and buy sim only contracts and put them together - my phone came unlocked and there's nothing that say orange on it, so I can only assume it's unbranded.

I re-installed and tried "temproot" - it didn't black screen this time, but it still re-booted (went to white screen with htc logo), came back, tried "su" in terminal and got permission denied. I don't want to click permroot as if it's not temporary rooted it won't work and could cause problems I think?

Try the method you mentioned first. Visionary, it's suggested, may misbehave on some phones the method you posted about in the OP doesn't need visionary to work.

Tamen

Apr 18, 2011
Although I haven't perm rooted yet, it successfully temp rooted after another try (3rd attempt, second unplugged)