What will be the next QWERTY slider for you? Rumors welcome...

Search This thread

manimmal

Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in Florida
Have you guys seen the patent that HTC filed?

It looks like they are hopefully still trying to keep some of the qwerty market. This isn't necessarily tied to the G3 rumor, but I am hoping...

Yeah that would be awesome. That's basically the design the Touch Pro 2 had. If they bring that back with the exact same keyboard layout the TP2 had, but for the G3 that would be perfect! We shall see what happens tho...definitely not getting my hopes up. If only the 7 Pro wasn't a windows phone...

Sent from my 4GSlide using the xdApp

Narhim

Jul 10, 2011
I see, thanks for the good news. My concern however, it won't make it to europe... Really hope for a good qwertz slider smartphone here... Fingers crossed!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

ryaninc

Have you guys seen the patent that HTC filed?

http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/07/htc-patent-reveals-new-slide-out-styled-smartphone-design.html

It looks like they are hopefully still trying to keep some of the qwerty market. This isn't necessarily tied to the G3 rumor, but I am hoping...

Fascinating! Of course, just because they file a patent doesn't mean they will actually use it. But still, HTC has used unique slider/hinge designs for both the G1 and G2, so if there is a G3 in the works, it's very possible that it could use this new design. We can hope, right?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda-developers app

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
The G3 rumor mill is hitting the blogosphere pretty heavy (or was late last week). It's odd how everyone's thinking that it could be a slider QWERTY even though HTC made their "no more QWERTYs" announcement. That would be a dream though!

Sent from my HTC MyTouch 4G Slide using xda premium

By the way, if HTC does make a new qwerty this September, it won't be the first time they've gone back on their word

http://blog.htc.com/2012/03/ics/
"After extensive testing, we’ve determined that the current version of HTC Sense with Android provides customers with the best experience on the HTC Desire HD. When we consider new versions of software, we weigh a number of factors, but ultimately the customer experience on the product is the deciding factor. We apologize for any confusion this change may have caused our customers."

Poor DHD users :(
Lol even though HTC and T-Mobile screwed us, they never lead us on

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

No?

HTC 7 Pro (4:00 in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9WO8uXeAJY

HTC Touch Pro 2 (4:20 in)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkZlsS_lFo

Both were delicious phones.

Ok, maybe if I can keep the screen flat and tilt only when I need it like in the touch pro 2 video. That sounds great. I don't need my phone screen popping up like a laptop every time I need to type something though...

Desco911

Jul 24, 2012
All my previous phones have had alpha keys (Treo, SE p1i, then t9 phones) and I wasn't sure about getting a non-alpha keyed phone, but the 4G Slide ended up being the best specs for the price anyway, so I got it... Turns out I use it a LOT less than I thought I would-- swyping is just so much faster. I do however use the hardware keys almost exclusively for website/email addresses and login/passwords because it's a lot harder to make mistakes (and there's no autocorrect getting in the way)...

I'm gonna have a real tough decision to make for my next phone unless Samsung comes out with a Nexus or S-series phone with a hardware keboard. :)

raycosm

Jul 25, 2010
All my previous phones have had alpha keys (Treo, SE p1i, then t9 phones) and I wasn't sure about getting a non-alpha keyed phone, but the 4G Slide ended up being the best specs for the price anyway, so I got it... Turns out I use it a LOT less than I thought I would-- swyping is just so much faster. I do however use the hardware keys almost exclusively for website/email addresses and login/passwords because it's a lot harder to make mistakes (and there's no autocorrect getting in the way)...

I'm gonna have a real tough decision to make for my next phone unless Samsung comes out with a Nexus or S-series phone with a hardware keboard. :)

I'll agree with you that typing on a soft keyboard is faster, but typing on a hardware keyboard is just...more enjoyable. Also, I'm finding that it's actually kind of frustrating typing on a screen smaller than 4 inches coming from the Vibrant. I didn't realize how big of a screen size difference there between from the Vibrant to the MT4GS. And finally, I find landscape mode nearly useless without a slide out qwerty since android uses the entire screen for text input when you're in landscape mode, making instant messaging a bit frustrating.

My only complaint about the MT4GS keyboard is that the space bar is too short and needs to extend a bit to the right so that my right thumb can press it more easily. I guess I'll look for that in my next phone, but I don't see me switching for another 2 years.

macksgarage

Sep 5, 2011
Greensboro
I have a touchpro2 running android and I love the kickup display. It works either way. Sadly it was a win6.5 phone and neither windows nor android was livable. But its what made me buy this phone.

If the g3 exists...I'll get one. With or without a kickup display. But please...with?

Sent from my doubleshot running cm9-alpha6

onebornoflight

Dec 23, 2011
The "official" word on the previously discussed Samsung slider is the designation "Galaxy S Blaze Q" so... there you go lol! August 15th or so.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda app-developers app

macksgarage

Sep 5, 2011
Greensboro
I'm glad I already got rid of my i4g or I would be pissed...never expected an ota from att for it but was waiting for dhd release of sense 3.6/ics, figuring the parts and sources would allow a polished ics release.

Sent from my doubleshot running cm9-alpha6

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
alot of samsungs sliders are cheap, plastic like keys. i dont think samsung will make a better keyboarrd then the mytouch 4g slides keyboard

I will admit the samsung phone is more plasticky. But I've used my friend's captivate glide, and the keyboard is much better than the one we have. Keys give a lot more response and feedback when pressed. 4G Slide keys are much smaller in comparison. Obviously, this phone has much more dev support and has better build quality overall, but I have to concede that the keyboard is not the strong suit. I dread typing out long messages (like this one) on the 4G Slide, but on my old G2 I could pound out replies no problem. It's actually the worst keyboard of all the android phones I've owned so far (Cliq, 3G Slide, and G2). But the raw power and camera make up for it... and it has a track pad, which is a small feature I've grown to like in my last few phones. So it seemed like the only upgrade I had to the G2.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

wiswis

Aug 17, 2011
I will admit the samsung phone is more plasticky. But I've used my friend's captivate glide, and the keyboard is much better than the one we have. Keys give a lot more response and feedback when pressed. 4G Slide keys are much smaller in comparison. Obviously, this phone has much more dev support and has better build quality overall, but I have to concede that the keyboard is not the strong suit. I dread typing out long messages (like this one) on the 4G Slide, but on my old G2 I could pound out replies no problem. It's actually the worst keyboard of all the android phones I've owned so far (Cliq, 3G Slide, and G2). But the raw power and camera make up for it... and it has a track pad, which is a small feature I've grown to like in my last few phones. So it seemed like the only upgrade I had to the G2.

The keyboard is pretty bad but the guys are made with better feeling material (I think)

shikaziin

Nov 15, 2010
Anybody considering Motorola Photon Q ?. If rumors is right, i thinks Photon Q spesification is awesome...:laugh:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    'sigh' even though I'm sick to the point of being bed bound, I still researched this for you. Do your home work before posting. Also, I know the difference between gsm and cdma. After over 400 posts on this site, it's remarkable how little credit you give me. But back to the point, there are cdma phones out there that have Sim slots, also known as world phones. It does depend on the hardware however. So a Sim slot =/= unlocked for domestic gsm use. Actually it never means that, because I've never come across a world phone that's already unlocked for domestic gsm. Usually you have to flash a new baseband to enable the radio to work properly (assuming the radio has the capability to run on your bands).

The thread is brewing as we speak. Maybe you guys would like to stir the pot

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25127887

Fight the man!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA Premium App
    Oh , im sorry yea I saw that when I looked back it was just a EOL for the sidekick 4g .

Yea if they made a updated sidekick atleast 1.2 duallie , 8mp cam 1080 , Super amoled? gorilla glass? TV out ? oh man id be all over that bad boy

Look at the specs on this beast
    http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_d_quad_xl-4569.php not a qwerty though
    1.5 ghz quad core , TV OUT 8gb rom , 1gb ram

I wonder what the quality of huawei is ?
    I wonder what the quality of huawei is ?

We'll find out soon enough. They're doing some new myTouches (including a low-end QWERTY, IIRC).
    Googled, saw 4 row keyboard. Instant fail in my book.

This thread looks to have died about a week ago, but has anyone heard anything about a qwerty slider with a bigger than 4" screen? I really think we need a 4.3"+ slider here. I mean it's 100% doable within a reasonable size.

Take the HTC Rezound and Thunderbolt, both over 13mm thick. I think the rezoung is 13.7. So is the motorola droid 2, the droid 4 is 12.7mm thick, even thinner than these htc phones. On top of that the droid x that paired with the droid 2 in similar specs was 9.9mm thick. The droid razr maxx is 9mm thick. So I don't see why we can't get a Droid 4 maxx with 4.3" screen, same size, just 13mm thick instead of the 9.9 razr maxx. It'd still be thinner than the HTC high end phones with the exact same screen size. There's no excuse blaming thickness as a reason to not have a slider.

Motorola might be annoying and lock their phones down as much as possible, but I'd be willing to ignore that fact if they'd just get a nice droid 4 maxx with 4.3" screen out.

Or samsung could do a galaxy SIII slider, that would be awesome too with a 4.8" screen, or maybe the 4.65" screen of the galaxy nexus. I'm sure they could make it only 13mm thick as well, but it wouldn't get the awesome battery of the moto phone.

Also just realized this is a tmobile thread, I was wondering what was with their phones being talked about only. Anyway all carriers deserve some phone like this.

Well, I have a Droid 4 for work and I don't really like it so much. The keyboard is nice but it's ridiculously loud. The device itself is way too big. You're asking for a 4.3+ screen size and I'll say you're crazy. Why not just hold a tablet up to your face and make a phone call?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA Premium App
    By the way, do you have a link to the bit about Google patenting a new slider tech? I am interested to know more about that, as it would be music to my ears!

Edit: found it.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05/01/google-patent-application-hints-at-nexus-slider/