Root Acquired successfully!

Search This thread

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
by any chance did you manage a clean backup of your rogers rom with TWRP before rooting? was hoping someone can help me get a clean backup of a non rooted rogers rom :eek:

For some reason everyone i click PDA button and select teh appropriate TAR file (one specfically for rogers) , and click start, odin just closes on me, can you please tel me why that might be? I have odin 1.85

hallo13th

Aug 8, 2012
For some reason everyone i click PDA button and select teh appropriate TAR file (one specfically for rogers) , and click start, odin just closes on me, can you please tel me why that might be? I have odin 1.85

Try a different computer yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont

Try a newer version of Odin also maybe. Never had that issue how old is your pc?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
Try a newer version of Odin also maybe. Never had that issue how old is your pc?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

the first one time i tried it was on my mac which has windows, didnt work then i tried on this 3 year old HP laptop that didnt work either, it was odin 1.85, im going to try 1.84 , lets see how that goes. Brb

BTW i have question for you, once i install the ROM using oDIN, then i go on the backup app which i downloaded on my phone, make a backup of my rom, and then i flash the superuser , how do i flash superuser, under PDA for odin the zip file doesnt show, im not to familiar with this since i am coming from apple, i would appreciate your input or some direct on where to read and understand.

Thnks again

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

the first one time i tried it was on my mac which has windows, didnt work then i tried on this 3 year old HP laptop that didnt work either, it was odin 1.85, im going to try 1.84 , lets see how that goes. Brb

BTW i have question for you, once i install the ROM using oDIN, then i go on the backup app which i downloaded on my phone, make a backup of my rom, and then i flash the superuser , how do i flash superuser, under PDA for odin the zip file doesnt show, im not to familiar with this since i am coming from apple, i would appreciate your input or some direct on where to read and understand.

Thnks again

So i tried using on 3 sepearte computers, odin3 1.85 1.84 and each time i click start is hows an ODIN has stoped working (the windows notification ) and ihave to close the program. I wonder why

Last edited:

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont

Thnks again

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

So i tried using on 3 sepearte computers, odin3 1.85 1.84 and each time i click start is hows an ODIN has stoped working (the windows notification ) and ihave to close the program. I wonder why

your going to have to find yourself a proper windows pc, make sure all Samsung usb drivers are installed also, I just install Kies for that! As for flashing supersu, its flashed via CWM or TWRP not Odin. make sure you know what your doing, don't want to see you brick your new phone m8 :eek:

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
your going to have to find yourself a proper windows pc, make sure all Samsung usb drivers are installed also, I just install Kies for that! As for flashing supersu, its flashed via CWM or TWRP not Odin. make sure you know what your doing, don't want to see you brick your new phone m8 :eek:

Hey thanks Turilo, so i got through the first step but the problem was instead of using the canadian versin of CWM, the one you made specficially, i used the other file and that flashed. Now i am having trouble making a nandroid backup, i installed GooManager , it wasnt even on the google play store, wifi installed it, and open it and there is no open script button, when i click on flash rom it say sin order to use this featuer you must have openrecoveryscript compatibily recovery, i tel it to try to find one for me and it takes me to download openrecovery-twrp 2.3.11 and the same file you have up for download, i down load it and no luck... I dont think i am doing it right, Im going to unisntall GOOmanager and try using the other one, hopefuly that works -Appreciate the good lookin turilo!

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Hey thanks Turilo, so i got through the first step but the problem was instead of using the canadian versin of CWM, the one you made specficially, i used the other file and that flashed. Now i am having trouble making a nandroid backup, i installed GooManager , it wasnt even on the google play store, wifi installed it, and open it and there is no open script button, when i click on flash rom it say sin order to use this featuer you must have openrecoveryscript compatibily recovery, i tel it to try to find one for me and it takes me to download openrecovery-twrp 2.3.11 and the same file you have up for download, i down load it and no luck... I dont think i am doing it right, Im going to unisntall GOOmanager and try using the other one, hopefuly that works -Appreciate the good lookin turilo!

So i figure it out: to enter TWRP you click volume up home and power button and when samsung logo comes up you let go of powerbutton and hold on to the other 2 buttons, that will enter you into TWRP and then from there click restore and bakup and then backup and Voila thats backedup :) Thanks Turilo., now on to the last step and do superuser, Wonder how to do that.. AHAHAH im such a n00b

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont

Well to begin i didn't make any CWM all that magic goes to Chainfire not me you got confused. after you installed the TWRP with Odin you were supposed to boot into recovery: hold volume up/home and power until it powers off and you see first boot screen then let go! then it will boot into TWRP recovery, then tap backup and let it do its thing. After that is done, assuming you have supersu0.97.zip already in your phone, you use TWRP again to install, then flash zip from sd card and browse for supersu0.97.zip, slide to flash and done. Your rooted!

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
Well to begin i didn't make any CWM all that magic goes to Chainfire not me you got confused. after you installed the TWRP with Odin you were supposed to boot into recovery: hold volume up/home and power until it powers off and you see first boot screen then let go! then it will boot into TWRP recovery, then tap backup and let it do its thing. After that is done, assuming you have supersu0.97.zip already in your phone, you use TWRP again to install, then flash zip from sd card and browse for supersu0.97.zip, slide to flash and done. Your rooted!

I never meant to give you credit for the CWM, i just appreciate you guiding me thats all! Much to respect to chainfire no doubt.

Reactions: turilo

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
I never meant to give you credit for the CWM, i just appreciate you guiding me thats all! Much to respect to chainfire no doubt.
Btw turilo are you on rogers aswell? Are the rogers galaxy note 2's unlocked bootloader? Also how does one know they have root once the zip is installed, i installed the zip and it said complete, no mention of Root and then i clicked reboot.

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
Btw turilo are you on rogers aswell? Are the rogers galaxy note 2's unlocked bootloader? Also how does one know they have root once the zip is installed, i installed the zip and it said complete, no mention of Root and then i clicked reboot.

Yes im with Rogers also im actually in need of a stock un-rooted backup, i of course backed up rooted, not that it means anything really. to check root use root checker on the market or an app that requires root like titanium backup. As for boot loaders im not 100% sure about

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
Yes im with Rogers also im actually in need of a stock un-rooted backup, i of course backed up rooted, not that it means anything really. to check root use root checker on the market or an app that requires root like titanium backup. As for boot loaders im not 100% sure about

So how can i help you , please let me know how to send you a unrooted backup, Im extremely dizzy at this point lookin at the screen for so long, you wana PM me or paste the info here, il be up in the afternoon and first thing i will do is deal with it! THanks again Turilo and the community and good night! :victory: I shall sleep well

by any chance did you manage a clean backup of your rogers rom with TWRP before rooting? was hoping someone can help me get a clean backup of a non rooted rogers rom :eek:

I simply can't get TWRP on my device. I was able to flash CWM via ODIN 1.85, but I get the same problem as others concerning TWRP. ODIN just keeps closing.

I also tried to flash TWRP via adb, but that didn't work either.

Peter

P.S. I was able to get a clean backup of my Rogers ROM with CWM before flashing SuperSU.

Addendum: SUCCESS! I was finally able to get TWRP on my device. I found a page on the Goo Manager web site with a flashable file, which you can flash in CWM. Here's the link. It's the third file ... the ZIP file.

http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/t0ltecan

Now I'm going to go all the way back and re-flash CWM, then restore my original CWM version of the original Rogers ROM, then re-flash TWRP, and then do a Nandroid before flashing SuperSU. That way, I'll have both the CWM version and the TWRP version of my original Rogers ROM.

SUCCESS! I now have TWRP working well, including my Blue Theme, and have a Nandroid of my original ROM prior to rooting. I realized afterwards that I didn't need to keep an equivalent CWM version because, if I want to go back to CWM for whatever reason, I'll simply re-flash the original ROM under TWRP, and then flash CWM, and then do a Nandroid under CWM.

I'm currently in the process of restoring a nandroid from my external SDCard. Since this device has only 16GB of internal space, I think I'll start using my 32GB external card for TWRP backups. Edit: SUCCESS again! Ahh, how nice it feels. :)

Last edited:

Kiwinadians

Oct 30, 2012
I've been looking around, and I'm curious, is it possible to get a full, stock, stock-recovery dump our entire system? I'm assuming we can make this dump by dumping through Odin, but I have not seen anyone mention this process. I'd be willing to do a full dump, I know it can be done with mobile Odin once root is acquired, but is it possible with Odin for windows pre-root?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not used to mobile devices, just nvidia based tablets, so I've mostly just used NvFlash.

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
I simply can't get TWRP on my device. I was able to flash CWM via ODIN 1.85, but I get the same problem as others concerning TWRP. ODIN just keeps closing.

I also tried to flash TWRP via adb, but that didn't work either.

Peter

P.S. I was able to get a clean backup of my Rogers ROM with CWM before flashing SuperSU.

Addendum: SUCCESS! I was finally able to get TWRP on my device. I found a page on the Goo Manager web site with a flashable file, which you can flash in CWM. Here's the link. It's the third file ... the ZIP file.

http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/t0ltecan

Now I'm going to go all the way back and re-flash CWM, then restore my original CWM version of the original Rogers ROM, then re-flash TWRP, and then do a Nandroid before flashing SuperSU. That way, I'll have both the CWM version and the TWRP version of my original Rogers ROM.

SUCCESS! I now have TWRP working well, including my Blue Theme, and have a Nandroid of my original ROM prior to rooting. I realized afterwards that I didn't need to keep an equivalent CWM version because, if I want to go back to CWM for whatever reason, I'll simply re-flash the original ROM under TWRP, and then flash CWM, and then do a Nandroid under CWM.

I'm currently in the process of restoring a nandroid from my external SDCard. Since this device has only 16GB of internal space, I think I'll start using my 32GB external card for TWRP backups. Edit: SUCCESS again! Ahh, how nice it feels. :)

Good to hear Peter!:victory: I was going to suggest you flash TWRP via cwm i had the .zip just thought Odin version would have worked for everyone guess i was wrong :eek: glad you found it yourself and provided a link :good:

Now im Wondering if you can help me out on the clean TWRP backup you made :victory: I myself forgotten to do so of my rogers Rom :silly: anyway you can zip her up and hook me up via pm maybe :cool:

ZedZardoz

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've been looking around, and I'm curious, is it possible to get a full, stock, stock-recovery dump our entire system? I'm assuming we can make this dump by dumping through Odin, but I have not seen anyone mention this process. I'd be willing to do a full dump, I know it can be done with mobile Odin once root is acquired, but is it possible with Odin for windows pre-root?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not used to mobile devices, just nvidia based tablets, so I've mostly just used NvFlash.

I too am new on the phone side. Is there an Odin dump of the stock AT&T SGN2 ROM or a process to do so? I'd love to "play" with my phone but don't want to burn any bridges along the way.

There were some posts that updates don't work after CMW/TWRP/root? Any other side effects?

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont

Ya seems Samsung hasn't decided to release the stock firmware quite yet, I myself am anxiously waiting for this! If anyone knows how to dump their stock fw via adb that be great! Im already rooted :eek:

I'll see what I can do ...

Good to hear Peter!:victory: I was going to suggest you flash TWRP via cwm i had the .zip just thought Odin version would have worked for everyone guess i was wrong :eek: glad you found it yourself and provided a link :good:

Now im Wondering if you can help me out on the clean TWRP backup you made :victory: I myself forgotten to do so of my rogers Rom :silly: anyway you can zip her up and hook me up via pm maybe :cool:

Let me put a zip file together, and I'll see what I can do. I have a feeling the file is going to be HUGE, which could take a LONG, LONG, LONG time to upload.

I'll let you know.

Peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well i took the leep on my SGH-l317m rogers/att note 2 and flashed bigbiff's twrp recovery he made for me, via odin then supersu.zip via twrp and all went well. also flashed Chainfires cwm6 recovery note2 and went well also no issues so far! :D:D:D counter does go up of course but im sure our great friend Chainfire will fix that eventually. support his work and grab triangle away pro ;D

big thanks to bigbiff and Chainfire and Oogar whom ever else involved!:good::cowboy:

UPDATE UPDATE UPADATE! Triangle away and Mobile Odin have been Updated by Chainfire and worked perfectly on i317m and i317, My Binary back 0 and Samsung official with triangle away. This still will not allow OTA its for warranty purposes only!! I'll say it again support his work m8's purchase pro version of his apps! :)

As mentioned earlier by Chainfire CF-auto root has also been released for i317m and i317.

CF-auto root http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980644 <----- Please use this method now posted by Chainfire to root your device according to model type!

QUICK GUIDE:

Flash your model of CF-Auto root via Odin using Pda tab nothing else ticked and done! ----- i317m&i317 CF-Auto-Root files are located here http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ Then flash your choice of Recovery either CWM or TWRP

Link to Odin3_v3.04 https://www.dropbox.com/s/838dbz556cgex9d/Odin3_v3.04.zip

For CWM Recovery (cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5) https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuj7caehux74h9u/cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5 Flash using Odin once again with pda only nothing else ticked!

To Install TWRP please use Goo manager app from the play store! much easier method of installation! click menu then install recovery.

Link to TWRP Recovery thread Thanks bigbiff http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1981198

Always do a backup of your rom right away within recovery first before flashing anything else!!!

What is CF-auto root?: CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Remember everyone, like Chainfire said the more people that request source code from Samsung for our devices the better!! Do it here!
    http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=inquiry

UPDATE: Also the FAST DORMANCY toggle by Gokhanmoral on the market also works stock rooted so far! :D:thumbup:
    (More stable data connection and better battery life.)

Here is the root process I took before CF-auto root was released of course:

-Reboot device to download mode: volume down/home/power wait for mode to pop up, then volume up to start
    -Open Odin and select PDA tab, Open file (cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5).
    -Connect device to PC, and wait till device successfully added to com port
    -Flash
    -Do a nand backup of your stock rom with TWRP or CWM first, than flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip.
    -Reboot and now you are rooted

Link to CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip Thanks to Chainfire http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 or
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqc2zjozjip1byg/CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip

Link to cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5 https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuj7caehux74h9u/cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5

Link to latest TWRP 2.3.2.3 t0ltecan exfat support Odin flash https://www.dropbox.com/s/obekt4l1xq38f81/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.2.3-t0ltecan.img.tar

STOCK KERNELS AND RECOVERY:

Link to Stock Recovery i317m https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1so4tyr04qrgvr/rogers.stock.recovery.img.tar.gz

Link to stock Kernel i317m-LJ2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6e6wmgsggmjdl5/StockKernel-i317m-LJ2-CWM.zip

Limk to stock recovry i317 .img https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7d4wqi4dgeg85w/i317recovery.img

Link to stock kernel i317-LJ2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/uujo7a16ikx7xy3/Kernel-i317-LJ2-CWM.zip

Backup your EFS for your note 2 this tool by i9000 credit to him! works with the note 2 sgh-I317m, ive tested only BACKUP not RESTORE!!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1922473

Also for the curious, I tried the usb JIG on my note 2 it will put it in download mode but NO counter resets i'm afraid.
    Ok, so attached there are 4 files, one set of 2 files for the i317, the other set for the i317m. There's a stock (original) kernel tar, and a root kernel tar. All of these are ODIN flashable as PDA.

The "root" variants should give you root access in "adb shell". I hope I didn't mess it up, as I have no way to test.

I need a previously completely unrooted and unflashed device (no custom kernel, no custom recovery like CWM/TWRP, etc) user, on both the i317 and the i317m, to flash the correct "root" variant, boot into Android, start an adb shell, and execute this command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/storage/extSdCard/recovery.img bs=4096

You should end up with a recovery.img file on the external sd card of about 8 MB. Please post this file!

You can flash back the stock variant afterwards. Your flash counter will be one, but thanks to your help, we will soon have Triangle Away for your device :)

PS: I also still need a Mobile ODIN dump file for the i317 (non-m). Install Mobile ODIN Lite from the Mobile ODIN thread and it should ask you to make a dump.
    I'm preparing an ODIN Dump File as we speak. I'll let you know how and where to get it when it's done. Any idea how big these files are?

A Mobile ODIN dump file is only a few KB, small enough to email or pastebin (its just text, be sure to let the pastebin expire quickly, or manually remove IMEI from the dump). Takes long to generate due to some legacy stuff (timeconsuming way to get some information on old devices) but the result is small. I guess I should fix that sometime ;)
    at&t stock recovery (i317) attached to this post...

Why does the phone take longer to wake up? It's an oddity of the exynos processor. Every device I've seen with exynos takes almost a full second (more like 800ms) to wake up from deep sleep.

Another random amusement: Being I had a root forced kernel, I figured I'd "root" the device manually. (remount /system, copy su and superuser.apk into place and manually set perms.) I have to say that doing it this way is actually easier than getting an odin image, mounting the system partition via loopback, inserting root, etc.
    More ...

Yes I am very green! I am assuming these instructions applies to AT&T/Rogers variants?

About backups...

1) I also hear about EFS backup. Is this done after rooted? Or prior to root?
    2) Once I am in CWM-recovery, I can use 'openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.1-t0ltecan' to do a Nand backup?
    2) Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Titanimum Backup serves a different purpose than CWM?

Sorry for all these noob questions, I would like to cover all my bases and clarify everything prior to diving into this.

Thank you for all the patience!!

Yes, the instructions apply to all AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus variants.

Backing up your EFS can be done in several ways, although, in your case, it would be easiest AFTER you're rooted.

Once you're in CWM-Recovery, you can then flash the TWRP-Recovery zip file. However, if you're only interested in doing a Nandroid backup, that can be done from CWM-Recovery or TWRP-Recovery. CWM and TWRP are both Recoveries, and you can have ONLY one recovery on your device at a time.. Some people prefer to use CWM, while others prefer TWRP.

Titanium Backup is an entirely different beast. It has nothing to do with any kind of recovery.

Peter

By the way, if a member helps you, it's always nice to click on the "Thanks" button at the bottom left of each post. :)