[S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC One XL

Search This thread

djsikhbeatsz

Dec 13, 2007
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Got S-Off on my device...just had a few questions, hoping someone can help me out with though...
  1. Do I still need to flash the boot.img file with the new roms I flash, or should I be good without it now?
  2. My HTC Splashscreen still has the disclaimer, should this be gone with S-Off or is that a different issue?

Thanks for your help guys! XDA Devs are the best!

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
Re: [S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC Devices One S, One XL, Droid DNA

Got S-Off on my device...just had a few questions, hoping someone can help me out with though...
  1. Do I still need to flash the boot.img file with the new roms I flash, or should I be good without it now?
  2. My HTC Splashscreen still has the disclaimer, should this be gone with S-Off or is that a different issue?

Thanks for your help guys! XDA Devs are the best!

1 yes
2 different issue

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

HOXL successful s-off here. Painless. Thanks again!

djsikhbeatsz

Dec 13, 2007
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
1 yes
2 different issue

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

HOXL successful s-off here. Painless. Thanks again!

Thanks, also for some reason i seem to have lost data after i got s-off. Would you happen to know why or how to get it back

Edit: Nvm toggled my APN and got data back!

Last edited:

esaloch

Dec 13, 2012
Bloomington
On CM 10.1 make sure you go to Developer Options and set the Root access to either ADB only or Apps and ADB. Also on CM 10.1 the command to get the model id
Code:
sudo ./adb shell getprop ro.aa.modelid
should be
Code:
sudo ./adb shell getprop ro.boot.mid

If your phone asks you if you always want to allow this computer (I forget what the exact dialog box says) its much easier if you say yes.

mikelebz

Aug 18, 2010
phone seems to default to WCDMA upon reboot after s-off...not sure if it is independent of this or not. Other experiences?

flightsimmer

Oct 6, 2011
St. Louis, MO
phone seems to default to WCDMA upon reboot after s-off...not sure if it is independent of this or not. Other experiences?

Weird thing is that before I S-OFF'd, I wasn't able to disable LTE on CM10.1. Now that I have, I was able to immediately switch to GSM/WCDMA preferred without issue. No more dead battery due to low LTE signal, but high H+ signal!

ttcrew

May 18, 2011
Denver Area
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)

I blew it the first time - didn't have my CM10.1 device set to allow root for ADB and apps - kept getting "permission denied". Only after rebooting and trying again did I get "FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)" instead of the “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)” error I'm SUPPOSED to get...

Any resolution? I tried again, but same error...and no, it doesn't work anyway...

Any guidance would be appreciated!

stumpy352

Sep 20, 2011
Re: [S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC Devices One S, One XL, Droid DNA

So can anyone confirm he this will work on 2.14 hboot & 3.17 firmware. Only had it 3 days. Haven't unlocked or rooted yet, but want to get my processes in order so I can do it all at once.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

ttcrew

May 18, 2011
Denver Area
Trying to do adb shell and getting "error: device offline"

CM10.1, also tried rebooting.

"adb devices" also says "offline" but shows my serial number

I had the same problem - I ended up having to update my adb version - went to the "android" app in Platform-tools and ran the update - next time I tried adb it asked to approve some security keys and then worked just fine...

mrjayviper

Sep 6, 2012
So can anyone confirm he this will work on 2.14 hboot & 3.17 firmware. Only had it 3 days. Haven't unlocked or rooted yet, but want to get my processes in order so I can do it all at once.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

you need superCID first and from what I've searched, doesn't seemed available on the XL.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

to those who were successful in getting s-off, can you please state if you're on AT&T or the international One XL? thanks :)

mikelebz

Aug 18, 2010
I'm having this issue as well. I can go into the phone info menu and make it LTE/GSM/WCDMA but doesn't stick after reboot. Wondering if it's my rom? (I'm on AOKP 4.2.2).

so it looks like it's not just me. I hope there is a fix for this. How are others' experiences. I am on AOKP 4.1.2 and he is on AOKP 4.2.2 other rom experiences?

KitWasHere

Jun 29, 2012
the second command in step 8 didn't return anything, should i just keep going through with it? Everything was fine until now. Running CM10.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNswkPGYtLc

note: updated 2/20 @ 9:20 EST, better ICS compatibility.

Welcome to Facepalm S-Off for the HTC One XL.

Credits and terms:

Exploit by beaups. Full guide, testing, and concept by jcase and beaups. Thanks to dsb9938 and dr_drache for support and testing. Thanks also to all of the regulars at teamandirc.

Both beaups and jcase will collect the applicable active bounties. Further donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to:

beaups - Donate to beaups
    jcase - Donate to jcase
    dsb9938 - Donate to dsb9938
    dr_drache - Donate to dr_drache

You can also come by irc for support or just to say thanks: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

While this process shouldn’t be too risky, bricks can happen. None of us will be accountable. If you are worried, don’t do it.

This is a pretty simple method, however, you will need to have a working adb and fastboot environment. This method will work on any operating system that supports adb and fastboot. You should understand how to use a terminal window in your O/S. If you don’t understand adb and fastboot, you probably don’t need S-off.

Lastly, the work herein should not be stolen, repackaged, one clicked, bat’d, etc. soffbin3 is not GPL and may not be reused, integrated into other work, reposted, or redistributed without our permission.

For this to work, you must be rooted and have superCID (unlock/custom recovery is optional), see the threads below for help and information regarding obtaining superCID, unlock, root, etc. Note these threads are provided for convenience only. Please look for support for them in each respective thread if you need it, do NOT clutter this thread with support requests regarding obtaining superCID and/or root! If you try this process without superCID, it will not work, and you may have issues!:

HTC One XL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952038 (2.2)

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
    soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f, Mirror

3.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    (wait for bootloader)

4.)
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    (wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
    After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
    fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):

Code:
    adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
    adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"

(wait for a few seconds)

8.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

Enjoy.
    Fix for error 99, that doesn't involve flashing roms hoping it solves the problem:

fastboot oem writecid 11111111
    power down completely, go to fastboot
    continue from the fastboot oem rebootRUU command

thans attn1 and jcase for the help
    Ok folks thanks to c5satelite and other helpful folks at S OFF PARTY AND IRC we figured out how to fix this whole "error 99" shenanigans.

Step 1. Download the latest stockish ROM (I used Viper 3.2.3)

Step 2. Boot into bootloader and fastboot flash the kernel.. then reboot back into recovery

Step 3. Wipe /system and factory reset in TWRP

Step 4. Install rom in TWRP

Step 5. For *Viper Only* Don't wipe in Aroma, and uncheck reboot at the end.

Step 6. Reboot into bootloader from recovery (Don't boot into the ROM)

Step 7. Follow the instructions in the OP to a T ... read reread.. go get some coffee.. and try again.. hopefully you see Error 92 and not 99

This worked for me with ViperROM on hboot 2.14

Thank you to all the folks involved you guys are rockstars from Mars! :highfive:
    For those with PJ8310000 Model IDs, do it anyway. That zip works regardless of One X/XL Model ID.
    I tried it and am now S-Off'd. My Model ID is PJ8310000.

Also, thanks so much to those involved!!
    we will add more hoxl model id's and zips shortly