Car mode triggered

Search This thread

hox37

Dec 24, 2007
Finally find out how the car mode is triggerd
short circuit the ID Pin of the micro usb conector to any other pin will make my phone into Car mode and the car panel will popup if installed.
The ID-Pin is the 4th pin of the conector wich is the 2nd from left when desire facing up. Since the pc end of a data cable doesn't have the ID-pin, it won't work like this thread said
xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6519276&postcount=10
Ok went into the workshop and stripped the desire usb lead, I tried every combo of pulling the data lines to ground even both together, the installed navigator.apk didnt kick in :( , but looking at a reatime system dump i could see usbconnected and type(0) , type (1), type(2) had been triggered, on the differnt combo's i tested, why its not kicking in is anyones guess, maybe cas the Incredible navigator.apk is strictly configured for that device, guess the Incredibles navigators.apk has to be recompiled with new settings !!
can someone confirm that

hox37

Dec 24, 2007
yes, just like my car charger did, even when the charger is not pluged in the car lighter.

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
i think the menu is hidden by htc as the desire does not have the copper pins at the bottom like the nexus 1. hence the nexus 1 car dock wont work on the desire. the nexus one can be charged with the pins and does not need the micro usb for car dock chargings / docking. i guess the car dock software options shown on the desire by accessing the settings widgets are a hangover from the similar software on the nexus 1 hence hidden on the desire by htc.

i have the car dock app installed (dont remember from where though) and it works fine instead with navigation / voice search icons etc.

sorch

Jul 12, 2010
i think the menu is hidden by htc as the desire does not have the copper pins at the bottom like the nexus 1. hence the nexus 1 car dock wont work on the desire. the nexus one can be charged with the pins and does not need the micro usb for car dock chargings / docking. i guess the car dock software options shown on the desire by accessing the settings widgets are a hangover from the similar software on the nexus 1 hence hidden on the desire by htc.

i have the car dock app installed (dont remember from where though) and it works fine instead with navigation / voice search icons etc.

HTC is coming out with their own car dock. That is why their 2.2 ROM has the necessary support for it.

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=199788

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
HTC is coming out with their own car dock. That is why their 2.2 ROM has the necessary support for it.

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=199788

something like that has been on th expansys and other websites since april / may onwards! so i wouldnt take that too seriously till it actually arrives and car dock works when docking.

at present i use the car dock app which has to be triggered manually but works fine. i use it with the car mode app.

lukzke

Jan 3, 2008
Yesterday i was driving with the car charger inserted in the Desire, when i was moving the cable sometimes the Desire gave a little car icon and my NavApp was activated. Sow i think i has something to do with the 4th pin, and you don't need a certan resistor attatch to it to get it in a certain mode.

sorch

Jul 12, 2010
something like that has been on th expansys and other websites since april / may onwards! so i wouldnt take that too seriously till it actually arrives and car dock works when docking.

That is probably because it needs 2.2 to to work properly. That's why the timing just happens to be after the release of said ROM.

Seems very overpriced if all it does is hold and charge the phone + short some pins together to enable car mode. Seems like anyone could make something to do that.

space1471

Feb 23, 2007
I some how triggered car mode on my desire yesterday. It must have been as I inserted the charger as I pulled away so may have shorted a pin. but went to car doc mode and had car symbol on status bar and I had to push to exit even after unplugging charger. I have not been able to replicate this since.

Geeba

Nov 12, 2008
Since Froyo update I keep getting the car icon in the task bar when I plug the charger in... :confused:

mar3k

May 26, 2008
Yes, more details please. Would be interesting if I can modify a Brodit active charger..
I also bought an active Brodit charger and it doesn't seem to trigger the car mode, so I am curious if it would be possible to modify to charger in order to achieve this.
Edit: I just sent an email to Brodit and asked them if its possible. Let's see what their answer will be. I post it asap.

Last edited:

charon72

Dec 29, 2005
Last edited: