[OFFICIAL][KDA20.62-10.1][KitKat 4.4.2] Rooting Progress Thread

Search This thread

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
I thought it would be a great idea to create a new thread for KitKat root tracking/progress, etc. As the other KitKat threads have become a jumbled mess. Post any legitimate root ideas and/or progress here. I'm particularly fond of SamuriHL's theory which will require obtaining the official KitKat FXZ which should be out any day now.

I'll probably regret posting this information. LOL. However, those having trouble taking the OTA, I recommend the following:

o) Download my House of Moto from here: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto-20/ (WARNING: make sure to READ FULLY)
o) Grab this FXZ: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=5&file=75
o) Set up the House of Moto according to the instructions, including running the FXZ Script Generator to generate the scripts
o) Flash the UNIVERSAL script...this will keep your data
o) Sideload Blur_Version.9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip (E20598EBD6370B64584A12DCA6307181) or wait for the OTA to push

I have a theory on how to upgrade keeping root on locked devices, but, it will only work for people who have NOT taken the soak or OTA builds. We also need the FXZ which we're still waiting on to do it. The idea is that on 9.30.1 you can install root and SafeStrap, flash a modified system partition pull that maintains root in SafeStrap to your stock slot, IMMEDIATELY shut down and boot into AP Fastboot mode, and RSD flash a special script with the new FXZ to update all the partitions except GPT, TZ, and SYSTEM. That will give you rooted KK on a locked phone with the ability to downgrade back to 9.30.1 if you get in trouble.

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
I can't take credit for the idea. It's been done on the S4 where @Surge1223 has created this method for them using ODIN and a safestrap package to keep SU while upgrading. I figured the same theory could apply to the RAZR HD and M once we get the FXZ. But there are a few assumptions I've made that have to be tested first. One - that using my UNIVERSAL script to upgrade to KK, you can still downgrade back to 9.30.1 on a locked phone. The UNIVERSAL script leaves out the TZ and GPT partitions, which can't be downgraded once flashed. So, as the theory goes, you should be able to flash back to 9.30.1, root, install safestrap, flash the system partition that maintains root for KK, and then flash the rest of the partitions using a modified RSD script that leaves out TZ, GPT, and SYSTEM. The other thing we need to test is being able to flash system to the stock slot on safestrap. I'm guessing it works since it does for other phones, but, I'm not 100% positive. If it does, we'll need a system pull from an unlocked and rooted KK user so we can create the SS flash package. The RSD script I can do in 30 seconds once we get the new FXZ. I do not have any Moto phones left except my Bionic so I can't do the testing. This will be a collaborative effort to get this to work for locked users. (Tested on an unlocked phone first to make sure everything's worked out, then tested on a brave locked user).

spapesh

Nov 8, 2013
After you test on an unlocked phone, I would gladly try it out.
I am locked.

I can't take credit for the idea. It's been done on the S4 where @Surge1223 has created this method for them using ODIN and a safestrap package to keep SU while upgrading. I figured the same theory could apply to the RAZR HD and M once we get the FXZ. But there are a few assumptions I've made that have to be tested first. One - that using my UNIVERSAL script to upgrade to KK, you can still downgrade back to 9.30.1 on a locked phone. The UNIVERSAL script leaves out the TZ and GPT partitions, which can't be downgraded once flashed. So, as the theory goes, you should be able to flash back to 9.30.1, root, install safestrap, flash the system partition that maintains root for KK, and then flash the rest of the partitions using a modified RSD script that leaves out TZ, GPT, and SYSTEM. The other thing we need to test is being able to flash system to the stock slot on safestrap. I'm guessing it works since it does for other phones, but, I'm not 100% positive. If it does, we'll need a system pull from an unlocked and rooted KK user so we can create the SS flash package. The RSD script I can do in 30 seconds once we get the new FXZ. I do not have any Moto phones left except my Bionic so I can't do the testing. This will be a collaborative effort to get this to work for locked users. (Tested on an unlocked phone first to make sure everything's worked out, then tested on a brave locked user).

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
For what its worth to any developers... Decompile the smartactionsFW apk and take a look through some of those smali files... If there's a possible root exploit it's bound to be in there. I also tried to decompile the PawnMyMoto apk (old root exploit) and gave it the same android manifest details as the Qualcomm Privit Init apk but it was a no go on the install. I'll keep trying more things..

Reactions: cpslim and ajent

TWong1200

Nov 13, 2010
I have an extra HD with an unlocked bootloader but bad sim tray that I'd be glad to test with. Although unlocked, it should still work as a test bed, at least I think

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MarcusWhite

Jun 25, 2013
Chattanooga
Here are my two questions:

What are the chances of acquiring the fxz?

And...

What are the odds of a root exploit coming from this?

I weighing whether or not I'm going to take the ota. The only thing I do with root is freeze the bloat. I'm not sure if I'm willing to give that up though...

MarcusWhite

Jun 25, 2013
Chattanooga
Oh, I see. So the fxz files are actually released by Motorola. Then I guess its worth waiting a little while then.

Its getting harder and harder to keep up with terminology these days... I always been a laymen with this stuff, but I used to at least be able to fool myself into thinking I knew a little bit. For what its worth, I made a hello world app on my droid x2 once... Haha.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
The RAZR M FXZ for this update has been leaked. The RAZR HD can't be far behind hopefully. With the FXZ I'm HOPING to put together a way to update from 9.30.1 using safestrap to update the system partition from a dump and the FXZ to flash all but the tz, gpt_main0, and system partitions to update the rest. It's just a theory right now but with the FXZ's coming it should be possible to test.

Reactions: cpslim and ajent

spapesh

Nov 8, 2013
The RAZR M FXZ for this update has been leaked. The RAZR HD can't be far behind hopefully. With the FXZ I'm HOPING to put together a way to update from 9.30.1 using safestrap to update the system partition from a dump and the FXZ to flash all but the tz, gpt_main0, and system partitions to update the rest. It's just a theory right now but with the FXZ's coming it should be possible to test.

Are the files here the FXZs? http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=5

killrhythm09

May 3, 2011
California
Cool, just wanted to make sure.

I'm kind of torn on whether I want to do that once the fxz is out or wait for the kernel source to be released since I really like TWRP. Will CM work with the new bootloader or do they need the kernel source for that also?

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
There's a build of CM out there for KK, but, you have to make sure you get the new build.

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
The RAZR M FXZ for this update has been leaked. The RAZR HD can't be far behind hopefully. With the FXZ I'm HOPING to put together a way to update from 9.30.1 using safestrap to update the system partition from a dump and the RT FXZ to flash all but the tz, gpt_main0, and system partitions to update the rest. It's just a theory right now but with the FXZ's coming it should be possible to test.

Saw you posting in the RAZR m thread too.. You're a dedicated guy, Samuri I can't wait to see if this root method works. I'm staying on 9.30.1 until some form of root is found, but what I like even more about your plan is that we'd be able to FXZ back to JB 9.30.1 if needed.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
It won't. Someone already tested the base theory and it failed. So you guys will have to wait and hope for a native root exploit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
It won't. Someone already tested the base theory and it failed. So you guys will have to wait and hope for a native root exploit.

Back in the day with my Motorola Bravo I was able to take a disk dump of /system, mount that under linux, add in su and the apk, properly chmod it all, and from then on I had a prerooted sbf that I use to flash it to stock to this day, though it never worked for any phone other than mine.

Defy had a similar method using two modified sbfs to get root on its newest BL7 bootloader.

Whatever the case, with the old Moto phones, if a non rooted phone could get a /system dump, that dump could be rooted and flashed back to the phone safely because the proper security crap got set on the first boot and baked into the dump. I'm not sure it that works with the newer phones or not....or if they can even successfully dump /system anymore.

EDIT:
And I'm half tempted to flash my unlocked Atrix HD with stock Droid RAZR HD firmware to take the KK OTA....if it didn't have that different bootloader I already would have....something about having a working Lapdock with KitKat is just very tempting.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pretty much. I simply have dedicated time and effort into serving the Android community. Even though I don't own a moto device any more I pass on my knowledge so that the community may be a better place. I can be a little harsh with people at times but that is generally only when they're lazy and refuse to read... One of my pet peeves. I was taught by some of the great people in the moto community and feel that knowledge should be shared. I also feel that in order to protect the ability to root going forward, unlocking is the best way. When I see an opportunity for you guys like the one we have here, I'm not going to stop until they patch the exploit. I want every phone out there unlocked simply on principle.

To bring this thread back on point, you all should be paying attention to this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Might I suggest that if it does work, and it could, that you might want to consider kicking in on that bounty to help out your cause. If you get 4.4.3, you want those guys motivated to keep doing this kind of work.
    I thought it would be a great idea to create a new thread for KitKat root tracking/progress, etc. As the other KitKat threads have become a jumbled mess. Post any legitimate root ideas and/or progress here. I'm particularly fond of SamuriHL's theory which will require obtaining the official KitKat FXZ which should be out any day now.

I'll probably regret posting this information. LOL. However, those having trouble taking the OTA, I recommend the following:

o) Download my House of Moto from here: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto-20/ (WARNING: make sure to READ FULLY)
    o) Grab this FXZ: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=5&file=75
    o) Set up the House of Moto according to the instructions, including running the FXZ Script Generator to generate the scripts
    o) Flash the UNIVERSAL script...this will keep your data
    o) Sideload Blur_Version.9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip (E20598EBD6370B64584A12DCA6307181) or wait for the OTA to push

I have a theory on how to upgrade keeping root on locked devices, but, it will only work for people who have NOT taken the soak or OTA builds. We also need the FXZ which we're still waiting on to do it. The idea is that on 9.30.1 you can install root and SafeStrap, flash a modified system partition pull that maintains root in SafeStrap to your stock slot, IMMEDIATELY shut down and boot into AP Fastboot mode, and RSD flash a special script with the new FXZ to update all the partitions except GPT, TZ, and SYSTEM. That will give you rooted KK on a locked phone with the ability to downgrade back to 9.30.1 if you get in trouble.
    If you guys make/get a 4.4.2 rooted system backup then please PM me before you try to install it...theres somethings that need to be removed/edited from the system backup (it will still flash fine, but wont boot up...it will hang on splash) so to avoid issues its better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app