Advice on upgrading to this phone with At&t

Search This thread

Kinotsu

Jan 24, 2013
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to the HTC One m8, and I was ready to terminate my current 2 year phone contract with At&T since I'm only 4 months away, I don't mind paying 125$ ETF, until I found out I still wouldn't be able to upgrade even if I payed my ETF. I thought it would let me upgrade early. But anyways, I'm looking for a loophole to get this new phone with a 2 year contract. What would be the best way? Could I terminate my contract and pay an ETF and then start up a new line with a new number and get the HTC one m8 on there? I don't mind losing my number but I do have unlimited data and don't want to lose that.

What if I were to cancel a family members line on my account, make them switch their number, and then start up a new line, upgrade to the m8 on the new line with the new number, and then take the HTC One m8 and switch sim cards with my phone? That way I still have my number and unlimited data and the new phone and then my family member would use the new line instead of me. Would that work?

Last edited:

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to the HTC One m8, and I was ready to terminate my current 2 year phone contract with At&T since I'm only 4 months away, I don't mind paying 125$ ETF, until I found out I still wouldn't be able to upgrade even if I payed my ETF. I thought it would let me upgrade early. But anyways, I'm looking for a loophole to get this new phone with a 2 year contract. What would be the best way? Could I terminate my contract and pay an ETF and then start up a new line with a new number and get the HTC one m8 on there? I don't mind losing my number but I do have unlimited data and don't want to lose that.

What if I were to cancel a family members line on my account, make them switch their number, and then start up a new line, upgrade to the m8 on the new line with the new number, and then take the HTC One m8 and switch sim cards with my phone? That way I still have my number and unlimited data and the new phone and then my family member would use the new line instead of me. Would that work?

Call 611 and say you want the new phone for contract price, or you will take your business elsewhere where they will pay your etf.

slappula

Oct 13, 2013
Look into the Next program. When you factor in the monthly discount on your bill, it's a pretty good deal. Right now they'll let you out of a two-year contract to get you on Next.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Kinotsu

Jan 24, 2013
Look into the Next program. When you factor in the monthly discount on your bill, it's a pretty good deal. Right now they'll let you out of a two-year contract to get you on Next.

Don't you have to pay around 32$ extra a month? Since your paying monthly fees for the actual cost of the phone, not to mention I would lose my unlimited data.

takylo

Mar 29, 2010
Raleigh
Don't you have to pay around 32$ extra a month? Since your paying monthly fees for the actual cost of the phone, not to mention I would lose my unlimited data.

You are correct about the NEXT program. You will definitely lose your unlimited data, they will NOT grandfather into that plan with UL data.

Blueoval24

Sep 26, 2009
Arizona
My contract wasn't due for renewal until this November but since I bought the phone on launch day, they gave me a free upgrade (only paid 199 with a 2 year contract renewal) . So there are definitely signs that AT&T will negotiate, but you'll have to find the right terms. As someone mentioned, you may want to give them a call and say you are thinking about switching carriers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Incorrect. You will not lose your unlimited data. I got on AT&T NEXT without losing unlimited. I decided to willingly change after the fact because it was way too expensive with my nationwide plan. And turns out I don't use more than about 3 GB data a month anyways. But you can absolutely keep your unlimited data, you just must be explicit about it when you are in the store. Tell them you'll lose it if they change your data plan, and they will listen :) hopefully.... Haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8

slappula

Oct 13, 2013
I held in to unlimited for a long time, but they throttle after a certain limit anyway (5 gig)? Looking at my usage, the mobile share made much more sense. It wasn't that way when they first introduced the program, but it makes sense now (for me at least).

Android The Greek

Mar 7, 2012
New Castle
May be cheaper to sell your existing phone and pay the difference. I always find a good trade on Craig's list.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app