New purchase and future development

Search This thread

daevoq

Jan 12, 2010
Hi guys,
I’d like to buy the Moto G to replace my Galaxy S I9000. I know pretty well the phone’s specs but before buying it I need to satisfy a doubt about. Since I had my first Android phone (HTC G1) I’ve changed a ROM a week :D, so it’s very important for me to have a phone that could have a long-term support from this community. I know that Nexus 5 (or the unavailable “4” ) could be the right choice for this purpose but I need to save some money and Moto G is cheaper than these ones.
So my question is if, in your opinion, Moto G will receive some Android future versions (Why not Android 5? :p ) and if It will be unofficially (Cyanogen, Aokp, Paranoid,etc..) or officially supported (since Lenovo bought Motorola, so without official Google support) . I know it’s an hard question but I’m scared by Lenovo acquirement and I won’t have a paperweight-phone in one year.
Does developers have all the tools (kernel source and all the things they need) to make future updates works on this device right now? I’d like to have a your prevision(also technical) about it .Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my English but I’m Italian.

OrionBG

Sep 21, 2004
London, UK
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Hi guys,
I’d like to buy the Moto G to replace my Galaxy S I9000. I know pretty well the phone’s specs but before buying it I need to satisfy a doubt about. Since I had my first Android phone (HTC G1) I’ve changed a ROM a week :D, so it’s very important for me to have a phone that could have a long-term support from this community. I know that Nexus 5 (or the unavailable “4” ) could be the right choice for this purpose but I need to save some money and Moto G is cheaper than these ones.
So my question is if, in your opinion, Moto G will receive some Android future versions (Why not Android 5? :p ) and if It will be unofficially (Cyanogen, Aokp, Paranoid,etc..) or officially supported (since Lenovo bought Motorola, so without official Google support) . I know it’s an hard question but I’m scared by Lenovo acquirement and I won’t have a paperweight-phone in one year.
Does developers have all the tools (kernel source and all the things they need) to make future updates works on this device right now? I’d like to have a your prevision(also technical) about it .Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my English but I’m Italian.

If you ask me, 4.4.2 will be the last official major update for this phone. Hope I'm not right but time will tell. There are already some custom ROMs around and I'm sure that there will be more in the future...

daevoq

Jan 12, 2010
If your'e worried about something so trivial, just stick with the S, no worries.

I don't want to be polemical at all..i think are tastes..i like to "play" with my devices so for me is not so trivial have futur roms and updates from community.. since i have to spend my money i want torneo spend it in a good way!:)

By the way thanks for answers!:) i'd like recieve also technical information!:)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9000 utilizzando Tapatalk

daevoq

Jan 12, 2010
I don't want to be polemical at all..i think are tastes..i like to "play" with my devices so for me is not so trivial have future roms and updates from community.. since i have to spend my money i want to spend it in a good way!:)

daevoq

Jan 12, 2010
Sorry tapatalk's double post!-_-

nickchk

May 11, 2013
a success of an android device future development lies in number of users. the more number of user,the greater chance it will have excellent support from community of xda.
like ur i9100 (big number of user),s2 or even galaxy ace can have 4.4.2 because of the large community.
moto g launch in so many countries(usa,china,india,asia,europe),it could be one of biggest number of android user ,added with open-source of qualcomm and GPE of moto g,it will definitely can past 4.4.2 kitkat.

Reactions: daevoq

theoneofgod

Dec 1, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
I don't want to be polemical at all..i think are tastes..i like to "play" with my devices so for me is not so trivial have futur roms and updates from community.. since i have to spend my money i want torneo spend it in a good way!:)

I like to "play" too but that's the point, it doesn't get official 4.5 and we get a custom 4.5, and we "play" with it. It's the same with the S yes?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
1) The bootloader unlock policy is MUCH better with the GPe variant. Get it if you can.
2) This is a fairly vanilla Qualcomm-based device, which is great for AOSP-derived firmwares thanks to Qualcomm's reference source at CodeAurora (CAF). Biggest issue so far has been that it's one of the first MSM8226-based devices out there, so there has been a bit of a learning curve so far for everyone working on the device.

daevoq

Jan 12, 2010
I like to "play" too but that's the point, it doesn't get official 4.5 and we get a custom 4.5, and we "play" with it. It's the same with the S yes?

i don't care official update.. i'd like to recieve custom next version:)! yes.. it's the same with I9000.

1) The bootloader unlock policy is MUCH better with the GPe variant. Get it if you can.
2) This is a fairly vanilla Qualcomm-based device, which is great for AOSP-derived firmwares thanks to Qualcomm's reference source at CodeAurora (CAF). Biggest issue so far has been that it's one of the first MSM8226-based devices out there, so there has been a bit of a learning curve so far for everyone working on the device.

i can't get GPe variant since is too difficult to get it in italy..:( great informations about cpu base.. that is what i need to know!
if I'm not mistaken we have kernel source right?

By the way bought it a few hours ago!:D really great device for that price! Thanks a lot for all of your answers.. ill' post some little question later about processors and stuff!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

If you ask me, 4.4.2 will be the last official major update for this phone. Hope I'm not right but time will tell. There are already some custom ROMs around and I'm sure that there will be more in the future...
    If your'e worried about something so trivial, just stick with the S, no worries.
    a success of an android device future development lies in number of users. the more number of user,the greater chance it will have excellent support from community of xda.
    like ur i9100 (big number of user),s2 or even galaxy ace can have 4.4.2 because of the large community.
    moto g launch in so many countries(usa,china,india,asia,europe),it could be one of biggest number of android user ,added with open-source of qualcomm and GPE of moto g,it will definitely can past 4.4.2 kitkat.