[How To] Return AT&T HTC One M8 To Stock

Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
If you ever wanted to return to stock, OTA is not the method I would recommend. RUU is easier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: mindmajick

BR7fan

Jun 18, 2013
Sioux City, IA
OK... Here is my problem.

I rooted and did all the stuff required,except for S-off.
I did a TWRP back up while rooted of my whole system. I was going to use that back up to restore.
My problem is that when TWRP wiped,my root went with it. Now TWRP will not install my back up.
I have checked for Nandroids for my ATT M8 in this thread,but they all say access denied.

I have access to my TWRP recovery.I just need to know how get my phone running again. Please and thank you.

mindmajick

Account currently disabled

I did a TWRP back up while rooted of my whole system. I was going to use that back up to restore.
My problem is that when TWRP wiped,my root went with it. Now TWRP will not install my back up.
I have checked for Nandroids for my ATT M8 in this thread,but they all say access denied.

I have access to my TWRP recovery.I just need to know how get my phone running again. Please and thank you.
You should be able to use adb sideload from advanced in twrp. As long as you have adb access on your PC, that is.

Reactions: BR7fan

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

What happens if you just try to move a stock rooted or custom ROM to the phone and flash it (or sideload as recommened in the previous response)?

Reactions: BR7fan

scott500

Aug 26, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Return HTC One M8 to stock

http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/general/att-1-58-501-1-bootable-ruu-hboot-t2818556

It seems like this is about the easiest way to return your device back to stock. It's a bootable file you just copy to your phone.

From what I read... it does a factory restore, puts back stock recovery and hboot. I think thats pretty much a unrooted factory fresh device leaving s-off.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope it helps...

irmq8i

Jun 29, 2012
Kuwait City
I used this guide to restore my HTC One M8 from GPE back to Sense

Mine wasn't AT&T though but you can follow same steps and download the nandroid and recovery from the nandroid collection thread!

THANKS!

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/general/att-1-58-501-1-bootable-ruu-hboot-t2818556

It seems like this is about the easiest way to return your device back to stock. It's a bootable file you just copy to your phone.

From what I read... it does a factory restore, puts back stock recovery and hboot. I think thats pretty much a unrooted factory fresh device leaving s-off.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed. Although you would still need to change the UNLOCKED flag to LOCKED as noted in the top post of this thread.

dressanderc

Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
Alright, gentlemen, I need an opinion. My duo camera on my AT&T M8 has completely died, and I want to file a warranty claim with HTC. My phone was S-Off, Rooted, and SuperCID was set. I've done the following:

1. Stock firmware/ROM from Nandroid has been flashed - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376
2. CID has been set to CWS_001 (I believe this is the OEM CID, as I didn't take note of it before setting SuperCID)
3. Tampered & Unlocked banners have been removed. Now I just have a Locked banner
4. Stock recovery has been flashed.
5. Used SuperSU to "Unroot" the device.

Anyone think I'd have any issues getting this thing swapped out?

EDIT: Chatted with AT&T's live support, and they are sending a replacement device. Under their Terms and Agreements, there was nothing listed about being responsible for s-off devices or possibly rooted (even though I've taken every measure to undo that). Should be here 4-6 days. I'll keep you updated on what they do as far as possibly charging me.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Chatted with AT&T's live support, and they are sending a replacement device. Under their Terms and Agreements, there was nothing listed about being responsible for s-off devices or possibly rooted (even though I've taken every measure to undo that). Should be here 4-6 days. I'll keep you updated on what they do as far as possibly charging me.

There used to be a statement about warranty not covering any device with "modified software" or some such language. But I actually can't find it now, and they only make mention of devices with physical or water damage being "ineligible" so it seems like they have changed the terms.

In any case, in actual practice, AT&T doesn't give a poo whether the device is bootloader unlocked, S-off, rooted, etc. for the purposes of warranty service for a hardware issue. There have been many reports on XDA of folks returning various devices with root, unlocked bootloaders, S-off, even custom ROMs installed. I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting warranty service denied by AT&T due to mods. Of course it makes sense to return the phone to as close to stock as much as possible before returning "just in case". But the fact of the matter, if you are an AT&T account holder, those nice monthly service bills are worth more to them than the modest cost of a refurbed phone. This seems to be in direct contradiction to AT&T's present stance on locking bootloaders and apparently discouraging modding and rooting. But maybe it just makes more financial and logistical sense for them to enforce prevention on the front end, rather than on the warranty side.

Returning to HTC is a vastly different matter, as they can and often have denied warranty on modded phones. So anyone who has the AT&T version and is an active AT&T customer should go through AT&T for warranty service when needed.

dressanderc

Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
There used to be a statement about warranty not covering any device with "modified software" or some such language. But I actually can't find it now, and they only make mention of devices with physical or water damage being "ineligible" so it seems like they have changed the terms.

In any case, in actual practice, AT&T doesn't give a poo whether the device is bootloader unlocked, S-off, rooted, etc. for the purposes of warranty service for a hardware issue. There have been many reports on XDA of folks returning various devices with root, unlocked bootloaders, S-off, even custom ROMs installed. I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting warranty service denied by AT&T due to mods. Of course it makes sense to return the phone to as close to stock as much as possible before returning "just in case". But the fact of the matter, if you are an AT&T account holder, those nice monthly service bills are worth more to them than the modest cost of a refurbed phone. This seems to be in direct contradiction to AT&T's present stance on locking bootloaders and apparently discouraging modding and rooting. But maybe it just makes more financial and logistical sense for them to enforce prevention on the front end, rather than on the warranty side.

Returning to HTC is a vastly different matter, as they can and often have denied warranty on modded phones. So anyone who has the AT&T version and is an active AT&T customer should go through AT&T for warranty service when needed.

Well, I'm in a pickle. I got my replacement device and everything was perfect, or so I thought. Seems as if the microphone on the back of this thing is messed up real nice. Every time I attempt to record anything, be it a video or voice recorder, I hear absolutely nothing but static. Bad thing is, I've already rooted/unlocked this device and Firewater is not working on it, so I'm stuck S-on. Obviously now I can't remove the "tampered" banner and it states "relocked".

I'm going to my local corporate AT&T store in an hour or so. (Fun fact: when AT&T shipped my first replacement, they didn't include anything in the box). So I plan on spilling out how I bought the phone in April, camera died and I was shipped an empty box, had to wait for another, and now it has the mic issue. I'm also not planning on acknowledging anything regarding the banners, as I'm sure they'll check.

So this sucks. More than likely I'm going to end up with a device that takes nice pictures, but no video. Hopes aren't really high at this point

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Well, I'm in a pickle. I got my replacement device and everything was perfect, or so I thought. Seems as if the microphone on the back of this thing is messed up real nice. Every time I attempt to record anything, be it a video or voice recorder, I hear absolutely nothing but static. Bad thing is, I've already rooted/unlocked this device and Firewater is not working on it, so I'm stuck S-on. Obviously now I can't remove the "tampered" banner and it states "relocked".

I'm going to my local corporate AT&T store in an hour or so. (Fun fact: when AT&T shipped my first replacement, they didn't include anything in the box). So I plan on spilling out how I bought the phone in April, camera died and I was shipped an empty box, had to wait for another, and now it has the mic issue. I'm also not planning on acknowledging anything regarding the banners, as I'm sure they'll check.

So this sucks. More than likely I'm going to end up with a device that takes nice pictures, but no video. Hopes aren't really high at this point

You just quoted my post where I said AT&T doesn't care if the phone is modded. So why do you think they won't exchange the phone?

Refurbs with defects are unfortunately not at all uncommon, so you likely won't have any issue explaining to them that its a warranty replacement that has an issue.

Also, I think its normal for warranty replacement refurbs to be shipped with no accessories. So no worries there, either.

But one thing, AT&T stores won't exchange the phone past 14 days of the original purchase. I believe refurbs can't be exchanged at stores, and you will need to call and exchange by mail, or go to a Device Support Center, if there is one in your area.

dressanderc

Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
You just quoted my post where I said AT&T doesn't care if the phone is modded. So why do you think they won't exchange the phone?

Refurbs with defects are unfortunately not at all uncommon, so you likely won't have any issue explaining to them that its a warranty replacement that has an issue.

Also, I think its normal for warranty replacement refurbs to be shipped with no accessories. So no worries there, either.

But one thing, AT&T stores won't exchange the phone past 14 days of the original purchase. I believe refurbs can't be exchanged at stores, and you will need to call and exchange by mail, or go to a Device Support Center, if there is one in your area.

So, in short, AT&T cares nothing about the Tampered or Relocked banners? A quick google search, and I find all kinds of instances where they basically check the bootloader, see those banners, and that's it. Warranty is void, nothing we can do.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
So, in short, AT&T cares nothing about the Tampered or Relocked banners?

I've probably seen a few dozen reports on XDA that this is the case, yes. Succesful warranty exchanges with unlocked bootloaders, s-off, etc. Even reports of folks returning their phone with a custom ROM still installed.

As previously mentioned, as far as I can tell, its no longer even in AT&T's terms that they can void the warranty based on software modifications (although it used to). They don't even have any grounds to do this anymore. If they do so, I would ask they show you in the warranty or service terms where it says they can do it.

That said, I would still try to return to stock as possible, just in case.

A quick google search, and I find all kinds of instances where they basically check the bootloader, see those banners, and that's it. Warranty is void, nothing we can do.

Are those cases through AT&T, or HTC? HTC will in fact void your warranty for an unlocked bootloader and mods.

If your experience is somehow different that what I've described, I'd love to hear about it. Good luck!

Last edited:

dressanderc

Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
I've probably seen a few dozen reports on XDA that this is the case, yes. Succesful warranty exchanges with unlocked bootloaders, s-off, etc. Even reports of folks returning their phone with a custom ROM still installed.

As previously mentioned, as far as I can tell, its no longer even in AT&T's terms that they can void the warranty based on software modifications (although it used to). They don't even have any grounds to do this anymore. If they do so, I would ask they show you in the warranty or service terms where it says they can do it.

I want to say they were AT&T, however, I could very well be incorrect in saying that. Just for my personal experience today, though, the rep basically told me the exact same thing you did. Didn't even bother looking at the phone, just informed me to contact the warranty claims department. So now, in my mind, I have a potential charge of close to $1,000 if (for whatever reason) they deem these warranties as void. That's a pretty big bet to make.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

dressanderc

Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
But its a bet where the law and AT&T's own terms are on your side. Their terms only mention the warranty is void for physical or water damage, and makes no mention of software modifications.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=exhibitR

According to my AT&T rep that I worked with. "non-certified firmware may cause issues".

Capture.png

However, I was able to S-Off the device using Sunshine. I've flashed the 1.58.502.1 RUU and stock bootloader, removed the tampered banner, and re-locked the bootloader. (and of course un-rooted the device). Better safe than sorry; It now looks like this, so I'm pretty sure I cannot get any more stock:

IMAG0002.jpg

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
According to my AT&T rep that I worked with. "non-certified firmware may cause issues".

That's remarkably vague, and doesn't to me say anything. Note that he didn't say it would be "out of warranty" as he did with water or physical damage. My guess is they want to (understandably) discourage folks from returning phones bricked due to botched mods; but don't want to come out and say that.

And it doesn't say anything if their warranty terms. If its not in the written terms, they can't enforce anything. If they want to exclude software mods from the warranty, they have to have it in writing, they can't just make it up as they go along. For once, AT&T's terms are in your favor, so I'd keep that in mind if they try to argue otherwise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not sure. I haven't tried returning to AT&T. The only thing they can get you for is S-Off, but some devices shipped S-Off so I don't know how likely that is to happen. AT&T shouldn't look into it too much. They don't have access to HTCDev so they can't see you've requested an unlock token.
    I don't know about your AT&T store reps, but I can't think of a single one from a store local to me that would have any clue whatsoever on how to determine if the device was rooted, unlocked, etc.

Also keep in mind that, unless you've personally irritated one of them, THEY (usually) DON'T CARE. They might be required to check certain things by AT&T corporate, but do you really think that a typical sales rep is going actually exert any extra effort whatsoever to check the device?

Take the steps you mentioned. Leave the device S-OFF, but clear the "tampered" flag (as you mentioned) and any type of red warning that happens on the boot animation. Basically, just fix up the extremely obvious stuff that a sales rep couldn't possible ignore. When you go to bring it back, act like you've never heard of "XDA", and if someone asks if the phone was modified, tell them that you changed the default ringtone or something silly like that. (In other words, play dumb.)
    I was in a store the other day with a friend who needed something done to his account. Beside us was a rep trying to activate an M8 for a customer. She kept running to the back to get different SIM cards and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't fit. She was trying to put them in the SD card slot :eek:

And you're worried about them checking bootloader locks and S-Off? :laugh:
    To give an example of how "closely" an AT&T store rep examines a phone for exchange/return:

I noticed a couple days ago that the volume button on my own M8 is quite a bit more.. wiggly.... than the AT&T demo M8's in my local store. It doesn't really bother me, but I figured I was still in my "14 days" so I could get a simple exchange for a more perfect volume button.

So, I spent about an hour backing up my device, changing the CID back to CWS__001, switching the firmware back to AT&T stock, switching the recovery back to stock, patching the bootloader to NOT show "unlocked" or "tampered", etc. Basically, when I was done, it was nearly impossible for even a knowledgeable person to know I had "converted" the phone to a dev edition and so on.

I brought the phone to the store and here's what they did to examine it: NOTHING.

They saw that the screen turned on, and that was it. Nothing else. I was extremely disappointed. (Perhaps it relates that I had just factory reset it, so it was sitting at that stupid AT&T welcome screen... perhaps they didn't want to waste time tapping through all the prompts?)

Oh, and I ended up NOT doing the exchange. They brought a new one up, and it had the same wiggly volume button. So, we opened a couple more boxes and all were wiggly. Being that I didn't see any other defect in my existing phone, I decided to keep my known wiggle instead of risking a different different that wiggled just as much, but might also have some other issue.

Take care
    Wiggles Gary

Believe it or not all you have to do is put the stock rom back on the device. You still have a hardware warranty. If say, your speaker is broken that would have occurred regardless of you flashing the ROM. Flashing the rom is not a punishment for you to live with bad hardware... However try to put back to stock if you can.
    If you ever wanted to return to stock, OTA is not the method I would recommend. RUU is easier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

You should be able to use adb sideload from advanced in twrp. As long as you have adb access on your PC, that is.