[ROM][4.4][NIGHTLY][DISCUSSION] OmniROM 4.4.2 for GT-N7000

Search This thread

clandestino123

Dec 20, 2010
Brisbane
Hi there folks, this is a good thread. Great to keep this kind of stuff away from the development threads.

edit - I got bored so I stopped half way through the TW section. But I'll come back to it.

Omni / Asylum v Touchwiz JB (Sweetrom)

I've had the N7000 for nearly 2 years now, I've flashed many roms. Over the past year or so I've tried slimrom and CM repeatedly, but I always went back to touchwiz with modified kernel in the end. Why? stability, battery life, and everything worked.

FWIW I'm back on sweetrom 10.5 right now, but will switch back to omni rom this weekend.

But over the past 3 weeks I've been going back and forth between omni-rom, slim black roma, and sweet rom... here are my observations...

battery life

Undoubtedly, sweetrom wins here. In my experience, omnirom has periods where battery life is great, but then an app or process goes wrong, and battery life is affected.

features

omnirom has new and different features, that TW doesn't have. But ...TW has features that omnirom doesn't have (samsung stuff).

The usual argument tends to be "you can just download what you want from the playstore if it's missing"... but really I think, TW might actually win out here for overall functionality. Whereas omnirom is actually missing that functionality.

speed

omnirom is definitely faster (from a subjective point of view, haha). I might as well add - I think that only this latest 4.4 (and 4.4.1, and 4.4.2) are actually noticeably faster than, say 4.0.4. LRQ with glewarne's kernel. I really think that 4.4 has made a slight difference.

stability

Sweetrom definitely wins here. However - don't get the wrong impression. Sweetrom/tW is not 100% stable.

enjoyability

For me, omnirom's features and feel are more enjoyable. Far more enjoyable.

Omni rom issues/features.

ART - I believe that there is an improvement in battery life. Having said that, processes still get "stuck" every now and then, which kind of negates that improvement. I couldn't really see any improvement in menu opening times, app opening times, etc. One disadvantage with ART in current form, is that the first reboot will take forever and a day, as apps are "optimised".

Video camera - I had little success with this on earlier nightlies, but on later ones, it seemed to work fine.

App specific layouts - Some apps don't seem to be configured correctly, or perhaps, omni rom isn't presenting them correctly. e.g. "guardian anywhere" - photos in articles aren't displayed, and text does not resize.

pin number entry- no need to hit "enter" if this option is selected. I like.

AOSP/ Android keyboard? - swype style entry causes crashes every time.

Stock browser quick controls - doesn't work properly on n7000. Very hard to activate.

Stock browser layout - often doesn't fill the whole screen, whilst quick controls are in use. It behaves as if quick controls aren't in use.

Stock browser incognito window - browser will FC when this is activated.

phone dialer- love this. :D

discrete call accept/reject - love this additional new feature. To me, this is a useful feature.

hot phone - sometimes the phone heats up to 400c, or more. I didn't like this feature very much. In all seriousness though, even repeated reboots didn't fix the issue. IMO the issue is certainly related to GAPPS, and the separation of Omnirom from GAPPS. If Omnirom was released with a GAPPS package, I believe that the issues could be identified and eliminated over time. However, what is happening in real life is that people are flashing a wide variety of GAPPs packages.

HW composer- It's not there in Omnirom....yet... :laugh: I'm pretty sure that it isn't in TW, and never will be. If raw kernel 6? or 7? can incorporate it, then our N7000s will get a new lease of life!

Sweet rom issues 10.5 issues/ features

layout issues - with pin keypad, lockscreen wallpaper, etc.

Transparent status bar issues- It's always a different contrast/shade from the rest of the screen, and looks ridiculous. Equally so in landscape mode. Omnirom has proper functional transparent status bar.

Swipe contact right to call, left to text - great TW feature.

SGS4 lockscreen - more of a hindrance than anything else. Unless of course, you do not have any security on your phone whatsoever. In that case... this is a fantastic lockscreen (with an awful, awful font).

battery life - Been back on sweetrom 10.5 for a day now. First thing I noticed was that it "just works". lol. When you press the power off button, the phone goes into deep sleep soon after, every time.

Samsung push notifications, updates, etc etc etc.... - to me, these are just real annoyances.

Last edited:

ttibbetts83

Aug 5, 2010
jacksonville,FL
Ok so ive been using omni and asylum sence anounced and have built the xperia edition that i have. I have No real issues intell now. I went to a TW rom sweet rom v11 and used for a couple of days due to some app proplems, that has been sorted out and so i built an updated version of my xperia edition and flashed with No proplems after flashed r4 of course. But now for some reason when i flashed my rom or any of the others omni stock and asylum a alot of the apps do not flash like mms.apk and browser.apk. When i look in system/app and system/priv-app the missing apps are not there. I have verified the are in the rom before flashed. Also if i place on sd card and the move to there proper locations and.reboot they install No proplem. This has got me stumped and i have tried every wipe i can do other then internal and external storage. Any help would be great

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Ok so ive been using omni and asylum sence anounced and have built the xperia edition that i have. I have No real issues intell now. I went to a TW rom sweet rom v11 and used for a couple of days due to some app proplems, that has been sorted out and so i built an updated version of my xperia edition and flashed with No proplems after flashed r4 of course. But now for some reason when i flashed my rom or any of the others omni stock and asylum a alot of the apps do not flash like mms.apk and browser.apk. When i look in system/app and system/priv-app the missing apps are not there. I have verified the are in the rom before flashed. Also if i place on sd card and the move to there proper locations and.reboot they install No proplem. This has got me stumped and i have tried every wipe i can do other then internal and external storage. Any help would be great

Have you remebered to flash a gapps package for 4.4?

ozgurgundogan

Dec 28, 2011
Kocaeli
Xiaomi Mi A2
First of all many thanks for developing such a good rom. everything is upto the mark the only critical issue i am facing is very very slow charging, and along with very poor battery life i am using build of 12-12-2013. i charge my phone to 100% (it takes almost 6hrs) and it drains within 1hr (normal usage). Also i tried with two other new batteries as well same issue.
And there is one more issue whenever we change the music (forward/play-pause) using headset screen automatically turns on. Screen also turns on automatically sometimes without going on anything.
Phone over heats while running multiple application or using internet
Screen brightness is way to high on automatic setting mode even though i adjusted it with the flux response settings, in the settings of phone.
Guys please help me out i don't know much abt anroid programming and bug fixing please.

Please try 16-12-2013 rom.

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Last edited:
Reactions: AA1973

FareedYusoff

Apr 6, 2013
Kangar
Can anyone teach me how to get wifi tethering/hospot been activate omni rom? Failed to have it work properly.
Maybe build.prop edit?

FareedYusoff

Apr 6, 2013
Kangar
Wifi tethering does not work at the moment.

So, known issue ,is it?
Well, i just sit back and relax.
Oh yes, I've test the OTA update and it work without any problem since I did a clean flash on 20131215 build.
Just that, I forgot to make superSU backup script. And done flashing that again.
Now I 've done add script on build.prop for softkey. You know, qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

samarium

Jun 24, 2010

Have you read the OP of the thread associated with the GAPPS you probably flashed after the ROM?

Reactions: AA1973

merx

Sep 23, 2008
hi, guys!
sorry for offtop. i found working solution for wifi tethering on omni.
" WiFi Tether Router " by Fabio Grasso
Sorry, i can't post links.

this method working for me.
omni-4.4.2-20131216-n7000-NIGHTLY

zebelchior

Oct 4, 2011
Mapusa Goa
How do I activate quick launch shortcuts.. I have selected a few but still see the lock on screen instead of the up arrow :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

nikhilbhalwankar

Apr 24, 2012
Mumbai
I am on 8th december build. Will it be fine if I directly flash 16th december nightly on top of it? Just want to confirm. I am directly skipping 7 days nightlies :)

ttibbetts83

Aug 5, 2010
jacksonville,FL
God's punishment for fleshing JizzWizz. :p

Seriously though, I have never heard of such a thing. I spoze you have already tried to format /system as well before flushing Omni?

Yea i guess so have never had any problem like This before ive used the advacned wipe option and checked all except storage cards. I ran out of ideals which is why i posted the question luckaly i have the xperia keyboard or i would not have one because It did not flash the stock one aswell. If i figure It out i will posted back ;)

clandestino123

Dec 20, 2010
Brisbane
Testing a rom for one day is worthless. Give it a week or more, and then compare.
Also, switching roms all the time gives a bad experience. Let the new rom settle for a few days before criticizing battery life etc.

Not sure where you have got the mistaken impression that my comments are based on a day's usage alone? Of course I wouldn't be able to make observations on that limited basis.

My comments are based on 1 version of omni nightly, and 2 slim black Roma, over a period of just over 3 weeks. Prior to that I was on sweet Rom for a few months.

And the comments on battery life are certainly true and easy to prove.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The development thread can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516933

KNOWN ISSUES FOR N7000
    - Wifi tethering doesn't work Fixed!
    - Screen recording doesn't work (but camera recording works just fine!)
    - Opendelta sometimes freezes when checking/downloading update (see FAQ)
    - Charging while power off doesn't work. Fixed!
    - Music playback sometimes stops randomly when using a wired headset. (we need more info on this issue, please report here in this thread if you experience it!)
    - MHL Doesn't work (and probably never will).

FAQ
    For those questions that pops up all the time, this will be updated often.
    Also, remember to thank those who provides the answers!

Q: How does OpenDelta auto updater work?
    At first, OpenDelta will check if a Rom Zip is available on your device. If OpenDelta doesn't find it, it will download a Rom. (~170mb) From then, it will only download the difference (delta) and patches the initial Rom zip within internal SD /OpenDelta. Then, after the patch, the Rom zip will be around 280mb, as it is uncompressed.

Q: Why does OpenDelta freeze from time to time when trying to update the ROM?
    @Chainfire is still working on it:
    FYI, people still suffering from the OTA updater freezing mid-verify, mid-download or mid-patch, we've found a lot of way how it didn't get fixed :) Putting the sdcard handling code in debug mode gets rid of the problem, but obviously we don't want to do that in production, eh!

Q: I pressed "flash now" but TWRP recovery says "status failed". What do I do now?
    How about switching your pointer from external storage to *internal storage* within TWRP > INSTALL option?

Q: What's the "Flash after update" folder in the OpenDelta folder?
    It's for .zip files you want the openrecoveryscript to flash automatically after flashing a nightly. Take a look at this thread for examples.

Q: How do I keep root after flashing nightlies?
    After rooting, open SuperSU app - settings - Install SuperSU backup script.

Q: Does this ROM come with call recording?
    No, and it won't. However, this app has been confirmed working for some users: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=polis.app.callrecorder

Q: How can I get FM radio on this ROM?

Q: How can I get Samsung stock apps like S-note?
    Go back to Stock ROM or search play store for whatever your needs are. You'll probably find something that's better than Samsung apps anyway. If you're still wondering - OmniRom will not and can never support Samsung stock apps.

Q: How can I get soft keys / navigation bar?
    Soft keys aka navigation bar
    Edit build.prop (use preferred ROM Toolbox lite/pro or a suitable root file explorer)
    Add the following line at the end:
    Code:
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
    You'll get navigation bar / soft keys and the desired layout of lockscreen.

HOW TO INSTALL
    First time installing OmniROM to your Galaxy Note, or coming from another ROM:
    - Read known issues and FAQs
    - Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery - WITH SELINUX SUPPORT!
    - Copy GApps and OmniROM ZIPs to your SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Flash OmniROM zip from SDCard
    - Flash GApps zip from SDCard
    - DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
    - Reboot
    - Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
    - Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!

Upgrading from earlier version of OmniROM:
    - Copy the OmniROM ZIP to your SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Flash the OmniROM zip from SDCard
    - Reboot
    Also, remember to flash this after flashing ROM for root access: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu/
    Please find attached 2 backup scripts for
    + BetterBatteryStats
    + Xposed Framework (Installer)
    Why is it necessary? Both "apps" need to be installed (again and again) after a nightly update and require a reboot.
    With these backup scripts, both actions (installation and reboot) are obsolete, not necessary anymore.
    Just update the nightly and both Xposed&BBS are fully functional, no reboot, ready to use.
    Profit!
    BTW I m using both scripts since 10days or so, they are both fully working...

1. Backup Script for Better Battery Stats - Installation
    Settings of BBS/Prerequisite
    + Most recent Version 1.15
    + Root Features in Settings > Advanced ticked √
    + Install BBS as System App (Experimental) is done as well as a Reboot!!! √
    Also in Settings > Advanced > at the bottom
    Should look like this after a reboot and a successful update!
    daqe8ygy.jpg

+ Rename script by deleting .txt
    + Copy paste into /system/addon.d (make it RW!)
    + Change permission in 755 ( rwx r-x r-x ) User and Group must be 0: Root !!!!
    davaru3e.jpg

+ Make it RO again.

After a nightly update, BBS is already installed in priv-app and working.
    Tool used > Solid Explorer

2. Backup Script for Xposed Framework
    + Rename script by deleting .txt
    + Copy paste into /system/addon.d (make it RW!)
    + Change permission in 755 ( rwx r-x r-x ) User and Group must be 0: Root !!!!
    reze9uge.jpg

+ Make it RO again.

After a nightly update, Xposed framework is already installed and working. All modules I personally use where up and running.
    - Enable Battery Stats on KitKat. Needed for Wake lock Detector, which is quite handy with...
    - Greenify donate.
    - Intelli3G. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voidvapps.intelli3g

Tool used > Solid Explorer

+++ CAUTION +++
    There are issues with some file explorers, so make sure that your root file explorer is capable of pasting those files in /addon.d and changing ownership and permissions!

Total Commander for instance pasted the file, but with size 0 byte.
    Solid Explorer did work for me. Root Browser (included in ROM Toolbox) seems to work, too.

Have fun.

Thanks to:
    * Omni for a wonderful ROM
    * CM Team for the initial backup script which I used for the BBS script
    * Rovo89 for the framework&1st backup script
    * Fiouz for the Xposed backup script as it is now http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43473060
    No. It is against xda rules (best Rom, best kernel etc) . Install both and compare them and choose the one which suits you better.
    The main difference is described in Asylum Omni thread in the first post.
    wherz d Link

what-if-i-dbjznv.jpg
    a5atuby5.jpg

For future questions: I made this because the post above me told me to read the OP or get out. LOL.

Sent from my phone using some app