[ROOT] $99 Walmart Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G)

Search This thread

Ron Overdrive

Feb 2, 2009
The Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G) is a $99 tablet available from Walmart. It sports a AMLogic AML8726-MX SoC (1.5Ghz dualcore Cortex-A9 w/400mhz dualcore Malli400 GPU), 1 Gb of DDR3 RAM, 8" display, and 8Gb internal storage. Its a nice little budget tablet for those who don't need a Nexus 7 or greater performance rated tablet. Not too long ago I discovered how to root it and apparently I'm the first to do it as far as I can tell. Now here's how.

What you will need is Bin4ary's One Touch Root App. This app will get you only partial root via the ADB Shell. My guess is the ADB exploit he uses does work to get basic root access for ADB, but some incompatibility prevents proper installation of su & SuperUser.apk. What we're going to do is finish the job manually.

First run Bin4ary's app and use the Normal Method. Be sure to ignore all errors. After your tablet reboots move su and Superuser.apk from Bin4ry's app folder to the root of the Internal SDCard. Next you will need ADB. If you don't have it you can get it either from Bin4ary's app folder you found su & superuser.apk in or you can install the Android SDK. At the command prompt enter the following:

Code:
adb shell
su

At this point you should see a # sign indicating root privileges. If you do enter the following commands.

Code:
mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/osu
cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su

The use Astro or your favorite file manager to navigate to /sdcard and install SuperUser.apk then reboot your tablet. From here on you should have full root on your tablet. Credit should definitely goto Bin4ry for his work on his One Touch Root App for getting us half way there.

miroxz

Mar 25, 2012
The Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G) is a $99 tablet available from Walmart. It sports a AMLogic AML8726-MX SoC (1.5Ghz dualcore Cortex-A9 w/400mhz dualcore Malli400 GPU), 1 Gb of DDR3 RAM, 8" display, and 8Gb internal storage. Its a nice little budget tablet for those who don't need a Nexus 7 or greater performance rated tablet. Not too long ago I discovered how to root it and apparently I'm the first to do it as far as I can tell. Now here's how.

What you will need is Bin4ary's One Touch Root App. This app will get you only partial root via the ADB Shell. My guess is the ADB exploit he uses does work to get basic root access for ADB, but some incompatibility prevents proper installation of su & SuperUser.apk. What we're going to do is finish the job manually.

First run Bin4ary's app and use the Normal Method. Be sure to ignore all errors. After your tablet reboots move su and Superuser.apk from Bin4ry's app folder to the root of the Internal SDCard. Next you will need ADB. If you don't have it you can get it either from Bin4ary's app folder you found su & superuser.apk in or you can install the Android SDK. At the command prompt enter the following:

Code:
adb shell
su

At this point you should see a # sign indicating root privileges. If you do enter the following commands.

Code:

The use Astro or your favorite file manager to navigate to /sdcard and install SuperUser.apk then reboot your tablet. From here on you should have full root on your tablet. Credit should definitely goto Bin4ry for his work on his One Touch Root App for getting us half way there.

Did NOT work for me.
1-On first attempt, got pound sign....tried to push code resulting in cant find SD
2-On second attempts, would not let me be superuser su
3-Did a factory reset....same results as (2)

Im stomped!....please help

caspboy

Jan 3, 2014
Charlotte, Nc
I need someone to be more clear on rooting this device because I already bricked one using the method from tab freaks instructions aren't that clear and I don't want to brick another one ! Please thanks

this guide is like the clearest root guide I've seen:D Just sit down and read it, take your time;) Rooting my seem hard at first, but you catch on

andrew09

Dec 13, 2010
this guide is like the clearest root guide I've seen:D Just sit down and read it, take your time;) Rooting my seem hard at first, but you catch on

Parts are missing from the guide like how to install the adb drivers the computer needs to recognise the tablet first before u try and root it I have read through it and I've already bricked one also I noticed if you go to recovery on this tablet it erases the system and factory reset doesn't fix anything there's no factory ROMs or anything to fix it if it messes up. If someone can't a sure me that the method is correct I'll do it I'll try it.

H0wdy

Sep 3, 2011
Samsung Galaxy A71 5G
I bought this today.

I am having problems here:

I did what you said to do:

Normal Mode enabled!

Pushing busybox....
4806 KB/s (1165484 bytes in 0.236s)
Pushing su binary ....
7134 KB/s (104576 bytes in 0.014s)
Pushing Superuser app
6792 KB/s (2139595 bytes in 0.307s)
Making busybox runable ...

Now unlock your device and confirm the restore operation.
Please look at your device and click RESTORE!
If all is successful I will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
Running ...
Successful, going to reboot your device in 10 seconds!
RunMe.sh: line 222: wait: pid 10 is not a child of this shell
Waiting for device to show up again....
RunMe.sh: line 225: wait: pid 10 is not a child of this shell
Going to copy files to it's place
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
You can close all open command-prompts now!
After reboot all is done! Have fun!
Bin4ry

---

And then I copied the files su and the .apk to /sdcard

Then I try to run su, and it says:

su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found

so I do

shell@android:/sdcard $ ./su
/system/bin/sh: ./su: can't execute: Permission denied
---

Other times, it just does this:

Now unlock your device and confirm the restore operation.
Please look at your device and click RESTORE!
If all is successful I will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
Running ...

and it runs forever
what do I do?

Last edited:
YES! use cydia impactor

Yes, I used it also. worked for me too (my serial for the tablet is YF07... in case there is a problem with the newer versions)
Thanks, H0wdy

Steps to do it:
Download Cydia Impactor
Turn on USB debug in settings-> Developer options
Plug in tablet into PC (I used a 32 bit Windows 8.1)
Wait a while... a long while for me... for windows to download drivers, disconnect tablet, wait a few seconds, then reconnect.
you should see in the device manager (on the top) android phone and underneath Android Composite ADB interface

Unzip Cydia, run impactor.exe and just choose start for # drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su
Wait a bit, then you're done. (no reboot or anything else necessary).
Install supersu (or I guess any other superuser app) from the android market. It will tell you that you can update the su binary... your choice, I updated without a problem.
I had supersu installed beforehand, but I guess it has nothing to do with it, it wasn't working anyway)

Ranting, but maybe someone has this issue also:
One ( -- BIG --) problem I had was getting the connection between the tablet and my computer, and Not because I can't plug-in a cable :p
the tablet said it was connected, but on the computer, nothing showed up in device manager and the list of devices kept refreshing.
The PC was beep-ing just like it found a device. the device list would refresh once or twice, then again beep, all this till the end of my patience.
At first I thought it was the USB 3.0 port, then the cable, then the ESXi USB redirection (my desktop is actually a VM), then the windows version, then the architecture,
Then I switched to a laptop, nothing.. same story.
I can BET it's Sony's F***ed up drivers
So, I used a clean system (no other adb or phone drivers installed) and worked as a charm
I think I hat this much trouble because I had a lot of other drivers (for sony, samsung, universal adb, etc etc.)
So on the computer I had all this stuff installed, it looked like the tablet was connected, then disconnected in the space of 10-15 seconds, then repeat forever.
If this happens to you, use a clean windows.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    adb shell
    su

Code:

Code:
    adb shell
    su

Code:

Did NOT work for me.
    1-On first attempt, got pound sign....tried to push code resulting in cant find SD
    2-On second attempts, would not let me be superuser su
    3-Did a factory reset....same results as (2)

Im stomped!....please help
    Amlogic Next8HD8G (NX008HD8G) Modified Recovery - Stock Rom - Root & Gapps

Modified recovery, stock rom, flashable root and flashable Gapps here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7010-Amlogic-Next8HD8G-%28NX008HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root

ShaunMT