[Q] USB host

Search This thread

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Has anyone been successful in using the USB host or USB on the go with the Jetstream? If yes, please share how you managed to do so. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using XDA App

scitech09

Mar 28, 2011
I have tried and have been unsuccessful thus far. I will post if I ever get this to work.

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Ok. So I was playing around with my device and came across some posts like http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1450298 and those have helped me to connect a USB pen drive to my Jetstream successfully.

These are what are required:

1. You need to edit (with Root permisions, in write mode using Root Explorer), the build.prop file in the /system folder and enable USB host more - can be found towards the end of the file

2. You need a USB OTG cable (i.e. a micro USB to USB female) cable along with a USB Y cable (i.e. a cable with 2 male USB ports at one end and a single female port at the other end)

3. A USB enabled charger

So, 1st the USB OTG cable is connected to the device, next 1 male component of the USB Y cable goes to this USB OTG cable and the other male component to the USB charger. The pen drive goes in the female end of the USB Y cable.

That is it. You can go to the storage section of the Settings and check it out. It will show the availability of external USB drive. All data on the USB drive will appear in the USB folder under sdcard.

I did not have a USB charger so used a computer in its place and it works absolutely fine. Will get myself a charger, retest and confirm once again.

Did try using an external hard disk with an external power source but wasn't able to get it to work.

To confirm that the device is detected, etc I used USB Host Controller from the Market. It displays both the pen drive as well as the hard disk. However, unable to mount the hard disk don't know why.

In theory, it should be possible as per the above post to connect an externally powered USB hub in the similar manner and get it to work. I don't have that either. So perhaps someone with it could test it out.

Will post screen shots by tomorrow morning. Late now - past midnight.

Hope it is helpful.

Edit - All thanks to sztupy and others at the above post who gave the idea and I just tried it and got it working.

Edit 2 - Screenshots attached.

Attachments

• 2012-04-14_09-07-21.jpg
    2012-04-14_09-07-21.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Did try using an external hard disk with an external power source but wasn't able to get it to work.

To confirm that the device is detected, etc I used USB Host Controller from the Market. It displays both the pen drive as well as the hard disk. However, unable to mount the hard disk don't know why.

I tried the external hard disk again. Same result. USB Host controller detects the hardware but unable to mount it.

Also, even in the settings, storage option, the mount usb option is usuable but it doens't mount the hard disk.

Using a Segate 1TB external hard disk with external power source. Perhaps the size too big or may be the NTFS format not supported? Pen drive is in FAT32 and works well. So that may be the problem.

Did anyone else try this out?

mhkabir98

Jan 28, 2012
Kolkata
www.instructables.com
NTFS support

I tried the external hard disk again. Same result. USB Host controller detects the hardware but unable to mount it.

Also, even in the settings, storage option, the mount usb option is usuable but it doens't mount the hard disk.

Using a Segate 1TB external hard disk with external power source. Perhaps the size too big or may be the NTFS format not supported? Pen drive is in FAT32 and works well. So that may be the problem.

Did anyone else try this out?

You can mount ntfs drives with this application from Play Store :cool::
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.dach.drivemount&hl=en

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Tried a pen drive formatted as NTFS but doesn't work for that either. So the problem is with NTFS format. Have tried Drive Mount and USB Host controller Apps which both claim to be able to mount NTFS drives but no progress. USB MAss Storage OTG is another software however, it needs a kernel with usm enabled. I got the apk and tried installing it-it installs but force closes there after.

Got another software though from another post in XDA itself - called NTFS mount - similar to drive mount. It mounts an NTFS pen drive however force closes while trying to mount an external hard disk (1TB). Post is: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13337600

Tried with the 1.2 version and it mounts the external hard disk as well without force closing! :)

so now have got it to read and write from any external hard disk without any problem! This is great! :)

Last edited:

vapor

Aug 4, 2005
Philadelphia
Ok. So I was playing around with my device and came across some posts like http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1450298 and those have helped me to connect a USB pen drive to my Jetstream successfully.

These are what are required:

1. You need to edit (with Root permisions, in write mode using Root Explorer), the build.prop file in the /system folder and enable USB host more - can be found towards the end of the file

2. You need a USB OTG cable (i.e. a micro USB to USB female) cable along with a USB Y cable (i.e. a cable with 2 male USB ports at one end and a single female port at the other end)

3. A USB enabled charger

So, 1st the USB OTG cable is connected to the device, next 1 male component of the USB Y cable goes to this USB OTG cable and the other male component to the USB charger. The pen drive goes in the female end of the USB Y cable.

That is it. You can go to the storage section of the Settings and check it out. It will show the availability of external USB drive. All data on the USB drive will appear in the USB folder under sdcard.

I did not have a USB charger so used a computer in its place and it works absolutely fine. Will get myself a charger, retest and confirm once again.

In theory, it should be possible as per the above post to connect an externally powered USB hub in the similar manner and get it to work. I don't have that either. So perhaps someone with it could test it out.

Will post screen shots by tomorrow morning. Late now - past midnight.

Hope it is helpful.

Edit - All thanks to sztupy and others at the above post who gave the idea and I just tried it and got it working.

Edit 2 - Screenshots attached.

I think my tablet is already enabled for USB host mode. When I checked the build.prop file, it shows

ro.usb_host = 1

This means it is activated right?

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
It still doesn't work for me. I wonder what else I could be doing wrong?

Could you please tell me what and exactly how you are doing so that I may be able to help you out?

Attached is a picture from the thread I mentioned earlier on. I use the 2nd setup. May be this will be of help in case the connections aren't done right. Also, make sure that all connections are made, with the power put on before you connect the entire setup to the USB OTG cable and then to the tablet's port.

Attachments

• usbhost_2.jpg
    usbhost_2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

vapor

Aug 4, 2005
Philadelphia
Could you share which hub you are using that has a mini USB connector?

Also, I'm trying to connect a 120GB HDD and I guess this might be too big? What is the larger capacity drive you have been able to connect?

Lastly, does a larger drive take longer to connect/display and thus I should wait longer? If so, how long does it usually take?

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Could you share which hub you are using that has a mini USB connector?

Also, I'm trying to connect a 120GB HDD and I guess this might be too big? What is the larger capacity drive you have been able to connect?

Lastly, does a larger drive take longer to connect/display and thus I should wait longer? If so, how long does it usually take?

I have put up a step by step procedure with all hardware I used and how I got it to work at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25443308#post25443308.

hope it solves your problem. If not, I will try to help you out for sure.