Mytouch 3g 3.5mm 32A

Search This thread

SuperMiguel

Jul 22, 2008
Can some one help me understand this:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_G1/Dream/Magic32A_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod said:
CAUTION: Rooting the new MyTouch3G Fender LE or MyTouch 1.2 (phones with a 3.5mm headphone jack on top) requires a different process. Be careful not to mistake flashing instructions for regular 32As which do not take into account this new hardware (these devices appear to be hybrid 32A/32B boards, thus ordinary methods will result in the touchscreen not working). It is possible to get root, but there are no custom ROMs as of February 2010. Two threads at XDA here and here explain the situation further. This is an evolving issue; please be patient with developers.
For standard 32As, 'rooting' usually doesn't rely on any exploit per se, because most 32A Magics are shipped with a fastboot compatible SPL installed. If you see the "3 skateboarding Androids" screen when you boot to fastboot (Volume Down + Power), you should be able to do the following:

I have the 3.5mm 32A but i also see the "3 skateboarding androids.. so can i follow this steps or not?

hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
Can some one help me understand this:

I have the 3.5mm 32A but i also see the "3 skateboarding androids.. so can i follow this steps or not?

CAUTION: Rooting the new MyTouch3G Fender LE or MyTouch 1.2 (phones with a 3.5mm headphone jack on top) requires a different process.

Read what you quoted. On any phone with Android (ANY PHONE), they have the 'skating' droids. Don't think just because that picture is there that the process is the same.

zeeshanzc

Oct 9, 2009
Mississauga
nope you cant

Nope you can't follow that guide as far as I understand what the person is trying to say is that if you have the 32a with 3.5mm on top than you need to use a different method to root evebthough you might see the Android on skateboard as the person described this is a hybrid of 32a and we all noe that 32a spl is the one with fastboot enabled which is the Android on skateboard

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
well by reading those links there isnt a need to root the new mytouch..

I think that you need to search and read more.

I have the MyTouch with 3.5 mm jack and now I'm running a ported version of Stokes 2.1 Eclair rom. Not only that but I also have it themed. There are a few things that aren't working but I certainly prefer having eclair with no bluetooth and video than stock. But that's just me.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
how well/bad does 2.1 work on the mytouch?

As I said, it isn't 100% yet but I'm using it and it has rebooted my phone a couple of times (literally like twice). Bluetooth doesn't work, 3D doesn't work, Launcher2 doesn't work, live wallpapers don't work (some third party from Market does), a2sd doesn't work (but you don't really need it) and swap didn't work for me without adding a script to phoneprioritizer.

Other than all of that Stokes Eclair 2.1 runs beautifully on my MyTouch and I average 13000 or so on BenchmarkPi.

lightninbug

Sep 17, 2009
ok so can someone please post a link or something on how to root the new mytouch with the 3.5mm 32a with the correct instructions starting from stock?

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
mine does it in 17905 :(

Use adb and type busybox free.
Is swap enabled?
If not then find and install phonerenicer and add a script in the phoneprioritizer directory (or whatever it's called that is stored on your sdcard) and add sh /system/etc/init.d/01enableswap at the bottom.

That worked for me anyway. I already had my sdcard partitioned fat/ext4/swap though.

ok so can someone please post a link or something on how to root the new mytouch with the 3.5mm 32a with the correct instructions starting from stock?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=623141
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=622530
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=5451898

I'm sure if you would have searched you could have found at least one of those.

Last edited:

SuperMiguel

Jul 22, 2008
Use adb and type busybox free.
Is swap enabled?
If not then find and install phonerenicer and add a script in the phoneprioritizer directory (or whatever it's called that is stored on your sdcard) and add sh /system/etc/init.d/01enableswap at the bottom.

That worked for me anyway. I already had my sdcard partitioned fat/ext4/swap though.

can you do this with out root?