[MOD] Custom Black HTC Dialer & Phone w/ability to set custom font (new colors added)

Search This thread

JsChiSurf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
[MOD] Custom Black HTC Dialer & Phone w/ability to set custom font (new colors added)

I originally set out to recreate the black HTC Dialer I had running on my Hero, for my EVO, as I really liked the look (see thread here). Note, this is based off of Fresh 3.3.0.1.

EDIT: See this post for additional font/button color options AFTER reading the instructions for how to apply referenced below.

EDIT 2: 10/28/2010: Modified ALL linked files in this thread to also include the "in call" keypad which is part of Phone.apk. If you've already applied, just re-download both files and re-apply. I realized after initially publishing this mod that I forgot to include the in call keypad as well.

As many of you may know, HTC changed the dialer pretty significantly with 2.2, making it a little more difficult to theme / change up the dialer. Most notably, the number buttons are no longer images, but rather, background images for the actual buttons, with actual font / text overlaying the button. However, since the numbers and letters are now actual fonts, rather than images, we can use this to our advantage for greater customization (keep reading).

So, in ripping apart the 2.2 HtcDialer, I was able to modify code and XML to get the dialer to a point where it looks pretty darn similar to the black dialer I was running previously, including moving the letters and numbers up to the same line (stock is vertical, numbers on top of letters), adjust spacing, font colors, font sizes, etc.

Following is a screen capture comparing the previous stock dialer for 2.2, to the black dialer MOD attached to this thread:

stock.png
one.png

However, what makes this mod even cooler is that I was able to hack in the ability to allow the user (you), to specify your own custom font to use exclusively for the dialer, without affecting any other system level fonts, etc. The default font I am specifying in this mod is the SAME as the default / original system font, or DroidSans.ttf.

The way this works, however, is, when you flash the provided zip below, in the first step, it will apply the modified HtcDialer.apk, Phone.apk, AND install a font named 'dialer.ttf' in your /system/fonts folder. Again, this default font, named 'dialer.ttf' is just the DroidSans.ttf copied to dialer.ttf.

So, should you want to use a different font for your dialer ONLY, simply grab a font you like (see here), rename it to 'dialer.ttf', and push it to your /system/fonts/ folder on your phone.

EDIT: Here are detailed instructions for using a font from the nice fonts thread linked above:

1. After downloading the specific font pack, open the zip file, navigate to /system/fonts/, and extract the font named 'DroidSans.ttf'.

2. Rename the 'DroidSans.ttf' file you just extracted to 'dialer.ttf'

3. Use 'adb' to push to file to your phone (assuming the dialer.ttf file is in the same folder where you are running the adb commands):

Code:
adb remount
adb push dialer.ttf /system/fonts/
adb reboot

Once your phone comes up, your new font should appear in your dialer.

Alternately, if you use Root Explorer, drop the dialer.ttf on your sdcard, navigate to it using root explorer, long press to copy to your clipboard, navigate to your /system/fonts/ folder, click 'Mount r/w', and paste.

Here is an example of me replacing the 'dialer.ttf' font, on the fly, for a few others, just to show you how it works (note: a reboot is required after changing a font):

two.png
three.png

Cool, huh?

It is imperative when using this mod to NEVER remove the 'dialer.ttf' file that gets placed in the /system/fonts/ folder, as the apk is expecting this file to be present.

Now, applying this mod is a 2 step process. First, you MUST flash the update zip, which installs the 'dialer.ttf' font AND the newly modified HtcDialer.apk and Phone.apk.

Download HTC Dialer & Font <---Flash via recovery.

After flashing the above via recovery, when your phone comes up, the mod is only half applied, so do not panic if you view your dialer. You must now applying the MetaMorph file, which swaps out the applicable graphics in your 'com.htc.resources.apk' framework. This has to be a MetaMorph to prevent changing any other themes / mods you may already have in place.

Download com.htc.resources MetaMorph for black dialer <---Apply using MetaMorph.

When applying using MetaMorph, you phone will force close on a bunch of apps, LET IT FINISH. Once the phone appears to freeze, you can issue a reboot via adb, pull the battery, etc. Whatever it takes to reboot. Again though, let the MetaMorph finish. Also, since you are MM'ing a framework file, you may need to re-login to your various sync accounts, etc. You may loose your sync data as a result of replacing a framework file while running.

NOTE: if your phone did NOT freeze when applying the MetaMorph, ironically, it probably didn't work and you'll want to try again. MetaMorph does not always succeed when trying to apply changes, live, to a framework file.

Finally, play with different fonts. Some will work well, other won't, as there is variability in font size, spacing, padding, etc, and some will not fit correctly in the space allocated on the buttons.

Note: If after applying any of the mods, if you wish to also change the top and bottom header/footer bars on the dialer and keypad to black, use the MetaMorph provided here.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessesse

noregretzzzz

Jun 23, 2010
Las Vegas
OnePlus 6T
Didn't work for me either. Changed the look if the numbers and took out the voicemail picture just like the black dialer, but the rest is the same. If the apk is modified, is it possible to extract it and install it instead of flashing the package?

Swyped from my fresh evo

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Didn't work for me either. Changed the look if the numbers and took out the voicemail picture just like the black dialer, but the rest is the same. If the apk is modified, is it possible to extract it and install it instead of flashing the package?

Swyped from my fresh evo
What do you me "me either"? Did this not work for anyone else yet?

Did you run the MetaMorph and let if finish all the way through all the force closes? Sounds to me like it got partially applied, but the second half, in the MetaMorph did not.

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
The morph came up as no icon text... i applied anyways and didn't work
No idea what you are talking about here :confused:

I just downloaded the zip and the morph, restored to an old nandroid, flashed the zip, then applied the morph, worked as intended.

Again, let the morph sit a while, even check your logcat to see when things settle down / stop, then reboot, you should be good to go.

But, "no icon text"? Sounds to me like you are confusing which MetaMorph on your SD card to apply, as this is another MM I did in the past...

Last edited:

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Ill try again, I probably did something wrong. Lol. So flash, reboot, then apply the mm?

Swyped from my fresh evo
You got it. If your phone doesn't freeze after applying the MM, be sure to reboot after that as well. Let me know. And again, be sure to wait for the MM to complete all the way through. When in doubt, wait longer :p.

NOTE: I just did the MM for a third time, and this time I received no FC's at all, and it appeared to finish w/o incident, and it didn't apply! So, moral of the story, MM is having a bit of trouble applying a framework update. If you don't get force closes, it probably DIDN'T work, and you should reboot and try again until it takes affect.

Unfortunately, MM is really the only way to go, but for those who want to finish the second step manually, pop open the MM, and grab the files out of the '/res/drawable-hdpi' folder, and drop them into your current. com.htc.resources.apk file and you will be good to go.

Be sure to still do step 1 first, to flash the font and dialer, followed by either the MM or manual pull / push.

Trust me, I think you'll see that it is worth it. It is really fun grabbing various fonts from the nice font thread in this section, and pushing them to /system/fonts/dialer.ttf, and seeing how it looks, w/o impacting the rest of your phone's appearance.

Last edited:

midnightmaraude

Sep 11, 2010
Im lost. I flashed tge zip but have no blac background for tge dialer

I originally set out to recreate the black HTC Dialer I had running on my Hero, for my EVO, as I really liked the look (see thread here). Note, this is based off of Fresh 3.3.0.1.

As many of you may know, HTC changed the dialer pretty significantly with 2.2, making it a little more difficult to theme / change up the dialer. Most notably, the number buttons are no longer images, but rather, background images for the actual buttons, with actual font / text overlaying the button.

So, in ripping apart the 2.2 HtcDialer, I was able to modify code and XML to get the dialer to a point where it looks pretty darn similar to the black dialer I was running previously, including moving the letters and numbers up to the same line (stock is vertical, numbers on top of letters), adjust spacing, font colors, font sizes, etc.

Following is a screen capture comparing the previous stock dialer for 2.2, to the black dialer MOD attached to this thread:

stock.png
one.png

However, what makes this mod even cooler is that I was able to hack in the ability to allow the user (you), to specify your own custom font to use exclusively for the dialer, without affecting any other system level fonts, etc. The default font I am specifying in this mod is the SAME as the default / original system font, or DroidSans.ttf.

The way this works, however, is, when you flash the provided zip below, in the first step, it will apply the modified HtcDialer.apk AND install a font named 'dialer.ttf' in your /system/fonts folder. Again, this default font, named 'dialer.ttf' is just the droidsans.ttf copied to dialer.ttf.

So, should you want to use a different font for your dialer ONLY, simply grab a font you like, rename it to 'dialer.ttf', and push it to your /system/fonts/ folder on your phone.

Here is an example of me replacing the 'dialer.ttf' font, on the fly, for a few others, just to show you how it works (note: a reboot is required after changing a font):

two.png
three.png

Cool, huh?

It is imperative when using this mod to NEVER remove the 'dialer.ttf' file that gets placed in the /system/fonts/ folder, as the apk is expecting this file to be present.

Now, applying this mod is a 2 step process. First, you MUST flash the update zip, which installs the 'dialer.ttf' font AND the newly modified HtcDialer.apk.

Download HTC Dialer & Font

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Im lost. I flashed tge zip but have no blac background for tge dialer
Yikes, why quote the whole OP?

Did you read the whole OP / follow the instructions fully? The black background, and other changes are applied in the second step using the MetaMorph file and application, as these changes are being made to com.htc.resources, as opposed to directly in the dialer apk.

The OP goes as far as to state not to panic after step one, as you won't yet see the black background and other changes until you complete the second step using MetaMorph.

noregretzzzz

Jun 23, 2010
Las Vegas
OnePlus 6T
As a reminder for some reading this, there is a second link that does not show up using xda app. U gotta view this thread through a browser to get it.

Swyped from my fresh evo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I forgot about this mod until I perused the forums last night. It's aa cool idea for v0.0.5 :)

JsChiSurf will always and forever be my mod hero. He is listed in pretty much all of my tthreads somewhere for credits. Its true. Lol.

But if I do get this I'll share with you and everyone else.

all you need is a lovely signature.

EDIT: See this post for additional font/button color options AFTER reading the instructions for how to apply referenced below.

EDIT 2: 10/28/2010: Modified ALL linked files in this thread to also include the "in call" keypad which is part of Phone.apk. If you've already applied, just re-download both files and re-apply. I realized after initially publishing this mod that I forgot to include the in call keypad as well.

As many of you may know, HTC changed the dialer pretty significantly with 2.2, making it a little more difficult to theme / change up the dialer. Most notably, the number buttons are no longer images, but rather, background images for the actual buttons, with actual font / text overlaying the button. However, since the numbers and letters are now actual fonts, rather than images, we can use this to our advantage for greater customization (keep reading).

stock.png
    one.png

The way this works, however, is, when you flash the provided zip below, in the first step, it will apply the modified HtcDialer.apk, Phone.apk, AND install a font named 'dialer.ttf' in your /system/fonts folder. Again, this default font, named 'dialer.ttf' is just the DroidSans.ttf copied to dialer.ttf.

So, should you want to use a different font for your dialer ONLY, simply grab a font you like (see here), rename it to 'dialer.ttf', and push it to your /system/fonts/ folder on your phone.

EDIT: Here are detailed instructions for using a font from the nice fonts thread linked above:

1. After downloading the specific font pack, open the zip file, navigate to /system/fonts/, and extract the font named 'DroidSans.ttf'.

2. Rename the 'DroidSans.ttf' file you just extracted to 'dialer.ttf'

3. Use 'adb' to push to file to your phone (assuming the dialer.ttf file is in the same folder where you are running the adb commands):

Code:
    adb remount
    adb push dialer.ttf /system/fonts/
    adb reboot

Once your phone comes up, your new font should appear in your dialer.

Alternately, if you use Root Explorer, drop the dialer.ttf on your sdcard, navigate to it using root explorer, long press to copy to your clipboard, navigate to your /system/fonts/ folder, click 'Mount r/w', and paste.

two.png
    three.png

Cool, huh?

Now, applying this mod is a 2 step process. First, you MUST flash the update zip, which installs the 'dialer.ttf' font AND the newly modified HtcDialer.apk and Phone.apk.

Download HTC Dialer & Font <---Flash via recovery.

After flashing the above via recovery, when your phone comes up, the mod is only half applied, so do not panic if you view your dialer. You must now applying the MetaMorph file, which swaps out the applicable graphics in your 'com.htc.resources.apk' framework. This has to be a MetaMorph to prevent changing any other themes / mods you may already have in place.

Download com.htc.resources MetaMorph for black dialer <---Apply using MetaMorph.

When applying using MetaMorph, you phone will force close on a bunch of apps, LET IT FINISH. Once the phone appears to freeze, you can issue a reboot via adb, pull the battery, etc. Whatever it takes to reboot. Again though, let the MetaMorph finish. Also, since you are MM'ing a framework file, you may need to re-login to your various sync accounts, etc. You may loose your sync data as a result of replacing a framework file while running.

NOTE: if your phone did NOT freeze when applying the MetaMorph, ironically, it probably didn't work and you'll want to try again. MetaMorph does not always succeed when trying to apply changes, live, to a framework file.

Finally, play with different fonts. Some will work well, other won't, as there is variability in font size, spacing, padding, etc, and some will not fit correctly in the space allocated on the buttons.

Note: If after applying any of the mods, if you wish to also change the top and bottom header/footer bars on the dialer and keypad to black, use the MetaMorph provided here.
    Hey J, will these still work with the new fresh (same with the rosie mods)?
    Yes. I am running this as well as my original Rosie mods w/o issue.

I checked the certificate stamps for both before pushing, to be sure, and they are identical for all applicable apk(s).
    Question when using apktool.. I can decompile and recompile phone.apk using the apktool. However decompiling htcdialer.apk is fine but it causes error when recompiling the log says resource can not be found at whatever RGB color I change to. Do I need to enter the color as a hex value or same format that is in the code

C:\ADB\platform-tools\other\..\projects\HtcDialer.apk\res\values\styles.xml:212: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'android:textColor' with value '@color/color_170_153_0').
    Using an @color reference assumes that you've assigned a hex color value to the string name (color_170_153_0) you've defined, which isn't the case. Rather than worrying about defining in such a way, you can just set the color direct with a hex value.
    Thanks. Could you tell me what xml files you edited to change the font color?
    I edited /values/styles.xml without any luck. I have also tried values/colors.xml. I can change some colors in the dialer...but not the dialpad numbers.

I attached a decompiled dump of the HtcDialer.apk that i am using in my build if you would like to take a look.

from colors.xml
    WHITE: <color name="color_255_255_255">#ffffffff</color>
    BLACK: <color name="color_0_0_0">#ff000000</color>

I edited styles.xml lines as follows...
    <style name="text_style_dialer_button_number">
    <item name="android:textSize">27.0sp</item>
    <item name="android:textColor">@color/color_255_255_255</item>
    <item name="android:layout_gravity">center_horizontal</item>
    <item name="android:layout_width">wrap_content</item>
    <item name="android:layout_height">wrap_content</item>
    <item name="android:shadowColor">@color/color_0_0_0</item>
    <item name="android:shadowDx">2.0</item>
    <item name="android:shadowDy">2.0</item>
    <item name="android:shadowRadius">1.0</item>
    </style>

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    -CMYLXGO

I don't mess with the dialer much but did you check in /res/color?? There is a dialer_button_text.xml & button_text.xml there as well.

EDIT: On a side note instead of
    Code:
    <item name="android:textColor">@color/color_255_255_255</item>
    you can just use this:
    Code:
    <item name="android:textColor">#ffffffff</item>