Updated Android Market For Honeycomb & Phones - Ice Cream Sandwich Market (4.0)

Search This thread

ndgayan

Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
www.facebook.com
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/29/download-updated-android-market-for-honeycomb-includes-in-app-review-publishing/

Yep, a long-awaited update to the tablet Market is definitely in full effect, and it looks nearly identical to the phone Market. This is no coincidence, either-- remember the minor update that El Goog pushed to phones last week? It turns out that is the same exact version that's being pushed to the XOOM. Yeah, that means you can simply download the 3.1.5 apk and install it on your tablet to get the new Market. That's all kinds of win.

29cqwaw.jpg

2itivb9.jpg

--Thanks to droiddog uploading this video

Attachments

• Market_3.1.5.apk
    3.3 MB · Views: 4,440
Last edited:

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
I saw that this was included in the Xoom update that was pushed out today, and wondered when we might see it on the TF. Is there any downside to installing the market via sideload? Like, problems with future updates, that sort of thing?

Thanks for the link, by the way.

ndgayan

Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I'm sure this is Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) market. You can side load this and also can uninstall. (You can see 2 market icons. One is original old one and other is new one. New one you can uninstall.) Try it......

Pete720

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for posting this. Its nice to be able to view the market long way now. Works very well so far on my TF.

mlbl

May 28, 2010
Some games that use in-app billing doesnt work well with this new market and the only way to solve this is to either wait for the game developers to fix their game or to uninstall the update to play the game. Not sure what google changed that caused 2-3 of my games force closing during startup due to this new update.

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
There are supposedly some issues with it regarding multiple market apps installed locally, and some stability issues.

I'm going to wait until it's official

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

sonami

Nov 12, 2010
So if its the same market as the phone market, ca i use the themed market apk'son my tabs without issue?

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
It'd be nice if Google focused on features rather than just rearranging the layout in each release. I could care less about the pretty, but that's basically all they seem to care about with the market. From the video it appears there's still no way to submit a review from the tablet without opening Market in your browser, and still no way to filter or sort apps, both of which make the stock market near-useless to me. (Have to use AppBrain to find apps, then I install in the stock market for stability).

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
Yep, a long-awaited update to the tablet Market is definitely in full effect, and it looks nearly identical to the phone Market. This is no coincidence, either-- remember the minor update that El Goog pushed to phones last week? It turns out that is the same exact version that's being pushed to the XOOM. Yeah, that means you can simply download the 3.1.5 apk and install it on your tablet to get the new Market. That's all kinds of win.

But is it actually a better market? The previous updates have all seem to be mostly cosmetic, whilst the actual searching and filter suck badly for a company who is supposed to be all about search.

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
It'd be nice if Google focused on features rather than just rearranging the layout in each release. I could care less about the pretty, but that's basically all they seem to care about with the market. From the video it appears there's still no way to submit a review from the tablet without opening Market in your browser, and still no way to filter or sort apps, both of which make the stock market near-useless to me. (Have to use AppBrain to find apps, then I install in the stock market for stability).

You can add reviews in Market directly, finally. What kind of filtering are you looking for? There are filtering levels (everyone, low maturity, medium maturity, high maturity, show all apps) and clicking on games, then categories, you can select different types of games (racing, puzzle, etc). Not sure how you wanted to sort of filter, but I know you can definitely set the content rating, and at very least FINALLY review apps within market, lol.

Reactions: knoxploration
T

TheTransformer

Search

I am pretty sure he means the fact that whatever you search for you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least 10 other completely unrelated crap before you find what you actually searched for..

Last time I searched "calendar" I had to scroll down to number 17 in the list before it was even calendar related !!
And the next time I search calendar (the very next day) it's completely different results but still nothing useful..

I couldn't care less about emulating Windows Phone, as long as they would fix some pretty basic things like searching and viewing what an update actually does without having to go to every freaking app page to check..!

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Wow, definite improvement. You can now see full size screenshots, rate/review apps and see app permissions easier. Also the layout makes better use of the screen space.

Tip: to see details of an app in your installed apps list, tap the logo/picture next to 'Uninstall' button

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
I am pretty sure he means the fact that whatever you search for you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least 10 other completely unrelated crap before you find what you actually searched for..

Last time I searched "calendar" I had to scroll down to number 17 in the list before it was even calendar related !!
And the next time I search calendar (the very next day) it's completely different results but still nothing useful..

I couldn't care less about emulating Windows Phone, as long as they would fix some pretty basic things like searching and viewing what an update actually does without having to go to every freaking app page to check..!

Thats not googles fault its like searching for adw themes you get tones of go launcher crap before you get what you searched for.

Why because they add tags that are unrelated to there product to try get free advertisement and thats what the search picks up there fault not googles.

I do however think there should be rules against it.

Update:

When are they going to optimize this for the tablets properly the my apps menu looks abit of like its not scaled correctly?

Sent from my tf101 using xda premium 1.4ghz
3v3g985

Last edited:

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
You can add reviews in Market directly, finally. What kind of filtering are you looking for? There are filtering levels (everyone, low maturity, medium maturity, high maturity, show all apps) and clicking on games, then categories, you can select different types of games (racing, puzzle, etc). Not sure how you wanted to sort of filter, but I know you can definitely set the content rating, and at very least FINALLY review apps within market, lol.

Well if you can finally submit reviews, that's a positive change, then. Thanks for the info. Filtering-wise, though, I want to be able to do things like filter so I see only free apps, only paid apps, only tablet apps, etc., and to be able to sort by things like average rating, number of downloads, release date, etc.

Also, as noted by others, the app tags cause problems when the developers lie and tag their apps with completely unrelated things. It should be possible for end-users to see tags, and vote apps into oblivion if their tags are not directly related.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/29/download-updated-android-market-for-honeycomb-includes-in-app-review-publishing/

29cqwaw.jpg

2itivb9.jpg

--Thanks to droiddog uploading this video