[Q] V - Bootloops with modded framework-res.apk usual fixes not helping

Search This thread

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
Cool that there's recovery, but that's a huge bummer that framework-res still won't flash. Like I said, I've been too busy lately to do much about it, I was working on it with ticklefish in his thread but we didn't really get anywhere. :(

Sent from my LT25i using xda premium

Reactions: NuriJ

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
..and i dont think there will be a modded shutdown menu for jb. Sony seems to have removed the reboot "activity" in framework.jar.

:(

Just a stupid question... How does adb trigger a reboot? If we can still use the reboot command in terminal emulator, would some kind of workaround be possible using whatever activity that command uses? Sorry if this is a completely ridiculous suggestion, I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about, but this is the only thing that comes to mind for me.

NuriJ

Nov 25, 2011
:(

Just a stupid question... How does adb trigger a reboot? If we can still use the reboot command in terminal emulator, would some kind of workaround be possible using whatever activity that command uses? Sorry if this is a completely ridiculous suggestion, I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about, but this is the only thing that comes to mind for me.

That would be possible but.. I think its a "crude" way to do it :/ because intsead you could just add a script shortcut to your homescreen and press it everytime you want to reboot

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
That would be possible but.. I think its a "crude" way to do it :/ because intsead you could just add a script shortcut to your homescreen and press it everytime you want to reboot

Yeah, I figured it would be a pretty dirty workaround to do something like that, but then my knowledge is pretty limited, so I threw it out there. :) Oh well.

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
The shutdown files were moved to services.jar in the jb update :banghead:

I will update it asap :D Still, too bad we cant edit main framework yet..

Man, you're making it hard to stay on ICS! :D I'll probably jump over to JB now that you've got this and the lidroid mod worked out.

Still hoping that someone cracks the code on this framework problem. I don't know enough to even make an educated guess. :(

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
Hmm. Bad zip. What did you use to add your changes to the original zip? Winrar or something else?

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Maybe the same problem? Duplicate entry? Somewhere, something.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/android-developers/nrl9mKjZCrs

I've always used winrar. I suppose I can try with 7zip and see what happens.

I'll follow up with that link tomorrow when I'm hopefully not so tired, thanks for that. I've also got some suggestions to try out from the apktool thread, so hopefully this is on its way to being solved. But again, I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow evening.

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
If it is any consolation, I am working on a CM10 ROM port and have run into similar problems after making a simple change to /system/framework/framework-res.apk: Phone hangs at boot animation. I haven't tried recompiling without changes, but I imagine the outcome would be the same.

I am using Virtuous Ten Studio, 7-zip and CSigner.

CSigner yields no errors except it doesn't zipalign because it claims that it can't find ADB --- even with ADB in PATH and/or inside the CSigner directory.

Anyway, I wonder if it is necessary to build framework-res.apk from scratch...?

[UPDATE]: A potential option is to use overlays to modify the framework-res.apk configuration: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2017043.

Here's a quote: "It is in the source code tree, and is a much cleaner method for altering framework resources at runtime than the procedure others have been using of decompiling, editing and re-building, imo. "

Last edited:
Reactions: shockwaverider

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
If it is any consolation, I am working on a CM10 ROM port and have run into similar problems after making a simple change to /system/framework/framework-res.apk: Phone hangs at boot animation. I haven't tried recompiling without changes, but I imagine the outcome would be the same.

I am using Virtuous Ten Studio, 7-zip and CSigner.

CSigner yields no errors except it doesn't zipalign because it claims that it can't find ADB --- even with ADB in PATH and/or inside the CSigner directory.

Anyway, I wonder if it is necessary to build framework-res.apk from scratch...?

[UPDATE]: A potential option is to use overlays to modify the framework-res.apk configuration: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2017043.

Here's a quote: "It is in the source code tree, and is a much cleaner method for altering framework resources at runtime than the procedure others have been using of decompiling, editing and re-building, imo. "

Indulge a noob here... If I understood correctly, that method overrides framework-res.apk's resources.arsc? In other words, this is basically in lieu of modding xml's in the res/values folder? Or can it be used to override anything, anywhere in framework-res? I'm all over this if it works, especially if the "traditional" methods don't work, but I'm trying to get my head around how, for example, to use this to "edit" styles.xml, which has a lot of identical entries. From what I took away from the thread you linked to, everything gets dumped into config.xml, with no structure a la res/values. Or am I missing something?

And then a bit of a status update: As suggested in the apktool thread (and as I should have thought to do anyway), I diffed the public.xml from the original framework-res.apk and my rebuilt version. Every single id value in it is different. Specifically, every value in the original begins 0x010xxxxx, whereas in the recompiled version every one starts 0x030xxxxx. Here's where my noobness comes in again (and yes, I will google it) - I honestly don't know enough about how public.xml is built during compile to know if this is out of the ordinary. I do know that when I did the same thing with SystemUI.apk just to see what would happen, the diff showed identical files. So there's that, hopefully it's potentially useful. I haven't checked back in on the apktool thread with this, that's my next stop.

Last edited:

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
Yes, this is really helpful, now we at least know why.
Because of this 1 to 3 change, all resources are unavailable.

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T

That's what I figured, but I wanted somebody smarter than me to say it first! :D

And confirmed in the apktool thread:

Apktool or aapt ignores package id, thus the IDs of the package (the first few bytes) are wrong. I've been trying to figure it out.

Yeah, that has been a common issue that Ibot has commented on the past that he's trying to fix. It plagues many if us trying to mod the manufacturer's proprietary frameworks. The only work arounds are to hex edit it or go through every jar and system apk and redirect those IDs to the android framework-res, which you can edit. Pita

Guess it's time to start using those workarounds. :eek:

Last edited:

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
The first is a good idea. But we would need to know what to hex edit.

The second is a bad idea, with almost 8000 resources. :)

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
The first is a good idea. But we would need to know what to hex edit.

Yeah, just out of curiosity I fed the resources.arsc from an original/untouched and from a decompiled/recompiled (otherwise unmodified) framework-res into vbindiff and as expected, basically the whole window was red. Even assuming that public.xml is the only thing getting corrupted (I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to go through and diff everything in /res/values just to be sure), is there any way to isolate and somehow patch that part of the hex code into resources.arsc?

(edited because I'm stupid! :p )

Last edited:

shockwaverider

Aug 13, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
OK, I read up a bit on the thread that sendust7 linked to, which in turn links to another thread HERE. It seems like it may be a workaround for the problem we're having, but I'm not all that confident in my ability to get it working without a little bit of feedback about potential problems. To that end I've posted the following in that thread:

So I don't know if anyone has done any follow-up with this, but we have a situation with the Xperia V (and T, more or less the same device in many respects) that makes it impossible to flash or push a modified framework-res.apk. Specifically, the resource-id's inside resources.arsc (public.xml) are getting mangled during recompile and while apktool doesn't show any errors (this is a known, reported issue), the apk is unusable and causes bootloops.

What you've presented here seems like a light at the end of the tunnel. But while I'm confident in my ability to follow directions, I'm afraid I'm too much of a noob to foresee possible reasons for this not working, which is basically what I'm requesting feedback on. Here's what I have in mind, please feel free to point out the holes in my plan...

1. Create the overlay, with the config.xml containing the proper resource-id's as found in public-xml.
2. Push the overlay. It seems to me that with an unmodified framework-res.apk in place, the overlay will simply replace the values from resources.arsc with identical values, thereby having no effect on the system. Any problems at this stage, then, would be from errors on my part, and naturally I would rather weed them out before the next step...
3. Push a modded framework-res.apk and hope that with the overlay in place and doing its business, the corrupted resource-id's will be quarantined and unable to wreak havoc on the system.

It sounds easy, so I'm sure I've missed something. I appreciate any feedback, scathing or otherwise.

I guess the main thing to do is just to do it, so I'm going to take a crack at it as soon as I can, but if anyone here cares to point out whatever flaws they spot, that would be helpful as well! :)

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
Seems like a long journey. I give up for now. Much can be done without framework-res modifications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Attached is the logcat I get when pushing framework-res. If someone who knows more than me wants to take a look at it, great.
    I know that there are already several thousand threads on forums spanning the internet involving recompiled framework-res.apk's causing bootloops, but the ones that are actually useful pretty much all say the same thing, that is to replace the meta-inf folder and AndroidManifest.xml from the newly built apk with the ones from the original file. Needless to say, that hasn't worked in my case, and neither has changing from apk-manager (wanam's latest version) to using command line apktool or from using flashable zips to adb pushing the file to /system/framework. Primary and secondary frameworks are both installed. The apk decompiles and recompiles without errors. SystemUI.apk, the only other apk I've worked on thus far, flashes without issues. I don't have a lot of experience with adb, and right now I can't remember the exact error it gave me, "protocol error" perhaps? Firmware is deodexed 9.0.1.D.0.10 / Nordic "SuperSport".

Quite probably I'm doing or not doing something really basic that will make me look and feel foolish once this is resolved, but I'm out of ideas and I just want to start modding some 9.png's. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Sv: [Q] V - Bootloops with modded framework-res.apk usual fixes not helping

Try the framework-res from here and let me know

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36503238
    Yes, I think the apk tool is not compatable with ICS framework without some modifications. There are work arounds but asking the people who use it most will get you the best answers

True. The jump from GB to ICS was a huge PITA for me, and I'm somewhat dreading upgrading to JB, as far as theming goes.

I finally just found this version of APK Manager in my DropBox, it's the one I used for months without problems but couldn't find it before because I stuck it in the wrong folder when I changed computers recently. Nuri, if you want to try it go ahead, I'm at work now and won't be able to do anything with it for at least another 12 hours, and possibly not until this weekend. I know it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to try.

EDIT: I also found this in the Xperia T/V/whatever Apps & Themes forum in the "[MOD] Reduced size onscreen buttons" thread, basically that another user (with a different device?) solved his bootloops by replacing the resources.arsc in his rebuilt apk with the original. I haven't followed that up because to be honest, that's only mildly useful for me as I tend to do a lot of modifications in /values/styles.xml as well as in other values files, so of course I need to be able to use the rebuilt resources.arsc. But for anyone not doing any edits in values, this may be enough of a workaround to get a working framework-res.

That's what I figured, but I wanted somebody smarter than me to say it first! :D

And confirmed in the apktool thread:

Apktool or aapt ignores package id, thus the IDs of the package (the first few bytes) are wrong. I've been trying to figure it out.

Yeah, that has been a common issue that Ibot has commented on the past that he's trying to fix. It plagues many if us trying to mod the manufacturer's proprietary frameworks. The only work arounds are to hex edit it or go through every jar and system apk and redirect those IDs to the android framework-res, which you can edit. Pita

Guess it's time to start using those workarounds. :eek: