(2010 JAN 05 UPDATE) Thin layer of coating coming off the HD2 hardware buttons edges

HD2 buttons paint problem?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I've had mine for 7 weeks now, and it looks exactly the same as it did when I got it. The one thing that I did notice is that the buttons on mine have always looked like the home button on the last lot of photos. They're straight black, with no coating on them at all!

uccoffee

Account currently disabled
Dec 20, 2004
sunking101, can you please upload the pic, so that I can show the HTC HK staff..

sunking101

Nov 25, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Here you go mate. :mad:

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

MaskedMagi

Dec 20, 2009
Interestingly I swapped my two week old HD2 for a new one today and although so far the newer one is better in terms ob battery cover and flush screen and runs smoother (though may be due to 2.02 ROM), I believe that the newer one has the same problem (or at least it will do) with the button coatings coming off. There is also a heck of a slide and play in the bar of buttons, they can really move a lot side to side if you push it around.

The older model I had had amazingingly sturdy metallic looking keys with no give whasoever. They almos seemed like real metal, whereas the ones on this newer one are very much plastic. I could swear that the buttons were segregated instead of being in one piece as well on the older one, but I think this might be my imagination running wild with me unless anyone wants to support this?

uccoffee

Account currently disabled
Dec 20, 2004
I used to have a prophet, the buttons are in "SILVER" , and the paint will eventually come after after being used for sometimes. That's why at the later release of prophet, they ve changed the button to BLACK, the paint kind of some off slower.

DrATty

Apr 26, 2008
I have the same problem and have e-mailed HTC. I can still return my HD2 for a refund but I'll see what they say first.
It doesn't suggest quality manufacture in my opinion. My phone is in a Noreve case and I rarely use the buttons but here I am, 3 months on; and my £500 mobile looks tatty. It won't send messages reliably, has an out-of-date OS, types on its own and crashes daily, buy that's WM for you. I'll put up with these foibles but not with it looking antique.

Archange1

Jan 20, 2009
Sydney
I bought my HD2 about three weeks ago and I just noticed there's a dust-like scratch along the edge of the home button and its definitely not dust :(

rawrscary

Apr 7, 2010
Brisbane
I also got this after only 2 weeks of use, I ended up just scratching the layer off the home button and honestly it looks fine. When the rest eventually starts peeling i'll do the same to them.

Telstra HD2 T9193

lokiderelb

Apr 24, 2007
I think that all of you that have theire buttons peeling, are using the case thats send with.

i use it to and it seems to me thet this little lether pocket is ripping the coat of.

nitr00

Jan 11, 2009
NL
FYI

Im using the HD2 since 30/11/2009 and the coating is still like new on my device.

Perhaps HTC economized on the coatings for later HD2's...

DrATty

Apr 26, 2008
Well my brand-new THIRD replacement HD2 had a slight peeling on the windows button straight out of the box! I tried to scrape it all off but it will not budge...so now my button looks a right mess. I would like to ask the OP how he managed to remove the coating without causing damage....:confused:
Perhaps there wasn't any paint or cover on the buttons on your new device. I don't know and I hope it's not the case, but it's worth checking and being certain before scraping away at the buttons.

taita

Nov 19, 2007
how many of you use the HD2 inside the original HTC case? because, i´ve always use mine in the case, and barely use those buttons, and the buttons start to peel off too.
Maybe it´s because of put and taking out the hd2 in the case?

DrATty

Apr 26, 2008
I think that all of you that have theire buttons peeling, are using the case thats send with.

i use it to and it seems to me thet this little lether pocket is ripping the coat of.
i got HTC reply, nothing much they can help since I m not in Hong Kong.

Anyway, the girl from HTC said there was no one complain about the key's paint coming off.... I just wonder can those people who 's got problem and voted yes, would you mind at least send a complain letter to HTC please.
I used the supplied case for a few days only. I have used a Noreve flip case ever since. I can see what you are suggesting though, and I agree that it would probably be more likely to happen with the pouch that come with the HD2.
I did report the problem to HTC. I didn't receive a reply. The buttons really do look messy now but I haven't applied HTC's 'hardware hot-fix.' I'm worried that my phone will end up looking worse than it does now. I do everything I can to avoid scratches and, apart from the buttons, my HD2 is pristine. There isn't a mark on it and this makes the buttons all the more obvious.
I've noticed now that fit of the metal battery cover is getting worse as well. It was never perfect but I think the constant resets needed are taking a toll. These annoyances, and the fact that the vigour of the vibration feedback from my phone is lessening, says to me that HTC have cut more than a few corners this time.

maniep

Jun 1, 2008
Wow!

Those pictures of the phone keys look terrible.

It is definetely a flaw on the product.

My phone is 2 months old and it does not have it yet, but I do try to use the screen and not the bottom keys whenever there is a need.

Example, to go to the home tap, I click on the star icon and then the home icon on the screen.

Fif23

Jan 24, 2009
Mine are starting to fade off.. I've had it for 2 months now.

Oh well, when they do finally fade, it will give me a reason to get a new Evo without those stupid low-tech Nokia type hard keys.

verx123

Oct 10, 2009
I'm using my HD2 since late November and the buttons are still as new as ever.Maybe it's because i don't have fingernails :D