My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Search This thread

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah, Chrome defintely causes (hopefully caused) reboots for me, but it was random - there wasn't a specific thing I could do in Chrome to cause a reboot.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Although it's far from a confirmation that the reboots have been fixed in 4.2.2, I just updated 11 apps while browsing different tabs in Chrome, and the N10 handled it fine and didn't reboot. This is something that I've noticed cause a reboot on multiple occasions in the past. Hopefully it's a good sign.

Touching wood!!!

scottws

Feb 10, 2012
Nexus 10 user here that has at least daily freezes or reboots on 4.2.1, even with location services disabled and completely abandoning Chrome.

I got the 4.2.2 OTA and installed it today. I am going to keep location services off and keep using Firefox instead of Chrome so the use case remains the same for a week or so. I will make sure to update with my experience on 4.2.2.

If all goes well, I will turn on location services and begin using Chrome as well and I will check back in after some time with that configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: riqjuan

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009
There was some postings from Google developer(s) saying that they found a cause of the Null Pointer Exception (NPE) errors that were causing the random reboots. The fix(es) are applied in Android v4.2.2 release. Let's hope it really catches all the causes of the random reboots.

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/6c5406acd72eed31f2b4e12f5eddc0e2d2a951e2

https://android.googlesource.com/pl...+/61ecb02f544d9abd098506afb50cb514818f4eb4^!/

I got this from postings in the Google support groups forums here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0

They say it is fixed. Location manager was misbehaving and causing activity manager parcel() method to get NPE errors. So according to this, it seems the location manager was at least the culprit of many random reboots. (But in my take, other misbehaving apps caused reboots too). But they also said they added the catching of errors in the activity manager so that it will not reboot on NPE I think...
I hope it is truly fixed now.

Reactions: riqjuan

riqjuan

Feb 28, 2007
This is all promising news, let's hope we see the back of these reboots.
But alas, still waiting for my N10 to receive the update.

Keep us posted on the progress of this issue from your experience.

picachux

Apr 30, 2008
Los Angeles
I've been running the 4.2.2 update since yesterday and i have around 10hrs use. Battery is greatly improved, doesn't get as warm as it did before while just using falcon, g+, chrome beta. Since the update I've had location on and so far no reboots.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My reboot experience was one every two days (4.2.1).

I'm now on a rooted 4.2.2 (no wipe) and I'm fine after a couple days of normal use.
Performances are the same.
At the moment NO REBOOT. Let's wait at least a week of solid use to be happy!! :fingers-crossed:

riqjuan

Feb 28, 2007
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but while I haven't had any reboots - my N10 just froze up on me while in the Play Store app, had to force reboot.
Just updated to 4.2.2 this morning. Not a good sign.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

frelnik

Aug 2, 2007
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but while I haven't had any reboots - my N10 just froze up on me while in the Play Store app, had to force reboot.
Just updated to 4.2.2 this morning. Not a good sign.

My one freeze since updating to 4.2.2 has been in the Play Store app as well. Or more precisely, when exiting the app. Hasn't locked up yet in Chrome though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

scottws

Feb 10, 2012
I just experienced a freeze and reboot on my Nexus 10 running 4.2.2 immediately after enabling WiFi. The previous uptime was 1 day 18 hours, which is better than my average (but not my max) under 4.2.1.

dowenprs

Apr 1, 2010
I hate to say it too, but I've had 4 reboots since updating to 4.2.2. Three of them have been freezes and forced reboot and one was a random reboot as it was sitting there doing nothing. I'm beginning to wondering if something is physically wrong with my N10.

Peace

Dan

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
No reboots yet and I had over 5 hours screen time before recharging. I did fully wipe back to 4.2 and the updated to 4.2.1 and forced 4.2.2 with framework clear. I wonder if I am just seeing good results from wipe. I say this because last time I wiped and went to 4.2 it lasted a few days before reboots cropped up.

eman5oh

Aug 18, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I'm fine after 4 days. No wipe and usual set of apps.

Can the OP be amended to insert a poll about reboot/freeze + reboot issue after 4.2.2?

Same for me 4.2.2 seems to have fixed the rebooting for me as well. No problems running the latest chrome beta with location services turned on. On 4.2.1 mine would reboot 3-4 times a day doing the same.

Hasi Popasi

Mar 4, 2010
AW: My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

The chrome crashes seems to be fixed, no it crashes after every update through Google Play :( ... this is with 4.2.2... Unbelievable, will Google ever do any kind of QA on their releases.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2

MetaMs

Apr 20, 2011
Cocoa, FL
Can't Update Apps

The chrome crashes seems to be fixed, no it crashes after every update through Google Play :( ... this is with 4.2.2... Unbelievable, will Google ever do any kind of QA on their releases.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2

My N10 was crashing on every app update or app update notification. I upgraded to 4.2.2 and now I cannot update or install apps at all. I get this error message:
"Update for "app name" could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-5:AEC-0])"

Any suggestions before I call Google and demand a refund for this POS?

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My N10 was crashing on every app update or app update notification. I upgraded to 4.2.2 and now I cannot update or install apps at all. I get this error message:
"Update for "app name" could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-5:AEC-0])"

Any suggestions before I call Google and demand a refund for this POS?

Try to clear cache and data of google play.
As a second attend I'd go for a full wipe of the tablet.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I facing crazy crash, hang and auto reboot in 4.2 and 4.2.1 stock.

Then much better in CM10.1 on 4.2.1 but still happen sometimes.

Latest CM10.1 on 4.2.2 running so far fine for me. I do factory data reset when installing latest CM10.1 on 4.2.2

I am using Chrome beta with location service on. At least it has been nearly a day on + never hang for me in CM10.1 latest 20130216 build on 4.2.2

Last edited:

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
I personally haven't had a reboot since installing 4.2.2 the day it was released, but seeing so many people with crashing reports is really bothersome.

I don't use Chrome Beta and I have location services disabled on my N10 (don't have a need for them since my N4 is with me at all times, and I use that for location-related things). I wonder if that could be why I've been having luck w/ no reboots (although in the past, I did in fact have freezes/reboots with these settings off).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We tell our customers who are rooted and testing to use Catlog (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

It works well, has filtering, and can periodically write logs to a file so you don't miss something. If you don't know when your device is going to have an "issue" that you want to log, it is probably best to be conservative and have Catlog save more often.

To make sure you catch every crash, we tell our customers to use Bootlog Uptime (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

It will alert you with a Notification each and every time the device is restarted without you telling it to. It is an invaluable tool to use alongside Catlog to figure out when and how often a device is rebooting.
    Update from "Paul from Google" on the Google thread:

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to post your experiences and share information with the community. We're continuing to investigate this issue, and we'd like to collect some additional bug reports from some of you still experiencing this.

To submit a bug report please follow this checklist:

•You have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.2.2.
    •You have not modified the software on your tablet by installing a custom ROM or manually flashing/upgrading to Android 4.2.2.
    •There's no need to have your device in safe mode.
    •IMPORTANT: Your bug report must be captured immediately after your device reboots. Any delay, even a few moments, may mean the reboot data could be missed by the bug report. I recommend setting up your device for capturing a bug report well in advance of a reboot -- instructions are in the link below.

For further info and instructions on submitting a bug report (including the set-up instructions) please see this page:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport&src=7638530

Note that this page should only be used to submit reports about Nexus 10 spontaneous reboots running Android 4.2.2. Please also note that we will not be responding to individual reports, but will post updates in this forum thread.
    We cannot explain definitively why some people and devices show the soft-reboot issue and some don't, but we do have some theories:

• Heavy usage of Location Services and the apps that depend on this causes the issue to happen more readily
    • Poor or no GPS signal strength causes the issue to happen more often
    • Poor or flaky WiFi connectivity causes the issue to happen faster
    • Frequent use of Chrome makes the issue more likely to happen
    • Not having reboot/crash tracking logging means you won't catch every reboot

The last item on the list is why we load Catlog (for root only on JB devices) and Bootlog Uptime (no root required) on every device we test with immediately after getting it:

Catlog -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat
    Bootlog Uptime -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

Between these two apps, neither of which we make, we can find out fairly quickly if a device is stable, crashing or behaving in a bad way. Without these apps, however, it is just a guessing game, since no one can watch a device 24/7 or when the screen is off.

As a matter of personal opinion, and from more than a decade of building, managing and shipping products (hardware and software), I don't believe in luck as an acceptable reason for why one device behaves well while another device responds badly. It almost always comes down to how the device is configured and how the customer is using it that determines stability or not. I am by no means an expert, but when looking into problems I prefer looking at instrumented and logged data versus customer observations as the data tends to be more reliable.

It is great that you haven't experienced the soft-reboot issue on your Nexus 4, but lets not discount the hundreds of customers who have already reported this behavior on their N4's, as well as the N10's, GalNexus's and other devices since upgrading to 4.2.x. And to feedback on another post 'solution' above: we reflashed our Nexus 10 with CM 10.1 and, surprise-surprise, the soft-reboots are still there, at least with Chrome usage, as we would expect while running the same base kernel, same WiFi and GPS radio code, and same core Google libraries.

I apologize in advance if this post comes of as curt or condescending, as that is not my intention. Instead, I'm trying to pass along some of my methodologies and experience from working in the semiconductor and software worlds while asking that we all try to gather data that will help Google fix the issue.
    No need to return the tablet for software issues.... Updates will come quick. That's a Nexus!!!

Not sure if this will help any of you but I'll share my experience.

I never got any reboots on my Nexus 10 but I didn't have Chrome installed so I thought that might be why. One day I installed flash and went through a hand full of browsers to see which supported flash. To my surprise none did so I uninstalled the browsers and settled with AOSP browser and Ocean browser as they were the smoothest.

Soon I experienced my first reboot. I never thought much of it I just thought my luck ran out. I did wonder why AOSP browser didn't work with flash though. I was reading one day and found that the version of flash I had may not work with 4.2.1 so I uninstalled it and installed the one ending in.27. To my surprise AOSP browser started working with flash but so did Ocean. I then started to get mad freezes and reboots.

My Nexus would freeze for a couple seconds then reboot at any time I was using it. I did a couple factory resets and restores and the problem always came back. One day I started over and was selective about what I restored and when I didn't restore nor install flash - no more reboots. I'm now on CM 10.1 with 4.2.2 base and no reboots so far so for me flash was the culprit.

TL;DR - Uninstall flash, clear cache and Dalvik and see if you still have reboots or at least less reboots.