[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] Back Atcha Verizon-- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux

Search This thread

invurzion

Dec 21, 2007
Since AdamOutler is taking a well deserved vacation (or at least a week away from here). I decided to circumvent CASUAL and finish jailbreaking my Note2 with my Mac. All you need to do:

A) run CASUAL
Code:
java -jar CASUAL-BackAtchaVerizon-TESTING-Revision273b.jar
B) After reboot, you'll get into Download mode a second time, prepared to flash recovery.
* go to the directory where CASUAL unzipped its images, and do the heimdall flash (this will vary, but you can find it in the shell output from the first flash) & flash them with heimdall
Code:
cd "/var/folders/rr/b_f2_qnd5j72yldmnhr516_w0000gn/T/TempCASUAL6546AEC4/Beta Galaxy Note 2 Jailbreak/"
heimdall flash --82 swagBoot --60 recoverThis

So ... I have no idea how to do this. I was getting the same issues that the previous poster was getting with the device just going back to download mode on it's own and getting stuck there.

You are referencing using Heimdall - I have no idea how to access that/circumvent CASUAL or anything of that nature. I have a Mac, but I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to doing anything other than basics when it comes to navigation.

Is there a way to access Heimdall? It is not in my applications list and when I go to Terminal and try to use the code that you posted - no love.

Thanks for all of your work on this Adam and Soba - for your attempt at helping us who are currently stuck.

soba49

Nov 6, 2010
boston, ma
Is there a way to access Heimdall?

Well, the short answer is you need to properly install heimdall on your Mac, before CASUAL can run properly.

You have a few options to install heimdall: the .dmg file, the zip file with the pkg installer, or installing it from source code.

Option 1: The DMG file appeared in Adam's most recent post:
https://android-casual.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo/Heimdall_1.4.1_compressed.dmg (heimdall 1.4.1 DMG)
Ideally, you can download this, install it, and stop reading.

I haven't tested Option 1 myself, so if for some reason that doesn't work, here's Option 2.
Option 2:prior to that there was only a ZIP file with a PKG install file inside it. That's how I installed it. The file is here:
http://d.pr/f/52Ip (heimdall install zip)​

What I did to install this is described here (post #440 from page 44 of this thread):
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37676841&postcount=440
The gist of it is: A) unzip the file to some directory, and open the pkg file via sudo (the driver part of it didn't install correctly for me without elevated permissions)
Code:
sudo open "Heimdall Suite (1.4 RC2).pkg"

Option 3: Build heimdall yourself from source. I can't recommend it, it involves installing macports, getting heimdall source code, compiling a late version of GCC from source (which took more than 4 hours on my newish computer), and running all the heimdall makefiles.

The 2 most important parts that heimdall installs are the binary and the driver.

BINARY
The binary is installed correctly if you type "which heimdall" or "whereis heimdall" and it shows you the executable file:
Code:
which heimdall
/usr/bin/heimdall
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/heimdall
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ainsley  staff  226988 Jan 28 13:54 /usr/bin/heimdall

DRIVER
You cannot be 100% sure that heimdall is really working correctly until you can type "heimdall close-pc-screen" in a terminal window, and get "Setting up interface..." and NOT "ERROR: Claiming interface failed!"
If you get that error message, you either have a USB connectivity problem between your phone and computer, or there is some funky permissions issue with the way the heimdall package installed its driver. CASUAL can't do its thing until this works. Examples of the full incorrect and correct outputs are also in this post #440.
Code:
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/heimdall.kext/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Feb  6 17:25 Contents

>>>>>>>

The long and more correct answer would be for me or someone to put a post into general that provides detailed instructions on installing and uninstalling heimdall on Linux, Windows, and Mac. I haven't even tested the new .dmg myself yet, I've never bothered with heimdall on other platforms etc. so If I'm going to write said guide myself, it isn't coming any time immediately.

donelam304

Feb 16, 2013
Danville
Re: Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13

I have went thru this step by step and watched the video at the first part of this post. I just bought my new note 2 and on the LL4. I done all the drivers, installed casual and as well as odin 3.07, BAVbaseline, and backatcha. Here is what I done.

1. I hooked the phone up to my computer. Waited for it to recognize it.

2. Started casual and clicked OK the first time.

3. Started odin and loaded the file "BAVbaseline.tar.md5" in the PDA block.

4. Closed odin and reopened it and loaded "backatchaverizon.tar.md5" in the PDA block.

5. Went to casual again and clicked the ok til the phone rebooted in to downloading mode. And it stayed there. I let it run last nught for well over an hour and nothing.

I have watched the video and dobe it exactally as it is done there. Is there a video that shows the screen of the phone while it is being rooted. If anyone has any suggestions please pm me in case this has been asked already. I have been thru at least 30 pages on this topic. Lol.

EDIT: I am on a windows based computer btw...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

larry_thagr81

Dec 30, 2012
Make sure you've turned on USB debugging in developer options under Settings and have the latest version of Java for windows PC. Also make sure that you turn off your Antivirus and Firewall protection. Lastly, it's important to note that many people are having success after flashing the Root66 stock VRALJB 4.1.1 12/2/12 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207.

1. Open CASUAL and wait until it shows device connected.
2. Select Do it and it will give you a couple of warning prompts, which you must accept before it reboots your phone into downloading mode.
3. Open ODIN and add the baseline file to the bootloader area and select start. Wait for it to show COM #, where # is some assigned number in the ID:COM field. Select start and it will flash the baseline, but wait for it to show a status of RES and then PASS after a minute or so right above the ID:COM title.
4. Shut ODIN down completely after getting the PASS status and allow the phone to reboot and DON'T press continue in CASUAL yet.

Important side note:
The phone will start to reboot and CASUAL will say press continue so that you can flash the baseline, which you just did. So DON'T PRESS CONTINUE YET. Allow the phone to fully boot up and then press continue in CASUAL because CASUAL will then perform the first exploit on the baseline that you just flashed and then CASUAL will put your phone back into downloading mode for the next flashing.

5. Now your phone should be back in downloading mode, open ODIN on the computer.
6. Repeat step 3, but add the backatchaverizon file to the bootloader area and press start when ODIN is communicating via the COM #. This should flash the second file (backatchaverizon) and restart the phone once again.

Another important side note:
7. CASUAL will tell you to press continue, but DON'T PRESS CONTINUE YET because CASUAL can only perform its magic when you are fully booted into the Android operating system.
8. Only then should you press continue so that CASUAL can perform the final exploit on the backatchaverizon file that you should have just flashed with ODIN in downloading mode, which will then automatically reboot your phone into TWRP recovery.

Let me know if this helps.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I have went thru this step by step and watched the video at the first part of this post. I just bought my new note 2 and on the LL4. I done all the drivers, installed casual and as well as odin 3.07, BAVbaseline, and backatcha. Here is what I done.

1. I hooked the phone up to my computer. Waited for it to recognize it.

2. Started casual and clicked OK the first time.

3. Started odin and loaded the file "BAVbaseline.tar.md5" in the PDA block.

4. Closed odin and reopened it and loaded "backatchaverizon.tar.md5" in the PDA block.

5. Went to casual again and clicked the ok til the phone rebooted in to downloading mode. And it stayed there. I let it run last nught for well over an hour and nothing.

I have watched the video and dobe it exactally as it is done there. Is there a video that shows the screen of the phone while it is being rooted. If anyone has any suggestions please pm me in case this has been asked already. I have been thru at least 30 pages on this topic. Lol.

EDIT: I am on a windows based computer btw...

Have you tried flashing the root66 file prior to attempting to root and unlock?

Last edited:

donelam304

Feb 16, 2013
Danville
Make sure you've turned on USB debugging in developer options under Settings and have the latest version of Java for windows PC. Also, it's important to note that many people are having success after flashing the Root66 stock VRALJB 4.1.1 12/2/12 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024207.

1. Open CASUAL and wait until it shows device connected.
2. Select Do it and it will give you a couple of warning prompts, which you must accept before it reboots your phone into downloading mode.
3. Open ODIN and add the baseline file to the bootloader area and select start. Wait for it to show COM #, where # is some assigned number in the ID:COM field. Select start and it will flash the baseline, but wait for it to show a status of RES and then PASS after a minute or so right above the ID:COM title.
4. Shut ODIN down completely after getting the PASS status and allow the phone to reboot and DON'T press continue in CASUAL yet.

Important side note:
The phone will start to reboot and CASUAL will say press continue so that you can flash the baseline, which you just did. So DON'T PRESS CONTINUE YET. Allow the phone to fully boot up and then press continue in CASUAL because CASUAL will then perform the first exploit on the baseline that you just flashed and then CASUAL will put your phone back into downloading mode for the next flashing.

5. Now your phone should be back in downloading mode, open ODIN on the computer.
6. Repeat step 3, but add the backatchaverizon file to the bootloader area and press start when ODIN is communicating via the COM #. This should flash the second file (backatchaverizon) and restart the phone once again.

Another important side note:
7. CASUAL will tell you to press continue, but DON'T PRESS CONTINUE YET because CASUAL can only perform its magic when you are fully booted into the Android operating system.
8. Only then should you press continue so that CASUAL can perform the final exploit on the backatchaverizon file that you should have just flashed with ODIN in downloading mode, which will then automatically reboot your phone into TWRP recovery.

Let me know if this helps.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Have you tried flashing the root66 file prior to attempting to root and unlock?

ok, that worked great. thank you so much. i am doing a backup now. i have not flashed root66 yet. once the backup is completed, what do you recomend that i do next. thanks again for the assistance.

ITAdmin

Sep 6, 2006
Philadelphia
Hello all!

Ok, I have tried this in both Windows XP and Windows 7 with no luck at all! In the video, it says to open the .jar file using Java, but there are no .jar files in the downloads? All I have are .tar.md5.gz file extensions. I tried to open the backatchaverizon file with java and I get a black screen that flashes open and closed quickly, but nothing else?

What am I doing wrong? I have a stock phone that has the VRALL4 update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ITADMIN

kenobi112

Feb 10, 2010
Just picked up the Note 2 a few days ago and decided to get this thing started with some ROM's ... thanks for the work that has gone into a tool like this. I am running into a problem and am hoping for a little help. Decided to use the Linux side of things for this tool (trying to get a little better at it).

Phone is being recognized fine.
I press Do it and it starts its thing for just a moment...
It disconnects after about 5 seconds and I get ....

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3CASUAL SCRIPTING ERROR: java.lang.RuntimeException: JOptionPane: type must be one of JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE or JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGEJOptionPane: type must be one of JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE or JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGEJOptionPane: type must be one of JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE or JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGE

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks for the help.

kwineon

Oct 18, 2007
Milwaukee
Re: Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13

Just picked up the Note 2 a few days ago and decided to get this thing started with some ROM's ... thanks for the work that has gone into a tool like this. I am running into a problem and am hoping for a little help. Decided to use the Linux side of things for this tool (trying to get a little better at it).

Phone is being recognized fine.
I press Do it and it starts its thing for just a moment...
It disconnects after about 5 seconds and I get ....

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3CASUAL SCRIPTING ERROR: java.lang.RuntimeException: JOptionPane: type must be one of JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE or JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGEJOptionPane: type must be one of JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE or JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGEJOptionPane: type must be one of JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE or JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGE

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks for the help.

Run as sudo. Look a few pages back. Permissions aren't elevating properly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

kenobi112

Feb 10, 2010

"Fn A" I should have thought of that... Thank you... Will try again later and report back.

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
Hello all!

Ok, I have tried this in both Windows XP and Windows 7 with no luck at all! In the video, it says to open the .jar file using Java, but there are no .jar files in the downloads? All I have are .tar.md5.gz file extensions. I tried to open the backatchaverizon file with java and I get a black screen that flashes open and closed quickly, but nothing else?

What am I doing wrong? I have a stock phone that has the VRALL4 update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ITADMIN

Perhaps you missed this link? It may be the .jar file you are looking for? Sorry if you have already got this. But it is the .jar file from the OP.

http://d-h.st/ipp

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Alright.. I'm going to be out for the next week. If you're having problems, try this. If you have a problem with this one, and I mean ANY problem, please click About>Show Log>Copy to Clipboard and paste it in this forum. This will contribute to CASUAL's development. This is a totally separate application from the one in the first post.

if you're having problems download this CASUAL TESTING version

Changelog... lets see, the last version was Revision 218.. this is Revision 272.
Changelog is here: https://code.google.com/p/android-casual/source/list

Here's some highlights

Multi-threaded launch means faster startup time.
Reverted to JDK6 instead of JDK7 because its more compatible with more systems
Handled libusb -3 error by elevating permissions
Removed false permissions escillation required on Linux
Better Error Handling with more detail.

Mac SHOULD be one-click, but you must install Heimdall First! Then reboot.

kenobi112

Feb 10, 2010

So fixing the - 3 libusb permissions should not be my problem. When I get off work, I will tinker around and see what the issue is. I have a few ideas.

tdwp16

Jun 2, 2011
Im having issues with casual seeing my phone. Also when I try to use odin for any of the tar files they fail. Im new to the bootloader thing..lol

kenobi112

Feb 10, 2010

Im having issues with casual seeing my phone. Also when I try to use odin for any of the tar files they fail. Im new to the bootloader thing..lol

Windows or Linux? If it is windows, check drivers, then cable, then port. Linux, check cable, then port. Make sure usb debugging is on either way under developer options in settings (can sometimes turn itself off).

wog81

Jan 9, 2011
California
First and foremost - Thank you Adam for the work you have done putting this together!

Ok... like many others I was having issues getting the BackAtchaVerizon.tar to flash. I kept getting to Nand...blah, blah, blah... in Odin then it would freeze. I would do a battery pull then try again. My phone was stock (NOT rooted) and I had accepted the OTA to VRALL4. I am using a windows 7 computer.

Here was my fix:
1. Download all the file in the op except CASUAL.
2. Instead, download the CASUAL version that is found on post 551
3. Verified that your java is up to date.
4. Completely shut down your computer, leave it off for 1 minute.
5. Turn your computer back on and let everything settle in.
6. DISABLE YOUR VIRUS/FIREWALL PROTECTION.
7. Use the USB Cable that came with the phone
8. Follow the instructions in post 544. According to Adam it does not matter if you place the files in the PDA or the Bootloader section of Odin. I used the Bootloder area.

Hopefully the magic will work for you as it did for me :)

Reactions: cej7122

larry_thagr81

Dec 30, 2012
ok, that worked great. thank you so much. i am doing a backup now. i have not flashed root66 yet. once the backup is completed, what do you recomend that i do next. thanks again for the assistance.

Assuming you are referring to backing up your internal memory and external SD card info on to your computer, then the next step would be to use ODIN and flash the root66 file. If you are already on some stock version of the Note II ROM, then you don't have to worry about loosing any of your information either. But it doesn't hurt to do a backup anyways.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

See post #544

pd240

Aug 9, 2010

I have a verizon note 2 that is currently unlocked, rooted with twrp recovery. Due to a wifi issue I can't solve, I am planning on going back to stock using Odin. I want to use the restore file that does not change the bootloader so I can keep it unlocked. I am assuming the Odin file will flash stock recovery. HOw do I flash an alternate recovery with an unlocked bootloader and stock recovery?

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA

I have a verizon note 2 that is currently unlocked, rooted with twrp recovery. Due to a wifi issue I can't solve, I am planning on going back to stock using Odin. I want to use the restore file that does not change the bootloader so I can keep it unlocked. I am assuming the Odin file will flash stock recovery. HOw do I flash an alternate recovery with an unlocked bootloader and stock recovery?

Easy way. Download Rom Manager from the market and flash recovery. Or Goo.manager if you want TWRP.

pd240

Aug 9, 2010

Easy way. Download Rom Manager from the market and flash recovery. Or Goo.manager if you want TWRP.

The factory rom won't be rooted though. Both goo and rom manager require root to flash recoveries.

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: new version available here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066.

FIRST!!! First jailbreak under the new 2012 DMCA Excemption that is. First "Android Jailbreak" ever... Gah that name erks me... Anyway, You’re here to legally Jailbreak your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

Introduction
    CASUAL will guide you through the process. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. This is not only the first release of this new Exploit, but it’s also a beta-test of CASUAL. I expect problems... however this will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

We decided to start a new thread becasue the old unlock method is tried and true on Windows with VRALJB. This method is based on a totally new exploit.

Overview
    You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. If Microsoft VC Redistributable is required, click next, next, next. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
    Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
    CASUAL(R465b) Back Atcha Verizon CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Jailbreak video for Windows users only!
    This video desmonstrates CASUAL used with Odin to flash the Galaxy Note 2 firmware Thanks to DroidModderX.

Jailbreak video for LINUX only!
    This video demonstrates the one-click CASUAL Linux Unlock method... at 2AM.. so don't expect me to be cheerful.

About CASUAL
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Updates
    CASUAL provides updates WAAAAY quicker than Verizon. As soon as I push an update to the Subversion repo it appears automatically in EVERY casual. See below for the change log.
    25JAN13: Initial release.
    25JAN13: put your device into download mode automatically on Windows. Windows users, let me know if this is annoying. -auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: Instruct Windows users to install the proper bootloader -- auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: more concise directions --auto CASUAL update
    7MAR13: Initiated beta test of one-click operation on all platforms!
    17MAR13: Cross-platform Heimdall is now in effect with CASUAL R311b
    20MAR13: Removed mac blocker from script --auto CASUAL update.
    6APR13: kill-switch activated as most of repository has been restructured and drivers/dependencies will not be deployed. This will be resolved soon with a new version.
    7APR13: New version includes better driver support via jrloper's CADI and on-the-fly updates for drivers and more. 32/64bit Heimdall for Mac is now supported. Several irrelevant command line features were added as well.
    18APR13: CASUAL R417 Several fixes with improved logging and pastebin support thanks to jrloper
    2May13: killswitch for old versions implemented.
    Ironically I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole used this time had they not added the blacklisting of the old versions. Looking at the code for that gave me a push in the right direction
    Troubleshooting
    70% of problems with CASUAL involve USB cables and USB ports. All other problems can be tracked back to Windows XP.

CASUAL Stops and my phone is in Odin Mode/Download Mode
    Use a different USB cable and a different USB port. Personally, I have two USB cables which work for everything and anything but they fail when it comes to Odin/Download Mode.

CASUAL displays Disconnected and won't let me press the button
    Put your device into ADB mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

CASUAL is not working and it's not something above
    Did you install drivers? If you installed drivers, you need to uninstall and delete them. You don't need them because Windows installs them. Actually, they're poisonous, and some drivers install themselves with a future date which causes them to be un-upgradable. This means, you've shot yourself in the foot. You can run Samsung Kies and do the troubleshoot connection wizard, or you can go to device manager and uninstall the driver + delete driver.

CASUAL is not working and I'm absolutely sure it's not a driver issue
    1. Let everything sit for a bit. CASUAL will generally pop up a troubleshooting message.
    2. If you're sure nothing has happened for the last 3 minutes, disconnect the USB and restart the device normally.
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Try again using a new stock USB cable, on a different USB port, preferably located in the back of the computer.

I just want to annoy you
    First grab a hammer and go outside into the back yard and hit yourself repeatedly in the head. If you do not have a hammer, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a yard, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a head, mission accomplished.
    You probly caught it in the middle of a commit. try this: http://d-h.st/6c6

This is CASUAL Revision 311. This includes quicker startup, a full Open Source stack of software, no Odin, auto-downloads, auto-executes, and it works on Windows and Linux. For Windows you have Drivers and MSRedist (both installed by CASUAL), this is a one-click procedure. We are working on making it easier by the day and expect the next release to be even easier. For now, the driver requires you to select "Gadget Serial" and hit install.

I will bump this up to the first thread now because I've already tested on Window and Linux. Droid Modder X said he would have a video out soon.
    there no way to unlock boot loader on odin another way ?
    Please stand by. I expect to have everything working again today. The purpose of the down-time is to ensure there will be no Downtime in the future. I'm working on it now...

Basically, its down because jrloper and myself are reworking and upgrading. the CASUAL repository system. It will soon be infinitely expandable and able to pull resources from anywhere.

An unfortunate side-effect of this is Quality Control takes a bit of time.. as we test, its getting better, faster, accommodating for more errors, performing more troubleshooting, becoming safer and even accounting for errors in data transfer across the internet.

Its almost ready.