[GUIDE] [BIN] Compile busybox on Linux

Search This thread

Feb 6, 2013
About Busybox: busybox.net/about.html
More on Busybox: busybox.net

This is just for anyone who wants to try, and especially those without access to a PC.

:
: --------------- BUILD STEPS --------------
:

Things we'll need besides your phone:
- "Android Terminal Emulator" app
- "Complete Linux Installer" app , I also recommend trying "linux deploy" for more advanced usage
- internet/wifi
- latest "busybox" source

1) We need to get Ubuntu or Debian booted for a sufficient build environment (kali linux works well too). I've used them all on Android but I like the better stocked terminal in the Ubuntu images. I used the app "Complete Linux Installer" which is free and works beautifully, very simple and easy. In the app you want to follow the short instructions to download an Ubuntu image, rename it to ubuntu.img, and place it in a folder named ubuntu in /sdcard. Then hit menu in the app and click the terminal screen icon that says "Launch". An Ubuntu terminal will now open in Android Terminal Emulator. Super quick and easy.

2) Let's download some crucial build environment tools.
Code:
apt-get install -y gcc build-essential libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libsepol1-dev libselinux1-dev
--EDIT-(30AUG2014)--
For Selinux compatibility and loginutils, we need to also download a few extra packages. Already included in the code above.

3) Now the cool thing about this chroot Ubuntu environment is that we still have access to the sdcard to transfer files between Android environment and the chroot jail. Extract your downloaded busybox source to your Ubuntu home with something like:
Code:
cd
tar -xf /sdcard/Download/busybox*bz2
cd busybox*
4) Now we can build busybox statically. The first thing we do is generate a Makefile by running "make" with a "defconfig" (default configuration file) Usually you will run "./configure" with other programs, but busybox compiles more like a kernel, so it uses a config which has a huge checklist of options.

(After successfully compiling busybox, we can go back and customize the .config; this entails that for each "CONFIG ..." line we see, we can uncomment it and mark it "y" or "n" to configure some option... This can be more easily done from a terminal busybox menu interface with "make menuconfig". You just need to crank font down to 7 or use telnet/ssh)
Skip "make defconfig" if you use a customized ".config" file such as one I've attached.
Code:
make defconfig
If all goes well, we now have a Makefile and are ready to compile:
Code:
make clean && make LDFLAGS=-static
Let "make" crank out the binary for a couple minutes. The extra variable we set after make is to compile statically. When compiling is complete we'll have a few different busybox binaries at the root of the source directory. We use the one named "busybox" since we're not debugging.

5) Now let's copy it to /system/usr/bin to install for test usage.
Code:
cp ./busybox /android/data/media/0
(Open a new terminal tab to get into Android Environment)
mount -o remount,rw /system
mkdir -p /system/usr/bin
cp -f /sdcard/busybox /system/usr/bin
chmod 0555 /system/usr/bin/busybox
/system/usr/bin/busybox --install -s /system/usr/bin
mount -o remount,ro /system
PATH+=:/system/usr/bin
.. and done. Run some scripts and enjoy your static busybox!

:
: Extra steps for SELinux-enabled busybox
:

Here are the extra steps you need to take to compile busybox with SELinux features. Sorry it took so long to get this added to this first post.

First we need to download the source for libselinux and libsepol and compile it. (This is for use with the standard glibc toolchain.)
Code:
cd
apt-get source libselinux libsepol
cd libselinux*
make
cd
cd libsepol*
make
Now that we have those libraries compiled, we can proceed to the busybox compilation.
Code:
cd
cd busybox*
make clean && make LDFLAGS='-static -L ../libselinux*/src -L ../libsepol*/src' CFLAGS='-Os -I ../libselinux*/include -I ../libsepol*/include'
That's pretty much it. It initially seems more complicated than it actually is, but all we're really doing is including the libraries for libselinux and libsepol into the busybox compilation.

edit:
**Commands to run if you have compile errors:
Code:
apt-get build-dep busybox
apt-get install -y build-essential
apt-get -f update
dpkg --configure -a

:
: --------------- DOWNLOADS --------------
:

***** Attached are flash installers for busybox (v1.23.1 stable, non-SELinux, 374 applets included!, ~1.1MB size) or busybox (v1.23.1 stable, SELinux, 386 applets included!, ~1.6MB size) *****
Since it's up-to-date it has some nice extras most people haven't seen like a "-I" option for xargs! Yes, that is correct, busybox xargs has its testicles back.
Code:
e.g.
$ echo Hello | xargs -I{} echo {} world!
> Hello world!
: ---------- UPDATES ----------

-------------------EDIT-2-(30AUG2014)----------------------
Got a Selinux-enabled busybox attached now. This means Selinux flags are integrated into applets like ls, id, ps, etc, and there are now 12 extra Selinux applets to give a total of 386 applets, ~1.6MB in size. The previous one is more portable, but this one can completely replace toolbox and gives you Selinux control for Android 4.4+. Plus it's pure maxed-out awesomeness.

***I've also attached the .config files for each busybox I've compiled, so anybody can remake them (from their phone!) as I've posted. You just need to download and extract the .config file to the root of your busybox source directory and type "make".***

-------------------EDIT-3----------------------
YashdSaraf has made some very useful flash zips to install either the non-selinux- or selinux-enabled busybox 1.23.1 via recovery. Installation replaces the stock busybox in /system/xbin. I've attached the zips he made to the end of this OP.

(**Note: Thought I'd mention that there will be a handful of applets that don't work in "Android" environment such as su(don't worry this isn't linked with the installer) Part of this is because of the way Android's default file structure is an amputated modified version of linux. With almost all of them, slight modifications to environment and file structure can be made to get them to work. This is just normal behaviour of busybox in android. The su and init applets shouldn't be used in Android though. I keep them compiled into the binary anyway for completeness of the build and because they work and are needed for a root.gz initrd or some chroot environments. It also doesn't hurt keeping them compiled in. You just have to remember not to link them when installing busybox.

-------------------EDIT-4-(06SEPT2014)----------------------

:
: How to compile against(using) uclibc for a smaller binary!!
:

Download the attached arm-linux-uclibcgnueabi toolchain package that I pre-compiled. Extract to /data/media:
Code:
cd /data/media
zip='/sdcard/Download/2014-09-06__arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi.tar.lz.zip'
unzip -op "$zip" | lzip -d | tar -xf -
Then let's open up the "Complete Linux Installer" or "Linux Deploy" terminal.
To use the toolchain with a busybox build, we just need to specify the parameter CROSS_COMPILE which is a prefix to the compiler tools. So if you extracted the toolchain to /data/media, you will use:
Code:
make clean && make LDFLAGS=-static CROSS_COMPILE=/android/data/media/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-
When you're done you should have a busybox binary with 374 functions with size around 1.1MB. That's a 20% decrease in size from using the standard glibc toolchain!

**IMPORTANT Notes
- The toolchain can't be used with lollipop since it's not compiled with -fPIC. I'll fix this later. Busybox is fine since it's static, it's just the toolchain I uploaded.
- Selinux-enabled busybox .config errors out when building using the uclibc toolchain; I think this is a lack of support issue. In the "Complete Linux Installer" app you'll need to add the mount "/data/media" in options. This gives you access to it as "/android/data/media", very very useful for extra space needs.

Difference between SELinux and non-SELinux busybox

The SELinux (NSA security enhanced Linux) binary comes with the following extra utilities: chcon, getenforce, getsebool, load_policy, matchpathcon, restorecon, runcon, selinuxenabled, setenforce, setfiles, setsebool, and sestatus. There are also some selinux flags enabled for applets such as "ps" and "ls", e.g. "ps -Z" and "ls -Z" to show the context for processes or files. If you are using Android 4.3 or newer, then you probably want to use the SELinux-enabled busybox since Android 4.3 is when SELinux was introduced to Android. Using the SELinux busybox on older version of Android without SELinux file structure should probably work besides the SELinux applets, but I haven't tested this. The non-SELinux binary can be used on any version of Android. When it comes down to it, the system actually uses "/system/bin/toolbox" SELinux applets for SELinux operations, so unless you specifically want to use busybox's SELinux tools for personal use, the safest option is to go with the non-SELinux busybox. I use Android 4.3.1 and 5.x, so I use busybox's better featured SELinux tools.

Latest updates see post 2

Busybox 1.23.1 (2015-02-06) below

Attachments

• config_non-selinux.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 190
  • config_selinux_enabled_386fcns.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 2014-09-06__arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi.tar.lz.zip
    14 MB · Views: 273
  • lzip.zip
    333.2 KB · Views: 174
  • busybox_uninstaller.zip
    4 KB · Views: 212
  • busybox_nonselinux_1.23.1.zip
    653.9 KB · Views: 266
  • busybox_full_selinux_1.23.1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 793
Last edited by a moderator:

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
Great Info here!

But I would be interested to know how well this method works on Samsung Stock devices running AOS 4.2 and above? Any experience?

Reactions: 7175

YashdSaraf

Sep 4, 2013
Mumbai
Awesome info, this thread came up #1 while googling busybox 1.23 :p
I made a flashable zip of the attached binary in the op to clean the old one(if any) and install the new busybox in xbin, just in case if anyone needs it. :good:

Attachments

• BusyBox-v1.23.0.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,342

Feb 6, 2013
Great Info here!

But I would be interested to know how well this method works on Samsung Stock devices running AOS 4.2 and above? Any experience?

Thanks man. I've been compiling tons of stuff with Debian and Ubuntu chroot no problem on top of 4.3.1 Vanir and also 4.4.4 Carbon, both are my daily drivers. "Complete Linux Installer" is pretty fast compared to some other chroot apps like GNUroot (no offense to GNUroot, it works but is way too slow). It runs real-time compared to non-chroot. When compared to my dual-core 2007 Pentium M laptop, it's about 2-3 times as slow which isn't too bad for compiling something like mksh or even busybox which takes up to 5 mins I'd say.

In terms of binary size, compiling natively is better than cross-compiling it seems. I used gcc with no size optimizations here, so 1.37MB is pretty nice compared to some others around 2MB with full configs. With this method and klcc (gcc wrapper) I got mksh compiled to 192KB. I'm currently trying to build a uclibc toolchain on my laptop that will give me a mksh binary under 300KB..

Awesome info, this thread came up #1 while googling busybox 1.23 :p
I made a flashable zip of the attached binary in the op to clean the old one(if any) and install the new busybox in xbin, just in case if anyone needs it. :good:
Cool thanks man! That is really useful, glad to hear from CALIBAN that it works. Could I add this to the OP with credit to you?

Is it work on xperia sp on 4.3 fw yes ?
Yes, xperia sp uses armv7 so you should be good to go.

Reactions: kvevand63 and E:V:A

YashdSaraf

Sep 4, 2013
Mumbai
Cool thanks man! That is really useful, glad to hear from CALIBAN that it works. Could I add this to the OP with credit to you?

Sure bro go ahead
Edit: Went ahead and made one for selinux enabled busybox :silly: , you can add this one in the op too.

Attachments

• BusyBox-v1.23.0(Selinux_Enabled).zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Reactions: alecxs and 7175

Feb 6, 2013
Hey guys I was able to get an entire uClibc toolchain built the other day (using buildroot). I tested it and it makes some nice small binaries with about 20%+ smaller size than the standard glibc. Man that took hours to compile but was well worth it. It really put the stability of Android OS to the test as well. Kitkat absolutely couldn't finish compiling with multiple oom's and oops's, but Vanir 4.3.1 stuck it out real nice. Once I had the huge amount of required buildroot packages downloaded, I was able to compile in TWRP as well with good stability. (I have the "Complete Linux Installer" startup chroot script aliased in my mkshrc so I can pull up an ubuntu terminal without starting the app. :) )

So I got 3 new attachments to OP:
- arm-linux-uclibc toolchain for anyone who wants to compile stuff with it (host=arm AND target=arm)
- busybox (374 fcns, non-selinux) 1116KB
- lzip binary (in case you need it to unzip the toolchain, which is highly compressed from 64MB to 14MB with lzip's lzma)

**As I mentioned in the updated OP, I wasn't able to get selinux-enabled busybox compiled with uclibc. This may be something unsupported, or there may be a patch fix. I'll check it out. I'll try with musl libc and musl-gcc as well.

Last edited:

Feb 6, 2013
I have another approach, I try aboriginal cross compiler toolchain in archLinux it produced small binary, but I can't compile busybox for android. For Linux it work. Maybe need bionic lib?
Sounds interesting. I honestly haven't given this a try yet, but I'm very interested in taking a look at it. At this point I'm pretty much addicted to making the smallest binaries I can and testing out different toolchains. I'll give it a good search on duckduckgo, and if you have any insightful links that would be great.

Edit: Alright cool I found the source for Aboriginal Linux at landley.net/aboriginal and am building on Android now. I'm also trying this on my x86_64 laptop so that I can compare the differences like I have with glibc, uclibc, musl, klibc binary builds in a native environment and a cross-compile environment.

I see from my laptop's build that a busybox was generated, but it was dynamic and has a libc.so.6 dependency. @ndrancs : this might be what you were talking about. Did you try compiling static? Also see if "make allnoconfig && make clean && make LDFLAGS=-static" works for compiling busybox with Aboriginal Linux.

Last edited:
Edit: Alright cool I found the source for Aboriginal Linux at landley.net/aboriginal and am building on Android now. I'm also trying this on my x86_64 laptop so that I can compare the differences like I have with glibc, uclibc, musl, klibc binary builds in a native environment and a cross-compile environment.

I see from my laptop's build that a busybox was generated, but it was dynamic and has a libc.so.6 dependency. @ndrancs : this might be what you were talking about. Did you try compiling static? Also see if "make allnoconfig && make clean && make LDFLAGS=-static" works for compiling busybox with Aboriginal Linux.
I preferred to use uclibc I think it easy to setup and produced small binary.. Aboriginal cross-compiler use uclibc as default. Btw I don't use cmd : LDFLAGS=-static instead I set it in .config.. Maybe I try this later.. ;)

Reactions: 7175 and CHEF-KOCH

Feb 6, 2013
I preferred to use uclibc mk it easy to setup and produced small binary.. Aboriginal cross-compiler use uclibc as default. Btw I don't use cmd : LDFLAGS=-static instead I set it in .config.. Maybe I try this later.. ;)
Ok yeah I like how aboriginal set up with uclibc, and it has scripts for each build stage, so you can stop at the toolchain. I'll be interested to see their future releases with the musl libc as well.

Also for anyone interested, I figured out how to run dynamic binaries in android:

- make the directories "/lib" and "/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf"
Code:
mkdir -p /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

- copy the linker "ld-linux-armhf.so.3" to "/lib"

- find a specific binary's dependencies: e.g. for dynamic mksh do:
Code:
strings mksh | grep \\.so

- copy the listed libs to "/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf": e.g. for mksh that would be libc.so.6. The libs/linker you copy over will come from the mounted ubuntu/debian/... image you have mounted like with "Complete Linux Installer".

- adjust your LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Last edited:

Feb 6, 2013
@ndrancs @exodius48 : Thanks for notifying me guys, I needed to get around to updating to 1.23.0 stable. I updated the original post with no-edify installers for busybox 1.23.0 stable. There's a non-SELinux uclibc compiled version and a full 386-applet SELinux glibc compiled version. They're included in this post too for ease.

Attachments

• busybox_nonselinux.zip
    669 KB · Views: 67
  • busybox_full_selinux.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 182

exodius48

Apr 7, 2013
Yori's Heart
Xiaomi Poco F3
@ndrancs @exodius48 : Thanks for notifying me guys, I needed to get around to updating to 1.23.0 stable. I updated the original post with no-edify installers for busybox 1.23.0 stable. There's a non-SELinux uclibc compiled version and a full 386-applet SELinux glibc compiled version. They're included in this post too for ease.

Great..been waiting for this release.. :good:
Btw, can i use busybox_full_selinux.zip on android 4.2.2 MIUI rom?

Reactions: 7175

amit.bagaria

May 11, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
Hey @7175

Great guide. I am able to compile just fine on my device using your guide. However, is there any way to compile the selinux applets support using a Linux PC (or NDK)? I am not able to find a selinux supported toolchain. May be you can help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Busybox compilation on Linux

reserved
    BusyBox 1.23.2

Again as @bovirus requested busybox 1.23.2 flashable zip and a tar containing the binary. It's the SeLinux enabled one compiled against the uclibc toolchain by @amit.bagaria so the size is reduced by ~300Kbs. Also crond is fixed if someone wants to use cron (Previously it errored out saying no such user).
    @YashdSaraf
    Thanks for the clarification.

What's about SELinux version (or not Selinux) version use?
    Can I say that SELinux is ideal for Androdi 4.4 or up and not-SElinux version for Android 4.3 or lower?
    Or is there other any sggestion to identify the right use of SELinux version?

The explanation in the OP is pretty brief and precise.

The SELinux (NSA security enhanced Linux) binary comes with the following extra utilities: chcon, getenforce, getsebool, load_policy, matchpathcon, restorecon, runcon, selinuxenabled, setenforce, setfiles, setsebool, and sestatus. There are also some selinux flags enabled for applets such as "ps" and "ls", e.g. "ps -Z" and "ls -Z" to show the context for processes or files. If you are using Android 4.3 or newer, then you probably want to use the SELinux-enabled busybox since Android 4.3 is when SELinux was introduced to Android. Using the SELinux busybox on older version of Android without SELinux file structure should probably work besides the SELinux applets, but I haven't tested this. The non-SELinux binary can be used on any version of Android. When it comes down to it, the system actually uses "/system/bin/toolbox" SELinux applets for SELinux operations, so unless you specifically want to use busybox's SELinux tools for personal use, the safest option is to go with the non-SELinux busybox. I use Android 4.3.1 and 5.x, so I use busybox's better featured SELinux tools.

If you'd still like me to break it down, just look at the applets mentioned above in the first two lines. If you use any of those, and by you I mean YOU and not any mods or apps you might've installed, then I'd recommend installing the SELinux enabled busybox else go for the normal one. Now let me be very clear here "Installing normal busybox won't break any functionality of your apps or mods "(unless the dev has explicitly mentioned so). I hope this clears up things for you.
    Busybox 1.24.1

Here you go guys, busybox 1.24.1 compiled against the standard glibc toolchain hence the slight increase in size; uclibc is not compiling on my mi4 giving a linker error of which I don't know the source yet. Anyhow, attached are the flashable zips of busybox with and without selinux support and a tar consisting of both the binaries. ENJOY!

Busybox-1.24.1-SELinux_Enabled.zip
    Busybox-1.24.1.zip
    Busybox_bins.tar
    FIXED zips

Hey, guys I've uploaded the fixed flashable zips for people who were getting errors earlier when flashing. Thanks to @bovirus for testing and reporting. Some recoveries do not have a "/tmp" folder thus the zips were not flashing properly. However, these new zips do not use a "/tmp" folder and extract to the system partition directly.

NOTE: If the previous zips worked for you, there is no need to update to these. NO changes have been made to the busybox binaries, just to the zips.

Busybox_1.24.1_arm.zip
    Busybox_1.24.1_SELinux_arm.zip
    Busybox_1.24.1_x86.zip
    Busybox_1.24.1_SELinux_x86.zip