[MOD] Trackball Notifications in Succession [v 0.5] (CM-5.0.5.3)

Search This thread

metalhead8816

Jan 28, 2010
I pieced together a way to get notifications to be shown in succession. This is an initial version and it seems pretty stable as I have used it throughout the day.

The way it works is by cycling through the current notifications that in the system and flashing the trackball according to how each notification specifies their behavior.

If you see some odd behavior with Handcent it is expected as the default flashing rate has a light off period of 0, so you can change it to custom with a light off rate of 2000 to match that of GMail notifications. (as I have)

Special thanks to ChainsDD for some help today with general Android knowledge and I hope you all enjoy this. Please leave some comments and I will do my best to fix bugs and make improvements (Computer Science student at UCSD)

Root is required...

** Please read **
This enhancement should work on CM-5.0.5 as I have built the jar against his source. I don't guarantee it will work for the others.

Also, I cannot guarantee support for Desire roms. I know nothing about how the Desire is supposed to handle notifications. If HTC didn't try to do something fancy (read: stupid) with the notification code, then this will work as advertised. I have no plans to use or test this on a Desire ROM myself.

Like any other development project on this forum I will not be held responsible if this breaks your phone in any way. It only updates the services.jar from /system/framework so you should at worst only see boot loops.

If you are having issues:
- Please drop me a log in pastebin.

Changelog:

v0.5:
- Updated to use the new breathing light code. (Sorry for the long wait)

v0.4:
- Fixed to use the eclair branch code instead of donut
- Options for flashing while screen on, at all work now (eclair options)
- Fixed the sleeping issue. Should now work with the screen off.

v0.3:
- Hopefully a fix for the issue of the notifications not staying awake.
- More debugging output so people can get me some logs.

v0.2:
- Fix for multiple notifications of the same color.

v0.1:
- Initial version with succession

Donation:
Please donate if you like my work. It helps keep me motivated and working hard on Android.

Downloads:
- Attached at the bottom.
- servicesv05.zip provided by me.
- others provided by RixKliq (post #225 but attached here)

How to install:
1) Nandroid
2) Rename download from servicesv05.zip to services.jar
3) Connect phone to computer.
4) adb remount
5) adb push services.jar /system/framework
6) adb reboot

Attachments

• servicesv05.zip
    493.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • servicesv05-white.zip
    501.8 KB · Views: 299
  • servicesv05-white-noclock.zip
    501.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

GodDriven

Jan 27, 2010
New Jersey
Glad you made it! :D Get cyanogen to put it into his mod :).

Do you think this will rock out with the Desire Rom... I am about to push it over but I just need to understand the differences between this and chain.. I gather no color distribution in notifications.. I have seen that Chain Version did not prosper on this Rom.. I keep forgetting this is from something that comes out in two months.. Lol..

Thanks..

mattyboy247

Dec 24, 2009
Fairbanks AK
Appears to work pretty well... any chance of speeding up the flashing? So far is working well with 3 notifications. Waiting for twitter to update and see how 3 looks. though I think it will take too long to see more then two as it flashes slowly.

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
nice work mate- you should speak to lilH3rmit. he has an alpha version of Trackballcolornotify2 that allows different colours to be shown for different apps (stock and non-stock)... his has an altered framework.jar....

if you 2 got together the end result would an all in one app :D

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
cool work, but can you post a version with white text?

do you want white everything? or just the stuff in the statusbar? i can change colour of clear button and provider as well.

***edit*** here is one with white status bar stuff. just change the .zip to .jar as above- untested BTW but mine worked, and it was only slightly different. shouldnt affect the hacks done here...

Attachments

• whiteservices.zip
    512.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
just a word- am using this with Trackballcolornotify2 and it works awesomely!!!! thanks so much for this one.

BlueScreenJunky

Feb 25, 2010
just a word- am using this with Trackballcolornotify2 and it works awesomely!!!! thanks so much for this one.
hummm... link please ? I'm not sure which mod you're talking about since there are a few around..
thanx !

And of course thanx a lot to metalhead8816 for this work, I hope it gets included in cyanogen mod.

kep0ne

May 20, 2007
works great...blinks green then cyan...going to test out missed call. nice work!

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
hummm... link please ? I'm not sure which mod you're talking about since there are a few around..
thanx !

it's in alpha testing phase at the moment. Watch this space i reckon for something that could be awesome. He wants to make it so it will support EVERY single app so you can choose ANY colour you want for the trackball.

BlueScreenJunky

Feb 25, 2010
Ok thanx, that would definitely be great in combination with successive notifications !

Loving my N1 more and more thanx to you guys, keep up the good work =)

AC!D

Feb 27, 2006
Erlangen
do you want white everything? or just the stuff in the statusbar? i can change colour of clear button and provider as well.

***edit*** here is one with white status bar stuff. just change the .zip to .jar as above- untested BTW but mine worked, and it was only slightly different. shouldnt affect the hacks done here...

thank you, works perfect!

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
how hard is this on the battery - do you have to wake up the CPU every time you change the color?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I threw together this white text version, this is untested tho as I'm running CM6 nightly builds now.

Rename to services.jar & push, as usual...

Works perfect, thanks!

I really need to learn how to modify these myself. Any tips on where to start of what applications I need?