XDA-developers ROMkitchen: cook your own ROMs

Search This thread

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
Announcing: ROMkitchen

Special Edition ROMs are soooo yesterday.... We're proud to unveil our largest project yet: ROMkitchen. Now you too can modify your ROM to contain precisely what you need. Create your personal ROM, based on the ROM you like.

Wanna see: Have a look at our showroom kitchen to see what we mean. As you can see the showroom kitchen shows the PPC2002 based 3.17.03 ROM released by O2, as well as the 4.00.05 Microsoft WM2003 test ROM. Neither of these ROMs is really present though: you need to download the scripts, include your own ROM images, and run the scripts on your own unix machine. But once you do, you and your friends can create ROMs to your heart's content.

Why didn't we just include these files and make it all work? Because we're not licensed to distribute these ROMs, that's why.

So now what?
  • Play around to see if you like it.
  • download all the files visible when logging in using FTP to xda-developers.com username 'kitchen', password 'kitchen'.
  • Put them on your own unix machine, which should be capable of executing php scripts, and which should have a 'little' memory, disk and processing power left over. (We're afraid ROMkitchen wasn't built with resource-efficiency in mind.)
  • Add your own ROM files, see the readme files in the "data/00[...]/_/cfg" directories for details.

Notes:
  • If you set up your ROMkitchen, make sure you only use it for yourself, and with ROMs you legally own. We're not responsible for abuses.
  • If you use an ftp-client which can ignore files which are newer on your side, you can regularly check for updates and always have the newest kitchen.
  • ROMkitchen does not yet support outputting self-extracting binaries a-la Jeff's exe. We're working on that.
  • ROMkitchen currently supports English language ROMs only. We're working on this too.
  • The welcome exe is back in ROMs made with it: a little too much hassle to make our own. So you'll have to go through the silly tutorial every cold-boot.
  • XDAunlock is missing still. (It will be incorporated, but most people will be making 4.00.05 ROMs, and it doesn't work on that anyway...)

How does it work?
The ROMkitchen consists of a number of php scripts that present the form with all the options to choose from, and which copy files ready for our 'mkrom' utility to process. If you take a look you can see the raw structure of the data that is presented and inserted into the ROM. We'll find some time soon to explain, but you can already learn quite a bit if you look at the files and directories carefully.

kalex

Jun 16, 2003
xda-developers u are AWESOME

I'm going to try it as soon as i get home tonight. So all that is needed at first is a 2003 or 2002 image file?

thanks

alex

Reactions: shahjalyn

Richjn

Jul 23, 2003
Australia
This looks awesome :)

Is it possible to run this program on Cygwin ? I have configuered the Cygwin download to include Bash and Perl but can't find a reference to dd. I confess that although I have a reasonable amount of programming experience I have never used Unix before so don't even know how to invoke the scripts :oops: so any help would be much appreciated.

Richard

kalex

Jun 16, 2003
just uploaded everything to my unix box and tried to run setup.sh from 4.00.05 directory. i also uploaded bootloader.nb0 and rom.nb1 files to the cfg directory. when i run ./setup.sh this is what i get:

[root@killer _]# ./setup.sh
Usage: splitrom <romimage(s)> [options]
-wx xipchain where to write xipchain
-wo osrom where to write output image
-wb bitmap where to write bitmap
-wl bootloader where to write bootloader

-rl bootloader which bootloader to use for NBF
-n nbfinfotext what NBF header to use [ex: PW10A1-ENG-3.16-007]
-ri nbfinfofile or where to read NBF header info from
-wi nbfinfofile where to save NBF header info
-rx xipchain where to get xipchain from
-rb bitmap where to get bitmap from
-rm romsection@offset insert new romsection.

-ob offset where to find the bootup image
-oe offset the end of the desired os image ( default: 0x81f00000 )
-t NBF | B000FF | NB? | IMG type of result image (default is NB1)

also when i tried to convert the default.fdf file to default.reg i get error saying "unknown fdf file signature" and it creates a 0 byte default.reg file.

any help is appreciated. i know i'm asking too many questions, but same happened with ur mkrom tools and once i got answers from u i was able to build roms without any problems.

thanks

alex

Phoxie_Phreak

Jul 24, 2003
Hold on a tick, if you guys added one more feature it would go nova, however. Some features I would like to see is the ability to mix drinks, roll joints, cook dinner, and cure premature baldness/cancer.

It would also be nice if you could arrange for the program to be delivered to my house by the drunken, naked Chinese twins, Fok u and Fok me.

You guys are the bomb. Keep up the great work!

-

itsme

Retired Admin
Mar 17, 2003
delft 52'00N 4'22E
www.xs4all.nl
# Put them on your own unix machine, which should be capable of executing php scripts, ...

this implies that you should also have setup a webserver, for running the php scripts.

you will have to change the 'splitrom' commandline in setup.sh depending on what source file you have.
it is not a configure all automatically script, just a guide, to what sort of is supposed to happen for setup.

Holy Cow, you guys are amazing....

This is just a short message to say I'm fighting with it as we speak. My friend's box does have PHP, this is good. I've already found that it needs two subdirs under its root ('download' and 'workspace') to be world-writeable. Took me a while to figure that one out. Haven't got it running yet though, this ROM setup.sh thing is far less than intuitive. But I have the two ROMs which have all the other mumbo-jumbo done: 3.17.03 and 4.00.05, and I will get this to run, if it's the last thing I do.

Jeff (Just back from the U.S., up since 4 am, severe jetlag)

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
Jeff Summers said:
I've already found that it needs two subdirs under its root ('download' and 'workspace') to be world-writeable.
Whoops... I guess you're right, that should have been documented. The things you take for granted sometimes...

Thanks, and good luck...

itsme

Retired Admin
Mar 17, 2003
delft 52'00N 4'22E
www.xs4all.nl
probably you are missing http://search.cpan.org/author/GBARR/Scalar-List-Utils-1.11/

which is included with perl 5.8, but not with perl 5.6.*

if you don't have root access to you box, you can also install ( see the README for build instructions ) list-utils in your home directory, by editing the generated Makefile, and changing 'PREFIX=$(HOME)', and then adding
Code:
export PERL5LIB=$HOME/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.*
to your environment. ( with '*' your perl version )

aleho

Jun 10, 2003
Hi, I tried create 4.00 based Rom on Jeff web and it works... thanks.
I discovered only small problem, that there are not installed links in Programs to extra included programs. But I can do it manually for now.

I tried to start my version of romkitchen on my notebook but I was stopped on integration PHP to IIS. I tried some last installer php-4.3.2-installer.exe for Windows but I got CGI error when I tried to access index.php. I'll work on it.
I hope that it will run too, like mkrom on Cygwin.

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
aleho said:
Hi, I tried create 4.00 based Rom on Jeff web and I works... thanks.
I discovered only small problem, that there are not installed links in Programs to extra included programs. But I can do it manually for now.
Ah, you haven't noticed that we put these in subfolders maybe. Go to Programs, and you should see subfolders. If you unchecked the option to put in these subfolders, then you have also unchecked everything 'below' that, meaning you haven't installed these programs.

I tried to start my version of romkitchen on my notebook but I was stopped on integration PHP to IIS. I tried some last installer php-4.3.2-installer.exe for Windows but I got CGI error when I tried to access index.php. I'll work on it.
I hope that I will run too, like mkrom on Cygwin.
Go for it...

aleho

Jun 10, 2003
Ah, you haven't noticed that we put these in subfolders maybe. Go to Programs, and you should see subfolders. If you unchecked the option to put in these subfolders, then you have also unchecked everything 'below' that, meaning you haven't installed these programs.
I had unchecked only few of programs to fit in ROM 4.00 free memory.
But folders in Programs like Phone, System tools,... were not in this case created, but they were checked.

Jabba

Feb 14, 2003
jeff: great work... :)
one bug i found: when i disable the modify rom and add programs i get an error: Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/jsummers/public_html/ROMkitchen/processor.php on line 480

i wanted to get the orig 4.00.05 rom without modifications :)

Jabba

Jabba

Feb 14, 2003
REQUEST: zipped Kitchen

Hi !

Thanks all developers! Great work :)

One request though: please put a zipped version of your ROMKitchen at your ftp -> downloading hundreds of files is a mess *g*

Thanks... Jabba

It's working now. Not really sure what was up, but it seems to have fixed itself.

Nice!!! These new ROMs are sooo cool. All the programs are stored in neat subfolders with icons....

I did find that D9 and PocketCHAT (The EVB apps) do not yet work on WM2003. It complains some EVB shared files are still missing.

cliffai

Jul 1, 2003
UK
Hi Jeff, just to say I've successfully used your ROM builder principally it has to be said to get hold of 4.00.05 :D so I only choose the Hot Fix item.

Checked in startup (which I've not looked in before) to see the hotfix and its there, there is also aFlashman, cFlashman Handsfree poutlook, SMSReciever, stk & Ussd. Are these part of the normal ROM? Just want to check that the thing is running as lean and clean as it can.

Many Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Announcing: ROMkitchen

Special Edition ROMs are soooo yesterday.... We're proud to unveil our largest project yet: ROMkitchen. Now you too can modify your ROM to contain precisely what you need. Create your personal ROM, based on the ROM you like.

Wanna see: Have a look at our showroom kitchen to see what we mean. As you can see the showroom kitchen shows the PPC2002 based 3.17.03 ROM released by O2, as well as the 4.00.05 Microsoft WM2003 test ROM. Neither of these ROMs is really present though: you need to download the scripts, include your own ROM images, and run the scripts on your own unix machine. But once you do, you and your friends can create ROMs to your heart's content.

Why didn't we just include these files and make it all work? Because we're not licensed to distribute these ROMs, that's why.

So now what?
    • Play around to see if you like it.
    • download all the files visible when logging in using FTP to xda-developers.com username 'kitchen', password 'kitchen'.
    • Put them on your own unix machine, which should be capable of executing php scripts, and which should have a 'little' memory, disk and processing power left over. (We're afraid ROMkitchen wasn't built with resource-efficiency in mind.)
    • Add your own ROM files, see the readme files in the "data/00[...]/_/cfg" directories for details.

Notes:
    • If you set up your ROMkitchen, make sure you only use it for yourself, and with ROMs you legally own. We're not responsible for abuses.
    • If you use an ftp-client which can ignore files which are newer on your side, you can regularly check for updates and always have the newest kitchen.
    • ROMkitchen does not yet support outputting self-extracting binaries a-la Jeff's exe. We're working on that.
    • ROMkitchen currently supports English language ROMs only. We're working on this too.
    • The welcome exe is back in ROMs made with it: a little too much hassle to make our own. So you'll have to go through the silly tutorial every cold-boot.
    • XDAunlock is missing still. (It will be incorporated, but most people will be making 4.00.05 ROMs, and it doesn't work on that anyway...)

How does it work?
    The ROMkitchen consists of a number of php scripts that present the form with all the options to choose from, and which copy files ready for our 'mkrom' utility to process. If you take a look you can see the raw structure of the data that is presented and inserted into the ROM. We'll find some time soon to explain, but you can already learn quite a bit if you look at the files and directories carefully.
    xda-developers u are AWESOME

I'm going to try it as soon as i get home tonight. So all that is needed at first is a 2003 or 2002 image file?

thanks

alex
    A huge THANK YOU for all the "xda-developers" and Jeff Summers ; guys, you rock !!! a ROM of our own , .....a dream, and so easy to do :D

Best site on the web, sure ! :wink:
    FuNk said:
    I don't know which rom to use from http://lumpistefan.dyndns.org/and can't work out which one to use, it comes up saying my phone version is wrong.
    mine PW10A:001
    rom PW10A:007

:?: :?: :?:

Your can use normally either PCC 2002 or WM2003. I nover tried the Beta one. But not all application listed in the kitchen works of both OS

- Could you diiscribe exactly the process you use to upgrade ?
    - What message exactly do you get and at what stage ?

Tanguy